Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319175 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 357805 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3600 on: August 26, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »

Rolling through a new playthrough of FE6.  Roy is turning out okay, but Speed might be a problem.  Lugh, Dieck, and Lance are turning out great and will soon be my first level 20s - I have promotion items ready for all three.  The two axe fighters are terrible.  Shelving Thany and Rutger because neither one is getting any STR.  I'm babying Lilina a little, but she's getting great levels-up early on and already has the same MAG as Lugh despite being five levels behind.  Debating whether Oujay or Wendy is worth the trouble, not sure if I'm going to train either one yet.  Just picked up Lalum, Shin, and Fir, and will probably use all three in the next chapter and see how their levels work out.  What I *really* need is a decent axe user, which should happen soon when I pick up Geese and Gonzo. 

OJ is pretty good for a Deck replacement since he has the better stat growths of the two, just note that he does not share the same fantastic Con that Deck has (also I'd probably end up benching them both soon enough for the Hero that shows up in the route you're planing on taking, especially if you're in need of an Axe user and Geese Howard doesn't turn out). Wendy and that Advanced Wars CO that she and OJay shows up with suck hard. Also if you're going to judge Lilina by any stat, judge her by her Spd. Her Mag growth hits Lute levels of overkill and she's guaranteed to ram that cap as a Sage (and possibly as a Mage).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3601 on: August 26, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

THis is my second time playing through FE6; the first time was several years ago, around 2006 or 2007.  In my first run, my MVPs of the first half of the game were Rutger, Alan, Lilina, Oujay, Thany, Wolt, and (somehow) Lot.  Dieck wasn't great the first time around, so I successfully replaced him with Oujay.  When I picked up Geese Howard and The Great Gonzo last time they were both okay for taking down wyverns, but not as good as Lot.  Yes, I realize that I probably had the best Lot ever, because nobody likes Wade or Lot on forums for whatever reason (pro tip: the reason is that their stats are awful and I got lucky and won the Lot-tery).  

This playthrough is totally different, with Rutger and Thany underwhelming, the two axe fighters both sucking it up, and Dieck turning out so well that I don't think Oujay is worth it.  I didn't use any armor knights my first run through FE6, and that's probably happening again.  I've only had her for maybe 1.5 chapters, but Fir is having the same damage problems that Rutger has (her Str growth is worse than his, so it makes sense), so I'll probably have Roy, Dieck, Alan, Lance, and maybe a promoted Nomad or Pegasus handle sword duties (I don't have any promoted yet).  I plan to pick up both potential Berserkers and I'm going to raise them as carefully as possible, even if I have to use savestates to give Gonzo an extra point of Skill or Res.  I'm still using Alan and Wolt, but they're just being mediocre and not hitting the awesome levels that Lance is.  Seriously.  Lance had 18-20 in Speed, Skill, and Str before promotion and his Def/Res was a totally reasonable 11/4 before promotion.  His HP is all right and his Luck is maybe right around or a little below Lance's average.  I've played FE7 and FE8 multiple times and I've never had an early-game Cavalier turn out so well.  I'm going to try and roll the Ilia route in the late game and give Lance the best lance, heh.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:01:09 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3602 on: August 27, 2012, 04:07:22 AM »

For the first time in my life I entered a competition at an animeconvention. It was a Tetris tournament, so I felt fairly confident the day before, but I was very nervous when my first match started and it only got worse. I don't remember all that much from the finale. My heart was beating so fast I thought I was going to die. According to the audience and the ingame clock I absolutely obliterated my opponent within a minute. There was clapping and I got prizes and some of the doujinshika in de vendor area gave me water and little heart shaped candies because they thought I looked like I was going to faint.

I'll never enter a game tournament again. Too stressful.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3603 on: August 27, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »

Dust - Man, this game keeps getting bigger and bigger. It's going to be irresistible not to go back through each level to get 100% on area and treasures. I already feel like I've missed a good chunk of the levels, but it's mostly due to areas that are as yet inaccessible.
The fighting keeps getting more insane. It's fun as hell when you're flying up several screens, only to catch the enemy, and whip them back down to the ground. I'm a friggin' death machine.
The story continues to be bizarro, but is already touching on some heavy topics.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3604 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

I'm really surprised that the darksiders series doesn't get more love around here. I'm playing #1 and each dungeon is a load of fun, not to mention some of the gameplay segments that break up exploration. Controls are tight, graphics are sharp and colorful, and combat is fun and more indepth than a god of war clone.

I might pick up #2 just to support these guys because I'd love to see a game for each horseman.

I should probably start up the first one again. I got to the third dungeon I think and just stopped. I don't really know why.  enjoyed it for the most part, even though I remember it being a little bland, though Mark hammills voice work is always stellar. The sequel looks like a lot of fun.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3605 on: August 27, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »

THis is my second time playing through FE6; the first time was several years ago, around 2006 or 2007.  In my first run, my MVPs of the first half of the game were Rutger, Alan, Lilina, Oujay, Thany, Wolt, and (somehow) Lot.  Dieck wasn't great the first time around, so I successfully replaced him with Oujay.  When I picked up Geese Howard and The Great Gonzo last time they were both okay for taking down wyverns, but not as good as Lot.  Yes, I realize that I probably had the best Lot ever, because nobody likes Wade or Lot on forums for whatever reason (pro tip: the reason is that their stats are awful and I got lucky and won the Lot-tery). 

This playthrough is totally different, with Rutger and Thany underwhelming, the two axe fighters both sucking it up, and Dieck turning out so well that I don't think Oujay is worth it.  I didn't use any armor knights my first run through FE6, and that's probably happening again.  I've only had her for maybe 1.5 chapters, but Fir is having the same damage problems that Rutger has (her Str growth is worse than his, so it makes sense), so I'll probably have Roy, Dieck, Alan, Lance, and maybe a promoted Nomad or Pegasus handle sword duties (I don't have any promoted yet).  I plan to pick up both potential Berserkers and I'm going to raise them as carefully as possible, even if I have to use savestates to give Gonzo an extra point of Skill or Res.  I'm still using Alan and Wolt, but they're just being mediocre and not hitting the awesome levels that Lance is.  Seriously.  Lance had 18-20 in Speed, Skill, and Str before promotion and his Def/Res was a totally reasonable 11/4 before promotion.  His HP is all right and his Luck is maybe right around or a little below Lance's average.  I've played FE7 and FE8 multiple times and I've never had an early-game Cavalier turn out so well.  I'm going to try and roll the Ilia route in the late game and give Lance the best lance, heh. 

Playing FE6 now.  Whoever thought reinforcements should be able to act on the same turn as they appear needs to be punched in the face repeatedly.

Other than that, fun game.  Not incredibly far in - just started whatever chapter you get dorothy (6 / 7?), haven't played it the chapter yet though.  no real standout characters yet.  I hear Dorothy is good, and the mage guy you get in chapter 2 or 3 is supposedly good so i've been using him.  No one else shining, but it's pretty early so no real biggie.

Playing this, IS however, really making me consider importing Zero no Kiseki.  I know that game is going to have a shitload of text, but man I really want to play it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »

Man, I love FE6. Roy's stat growth is schizophrenic though. My favourite character to level was Fir - her STR sucks but she criticaled so much...

Just finished ME3: Leviathan. That was.. quite a DLC. Too lazy to replay the end of the game. Maybe later.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:40:55 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3607 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

Man, I love FE6. Roy's stat growth is schizophrenic though.

Roy was mah boy in Smash Bros Melee.... the fact he wasn't in Brawl is still something I ruminate about..

Anyways. I beat Kingdom Hearts 3D.  I absolutely loved it, reviews have been average to good, I don't get why the "averages" besides an easily fixable "drop" mechanic and the kind of annoying micromanaging with the monsters.

- Loved the last bunch of boss fights. I'm pretty sure you fight Time at one point....yeah....cool?
- KH2 models were so much nicer to look at. Young Sora and Riku look stupid.
- Stupid, stupid story.  "I'm XEHANORT.  HE'S XEHANORT" then literally, "WE'RE ALL XEHANORT!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- I loved the secret boss, I'm glad it's not Sephiroth or some other Squeenix character, and I love the Disney rep. Shame there wasn't an "arena" though, KHI milked the hell outta theirs.
- Clearly this was more about Riku's story. I like him a lot now that he's not being an evil prick.
- Sora had the better levels though. ...And Superglide.
- Country of the Musketeers was the best level, loved the locations, and fantastic music
- The Grid, while it looked cool, sucked some serious donkey butt to navigate. Great having Wilde, Bridges, and Hedlund reprise their roles.
- This series shares a lot with Star Wars. Light and Darkness is clearly the light/darkside of the Force. The baddies always want LukeSora to come over to the darkside.
- I want III and HD
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:05:08 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3608 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

Dust - I'm finding myself getting into a zone with this that I haven't felt for awhile. It's the combination of the platforming, graphics, and music, with the insane fighting. It's almost giving me a old school. SNES/Genny vibe. I'm having a blast with it. The music is the real shocker, as hardly any reviewer even commented on it. I am totally getting the soundtrack for this if they release one.
The game is crazy addicting, and my time with it each night goes by far too quickly.
The only downside continues to be when the game slows down and has me talking to silly furry people. The voices are actually really well done, but they're still mostly annoying.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3609 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

The only downside continues to be when the game slows down and has me talking to silly furry people. The voices are actually really well done, but they're still mostly annoying.

Could be worse, the dude could have been a Brony.

Taking a rest from playing Fear Effect, will probably beat it on the weekend if I have time though.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3610 on: August 29, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

Sleeping Dogs continues to impress. Not too oversaturated with trivial tasks:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3611 on: August 29, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »

Haven't made much progress in Twilight Princess, but I've made it up to Ilia in FE6.  Lance is only at level 7 promoted and has already hit a few caps.  Lilina's Speed is non-shit, so she is even more effective than my pretty-good Lugh.  Geese wasn't getting decent growths, but Gonzales turned out great (with help from a Secret Book or two) and is my best axe user.  MVPs so far are Dieck, Lilina, and Lance, with Gonzo catching up in a big way. 

Also want to start a PS3 run soon.  Thinking either Valkyria Chronicles or 3D Dot Game Heroes.  Probably fire it up next week. 

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3612 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »

Also want to start a PS3 run soon.  Thinking either Valkyria Chronicles or 3D Dot Game Heroes.  Probably fire it up next week. 

Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite game on the PS3.  Definitely play it.

3D Dot Game Heroes didn't impress me, though.  It looks cute, and the world is pretty big and stuff, but the actual gameplay was just too monotonous and I got bored with it.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3613 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:31 AM »

Downloaded CS:GO earlier and played for 2 hours straight. Very welcome departure from CoD. First shooter I've enjoyed im quite some time.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3614 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

I'm playing too many games right now. Some I'm not really counting. P4A and Theater Rhythm aren't serious time commitments. I'm playing Nocturne on hard mode, and I've also been playing a second run of Strange Journey sticking to the rule of only using one demon on my team. So far it's made the game a lot more fun.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: