Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319697 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 360880 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5490 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »

Asura's Wrath is pretty good fun.

I actually dig the story... It's pretty coherent compared to the junk that was... El Shaddai. (I know they're totally different but those are two of the more "Japanese" games I've played recently)
I'm considering picking this up, but am concerned about all the QT events. Are they forgiving at all? Or you have a split second and that's it? I tend ti have terrible reaction with those types of things.

The Last of Us - I'm now hanging with some crazy dude. It's weird because the game keeps wanting to move me along, but I want to explore and look for items and such. It's definitely more open than past ND games.
I'm digging all the customization I can do now with weapons, items, etc. I tend to stress over which things to upgrade, though.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5491 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

GTA IV: Finished a lot of missions over the weekend. Not all the way done with the story line, but feels like I'm getting close. As I said before, the late game missions are much better than the early game ones. I've started driving in 1st person view, and I seem to be able to handle the boaty car dynamics better this way. I'm starting to have some real fun with the game.  Looking forward to finishing it, though. Want to move on to Liberty City Stories and then out of the GTA IV universe.

Code:
I decided to let Darko Brevic live. My version of Niko is one generous fuck.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5492 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »

Grim -- Bill's the shit.

In my ongoing quest to play handhelds while my soul is sucked out by an evil school, I played Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (probably the most awkward game title to type.

I was right -- This is one of those games I'd drop but come RIGHT back into, simultaneously loving it and hating some of the shitty songs (could FF12 have gotten a worse batch of tunes to play???  And the Seymour Fight song makes my ears bleed).

I'm still convinced running FMV and gameplay really screws up how the strokes and buttons register.
I'm trying to create the ultimate defense team versus some of the harder Dark Notes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5493 on: July 22, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

Asura's Wrath is pretty good fun.

I actually dig the story... It's pretty coherent compared to the junk that was... El Shaddai. (I know they're totally different but those are two of the more "Japanese" games I've played recently)
I'm considering picking this up, but am concerned about all the QT events. Are they forgiving at all? Or you have a split second and that's it? I tend ti have terrible reaction with those types of things.

Hey Grim.  I wouldn't worry about slow reaction times.  The game has various difficulty levels including easy which was the one I played.  I think I have slow reaction times as well and I got through the game with no problems.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5494 on: July 22, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

Blasting my way through X-Com right now. Pretty fun! Makes me want to go back and play Valkyria Chronicles.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

Saints Row 3 is pure crack. Yesterday I raided a BDSM nightclub and had a ballgagged dude in a fedora drive us away via pony cart. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. Pondering if I want the DLC or not.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5496 on: July 22, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

Just curious but does anyone here plays the multiplayer of The Last of Us?
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5497 on: July 22, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

I played for a while but the bow is completely overpowered and it kinda ruined it for me. It was a blast at first though..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5498 on: July 22, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »

The worse thing about the bow is how it doesn't make any sound until an arrow hits you.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5499 on: July 22, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »

Finished MMX7. I've heard people complain about the final stage being one of the worst stages in the franchise and I can almost agree with that but I believe that X6's Gate's Lab 2 is still the worst. The problem with Crimson Palace is that it is one fucking long stage that should've been divided up into two or more stages.

The opening is a boring climb in one of the most vertical portions of the game with Battons pestering you and Boulders that you have to trip then duck in a crevasse and wait for the slow moving Boulder to pass (and you do this 4 times). Then you fight Red in a battlefield that's trying to invoke Gate's battlefield in X6. I really hope you've invested in X at this point and got his full armor because the fight is a battle of attrition and his counter requires you inflict damage in a single large attack rather than Axl's pea shooter or forcing Zero to eat all sorts of damage just to get him up close enough to do anything. I also hope you've figured out that you can control the camera in 3D sections sometimes by using the L1 or R1 buttons since half the fight is figuring out where he's ported to. Then after beating Red, you have another platforming section to slog through with those Moai from an earlier stage except with highly damaging spikes on their rears. There's two locations that are supremely stupid in that one Moai is too close to the ground to dash under without taking damage and the other is a Moai hovering over a spike pit with no clearance to get between the two without taking damage or being killed outright. Then after that you get to another section where you having a branching path, one gives you a ride armor to help you blow up a bunch of ride armors and the other IDK because I didn't take that route. And then you get to the Maverick refight section. Thankfully the game gives you a full heal after every fight so its just a matter of not dying on the bosses and their stupid gimmicks once again. Then after that you get to fight both of Sigma's forms for this game. The first isn't so bad as X since you just wait for his giant fuckoff lazor then duck and Charge Shoot through the rubble and eat through his health without counter; and the second is a platforming nightmare with the thankful caveat that Splash Laser just demolishes Sigma's lifebar if he pops in at a good vantage for you to hit him.

But again, note how all of that consists of just one goddamn stage. Even with the five lives from the Ex pack you're probably going to gameover at least once or twice somewhere along the line. Thankfully, Red isn't packing near the bullshit that either High Max or Gate packed in Gate's Lab 2 in X6, plus with the way gameovers work in X7 (read: barely) you spawn in at the last checkpoint you crossed no questions asked (for instance: beating Sigma 1, losing your last life failing to jump to a moving platform that's too far to make a clean dash jump to made worse by the fact that everything is massively zoomed out and Sigma's spawn point just forced a perspective change right in the middle of the jump, then hitting the restart option and getting dropped right back at the start of Sigma fight 2).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5500 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »

Finished Bioshock Infinite. The game was great and while it had a slightly confusing ending I still liked it.

Code:
The Lutece "twins" were great and probably my favourite characters in the game. Glad I saw the scene after the credits though. It would have been depressing if Booker had died as wellas Comstock. It is a shame that Elizabeth never existed though as I loved her character. I know Anna is still around but they will not be the same person.

Didn't fully catch on to the time loop until I replayed it on 1999 mode and got to the coin flip part. It suddenly hit me that you had been the one who had tossed those coins and picked heads every time.

Even in the beginning when they are talking about rowing the boat.
F Lutece: Why don't you ask him to row
M Lutece: Because he doesn't row
F Lutece: What do you mean?
M Lutece He DOESN'T row
F Lutece: Ah, I see what you mean
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:08:29 AM by Darilon » Logged

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5501 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »

Finished GTA IV's storyline for the first time last night. I chose revenge on the last mission, and am happy with it. I had to retry that mission several times, but I finally did it. What really helped was to take note of where the med packs and armor were located.

I don't have enough free time in my life to be a game completionist... I'd like to be, cuz I enjoy doing it, but too many other things must come first these days. So, I'll probably just play around with cheat codes a little bit in the aftergame, then move on to Liberty City Stories (I have the 2 disc edition of GTA IV). Nice to have another GTA under my belt.

IMO, This one's not as fun, or as... interesting as Vice City and San Andreas. It honestly feels like a step back from those two. Next gen graphics aside, it feels like it should have been released after GTA III, but before Vice City. However, at the time of GTA IV's development, the current systems were still kinda new. So perhaps they were playing it safe for the new technology....
Anyway, IMO Niko is honestly a forgettable protagonist. His back story is interesting and drives the main storyline, but as a character interacting in his game world, there is not much too him. I do like his "take no bullshit" attitude, though. The look he gives J Pegorino when Pegorino threatens him is awesome.
One major gripe many players have had with GTA IV is the car mechanics. I have to agree. It's like driving a bunch of boats around the city streets. Seems like all of the vehicles (except the high-end sports cars) have extremely mushy brakes and hugely enormous turning circles. Even motor bikes are stricken this way. I think they were trying so hard to be realistic with the driving aspect, it became unrealistic. As I mentioned before though, driving in first person view really helped me to handle the vehicles better. All in all, I'm glad they have addressed this issue with the upcoming GTA.
I did not enjoy the cell phone and dating mechanics. Could have done without those. Trying to cycle through menus and make phone calls for backup/assistance while under heavy fire, or driving/running for your life, is not very fun. The dating thing is just ridiculous, IMO. It's a time eater. The benefits you get from some people as a result are nice, but still not worth the tedium of driving different assholes around to places they enjoy. On that note, it almost feels like a chauffeuring mechanic, instead of dating. I'm also glad they did away with it that whole mess in GTA V.

Overall, I did enjoy the game. I know I griped about it more than I praised it, but it's honestly still good ol' GTA fun at it's core.... Just when comparing it to the previous 2 main entries in the series, it feels lacking.  I'm seriously excited about GTA V. It looks like it's removed the bad/useless mechanics, and is returning to the zany good times and expansive and varied environments of San Andreas. Couldn't be happier about that!
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5502 on: July 23, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

One major gripe many players have had with GTA IV is the car mechanics. I have to agree.

Seriously, take the shittiest car out for a drive when it's raining. You literally can't turn correctly, no matter the speed.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5503 on: July 23, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »

Final Fantasy 6

Code:
I love Kefka's reaction to getting stabbed at the end of the Floating Continent.  He kinda runs back and forth real quick 20 times, does a few squats, and says "OUCH".  Then proceeds to steal power, kill his boss,and fuck the world.

I over-leveled, Ultima was easy, no one died....and Mog has the Aqua dance that just ruined everything.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:12:56 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5504 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

Saints Row 3 is pure crack. Yesterday I raided a BDSM nightclub and had a ballgagged dude in a fedora drive us away via pony cart. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. Pondering if I want the DLC or not.

I thought the story DLCs (Clones and Gangstas in Space) were kinda weak and short, don't know about the others.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: