Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319730 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 361310 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6000 on: September 23, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

Made decent progress in Saints 3 over the weekend (I want to finish it before really getting into GTA V).
Did a few main missions, which opened up a slew of new activities, so now I'm working on those. Also buying up properties left and right. It only increases the hourly income in the end, so it's good to get it out of the way. I don't have total control of any of the neighborhoods yet, but getting close.
I think someone previously mentioned the hilarity of a certain mission involving gimp-powered rickshaws... It did not disappoint.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: September 23, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »

Saints 3 is all hilarity.

So much FFXIV. Level 18 lancer, level 11 marauder, and level 6 blacksmith... all since getting onto Hyperion Wednesday. Did my first dungeon with friends last night complete with a Cloud Strife-style limit break or two. Good times.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6002 on: September 23, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

Officially gave up on Harvest Moon: Animal Parade.  The controls are a bit wonky and load times and no fast travel are trying my patience. I only got the red bell before calling it quits.  I really thought I would like Harvest Moon since I loved Rune Factory 3.  I am still going to give the series a shot.   Most likely it will be the new 3ds one.

I really like Harvest Moon A New Beginning but it might be an expensive buy if you are not sure about it. You should know that the first month is a giant tutorial and is slow as molasses but it really picks up after that. Harvest Moon DS is pretty good and I really liked More Friends of mineral Town for GBA. They don't have the village creation aspect that A New Baginning has though.

Rune Factory Frontier is awesome if you don't have it. It is my favourite after Rune Factory 3. Oceans is not that great and is probably my least favourite of the 5 Rune Factory games released in the west.

I put about 150 hours into Rune Factory Frontier, regardless it being very easy to break when you get the fishing rod. I recommend it if you haven't played it. My sister watched me play about 80% of the game and enjoyed my commentary over each event, situation, and character interaction. Just want to point out that Uzuki is a scum bag: she just watches my dead body fall when I was fishing next to her and goes back to her fishing. Lute was no better.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6003 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »

XBC - Riki is as impossible to kill as I have heard.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:33:26 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6004 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »

Finished Gone Home. Interesting game overall, with a good story. I found the ending quite anti-climactic, though. I was expecting something different to happen based on the tone of the journals as the game progressed.
I also thought the voice actress for Sam, as good as she was, sounded way too mature for the character.

I'll be starting up Bioshock Infinite next. I've never played any of the "shock" games, so hopefully I enjoy it.
Two first person games in a row. How weird for me.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6005 on: September 23, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »

Went to a video game store just to see nothing in particular. Saw a couple just talking about the games there and the guy was giving all of his "expertise" on video games to his girlfriend and in between that the guy saw a copy of MGS: The Legacy Collection, and the dude said; "you play as someone called Snake, is like Tomb Raider". When he finished saying that my head hurt... it was like my brain couldn't handle the stupidity that came out from this dude's mouth.

It was a pretty amazing experience and insulting as a long-time fan of the Metal Gear series.

*sigh* But anyway, after that I bought a copy of Puppeteer and everything was fine. Yep. :T
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6006 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »

*sigh* But anyway, after that I bought a copy of Puppeteer and everything was fine. Yep. :T

I picked that up right before I went overseas. Let me know what you think of it, I'm curious.

Won't be getting my PS3 back until this weekend. After that I'm keen to try it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6007 on: September 24, 2013, 02:37:18 AM »

Thanks for the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory feedback.  I ending up putting Rune Factory Frontier on my Gamefly queue.  I had it on previously then took it off after trying RF2.  RF3 spoiled me and I just couldn't take not having the improvements RF3 had made from RF2.  I was afraid Frontier would be like that. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6008 on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

I was thinking about getting Final Fantasy 14. 

Question:  Is it good on PS3 or should I go PC??

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6009 on: September 24, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »

Thanks for the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory feedback.  I ending up putting Rune Factory Frontier on my Gamefly queue.  I had it on previously then took it off after trying RF2.  RF3 spoiled me and I just couldn't take not having the improvements RF3 had made from RF2.  I was afraid Frontier would be like that. 

Depending how you approach Rune Factory Frontier determines if you'll appreciate it for what it is. If you played Rune Factory 3, then you're already spoiled with the best fighting/harvesting to this date. Battle is stiff in this game, and the harvesting isn't that pleasurable until you get the upgraded equipment and monster help later in the game.

Harvesting, in fact, can actually really take a turn for the worst when you do all the hard work to clean your field, only to have a storm annihilate your produce and throw random tree stumps/large stones in the middle of your harvest grid. Thankfully, Candy's skills can help negate any storms. I always recommend having two save files; one for the start of the day and a dummy for the end, just in case a bad storm wipes your field out, then you can just start over from the previous day. I recommend two because you might end up staying past Candy's sleep schedule, and not having the chance to do a Runy Wonder to change the weather.

I have nothing to say about battles other than raise your cooking and fishing to a high level. Cooking for rune points/life, while fishing to earn a great sum of cash later in the game to buy weapon/tool recipes and enhancements to your house.

Getting back to the first thing: I would recommend approaching this game as a way to kill time or in short spurts of 1-2 hours, if not less. Keep a notebook with you, or a gamefaqs open on your laptop/tablet in case you need to remember certain events you had to do but forgot were in effect because you stopped playing for a week (I guarantee you'll forget events you activate, like I did with RFO).

Don't rush this game, because it's not a cheap snack that you can gobble up a lot of, rather, it is a rich dessert that needs time to enjoy and digest--in fact, I could say this of a lot of games, but this is specifically true for this game.

gobble up a lot of
gobbelup alotof
Gobelup Alotov
Metal Gear

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6010 on: September 24, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

I'd say PC.
Some things are a hassle on PS3 (even with a keyboard)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6011 on: September 25, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »

I picked that up right before I went overseas. Let me know what you think of it, I'm curious.

Won't be getting my PS3 back until this weekend. After that I'm keen to try it.

Did the 1st Act and I loved every minute of it. Is simple, charming, imaginative and I believe everyone with a PS3 should give it a try.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: September 25, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

I'd say PC.
Some things are a hassle on PS3 (even with a keyboard)

It's not that bad on PS3 and I've been playing for the past week. But I'd have been lost on a PC (I don't play ANYTHING on one) unless I used a gamepad. PC version will always be prettier though...

Yggdrasil, your Metal Gear story makes me a little depressed.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6013 on: September 26, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »

Xenoblade - Killed the first sea lion guarding Unicorn Island.

Every time I get sick of this game I quit being sick of it :( I should force myself to play other things before I forget that XBC isn't real.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6014 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »

Yggdrasil, your Metal Gear story makes me a little depressed.

For a second I was gonna ask him how he make the connection between Metal Gear and Tomb Raider, but doing that would have been really weird...

But eh. Fuck that guy anyway. :p
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: