Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 12:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334849 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Achievements / Trophies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Achievements / Trophies  (Read 4640 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »

I'm not an achievement whore in the sense that I'll play crappy games just for an easy 1000, but lately I've had the need to get all the achievements for the games I enjoy.

Last weekend I finished everything on Oblivion... it feels odd to be done w/ that game after all that time.

The only other game I have 100% is on 1v100 lol. I fucking MISS that game. That was a ton of fun and it made me sad when they took it away.

I plan on 100%ing Mass Effect 2 and maybe Dragon Age: O (depending on if I have a decent amount of save points to work from)

I'd also like to get everything for fallout 3 if I can get the DLC I need for cheap.

What are the games you've gotten everything on?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

Some games have ridiculous achievements to obtain and I generally don't care for ones that are either stupidly tedious ("do _____ x times), or ones that require a long as time to acquire. Just not worth it and prove little about talent. Worst yet is the final hit to the ass, "get all other trophies" for the platinum prize. Too bad there's no other incentive to platinum a title (a buck off PSN or something).

Some are fun to get. And some I go out of the way for. But some just suck.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »

I don't care about trophies. They can be a nice thing when you really enjoyed a game and want an excuse to keep playing it but there's always at least one that is incredibly frustrating/difficult/time consuming. These really hard trophies can end up ruining a game for you.
Only platinum I got was FFXIII.
My level is 11 which I guess is relatively high but that's only because I play a lot of games and that inevitably leads to getting a lot of trophies. A lot of people tend to focus on a single game for months or even years. I try to experience as many different games as I can. After many months playing the same game I might get my PSN ID to appear high on a leaderboard but seriously, who gives a fuck? Some people might care now while the game is popular but that's it.
I play a lot of multiplayer and during a game I care if I win or not, I give it all I've got. After the game is over I don't care, I don't care if my K/D ratio is positive or what my position on the leaderboard is. I had fun during that particular fight/deathmatch/race, that's all that matters.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »

The only game I have gotten all the achievements for is Enchanted Arms just because you get 1000/1000 by completing the main story.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »

I'm working on a review for Torchlight on XBLA, and it caused me to find out that XBLA games are limited to 200 points.  It's a bummer, because there are some decent Steam achievements on the PC version, but they had to drop them.  On XBLA, finishing the main story will get you all of the achievements.  :(

On the upside, that will make a grand total of 1 game where I've gotten all of the available points.  I'll try for an achievement/trophy if I think it looks fun, but if it gets boring or incredibly annoying, I'll usually move on.  Too many games, not enough time. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

I love trophies. I think they are fantastic as they give me a reason to go back and play games again or try and do things differently.

That being said games that do achievements BADLY, are not good. Star Ocean 4 and World of Warcraft immediately jump to mind as having badly thought out trophies.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »

Last year some IGN editor wrote that he played and platinumed the hannah montana game because someone told him that the platinum could be obtained in 4 hours.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »

Like Yoda said, I like them, but I won't play through bad games just to improve my score.

The only two 100%'s that I have from the top of my head are the Platinum trophy in Resident Evil 5 (didn't get any of the DLC though) and 200/200 in the XBLA version of Banjo-Kazooie.

I tried to platinum FFXIII, but I find it confusing/frustrating as hell, and well, it's Final Fantasy XIII. I'm going for 1000/1000 in Tales of Vesperia, though. I suppose i'll try platinum Tales of Graces when it comes out, too.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »

I love trophies. I think they are fantastic as they give me a reason to go back and play games again or try and do things differently.

That being said games that do achievements BADLY, are not good. Star Ocean 4 and World of Warcraft immediately jump to mind as having badly thought out trophies.

WoW has badly thought out trophies?  Wait, what? 

PvE wise, the trophies make you kill bosses in unusual (sometimes creative) ways that offer a higher degree of challenge for people who have the ability to do them.  The last part is the key right there.
PvP and general gameplay wise, they're par for the course of achievements.  They have some achievements that probably stand out, but I don't go for PVP/general trophies so I can't really say much more than what I already wrote.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »

For better or worse, achievements and trophies appeal to my OCD side. I try to only go for achievements but sometimes I go for platinum trophies too.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »

I'm working on a review for Torchlight on XBLA, and it caused me to find out that XBLA games are limited to 200 points.  It's a bummer, because there are some decent Steam achievements on the PC version, but they had to drop them.  On XBLA, finishing the main story will get you all of the achievements.  :(

On the upside, that will make a grand total of 1 game where I've gotten all of the available points.  I'll try for an achievement/trophy if I think it looks fun, but if it gets boring or incredibly annoying, I'll usually move on.  Too many games, not enough time. :)

I hate the 200 point cap for xbla titles. I totally would've had most of the ones for Defense Grid (I fucking love that game lol) in fact I only need one more achievement but it's damn hard.

The kind of ach's I like are probably more associated w/ difficulty.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

I've never really paid any attention to cheevos at all.  My score is around 35,000 and I've had a 360 from the beginning.  My potential score is probably around 200,000:/  The only game I've gotten 1000 points for was King Kong but all I had to do was beat the game.  My Trophy level on the PS3 is like 12 or something. I don't think I gots a platinum for anything though.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »

Last year some IGN editor wrote that he played and platinumed the hannah montana game because someone told him that the platinum could be obtained in 4 hours.

That kind of thing is really common in some circles...

Personally I don't care about trophies at all.  I've never platinumed anything and I probably never will.  There always seems to be at least one grindy obnoxious task that I just don't want to do.  I decided I wanted to platinum Nier since I loved the game so much but I gave up after spending way too many hours farming ingredients for weapon upgrades.  My time is worth more than that.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »

WoW has badly thought out trophies?  Wait, what?  

PvE wise, the trophies make you kill bosses in unusual (sometimes creative) ways that offer a higher degree of challenge for people who have the ability to do them.  The last part is the key right there.
PvP and general gameplay wise, they're par for the course of achievements.  They have some achievements that probably stand out, but I don't go for PVP/general trophies so I can't really say much more than what I already wrote.

My biggest issue with them is how badly they are organised and how much so many of them just depend on luck. Also at the inconsistency of what does/does not award an achievement.

I certainly agree that many provide a greater degree of challenge and I would say most of the Dungeon/raid related ones are great. The raid categories are a nightmare to sort through at the moment, but that aside, most of them are pretty good.

On the other hand, PvP achieves are so ridiculously situational or luck based and many are near impossible to earn at max level without a huge degree of luck. The general category gives achievements for some of the dumbest "accomplishments", the quest achievements are just not overly well thought out or interesting, and the reputation ones are mostly ok, but why some rep groups give direct achieves and other don't seems odd.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:02:24 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »

I give credit to the funny or creative ones (Assassin's Creed enjoys an amusing kill or two).  Or I liked how RoF made a picture out of it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: