Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPGS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPGS  (Read 33495 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:01 PM »

I mean, I can't remember the last time I fired up a Blu-Ray or DVD and had 2 hours of deleted scenes in the bonus features for a 2 hour movie.

I can.

Technically not 2 hours, but it's still equivalent to the length of the movie, roughly.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »

I'd honestly like there not to be a Final Fantasy for the next five years. Develop it properly and give it time to gestate. Create alphas and betas, review them with the public to some extent if you need to, and only after tweaking it all based on that feedback, release it. It's not wrong to listen to the public when building a game, but it hamstrings the process if you let the public dictate your vision at its root.

In all honesty though FFXIII's development was fraught with set backs and redesigns. Hell the game originally started development on the PS2, before it was moved and announced during E306. Nevermind the fact that they ended up going through two whole development engines which means that they had to recreate everything at least twice, and even at the end they had to get people in from the other teams to help finish up. It took them a little under 4 years from FFXII's release for FFXIII but it's been in the works since long before.

And they succeeded to an extent. They accomplished what they set out to do in creating a JRPG with a more action oriented battle system, as well as creating the development tools they'll probably end up using for years to come, as well as setting up a base for a long running video game series. And they even managed to find the time to squeeze together a demo of this engine for both investors and the general public to experience. First with the release of the complete version of FFVIIAC, then a longer demo in the form of FFXIII. Using various pieces of incredible artwork to show off just how much fidelity the game's engine could provide to said artwork, the odd and complicated vehicle and outfit designs were kept to near identical levels of detail both in and out of cutscenes, and battles demonstrated the impressive AI as well as providing a proof of concept of just how fast they can go when left to their own devices. There just wasn't any level design, coherent world building, meaningful character development, or context.

For instance, when you start the game, it's Lightning and Sazh crashing the train ride that Vannile, Hope, and Hope's Mom are on while Snow and mates are in a firefight, both in the attempt of rescuing resident loli-pop Serah-chan. Lightning and Sazh fight a giant flying robotic scorpion with sawblades and a giant fuckoff lazor while Hope's Mom is tough but Snow is a ManBearPig and both fall off a walkway to their doom where Snow shrugs it off and Hope's Mom is a tough stain to remove thus now Hope wants to write his name into Snow and Vannile is still there. Then they all meander to the Fal-cie and Serah-chan's side where she crystallizes tragically and everyone is now in the wrong place at the wrong time and become Hi-C. Then a lake froze over.

15 hours of going in a straight line later, Snow is taken captive because he refused to leave his loli-pop behind and is working with some chick named Fang and a doofus named Cid, Lightning is babysitting Hope and gave him a knife to facilitate his plans for writing his name in Snow and they've just reached his home town, Sazh has a son and Vannile was putzing around when he was made into a Hi-C thus suggesting that she's a double agent (though it's kinda hard to have loyalties to betray when your only motivation for being there in the first place is because you're on the same boat, even if its in a power plant in the middle of a junkyard). Not a hell of a lot happened, there was apparently a war, being a Hi-C is bad, there's an evil space pope, and everybody loves Serah-chan.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: April 01, 2011, 06:13:13 AM »

Lightning is babysitting hope and gave him a knife to facilitate his plans for writing his name in snow

Sorry, but that's just hilarious to read.
K73SK

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: April 01, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »

lol this has turned from a "Worst RPGS thread about various games" to a thread about "Worst RPG being FF."

Like Legaia? Check out my fan-site: http://www.legendoflegaia.net
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: April 01, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »

I love Aeolus's game synopses.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »

Eye of the Beholder I think was the name, it was a bad RPG.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2011, 03:18:02 AM »

Not exactly in order but these are the RPGs I absolutely dislike. Feel free to have an opinion on my list whether you agree or disagree.

Worst RPGs (IMO)

1)Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves(NES)-Avoid at all costs.

2)Final Fantasy VIII(PSX)-Just draw for an hour & see how much fun you have. Horrible story, unnecessarily abstract junction system.

3)Final Fantasy Legend(GB)-Need I say more?

4)Legend of Dragoon(PSX)-I cannot describe my dislike for this Fern Gully-esque pile o' junk.

5)Growlanser(PSX)-used an emulator for this. just awful.

6)Final Fantasy X-2-The battle system was fun, but that doesn't get passed the awful story/visuals/music/VA.

7)SaGa Frontier(PSX)-Why is the story in separate quests? Awful story/graphics/gameplay.

8)Unlimited Saga(PS2)-The characters have practically no dialogue. Fell asleep with this.

9)Sword of Mana(GBA)-no strategy involved, turns into a boring hack and slash.

10)Dragon Warrior(NES)-I need 5000 exp to level up, kill a HARD enemy I get ...5 exp? WTF!

11)Drakkhen(SNES)-Very dumb A.I. and too basic of a story. Drawings awful even for SNES.

12)Fatal Labyrinth(Genesis)-I don't even have to press anything when fighting monsters.

13)Orphen:Scion of Sorcery(PS2)-cannot save when you want, run when you want,level up when you want. What the heck am I supposed to do? Will die a lot in this game.

15)The Scorpion King(PS2)-Probably the worst ps2 game there is.

16) Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - Almost non-existent gameplay (thanks a lot Gambit system); completely forgettable story only backed by graphics; No character difference in gameplay; just forgettable overall, plays like an offline MMO.

17) Dark Cloud (PS2) - the rocket sled to tedium. Run around. Step 1: Fight a battle that's over in 3 seconds. Step 2: Collect Atla and watch an animation. Step 3: Find keys for locked doors to go to next dungeon. Step 4: Go to next dungeon. Step 5: Repeat the process over, and over, and over.

18) Final Fantasy V (NES/PSX) - at least VI was amazing after this. For some reason a lot of ppl seem to like this game but it was significantly underwhelming. Perhaps it isn't 'worst rpg' category...but I was really let down by it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:09:33 AM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:11 AM »

lol theres several things i'd like to attack you on but there is nothing abstract about the junction system in ffVIII

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: April 06, 2011, 04:07:47 AM »

lol theres several things i'd like to attack you on but there is nothing abstract about the junction system in ffVIII

Well, people will disagree on opinion :P Which out of the list do you disagree with me on?

As far as the junction system goes, it's probably my least favorite system in RPG history. I mean, you get a tutorial on practically every single thing in the game and it's just so needlessly involved that it feels like busy work. For one thing I dislike the fact that you need to combine your magic to practically everything from attributes to items, luck, attack/defense, etc. And the fact that you don't really have a magic spell that's set on MP but are given a specific quantity of it is just weird. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to make you have to draw for magic? The fact that you have to do it in battle makes it ridiculous. You're basically drawing for every single magic spell in the game in battle, and you're sitting there getting attacked while you draw, and it takes hours. And having a quantity of magic is abstract in itself, what does a cure spell even look like if you're drawing it from something? And that point matters because you have limited space for them so...why? And I realize you can limit your need for drawing with Triple Triad but that card game is just boring as all hell.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:16 AM »

I dunno if I said it in this thread earlier, but Cross Edge is one of the worst RPGs I ever had the displeasure of touching. It's a terrible game, terrible battle system, crappy music, crappy dungeon approach, shitty character design, FUCKING AWFUL story, and a lot of fanservice without actual servicing of the fans. I'd rather eat a whole box of laxatives and run a marathon.

DO NOT PLAY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!

TASTY!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:02 AM »

I dunno if I said it in this thread earlier, but Cross Edge is one of the worst RPGs I ever had the displeasure of touching. It's a terrible game, terrible battle system, crappy music, crappy dungeon approach, shitty character design, FUCKING AWFUL story, and a lot of fanservice without actual servicing of the fans. I'd rather eat a whole box of laxatives and run a marathon.

DO NOT PLAY THIS PIECE OF SHIT!

I tried that game out recently, actually. I didn't get through it because a friend owns it so I can't comment on the whole game. But, what I didn't like about it from the short time I played was the fact that they put you on a world map and make you get items by looking for souls and event triggers but you're given no clue as to where anything is so you're basically hitting the action button all the time while walking around in the hopes that you activate something. I don't think it's a game I'd care to finish.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: April 06, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »

As far as the junction system goes, it's probably my least favorite system in RPG history. I mean, you get a tutorial on practically every single thing in the game and it's just so needlessly involved that it feels like busy work. For one thing I dislike the fact that you need to combine your magic to practically everything from attributes to items, luck, attack/defense, etc. And the fact that you don't really have a magic spell that's set on MP but are given a specific quantity of it is just weird. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to make you have to draw for magic? The fact that you have to do it in battle makes it ridiculous. You're basically drawing for every single magic spell in the game in battle, and you're sitting there getting attacked while you draw, and it takes hours. And having a quantity of magic is abstract in itself, what does a cure spell even look like if you're drawing it from something? And that point matters because you have limited space for them so...why? And I realize you can limit your need for drawing with Triple Triad but that card game is just boring as all hell.

Drawing nearly always seems to get bashed on (as taking hours to do each time) by people that hate FF8, even though it really is only necessary to draw just a couple of times AT MOST in battle for one spell. We can also use draw points outside of battle to draw.
I thought Triple Triad sucked, although I hate most card games.
Junctioning is shitty but auto-junction made it tolerable.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »

Drawing nearly always seems to get bashed on (as taking hours to do each time) by people that hate FF8, even though it really is only necessary to draw just a couple of times AT MOST in battle for one spell. We can also use draw points outside of battle to draw.
I thought Triple Triad sucked, although I hate most card games.
Junctioning is shitty but auto-junction made it tolerable.

You get a lot of the better spells earlier in battle than you do in the field and the sole reason for the INT stat to exist is to make it more likely to draw more spells from enemies at one go. Card Mod (and a bunch of the various refine abilities) however are where the real spells are held. The real reason for my dislike of FFVIII is that everything just takes way too fucking long, battle transitions, characters changing poses for their attacks or changing from being at critical pose to the standard pose to the ready to attack pose, and summons with their unskippable cutscenes. The plot being very anime in the worst way and having almost every character as a shallow lump of meaningless motivations and stats didn't help either.

FFV is well liked because it has a job system that doesn't have a lot of bullshit requirements to use, nor stupid long grinds to get anywhere, nor forces you to spread your time and experience across more people than your party can hold, nor heavily suggests which character goes where based on their base stats, nor is used in a game where you don't have the time to explore at least one or two paths per character, nor does reaching a high level early with a magic casting class make that character horribly broken, nor does it not include a way to get the best from most classes all at once. The plot is silly but serviceable, the characters are one dimensional but the lighthearted plot doesn't require any more than that, and the game does have its moments like fighting X-Death in the Forest and the Battle on Big Bridge. If there's any reason I can see anyone hating on it is because its either too lighthearted and not DRAMA!!! enough or because of the barely improved or even slightly downgraded graphics from FFIV (this nearly got me when I first played this (well that and that I had to choose between it and finally finishing FFVI)). Too bad Squeenix keeps giving their love to FFIV when V could use a 3DS remake.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »

Drawing nearly always seems to get bashed on (as taking hours to do each time) by people that hate FF8, even though it really is only necessary to draw just a couple of times AT MOST in battle for one spell

Come on, it gets (legitimately) bashed for the plot as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »

Junction system is my favorite skill system in the series, hands down. Drawing? Maybe not, but I actually didn't mind it much. They were attempting to create a system where time and effort was rewarded with better stats and magic. Where they failed is to make that process enjoyable. For me it was neutral, for others it was bad.

However, over the years, I've racked my brain for alternatives, but I have never thought up any way of gaining magic (as items) that would be dynamic enough to work. Finding magic in chests/draw points just makes it like any other item. Monsters randomly dropping magic at the end of battle, once again, makes it far too static and linear. Drawing within battle just adds a dimension that is really different from any other RPG. It's sort of like grinding, but without doing lots of individual fights. The only other game that rewards staying in battle longer than simply defeating enemies, that I can think of, is Ar Tonelico. In any case, while the drawing part may be a critical flaw, I applaud S-E for trying something so against-the-norm that it practically rewrites the foundation of the RPG system. The idea of Magic as a finite item is an interesting and unexplored one. And I think they just about got it, with some unfortunate flaws.

But someone mentioned transition length and battle speed. This I agree with. Had they been able to completely streamline all the repetitive aspects of the game, it would have been FAR less obnoxious to fight and draw. GF animations were ridiculous and un-skipable, scene dissolves and wipes were ungodly long, battle animations couldn't overlap (this one would have saved a lot of time), and everything is just a bit sluggish. Not that FF9 is much better (though transitions were much sped up) but you had not incentive to fight over and over again. Honestly, this would have been the easiest thing to fix and I believe would have made the game much more appealing.

It's still my favorite RPG, but I understand it's flaws.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: