Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341344 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 456758 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5025 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »

I beat Nier last week and got the A ending, so now I have to replay it again from the middle to end to get the rest of the endings. Love this game...

Also, playing through Dragon Quest VIII and soon "Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny" that I started last summer (just need to wrap it up and beat it).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5026 on: May 20, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »

Got Injustice Gods Among Us for my birthday.  It's pretty fun and the presentation is top notch.  It's very obvious that a lot of care and community input was into the game as it really shows.  Not too many companies beta test fighting games for fresh ideas/input.  Never was a huge DC comic guy and always preferred Marvel, but there are quite a few interesting characters in this game.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5027 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »

Just hauled a Dreamcast + 6 games + 4 controllers + and a Web Browser 2.0 back from a garage sale for $20.

The games are:
Crazy Taxi
Dead or Alive 2
Soul Calibur
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram
Virtua Tennis
Sega Bass Fishing
And two demo disks

I don't even like tennis but I love Virtua Tennis. And you're going to have fun with Soul Calibur. It still holds up.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5028 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »

Just hauled a Dreamcast + 6 games + 4 controllers + and a Web Browser 2.0 back from a garage sale for $20.

The games are:
Crazy Taxi
Dead or Alive 2
Soul Calibur
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram
Virtua Tennis
Sega Bass Fishing
And two demo disks

I don't even like tennis but I love Virtua Tennis. And you're going to have fun with Soul Calibur. It still holds up.

Same sentiments of VT2.  Why that game was so awesome is beyond me, but I remember loving the hell out of playing it with buddies...and tracking matches on the VMU screen (a sorely missed but extraordinary gaming device).
The Spawn game also had fun multiplayer death matches.
And Power Stone 2 was serious business...of fun.

EDIT: One thing I remmeber about Soul Calibur was the character viewer.  You can see their model and their voice collection.  And I think it was Kilik who had one particularly awesome one that, I SWEAR, sounded like: "Mona ga gai kaga gai ga gai".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:56:02 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5029 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »

Sort of want Power Stone 1 or 2 but the AI is really bad and hoodafuq I gonna Dreamcast with?

Chrono Trigger - Beat Magus. Magus battle was considerably more interesting than Flea or Slash. Except it still falls into a really simple attack/heal loop, especially in the second part of the fight where Magus starts casting Dark Matter. You get the pattern down, there's no challenge, and it's just repetition. Still, I can see why the 12-year-old me loved the game: watching Crono fly up into the air, hair swaying, as Marle bathes him in ice magic is really kind of inspiring.

In retrospect this is also probably a lot better than what most JRPGs had back then too. There's probably a reason why I don't generally like JRPGs from before the 32-bit era...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5030 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »

Sort of want Power Stone 1 or 2 but the AI is really bad and hoodafuq I gonna Dreamcast with?

Chrono Trigger - Beat Magus. Magus battle was considerably more interesting than Flea or Slash. Except it still falls into a really simple attack/heal loop, especially in the second part of the fight where Magus starts casting Dark Matter. You get the pattern down, there's no challenge, and it's just repetition. Still, I can see why the 12-year-old me loved the game: watching Crono fly up into the air, hair swaying, as Marle bathes him in ice magic is really kind of inspiring.

In retrospect this is also probably a lot better than what most JRPGs had back then too. There's probably a reason why I don't generally like JRPGs from before the 32-bit era...

Yeah you basically do that in a lot of RPGs....
Magus' battle was fun since there were those bats in that small side-scroll segment that you could get a surprising amount of Tech or Skill points from.

I played some Graces today and grinded to hell.
I'm on Fodra.  IRISH JIG BATTLE MUSIC.

Valkyrie Profile -- I got Yumei after her lengthy death sequence.  I always thought she was purdy.  Till Ash Ketchum opens his big yap and makes me cringe the rest of the sequence.

More Abyss.  They should have made Asch playable a few more times than they did.  He's essentially fighting the same cause, so what would the harm have been?  Here's hoping for an HD remake....in like....ten years. D:

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5031 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »

Damn you, Dice! Now I kind of want to play Abyss again, too.

Mostly for containing one of my favorite battles in any RPG for so many reasons.

As for me, I recently started a hardcore monk in Diablo 3. Probably won't get very far, but I figured with the exp bonus going on right now it was the best possible time to give it the ol' college try.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5032 on: May 21, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »

I really oughta play Abyss.  I have an abandoned playthrough from several years ago that I barely remember. I'd have to start over. 

I'm done with all the side quests I want to do in Skyrim, so it's time to hardline the main quest. Right now at Anduin's Wall.  Skyrim has been... quite an experience, but I'm glad I'm almost finished. 

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5033 on: May 21, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »

I really oughta play Abyss.  I have an abandoned playthrough from several years ago that I barely remember. I'd have to start over. 

The game hasn't aged terribly well, but it works as an awesome handheld titles for the 3DS.  I honestly do think it was one of the better (if not best) Tales story and character ensemble, even when compared to a lot of other ones out there.  The politics also felt vaguely realistic....for a magical anime JRPG.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5034 on: May 21, 2013, 12:44:32 AM »

I always thought she was purdy.

I really like Yumei. Maybe it's her design or her awesome shapeshifting at every spell... dunno.
I usually keep her until I swap her with Liseria AKA 2nd best mage in (main) game that's not an old geezer who's evil to the core that I hate.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5035 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:59 AM »

I always thought she was purdy.

I really like Yumei. Maybe it's her design or her awesome shapeshifting at every spell... dunno.
I usually keep her until I swap her with Liseria AKA 2nd best mage in (main) game that's not an old geezer who's evil to the core that I hate.

Given mages are all pretty...whatever (and you get like 8 of them), I based largely on aesthetics.  Jelanda has a massive forehead too.  I kept Lorenta for hard mode because switching her out in Lezard's tower was a pain in the ass and she packed some good spells.  Eugh... I'm getting close to that part too.  Not looking forward to it.  "5% Chance of Breaking" doesn't sound bad until you're playing with scarce save points.
I may have to give Liseria a try though.  I love her casting animation.

And yeah, I loved the Yoshinari sister's art for the game and it's weird version of cartoony-realism.  I think that's why I loved Yumei, she looks somewhat real, but that bright green mermaid form was just a nice surprise for a realistic-enough looking person.  Every shot of Valkyrie is damn near perfect too (eugh, except for the goddamn crying image they settled on for the PSP artwork....like ANY version of the cover was better, as usual, than what NA got).

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5036 on: May 21, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

Abyss was the best Tales game. O_ O.   Anyway, got Krieg for Bl2. Lv 12 and don't know if I like the melee style yet.. We'll see.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5037 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:10 AM »

Abyss WAS the best Tales game.

Just started Shining Ark. It's a shame Sega didn't bring this over. The music is fantastic and so far the gameplay is a lot of fun. Would have made a great digital release.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5038 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »

So lately, I have been spending all of my gaming time into playing Persona 4 Golden (PSVita). It is awesome and it's brainwashing me. Hell, I've had the boss battle theme on my mind for days now. I've just finished the midterms exams so I'm fairly early in the game but it's a lot of fun. I love being capable of taking it with me wherever I go which helps since I moved to Japan as an exchange student. Can't wait to get back to it.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing 999  (DS) quite a lot. I managed to get two endings before I was swamped with studying so I haven't touched for some time now. And wow, those endings were so shocking. God, I loved it. Once I've finished P4G I'll probably get all the endings.

Lastly, I finished Bioshock Infinite which had quite the brainfuck ending. But since I'm a sucker for that I loved it. The gameplay itself was ok but it was really the setting and the ending that made that game good. Personally I didn't really care for Elizabeth.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5039 on: May 21, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »

Up to Chapter 6 in Valkyrie Profile, I've jumped through most of the hoops to get the proper ending, I just need to transfer Lucian, which is a pity since one of his attacks is really good at knocking out crystals. So far hard mode hasn't been too difficult, but there was a big spike at Lezard's Tower where the stupid exploding orb things kept wiping out my entire party.

Since then it's been pretty easy, some of the items you can make with the Creation Jewel are absurdly overpowered. I'm using Grey who's supposed to be the worst character in the game but he still one-shotted the boss in the Citadel of Flame. I'm going to keep him around just for his voice clips, which are fantastically over-the-top.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: