Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Vagrant Story, 97 MB of pure quality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Vagrant Story, 97 MB of pure quality  (Read 7237 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »

Vagrant Story:

Plataform: PS3/PSP
Price: $5.99

"Ashley Riot is accused of murdering a Duke, but did he really do it? Find out as you play as Ashley and live out his life the week leading to the murder."

Links of interest:

Hardcore Gaming 101: Vagrant Story Article by Eric Jonathan Smith.
Localization Tactics: A Conversation with Alexander O. Smith.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »

Yeah, the European Store got this a while ago. ;)

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »

"Ashley Riot is accused of murdering a Duke, but did he really do it? Find out as you play as Ashley and live out his life the week leading to the murder."

This is pretty much the worst description of a game I've ever seen. :P  Of course, I'm not sure you could adequately describe Vagrant Story with a couple of paragraphs, much less two sentences.

Vagrant Story is one of my all-time favorites.  This is pretty much the best six bucks you could ever hope to spend on gaming.  Hell, I'm tempted to buy it myself even though I have a copy within arm's reach. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »

I'd say it's worth it to have it on the go, but I think it's the only PS1 game on the PSP that's had performance issues that weren't inherent to the game, and the control scheme's not particularly friendly with the PSP.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »

I don't own a PS3, but I plan to buy one. This game is now a must-own for me. I've wanted to play this ever since a young, wide-eyed Jubby popped a little game called Final Fantasy XII into his PS2. Which is to say a few months ago.

And I also made a reference to another user in this post; can you figure out which one?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:18 AM »

I hate that clown dick's hair.

Is the game worth it? 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »

This is pretty much the worst description of a game I've ever seen. :P

Agree. The description sounds that this is a point'n'click adventure game instead of an RPG.

Hate? Those are big words.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »

This is pretty much the worst description of a game I've ever seen. :P

Agree. The description sounds that this is a point'n'click adventure game instead of an RPG.

Hate? Those are big words.

Dice has been having a lot of issues with hairstyles in jrpgs. I hear that she tried to get her hair to look like the Tales of Xillia protagonist but wasn't able to pull it off, so now she's frustrated and is out to destroy all gravity-defying-made-in-japan hairstyles.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »

Give it a try, Dice, the game is great.
I only didn't finish it (I tried it twice) because I got lost. No kidding.

The first time, when the game was released I got lost a little after that crazy mad forest.
The second time I played I went into the last dungeon but couldn't find my way to the end. A shame because the game is really good and the story is even better.

I won't buy it this time as I doubt I'll be able to find my way hehe, but if this game had that location thing of Dead Space or the arrow of Bioshock I'd surely play it again.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »

Vagrant Story is definitely in my top 10 favorite games. However, there are a lot of aspects of the game that are not user friendly at all. e.g. combining weapons and armors, balancing enemy type and elemental weakness, and how important certain spells are to use. Given the difficulty of the game, these issues can make it very difficult to get into for many players. However, The dungeon exploring is top notch. Definitely a worthy game in the genre of Metroidvania. And the plot is so good, even if much remains unexplained upon the conclusion.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

Dice, the original is amazing and it's up there in terms of Square's best on the PS1.

Also, to make your hair stand up all you need some is some glue and a children's book.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:12:21 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »

Vagrant Story I finally got in 2007 on eBay, took me seven years to get it :(

One of the best games ever made :)

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »

Is the game worth it? 

Upon release, player reception was somewhat mixed, so it's not for everyone. I'd say that most aspects of the game are very well made - maps, visuals, audio, cutscenes, controls/interface, puzzles, and battle mechanics. However, the game also requires some heavy grinding (building weapon affinities) that can become tedious.

Up until a half year before release, Vagrant Story was designed as a 4-6 hour long experience. During the final stages, it was modified and rebalanced to target a 25 hour length, which should give some idea how much grinding most players do.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:54:55 PM »

It surprises me how well this game holds up, visually, as a PSone title.  It's obvious there are low poly counts, but the art style really masks it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »

I never finished it, didn't have the patience to wrap my head around the gameplay mechanics. I wonder if I should give it another shot.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: