Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 405387 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6225 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

I always thought that getting all trophies takes a lot of the "fun" from any game.

Completely agree there. That's why I have almost no platinums.
There is always at the very least 1 trophy that is just zero fun at all to get.

I figured by now I'd have found at least one game that naturally compelled me to get a platinum but it just has not happened. I'm very much a completionist by nature but unless your playing specifically to get trophies, it just doesn't happen. I am still without a platinum and will probably remain so.

"Completing" a game and getting all the trophies, seem to be two different goals entirely to me... the latter (trophies) feeling more a chore than anything else IMO.

For my "retro-gaming weekend" agenda I decided to give Chrono Trigger another play. I've played it so many times I feel like I could hand draw most dungeon maps from memory if I had to and yet I still love every minute I spend with the game. Just got through Heckran's (sp?) Cave.

Its funny.... I notice for some odd reason it is way easier to sit down for a multi- hour gaming session when I do these "retro" games on the weekend. I don't know what it is about older 16 bit era titles, but they hold my attention without my mind wandering for longer periods of time it seems.

Basically this. 
I get what it is to "complete" a game --  and this usually includes doing post-game content.  But when you get stuff like "CRAFT EVERY ITEM" (half of which are literally useless -- FF9 comes to mind in terms of a lot of weird and random sidequests for key items that actually have *no* effect whatsoever), or "PERFORM X MOVE # TIMES" (for fuck's sake, Xillia's trophies really milked this one). 

It's not even a matter of it being a "challenge" some of the time as much as it is a matter of interest.

The Last of Us wasn't really good for trophies.  I love the hell out of that game, but to beat the game, every difficulty, not once -- but twice!!! ...was all but creative.

FFIX's biggest problem was that damn card game since a lot of sidequests only really paid out in cards and there was so much bullshit in relation to said card game that it generally wasn't worth bothering with ever (although the game does pull a dick move on you and have you partake in a card tournament as part of the plot; though you could just bomb it and move on with your life).

Actually, a lot of Squeenix games have some kind of collect-a-thon bullshit they make you go through for 100%. (It was bad enough in games like FFV where some of the best weapons in the game had to be stolen from the Rare prize slot of one time bosses (thank god for the Return spell) but even that's nowhere near as bad as some of their more recent games like FFXII.)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6226 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

Let me just say that Yazma is a terrible boss. It pretty much represents everything you could do wrong.

- auto-kill on hit rendering total HP useless CHECK
- wipe entire team attack unless they are wearing one specific armor that is super low level and you clearly sold them 80 hours prior CHECK
- weird mechanic that you need to guidedangit or else you'll get screwed CHECK
- HP sponge DOUBLE TRIPLE QUADRUPLE QUINTUPLE CENTUPLE CHECK
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:37:30 PM by Annubis » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6227 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »

I usually get a lot of achievements for a game just by reaching my definition of complete, but I will never go out of my way to get them all.

For instance, by completing the collector's book in Tales of Vesperia, I got almost all the achievements. But one achievement is for a speed playthrough, and the other one is for a low-level playthrough, and I just can't be bothered to do that kind of stuff.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6228 on: November 03, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »

I always thought that getting all trophies takes a lot of the "fun" from any game.

I figured by now I'd have found at least one game that naturally compelled me to get a platinum but it just has not happened. I'm very much a completionist by nature but unless your playing specifically to get trophies, it just doesn't happen. I am still without a platinum and will probably remain so.

"Completing" a game and getting all the trophies, seem to be two different goals entirely to me... the latter (trophies) feeling more a chore than anything else IMO.

I totally know what you mean...one of the first games I actually seriously tried to platinum was Nier.  Dear god that was a mistake.  No matter how much you might love that game (as I did) do not try to platinum it.  Trying to get all those super-rare drops to get the maximum upgrades for all your weapons is seriously one of the most tedious things I have ever done in my life.  Aren't videogames supposed to be recreation?  I put like 20 hours into it before giving up in frustration.  So not only did I waste 20 hours doing that crap, I never actually did get the trophy in the end...

That kind of turned me off of trophies in general for a long time.  Though lately I've been thinking about trying to platinum some easier titles.  Actually, the closest I have to a platinum right now would be Project Diva f (Vita import), which I could literally get the platinum on with the press of a button.  See, there's a trophy for uploading edit data you've made to their server.  The thing is, the only edit datas I've made have been complete crap and I'm embarrassed about uploading something just for the trophy so I never did it...

I'm pretty close on the US PS3 version two.  Missing the same trophy there and a couple other easy things.  So really, I could have two platinums right away if I really wanted to...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6229 on: November 03, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »

I totally know what you mean...one of the first games I actually seriously tried to platinum was Nier.  Dear god that was a mistake.  No matter how much you might love that game (as I did) do not try to platinum it.  Trying to get all those super-rare drops to get the maximum upgrades for all your weapons is seriously one of the most tedious things I have ever done in my life.  Aren't videogames supposed to be recreation?  I put like 20 hours into it before giving up in frustration.  So not only did I waste 20 hours doing that crap, I never actually did get the trophy in the end...

That kind of turned me off of trophies in general for a long time.  Though lately I've been thinking about trying to platinum some easier titles.  Actually, the closest I have to a platinum right now would be Project Diva f (Vita import), which I could literally get the platinum on with the press of a button.  See, there's a trophy for uploading edit data you've made to their server.  The thing is, the only edit datas I've made have been complete crap and I'm embarrassed about uploading something just for the trophy so I never did it...

I'm pretty close on the US PS3 version two.  Missing the same trophy there and a couple other easy things.  So really, I could have two platinums right away if I really wanted to...

Some games are definitely easier to platinum than others, but I really don't stress over it.

....damn!  About that weapon upgrade thing: I did find it fun to see the crazy brother, but more than that, I **looooove** DrakeNier's "Weapon Stories" for being either poignant or just plain twisted and cruel.  It's just that it was unfortunately hampered by a really brutal upgrade system; made worse on "Easy Mode".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6230 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »

All these people talking about going for platinum on games, and here I am just having played maybe 30 games through to completion ever.

Also I think my DC isn't having DREs. I think it's just my copy of Bangai-O. Speaking of which, level 13 is hard, but it's hard because of layout memorization and time limits.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:38:04 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6231 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »

Dear Esther is a curious thing. It definitely blurs the line on what is and isn't a game. You simply walk around, in a somewhat linear fashion, waiting to trigger voice-overs that relate the story to you. That's about it.
The game is very pretty, with a nice mood-enhancing soundtrack. The guy doing the voice overs is great.
Apparently, it's very short, though. I think I'm halfway through, and have only played for maybe an hour.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6232 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »

From what I know about Dear Esther, it shouldn't even be considered a "game" as such. Its more of an experimental story medium with interactivity being limited to moving forward at your own pace while enjoying the view.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6233 on: November 05, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

Got sidetracked with YS Seven, as soon as it booted up, I knew this was the ARPG that I'd been waiting for. Time just seems to slide away while I'm playing this game, and the mechanics of it are just slick. It's a whole lot of fun. Just made it to the Desert Town, just trying to grind for some mats so I can craft new weapons, but it doesn't detract from the experience!

Will be headed back to my platinum run of P4G, to me, this is the one other game so far that I've tried to platinum that doesn't feel like a mega chore (the other game was Lego Indiana Jones, but i maxed that on 360) because all of the trophies are attainable. I share the same sentiments as other posters who just can't be bothered with the collect 100% of items, speed runs, etc.

I remember at a certain point I was just playing games for gamerscore, but that really sapped the fun out of it. This is the first time in a long long while since I've decided to concentrate on getting 100% in a game.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6234 on: November 05, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

Dark Moon -  Got to the timed portion of the Treacherous Mansion.  Didn't realize it was timed until it was too late.  I like to wander.  Oh, every time I play this game I want to watch Cinderella.  The professor sounds just like Gus. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6235 on: November 05, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

The professor sounds just like Gus. 

You said it wrong, you're supposed to say "Gus-gus!"  :D

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
I think everyone's beaten this game but me; but I find these titles are better in small doses (it can get repetitive and dialogue-heavy....that and I just don't have the time).
I hate when I offer equally substantial evidence but the game tells me it's no good: DAMMIT JUDGE, I CAN CONNECT HOW IT'S RELEVANT.

I don't like Athena Cykes' power, at least compared to Apollo's (I find his more fun, Athena's is just kinda....sit-along and enjoy the ride...).   I also get a little bugged out at how many "genius" back stories Japan turns out to keep a cast member young.... because yeah, passing the bar at 18 is just silly to me.  But that's a nuance; she's a fun character anyways and I'm glad they went all out to give her similar 'funny faces'.

I do love Simon Blackwill, but I've generally loved all "types" of prosecutor's the game has, they're all...just bizarre in wonderful ways (I love how his bird's eyes go wide when Simon slams the desk).  What's the thing in his mouth supposed to be?  I think it was part whole grain, part chewing tobacco, and part frozen treat.  I don't know these things...

I love the character reactions too; those are as good as ever.  I mean, that one lady-fella has cell-phone shoulder pads....  But I like how they always have that one "creepy pasta" reaction: their "breakdown" face.

More to come. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6236 on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

Eternal Sonata:

I forgot just how hilariously OP Viola is when she joins your party. It, however, does not make Fort Fermata any less of an awful dungeon.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6237 on: November 05, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

Eternal Sonata:

I forgot just how hilariously OP Viola is when she joins your party. It, however, does not make Fort Fermata any less of an awful dungeon.

Viola is, without a DOUBT, the "Mid-game Queen".  But later on she can be replaced by others better.  I'd actually argue Falsetto is probably the best character, at least in terms of milking the battle system for what it's worth.  The twins are supposed to be really good too, but I never had the patience for characters that are good at buffing and attacking (especially since ES really forces you to think fast)

And yeah, I just used a map for Fermata, wasn't worth the grief or time
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4738/eternalsonatafortfermatkx8.gif

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6238 on: November 05, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »

I couldn't finish the game, but I'll agree that Viola was OP from start up until the point where I gave up.

Code:
I quit soon after the 10 minute cutscene of the girl dying... and she REALLY sucked in combat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOI4Pps0PE&feature=player_detailpage#t=589
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:20:05 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6239 on: November 05, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »

I couldn't finish the game, but I'll agree that Viola was OP from start up until the point where I gave up.

Code:
I quit soon after the 10 minute cutscene of the girl dying... and she REALLY sucked in combat

Why would you give up then?  That was comedic gold, I had to beat it after that.  Good thing she sucked and the notoriety of that scene had me avoid playing as her till another time.

But a few good hits with Viola takes care of most bosses at that mid point.  UNFORTUNATELY she's MISSING when you're running through the country with TWO healers, a photographer, and a buffer...wtf.  Who's decision kept all attackers in one party and all magician-types in the other?

Actually, I did want to bring this up.  The graphics for that game are still really, really something.  As in, how did Xillia screw the pooch over five years later in that department where...like...EVERY character's 3D model was still pixelated.

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: