Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319007 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 356319 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5265 on: June 25, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

I don't know, I guess I actually like dungeons that are challenging just to navigate.  Gives you something to think about.

That's one of the things I greatly enjoyed about the original Lunar 2. Long and tedious dungeons. Characters are seriously worn to the wire when you finished. Gives you a sense of accomplishment.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5266 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »

I will have to prepare myself for another 15-20 hours then!

Tales of Graces f....the game that keeps on giving.

Seriously, i think the last time i put this much time into a non-mmo game has to have been FFVII or FFT. It just blows my mind that it took this long for me to feel this level of engagement again. It's been what...14 years, since FFT was originally released?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5267 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »

I am 37 hours into Okami. I did not expect it to be this long.
It's not a slog exactly, but I'm ready for it to be done.
I recall that game taking me around 60 hours to finish. I was flabbergasted at how long it was. Granted, my game times are ALWAYS longer than average, so may very well be near the end.

Tomb Raider - This game keeps stunning me in the graphics department. I wonder why it wasn't recognized for how amazing looking it is. It's right there with the Uncharted games.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5268 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »

I recall that game taking me around 60 hours to finish. I was flabbergasted at how long it was. Granted, my game times are ALWAYS longer than average, so may very well be near the end.

Tomb Raider - This game keeps stunning me in the graphics department. I wonder why it wasn't recognized for how amazing looking it is. It's right there with the Uncharted games.

I just started arkham city and I can't believe it. (re: graphics)

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5269 on: June 26, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »

The endgame starts when you get to the snow country.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5270 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »

SF3 - About to leave Balsamo.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5271 on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:59 AM »

Get ready, gotta respond to a bunch of y'all, sorry for the cluttered message in advance.

If you take on Tomb Raider on a super-PC, you can switch on Lara's detailed hair. 

I'd love to see the PS4 handle that, personally; making women's hair on the PS3 or lower seems to be nothing short of a nightmare unless you're going for a cartoon or static look (remember ME2/3 and Fallout?  Most of the hair choices are "hairspray" by design).
I love TR though as a weird example of open-world and linear colliding.

I loved the game, but for whatever reason it feels like it overstays its welcome.  I think the annoying-ass NPCs have a lot to do with it (how talk stupid, or simply are stupid, or ignorant, to just play over-the-top); but the battle system almost feels like it would have been better if they didn't nuance it with an RPG format but stuck to more "Zelda"-styled gameplay.  Or something.  I dunno.

(Sexy cameo? who?)

Code:
A photo of Bikini Judith from ToV

Reminds me of SO2 where if you did the North City sidequest (and Click PA events), you powered up the final boss to an 11 and he'd fuck you up even with the best gear.

I wish SO2 was harder throughout, as a whole. Make the item crafting actually useful :(

Although even then you can't craft anything decent till the game's basically over anyway :(

And maybe make the middle of the game less of a gauntlet of unwinnable boss fights :(

Anyways, I've finally filled out the 100 man brawl bullshit in SSBBrawl. Goddamn, did it suck when you have to take down a hundred enemies with the likes of Jigglypuff and Wario. Anyways, I've discovered that my final unknown challenge simply requires 2000 KOs in Brawls means that I can probably kill an hour on bashing a playerless player (probably gonna set it as Jigglypuff or Pikachu). Don't know if special brawl rules count towards the count or not as setting it at 300% mode and endless time will be a useful time saver on that end. After that, its only the 15 minute brawl bullshit (its bad enough to go 4 and a half minutes straight let alone over three times the length, all on one life, with no healing, and against five level 9 AI alloys or above at once constantly with the occasional NPC to pick up a Star Man, or grab a good pokeball or assist trophy, or chuck a sword at you, or hit you with a pitfall while trying to recover, or chuck a Lil'Sparky at the floor and getting nailed by that, or throw one of like 7 bomb types at you provided you don't just simply get randomly blown up by one of those 7 bomb types spawning on top of you and immediately detonating and either stacking large amounts of damage on you or killing you outright, or catching you with a badly placed bumper or urchin, or nail you with the sparkler cannon, or a fully charged Super Scope 6 shot, or precisely chaining you out of bounds with the blaster, or nabbing a fire flower, a dish of curry, or a Lip's Stick and stack enough damage where even a slight breeze will send you packing 4 minutes into the match, nailing you with a freezie, and so on). Outside of those two things though, all that's left is collecting all the stickers which can be cheesed (actually, you know what, fuck the 15-minute thing, I'm just going to cheese it with Pit; see you tomorrow).

Yeah, it's actually sad though, I've got that game down to a T; I know who and where and what to do in Clik to get through that whole segment in fifteen minutes.  And yeah, I remember when to set people's AI to avoid the unwinnable fights to 'get out the way'.

And yeah, Smash Games' challenges suck serious ass.  Some, too easy; others make me #$%^&*^%$ at the screen.

ANYWAYS.

FINALLY got Last of Us back from the boyfriend.
This game is really intense.  It's really good and the story keeps you intrigued to wonder what happens next, and sure knowing is half the battle in a game like this, but it's hard to see me picking up for a repeat play through given the tense situations and overall pain-in-the-ass it can be.  Nevertheless, love it.

- Graphically, holy hell.  I always love "end of gen" games usually are that "passing the torch" for what the next generation of systems and games will look like.  The nuances are great.
- Tess' sendoff was a good "wham episode".  I hate fighting humans more sometimes, they're a bunch of tits.
- Joel is/was a total DILF.  Yum.
- Not enough blades being thrown your way.
- This suffers a bit of the "Zelda complex", IMO.  The beginning felt a lot harder since you had less in your arsenal (Zelda's version of this is that first dungeons tend to suck since you're doing it on 3 hearts). 
- I feel like there is a perfect and more artful way to play this game (something I'm sure develops "naturally" on a harder difficulty), but I tend to try, fail, then blast my way through way through like crazed maniac.
- Even though it was probably to save resources and save on effort of designing bedrooms, the fact that many second floors are sealed off and boarded up is ...surprisingly poignant.
- Yeah, I HAD to walk into one of those wired trip-bombs ...just to see.  It was grand.
- I loved how weird everything was hangning upside down.....but that wave of enemies sucked ass, one Clicker in particular refused to go down.
- Everything about the school segment sucked....or I suck.
- I liked Bill:

Code:
I thought his explicit but not-so-explicit homosexuality was well done; the bit with Frank was really heart-wrenching, especially his letter which really throws a dark twist to it.  The following scene in the car was perfect.
- Did you like the coloured letters here?  I wanted something consistent with the game tone.  Well, sorta, the game shows lotsa beautiful scenery!  And I really love the balance between fight-segments and calm ones
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:53:38 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5272 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »

I love how "tressfx" sounds like it could be the name of a shampoo or something.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5273 on: June 26, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »

I would say that Okami has three central acts (starting area, Imperial province, snow country), and then an endgame where you enter the giant monolith-thing after beating the pair of bosses in the ice temple place.  But whatever. Semantics.  Game took me a good 40-45 hours when I played it last year. 

AnyHOW, still playing inFamous 2 and it's awesome.  Screwing around in Gas Works, still wary about trying UGC missions.  After this I'll either return to Knight of Lodis or fire up another PS3 game. 

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5274 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

It's a good-looking game, no doubt. On top of that, it's a ton of fun. I really enjoyed my time with it. I'm so glad they convinced Hammil (sp?) to play the Joker again. He does it so very well.

On topic: As for me (if anyone here cares what "newbs" are doing), I'm mostly playing GTA IV these days. I did start it years ago, back when it was newer, but never got around to finishing it. I recently restarted it, and now I'm on the second island (Algonquin, I think?). Spent most of my play time last night working on getting banging rights with Carmen and Kiki. Why.. I don't know. Not like it's detrimental to the game. I guess I'm just living vicariously (lol). As for the actual missions, I chose to off Playboy X, since he seemed like a poseur douche who only cared about himself. Didn't get to properly execute him, though. Some of his boys were still shooting at me from behind, so I just offed him real quick-like with the Uzi. Still gotta meet "Michelle" at ULP... That manipulative b*tch.

I also recently just started Kingdoms of Amalur for the very first time. Haven't gotten very far as of yet. Mainly just wanted to get a feel for it. Just escaped the tower and am making my way to the first town. I already love the environments, and the choices of character development. I think I'm gonna go for a mostly finesse character with a little bit of might. I like the stealth killing. It's satisfying. Combat seems solid. I love the fact that you can switch weapons mid-combo.
Too bad the game studio sank like a stone... Seems like a good game already. Time will tell, though.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5275 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »

That's coming up soon. Maybe after Last of Us. Loved Asylum.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
_Vandalier_

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5276 on: June 26, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »

Just decided to randomly pick up Halo 4 and play through the campaign...it was okay. Dabbling a bit in the multiplayer now and it isn't as good as 3 to me but I definitely will sink some time into it. I generally avoid the fps genre (except for games of the Bioshock ilk) but it is nice to play a more arcade like shooter from time to time.

Completed The Last of Us and was blown away....but totally expected nothing less from Naughty Dog.

Currently playing State of Decay and I have to say, bugs aside, very cool game. Not everyone's cup of tea but I definitely appreciate what they were/are going for. Looking for another single player focused game this gen to play that isn't very time consuming.

Still plodding along in PS IV but not in a huge rush to complete that.... it has kinda been put on the back burner of my retro replays as I found a copy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant at a local pawnshop for $3. One of my biggest gaming regrets was giving this game to a friend, been wanting to replay it forever. One of my favorite RPG's of all time.

~My name is... Odd Creature... No, that's not it! It's Roger Bacon! Master philosopher, alchemist, and eternal love child.~
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5277 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »

And yeah, Smash Games' challenges suck serious ass.  Some, too easy; others make me #$%^&*^%$ at the screen.

It wouldn't be so bad if the guy behind the series wasn't all "I don't want another Melee, so lets include random elements to prevent any one player from effectively locking down matches.". Namely because those interruptions don't really change much of anything when playing against a superior human opponent since the disruptions are indiscriminate and don't do nearly enough to turn the tide on anybody for more than a second or two. However, in regards to single player challenges where success hinges on a nearly perfect performance or cheesing the fuck out of them, you can't really get that perfect performance due to the game suddenly deciding that you're doing too well and spawns a bomb right in your face while you're in the middle of something and detonate it for massive damage or an instant loss.

Of course I still haven't gotten that 15 minute brawl done yet since finding time to take several 7-13 minute attempts at clearing something isn't a common luxury.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5278 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »

Still plodding along in PS IV but not in a huge rush to complete that.... it has kinda been put on the back burner of my retro replays as I found a copy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant at a local pawnshop for $3. One of my biggest gaming regrets was giving this game to a friend, been wanting to replay it forever. One of my favorite RPG's of all time.

I have been wanting to run through Phantasy Star 4 for awhile. I get about 10 hours in and I cant remember the name, but there is a fight that just kept punishing me. Fun times though. Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are really great, especially 2.

I am still perfecting stats for FF6. I really want my gold coin for that one. I am just grinding on Cactrots to max everyone's espers and getting their primary stats to 128. Everything thing else is done except for Kefka's Tower.

Rainbow Moon is really fun. I did not buy any DLC boosts, so it is going slow. The way that the grid is laid out can lead to many wrong turns when trying to position my team. The AI is pretty easy to figure out, so it makes for quick easy battles.

Ni No Kuni - The way you tame familiars kinda sucks. I would rather be able to tame whenever and get random stats then having to wait for a chance to get what I want. The game is not that difficult so it is not a big deal. Really love the visuals and story so far. The event right before the second party member joins was very touching.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5279 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »

Just beat FF6 no more than 5 minutes ago. Final team ended up being Setzer, Terra, Lock, and Celes. I only attacked with Setzer's fixed dice with the offering relic equipped. Almost died to Kefka at the end, but Setzer delivers high rolls to smack him over 15,000, which was enough to end him from the total damage from him and Shadow (Celes bit the dust). Setzer truly knows how to roll them die. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: