Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338694 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 446155 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6390 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »

Anyways, Update:

After the first dungeon of Link Between Worlds, I can say I'm hooked.  The wall merging bit is a sexy gimmick and the puzzles are pretty crafty.

The puzzles really are pretty dubious and I like the fact that any hand-holding the game offers is entirely voluntary. Dungeons are a fantastic mix of those dubious puzzles, clever traps, and the occasional secret room. A lot of reviews I've read have called it a mediocre Zelda title, but I'd go so far as to say it lives up to it's predecessor exceptionally well.

I love the remastered music tracks, like for the Lost Woods and Light Dungeon themes (OMG if they have a remastered version of the Dark Woods, I will cry golden tears of happiness)

I actually loved starting the game with a "Hyrule Mile"; you get a lot of the big items down really quick and easily so you're not accessing only *parts* of the map at a time.  Flippers, power glove, and even fast travel is given almost right away so as to 'do away' with annoying obstacles.  Like in other games when you get Fast Travel it felt like a "privilege" you had to earn (and the game got better when you didn't have to travel everywhere; Suikoden's Viki was a godsend).

I think this game is just damn well designed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:22:08 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6391 on: November 22, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »

Anyways, Update:

After the first dungeon of Link Between Worlds, I can say I'm hooked.  The wall merging bit is a sexy gimmick and the puzzles are pretty crafty.

The puzzles really are pretty dubious and I like the fact that any hand-holding the game offers is entirely voluntary. Dungeons are a fantastic mix of those dubious puzzles, clever traps, and the occasional secret room. A lot of reviews I've read have called it a mediocre Zelda title, but I'd go so far as to say it lives up to it's predecessor exceptionally well.

I love the remastered music tracks, like for the Lost Woods and Light Dungeon themes (OMG if they have a remastered version of the Dark Woods, I will cry golden tears of happiness)

I actually loved starting the game with a "Hyrule Mile"; you get a lot of the big items down really quick and easily so you're not accessing only *parts* of the map at a time.  Flippers, power glove, and even fast travel is given almost right away so as to 'do away' with annoying obstacles.  Like in other games when you get Fast Travel it felt like a "privilege" you had to earn (and the game got better when you didn't have to travel everywhere; Suikoden's Viki was a godsend).

Dammit guys! Stop making me want to get this game now instead of waiting for a Black Friday deal. >.<

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6392 on: November 22, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »

Anyways, Update:

Dammit guys! Stop making me want to get this game now instead of waiting for a Black Friday deal. >.<

I really want it, and I don't even have a 3DS yet! I'll buy it for myself after Christmas(the game, not the system. The system is FOR Christmas. For my son, actually, but...well..ya know...)

Finished Act I of Lords of Shadows: Mirror of Fate. There's some serious heavy hitter Castlevania characters in this! I was surprised by who showed up at the end of this act. Awesome.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6393 on: November 23, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »

Started playing Anodyne. It's obviously very inspired by the first Zelda, but it doesn't have the sort of deliberate map design or enemy patterns Zelda had, and I... can't honestly say it's that fun to play so far?

Proteus - I actually sat through full round of this. It seems like something that would be really emotionally affecting if I was in the mood to be emotionally affected. As it stands, it's an exploration game where there's nothing really interesting to find.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:50:28 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6394 on: November 24, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »

In order to brush up my Japanese reading skill (which is pretty much at 0 right now) I've started to play Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) and Dangan Ronpa (PSVITA) in Japanese whenever I have the time.

This takes me a huuge amount of time, within an hour I don't progress that much because there are so many kanji I have to translate. But it's a good practice (I hope), not to mention it's fun exploring games in another language. Reminds me of when I first started playing Final Fantasy VII all those years ago (and then I didn't even speak English).

So far, both of those games are interesting. I have only just gotten to the first village in Crisis Core in the very beginning. Personally, I like the battle system so far and the graphics are beautiful.  As for Dangan Ronpa, I am just reading through the introduction where the protagonist is explaining about the school where all the super (duper) amazing students go into. So far, it looks promising. Can't wait to continue that game since I have heard good things about it.  The art style might take a while to get into perhaps.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:18:02 AM by eXaX » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6395 on: November 24, 2013, 03:57:38 AM »

ETS2 - Hauled sawdust from Slovakia to Brno. Made 8000 euros for it. Accumulated 14k worth of damage because I felt like going at 80 kph and drove over a guard rail somewhere in the mountains.

Laaving the airbraking simulation off for now. I cannot figure out how that works at all.

Anodyne - I feel compelled to keep looking for the cards in the game, and I'm curious about what's going on in the game, but... the combat mechanics don't really work -- I just got past the second boss fight and it mostly involved me standing in one place, bashing them while they didn't really respond --, the puzzles are not puzzles, the dust rafts kept glitching out in the... whatever dungeon I was in, uh... there's a LOT of empty maps that don't feel like they serve any purpose...

And the game just makes me feel really weird when I play it. It's like, bringing up memories of last November, and... fuck I don't know. I want to keep playing. I don't really enjoy it, but...

I'm debating playing LttP again to see if I still dislike it or not.

... Actually I think I would enjoy it now because the novelty of playing a game I've decided I dislike is usually enough to make me like it.

--- edit --

Going to take a walkthrough to the Ice Palace but current reaction is no, I still I don't like LttP.

Anyway I was talking to someone about Chrono Cross and they said something about the gameplay mechanics not making any sense in context, and I thought they were maybe talking about how the action bar recharge stuff can get wonky or something, but no, they were actually talking about how the magic system in CC was different from the one in CT, and thus broke immersion.

I don't even know what immersion is or why it matters. I think that whatever most gamers get out of games, I don't.

--- edit ---

Beat the Ice Palace in LttP.

One thing I've noticed about the 3D Zeldas is that, even though you have to restart from the beginning of a dungeon if you die, usually if you get the key item for that dungeon you start opening up some shortcuts. And the Oracles games just give you teleports for completing certain conditions, I believe. And it also seemed like they started adopting a more hubbed dungeon design to, so that you wouldn't necessarily have to re-run the entire area if you started over.

LttP doesn't really have that courtesy, and I think that's part of the reason why the dungeons annoy me so much.

The other issue I have with the design is that the dungeons, internally, feel very linear to me. They LOOK more open than they are, by merit of showing you stuff before you can get to it, but there's really one correct sequence through the dungeons, you can't deviate from it, and you can't short circuit it when revisiting. They just don't feel explorable to me, and that's the exact opposite of what the overworld stuff is like.

I don't know. I feel like revisiting Wind Waker and TP and seeing how they handle that. MM's dungeons at the least felt a lot more open to me for some reason, even if they weren't necessarily.

What are the Link Between Worlds dungeons like?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:57:33 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6396 on: November 24, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »

I'm debating playing LttP again to see if I still dislike it or not.

... Actually I think I would enjoy it now because the novelty of playing a game I've decided I dislike is usually enough to make me like it.

--- edit --

Going to take a walkthrough to the Ice Palace but current reaction is no, I still I don't like LttP.

I like it because I played it a lot as a kid -- basically it got me into games when I was...like 3-5 years old (naturally, I died a lot, or just spent a lot of time in Kakariko).

It works well, the dungeons provide decent puzzles, the game is fun to take on, and it was definitely a great big step to bring in the SNES.

Still, the NPCs are garbage, most of the people/monsters in world(s) are out to get you, and if anything, the immersion in ALttP is lacking because NPCs just seem to stand and talk than do much else; you are literally the sole player in the story.  You were just talking about Chrono Cross as well, but I find the lack of anything particularly interesting happening made it somewhat hard to dive into and immerse the player because of that; you go, you kill stuff, you move on and form little attachment to the title besides the stuff happening in dungeons. 

But I think it's partly why Ocarina of Time is also so beloved: Look at the great difference between them, not only in how you play by jumping from 2D-to-3D, but also because the game actually had characters worth a bit of a damn because they played a part in the story, and there was tasking in between dungeons that had you interact with the people and the world that would elaborate its strangeness and uniqueness.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6397 on: November 24, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »

I stop playing LttP these days when I get to the dungeon with the moth boss.

"What does he do?"
"Well he flies around and stuff"
"Hmm... let's add some environmental hazards."
"Like... spikes?"
"Yeah, but make them moving spikes"
"Oh, what if the floor is just a big conveyor belt"
"I like it! Okay. put all of that in there. And what the hell, add a pit in the middle of the room too. Can't make it too easy."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6398 on: November 24, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

I stop playing LttP these days when I get to the dungeon with the moth boss.

"What does he do?"
"Well he flies around and stuff"
"Hmm... let's add some environmental hazards."
"Like... spikes?"
"Yeah, but make them moving spikes"
"Oh, what if the floor is just a big conveyor belt"
"I like it! Okay. put all of that in there. And what the hell, add a pit in the middle of the room too. Can't make it too easy."

Yeah that's the other thing. It's harder than a lot of the more recent Zeldas but not necessarily in a way that I find fun. Like in the Ice Palace, you have narrow pathways and spikes -- and slipper floors. Challenging? Yes. Obnoxious? Deeply.

Anyway, got up to Chapter 4 in Terranigma. This game needs re-translated sometime.

--- edit ---

Aaand I'd have to do a bunch of backtracking through Death Mountain to get a spell I need to get into the next dungeon (and it's not really indicated that the monument in question gives you the spell -- just that you need to go back there at some point).

I really want to say that I remember the GBC games streamlining things a lot.

I kind of want to play DX: HR now. It's a shame I'm supposed to hate it because of the boss fights.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:02:30 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6399 on: November 24, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Made some serious headway in Ni No Kuni, but man those sidequests where you have to recruit certain creatures are a real pain in the ass.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6400 on: November 24, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »

I kind of want to play DX: HR now. It's a shame I'm supposed to hate it because of the boss fights.

Update to DC and it's all good.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6401 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »

Update to DC and it's all good.

idk they still don't provide no-kill options in that, and I'd like to relive the glory days of the original Deus Ex where you could keep Navarre, Manderlay, and Gunter alive.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6402 on: November 26, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »

Been logging in some hours in Guided Fate Paradox, SMT IV, Ni No Kuni, Lunar 2, and...Chaos Wars.

I don't know how I ended up having so many RPGs in progress.  I usually try to keep myself from doing this.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6403 on: November 26, 2013, 02:22:27 AM »

Been logging in some hours in Guided Fate Paradox, SMT IV, Ni No Kuni, Lunar 2, and...Chaos Wars.

I don't know how I ended up having so many RPGs in progress.  I usually try to keep myself from doing this.

I get too lazy to disc swap in the end.  One title at a time for me! 
I'm amazed that works for you though, and hey, go for it!  Win!

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6404 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »

I get too lazy to disc swap in the end.  One title at a time for me! 
I'm amazed that works for you though, and hey, go for it!  Win!
Well with the PS3 I've formed the habit of taking the disc out at the end of the day so that it's not spinning during downloads in the middle of the night.  Then it's just a matter of what I want to put in when I play again.  I've been guilty of laziness though, as there are some digital games I end up playing simply because of the convenience of not disc swapping...it would literally take 10 seconds to switch but sometimes I can't help it.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: