Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:18:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331798 Posts in 13585 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Achievements / Trophies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Achievements / Trophies  (Read 4550 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 05:36:43 AM »

I couldn't care less about trophies and achievements. Back when I lived with my parents, I used my brother's Xbox 360 and didn't bother with making my own account. After moving out I bought my own Xbox 360, but it's not even connected to the internet. The PS3 is offline as well. Hooking them up is just too much of a hassle.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

A hassle?  Really?  Achievements/trophies aside (which I already stated my opinion on), it's pretty trivial to connect your console to the internet and you're missing out on a ton of great downloadable games.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »

I can't even imagine not having my PS3 connected. You don't even need to connect a wire, the thing has wi-fi for Christ's sake.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:10 AM »

A hassle?  Really?  Achievements/trophies aside (which I already stated my opinion on), it's pretty trivial to connect your console to the internet and you're missing out on a ton of great downloadable games.

It's an Elite model, so that means buying that extra thingy. Cables aren't really an option, since the modem is located slightly outside of my house. Also, rabbits. The second problem is that the modem is an Experiabox. It's an evil, unlogical piece of shitty hardware. You do not want to know what I had to go through to get the laptop, DS and Wii online. Tales of Experia is a horrible game and I'm not going to replay it unless I absolutely have to.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:04:14 AM »

DS and Wii online

Then you should have absolutely no problems at all with hooking up a PS3/360 online. I had a lot of trouble connecting my Wii online, and to this day I've never successfully got my DS online, but the PS3 and 360 were simple. Then again, if cables aren't an option, then I wouldn't know.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 04:09:11 AM »

Yeah I like collecting them, though I prefer platinuming the games than I enjoy a lot, namely: Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed II, Bayonetta, Heavy Rain, and Sly 1 (might be an exception, it was ok but it was very easy to plat).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 04:56:42 AM »

DS and Wii online

Then you should have absolutely no problems at all with hooking up a PS3/360 online. I had a lot of trouble connecting my Wii online, and to this day I've never successfully got my DS online, but the PS3 and 360 were simple. Then again, if cables aren't an option, then I wouldn't know.

DS is easy: wireless and WEP. Which is one of the reasons why Experia sucks so much. Higher encryptions don't function properly. Weird things happen if you attempt to use WPA2. I had to call to the helpdesk, but all the tech did was accuse my laptop of frequently accessing the net using other modems. Experiaboxes don't like it when computers leave the house and meet new networks. In the end I had to switch to WEP.

Anyway, maybe I'll get Xbox 360 and PS3 online when I really feel te need to. Maybe when the weather gets better. My last big Experia adventure involved sitting in the freezing cold while trying to reason with the angry and irrational god inside my modem. I'm surprised my laptop held out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:04:15 AM by Tomara » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »

DS is easy: wireless and WEP.

Your PS3 can do that too, you know.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »

DS is easy: wireless and WEP.

Your PS3 can do that too, you know.

I already said that. If you have a wireless connection there's no reason not to have it online.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »

Yeah, but I'm sure your modem doesn't hate your guts. I'll connect it if I have to or really want to. Right now I just don't have a reason to. There isn't anything in the PlayStation Store I really want and I don't feel the need to play online.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »

Yeah, but I'm sure your modem doesn't hate your guts. I'll connect it if I have to or really want to. Right now I just don't have a reason to. There isn't anything in the PlayStation Store I really want and I don't feel the need to play online.

You need to show that modem who's boss.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »

Yeah, but I doubt my level is high enough. I think I'll do some sidequests first. Do some guild jobs, get a new outfit, learn how to make better pancakes, let my sister's dog pee all over the neighbourhood...
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »

My PS3 and 360 are not online 90% of the time. I only connect them when I want to download something, or do a system update. I have to disconnect the cable from the computer and run it over to my systems to do this. My wife doesn't like it when I do, because then she can't get online.

As for the topic...
I DO like it when the thing pops up on the screen telling me that I earned a particular achievement or trophy, but I never go out of my way to do so. I just get whatever I get during the normal course of the game. It would require time that I don't have to get any more.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

I love trophies. I think they are fantastic as they give me a reason to go back and play games again or try and do things differently.

That being said games that do achievements BADLY, are not good. Star Ocean 4 and World of Warcraft immediately jump to mind as having badly thought out trophies.

WoW has badly thought out trophies?  Wait, what?  

PvE wise, the trophies make you kill bosses in unusual (sometimes creative) ways that offer a higher degree of challenge for people who have the ability to do them.  The last part is the key right there.
PvP and general gameplay wise, they're par for the course of achievements.  They have some achievements that probably stand out, but I don't go for PVP/general trophies so I can't really say much more than what I already wrote.

My biggest issue with them is how badly they are organised and how much so many of them just depend on luck. Also at the inconsistency of what does/does not award an achievement.

I certainly agree that many provide a greater degree of challenge and I would say most of the Dungeon/raid related ones are great. The raid categories are a nightmare to sort through at the moment, but that aside, most of them are pretty good.

On the other hand, PvP achieves are so ridiculously situational or luck based and many are near impossible to earn at max level without a huge degree of luck. The general category gives achievements for some of the dumbest "accomplishments", the quest achievements are just not overly well thought out or interesting, and the reputation ones are mostly ok, but why some rep groups give direct achieves and other don't seems odd.

I honestly applaud anyone who can push their way through the PvP achievements and get something like battlemaster.  Their patience is much greater than mine.  I can't play a single game of arathi basin without facepalming because some fucking retard left a base unguarded or is fighting in the middle of nowhere.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: