Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 08:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334486 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 423610 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6480 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »

The one thing the first game has over later games is that you don't need a power point presentation to understand what the fuck's going on.

Well the game started and I was thinking : "Where the fuck are they? Spira? Why is Wakka there? Why is Tidus mentioned? Is KH1 part of FFX?"

It just seemed utterly pointless to include Wakka in the first part of the game.

To be fair, Sora and friends, being primarily a Squeenix characters needed someplace Squeenixy to start out in rather than "Meanwhile; at the Magic Kingdom: King Mickey summons his hereto unknown greatest general and hero, Sora.". Besides this is a crossover game, and FFX was the latest FF to come out. At least it was better than "Here. Have not-Sora and go through this tutorial area, playing minigames and whatnot. Then 40+ hours of playing as Sora, learn that not-Sora is stupidly important to the plot all of a sudden.".

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6481 on: December 10, 2013, 02:29:36 AM »

Honestly, something I wish they would do with Kingdom Hearts is put more of an emphasis on the Final Fantasy side.  Every single character takes a backseat in both story and gameplay, while you see tons of Disney worlds and characters.  It would be great to go through some FF worlds everyone once in a while, and see characters from before FF VII.  They're basically Disney games with FF cameos in them rather the crossover games they're portrayed to be.  Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to have a balance between FF, Disney, and KH properties.  My guess is Disney is holding SE on a tight leash.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:31:08 AM by Elegance » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6482 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:05 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/25/making-3d-space-harrier-segas-new-3d-classics-series/

This is interesting to read.

I can get up to level 6 before the game quits letting me credit feed. I could just start over from level six but where's the fun in that? Space Harrier is one of those rare childhood games that, for me, is still as magical now as it was back then.

I think my favorite visual settings are maxing out the screen size but leaving the cab tilting on. You get some slight aberrations in the sprite rotation if you have the cab visible.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6483 on: December 11, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »

That is shitty to hear.

I'm in the world with the districts now. I'm running around trying to find Donald and Goofy and all I'm doing is getting constantly attacked by those stupid black shadows. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. If I'm trying to do something or find the next place to go, *don't* interrupt me with constant random battles that prevent me from doing what I want to. It's incredibly irksome. This game is checking all my negative boxes all at once.

Edit - I gave up after three hours. I just couldn't take any more.

At least instead of saying I refuse to play KH because I hate Disney, I can at least honestly say I tried KH and it was just a shitty game.

That was my experience too... my compulsive nature bested me eventually and I got back to it. By the end of the game I actually really became addicted. While some may argue the experience does not drastically improve much, I found it to be quite the opposite. Once I acquired various battle skills that amended the gameplay somewhat, the game become far more enjoyable for me. I will say that the camera did perpetually piss me off from beginning to end.

The real problem I had with KH was how much it made me wish they continued the Mana series with something along these lines as opposed to creating the Disney/Square mash-up franchise. I freakin' hate disney. I'm actually amazed I got past that aversion to play through KH.

In my personal gaming realm I've been doing BIG things.

Wind Waker HD/ BEAT!!! Take that Son-Ganon-Samurai of hyrule!

Chrono Trigger/ BEAT!!! Good god playing through this was nostalgia at its finest. I forgot how epic the final, seizure inducing, boss fight could be.

And thus, in the wake of completing those two last week, this week I decided to sample a few before settling on what was next.

Ar Tonelico 3/ I will NOT shake my controller.... To expand on that point.. I WILL NOT SHAKE MY CONTROLLER TO MAKE A CARTOON STRIP. I had this LE on the shelf since release and was really stoked to get to it. Disappointment does not apropriately sum up my feeling for this title. I don't care if I played the first 2 and loved em. The gameplay here felt inexcusable to me.

FFXIII-2/ Played the beginning, very enticing. Unlike XIII I am going into this without any "Final Fantasy expectations". I tend to think it will make for a more enjoyable experience if I pretend the game is called something else entirely...

However I will not be immediately getting to XIII-2 because for this holiday season I am treating myself to...

Suikoden 2/ I only played through this one once when it was first released. I essentially remembered nothing of it aside from the MC's weapons and outfit color. I'm only 4-5 hours in and I can safely say I'm pretty in love with it. Flik was one of my favorites from Suikoden 1 so seeing him amongst so many others within the first few hours of the game grabbed me immediately. There is also something really odd about the setting and "mood" of Suikoden 1 and 2 that is absent from 3 and beyond to me... I feel like if J.R.R Tolkien was a japanese game designer he would have made something of a similar tone or "feel" to it. That is a GOOD thing to me BTW.

Lastly, I am REALLY aiming for 108 stars but will not indulge spoilers... does anyone have any spoiler free tips on achieving this? I'm too afraid to look at any faqs or anything.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:10:31 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6484 on: December 11, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »

The real problem I had with KH was how much it made me wish they continued the Mana series with something along these lines as opposed to creating the Disney/Square mash-up franchise. I freakin' hate disney. I'm actually amazed I got past that aversion to play through KH.

They did. It was called Dawn of Mana and it sucked due to Unreal Engine shenanigans and a rather stupid progression system (if you can even call it that). The camera being ass and the added emphasis on platforming in a near fully destructible environment was even more insane.

Lastly, I am REALLY aiming for 108 stars but will not indulge spoilers... does anyone have any spoiler free tips on achieving this? I'm too afraid to look at any faqs or anything.

Ahahahaha....Er, ahem. My best advice is to not worry about recruiting anybody until you hit North Window which is like a quarter of the way into the game (except for a particular squirrel hanging out behind the main characters' house at the start of the game, because your next opportunity to get him will be at the very end of the game). Also, make sure to use one of the Listening Crystals on the Griffin (or is he a Hippogriff?) since you cannot recruit all 108 stars without him. Also also, make sure you throughly explore Muse early on and get the package from a woman in a white cape, if you don't do even this much of Clive's sidequest, then you wont trigger his appearance later on and cannot recruit him. Also also also, by the third strategy battle there will be an odd unit lead by a guy with a portrait, fight but do not defeat him and he will join afterwards (if I am wrong or the method didn't take, reload and try again).

That's all I've got for now.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6485 on: December 11, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »

I really want to get 100% on Lego Lord of the Rings before Christmas, but I'm averaging about 1% per hour, there's just SO MUCH stuff to collect in the game, and the levels take forever to run through. Probably going to give in and use a guide at some point soon.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6486 on: December 11, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »

They did. It was called Dawn of Mana and it sucked due to Unreal Engine shenanigans and a rather stupid progression system (if you can even call it that). The camera being ass and the added emphasis on platforming in a near fully destructible environment was even more insane.

Ahahahaha....Er, ahem. My best advice is to not worry about recruiting anybody until you hit North Window which is like a quarter of the way into the game (except for a particular squirrel hanging out behind the main characters' house at the start of the game, because your next opportunity to get him will be at the very end of the game). Also, make sure to use one of the Listening Crystals on the Griffin (or is he a Hippogriff?) since you cannot recruit all 108 stars without him. Also also, make sure you throughly explore Muse early on and get the package from a woman in a white cape, if you don't do even this much of Clive's sidequest, then you wont trigger his appearance later on and cannot recruit him. Also also also, by the third strategy battle there will be an odd unit lead by a guy with a portrait, fight but do not defeat him and he will join afterwards (if I am wrong or the method didn't take, reload and try again).

Dawn of Mana was NOT nearly as Mana feeling as KH to me in terms of gameplay. And yes, I agree that it was terribly flawed but I cannot comment further seeing as how all I recall was trying and failing to throw around objects until I eventually rage quit. That title is on my "someday" list...

As for the Suikoden info, that is GOLDEN!! Thanks a bunch! Luckily I found the squirrel. Oddly enough I remembered to look for him because of an old post of yours like 2 years ago when I was playing Suikoden 1! LoL

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6487 on: December 12, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »

Dawn of Mana was NOT nearly as Mana feeling as KH to me in terms of gameplay. And yes, I agree that it was terribly flawed but I cannot comment further seeing as how all I recall was trying and failing to throw around objects until I eventually rage quit. That title is on my "someday" list...

As for the Suikoden info, that is GOLDEN!! Thanks a bunch! Luckily I found the squirrel. Oddly enough I remembered to look for him because of an old post of yours like 2 years ago when I was playing Suikoden 1! LoL

Additionally, try to run from every odd battle between your first trip to Muse and reaching Radat, and trade Crystal Balls from elsewhere to the Kobold village and then buy up any Ancient Texts from those guys (if available) and make sure to take them to the Trading Town in the Greenhill region plus any Celadon Urns you come across can be useful for trading for potch as well.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6488 on: December 12, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »

The minigame in Suikoden 2 is so rigged in your favor, I played that for an hour or so and had practically unlimited potch.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6489 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

Mana Khemia

The game seems to be taking a turn for the depressing as of chapter 8. Hopefully I am wrong. Not that it seems to be done bad but rather I simply don't want it to happen.

Code:
The chapter intro conversations seem to be leading to Vayne is the Mana and Sulphur is an ordinary cat. Been suspicious as soon as they mentioned Sulphur as a kitten. Him being unable to talk was also suspicious. What depresses me is that they seem to be going the path of making sulphur die of old age. Hoping that Vayne can bring him back somehow if he does. He brought back a tree to life so don't know if it is in his power.

Loved Sulphur ever since he called that Freshman a bitch

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6490 on: December 12, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »

Additionally, try to run from every odd battle between your first trip to Muse and reaching Radat, and trade Crystal Balls from elsewhere to the Kobold village and then buy up any Ancient Texts from those guys (if available) and make sure to take them to the Trading Town in the Greenhill region plus any Celadon Urns you come across can be useful for trading for potch as well.

More priceless nuggets of wisdom... I am taking notes my friend, thank you.

Additionally I remember you mentioning ages ago in a post about finding multiple squirels. As of now I only have Mukomo...errr.. whomever. Are these other squirels missable or just difficult to find?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6491 on: December 12, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »

More priceless nuggets of wisdom... I am taking notes my friend, thank you.

Additionally I remember you mentioning ages ago in a post about finding multiple squirels. As of now I only have Mukomo...errr.. whomever. Are these other squirels missable or just difficult to find?

Stupidly difficult to find. Fortunately, they do not count towards the 108 Stars goal and thus are totally optional (and thank god too since my copy of the game is bugged and recruiting even one of them results in a glitchy mess and crashes my game shortly thereafter), plus they provide you with one of the strongest unites in the game, capable of oneshoting the final boss, provided you have and field all five. That said, there's a video on Youtube (that I unfortunately didn't remember to save the link for) that shows you the precise actions you need to take to find and recruit them, and it is no understatement to say that you will need this video unless you enjoy the thought of having your MC randomly roaming the countryside all by himself (since the squirrels will straight up insert themselves into your active party if you come across them; thus no room==no squirrels).

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6492 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

BLWAD - Beat like half the lighthouse. The... lighthouse with the whirlywoo on the front of it and the wind blowers.

Uh...

Space Harrier - Consistently can get to level 8 from level 1 now. Not sure if I'm getting better or if the game subtly upped the continue limit.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6493 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »

DD:DA - Curiosity got the better of me and I went to Bitterblack Isle under leveled.  I pretty much ran out with all my pawns missing/dead.  So I resumed the main game and was a bit disturbed with what appeared to be romance from out of nowhere (the Arousing Suspiscion quest).  Don't get me wrong, I love romance.  I just don't like ones with no development.  My heroine has no heart and has important matters on her plate.  Romance should be last on the list, if at all.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6494 on: December 13, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »

So I have played through 999 twice now and both times have gotten what I can only assume is the worst ending, despite making completely different choices the second time. I'm about halfway through my third playthrough and if I get the same ending yet again I will be quite frustrated. I was hoping to get all the endings by the end of the year, but things are not looking good. Luckily the game does get significantly shorter the more content you can fast forward through.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: