Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318890 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 355491 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6495 on: December 13, 2013, 06:56:31 AM »

Mana Khemia

The game seems to be taking a turn for the depressing as of chapter 8. Hopefully I am wrong. Not that it seems to be done bad but rather I simply don't want it to happen.

Code:
The chapter intro conversations seem to be leading to Vayne is the Mana and Sulphur is an ordinary cat. Been suspicious as soon as they mentioned Sulphur as a kitten. Him being unable to talk was also suspicious. What depresses me is that they seem to be going the path of making sulphur die of old age. Hoping that Vayne can bring him back somehow if he does. He brought back a tree to life so don't know if it is in his power.

Loved Sulphur ever since he called that Freshman a bitch
The fact that you don't want that to happen just proves that you like the characters, which means the game has done a good job with them. I want to provide you comfort that everything will be alright, but I can't think of anything that would help that isn't a major spoiler.

Code:
Instead I'll just point out that Vayne's battle sprite uses Sulphur, so Sulphur has to still be around in some form or another unless they decided to make an entirely new battle sprite for Vayne for the last....third of the game?
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6496 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »

So a couple of weeks ago I was trying to replay Valkyria Chronicles for the umpteenth time, and while I have tried loving this game because it was the direction I wanted to see SRPGs take, I just have resigned myself to admitting that I will always suck ass at this game and move on to the other games I bought and haven't really put much time into.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6497 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

Valkyria is a great game, but it was just too hard for me. I suck at SRPGs.

Played some more Dragons Dogma last night. I can see this game taking up a LOT of my time. I went into the pawn place(The rift! Thanks, CW) and saw what's there. There was a lvl 44 fighter that looked cool, but I feel it's wrong to sign up such a strong dude. For those who've played, how does that work? Does he come along and slaughter all the monsters in my path because he's so much higher leveled than I am? And should I take the 2 extra pawns with me always? They said it costs money(or whatever) but when I go up to them it shows 0 dollars. I'm confused.
I made a female mage for my standard pawn friend. Hopefully that wasn't a bad decision.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:26:14 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6498 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »

You should take the 2 pawns unless you want to make the game challenging.  You can hire pawns of equal or lesser level for free.  Psn friends are free regardless of level.  I think there is an experience penalty if you use someone with a higher level.  I haven't tried that.  I always go into the rift and search by level.  I like pawns that have quest knowledge, useful skills, and good armor.  As for your pawn you can change vocations later so you can't screw yourself over.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6499 on: December 13, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »

Well I've done it now....

I screwed up and my ceaseless efforts for 108 stars in suikoden 2 caused me to trigger some sort of "glitch". I broke sequence and started something could not finish by apparently activating a quest I could not complete.

So I was forced to check a guide to see if the damage I did damned my chances at 108, forcing me to load from an earlier save..... and that is when IT happened.

Of all the terrible things my wandering eyes could have seen... I saw THIS!!!!

Code:
Nanami "dies"

That was all I saw. I did not read more. Someone please, for the love of God, tell me I didn't completely ruin this game on myself. That is, someone tell me there is more twists and turns and plot splendor to enjoy because I feel like I just TOTALLY ruined it.

On the bright side, I did need to re-load from an earlier save. If I had not looked that up I would have totally screwed my chances at 108.

But that is it, no more screwing around. Whether I do it or not (achieve 108), I'm playing through the rest of this thing without looking at ANYTHING save Aeolus lovely spoiler-free-spurts of wisdom.

EDIT: I feel like I've unwittingly done something on the scale of "spoiling christmas" or something like that.... someone fix my shattered existence and say it ain't so.... please

*tells myself over and over that ninjas don't cry... ninjas don't cry*.... *sob* *sob*
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:53:42 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6500 on: December 13, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »

Has anybody here played Crimson Shroud or Attack of the Friday Monsters? Thinking of getting one of them. Are they worth the price? I hear both are quite short games. Leaning more towards Crimson Shroud at the moment. Kyle seemed to really like it. AotFM also received a lot of praise where I looked but I seem to recall Dice saying she hated it.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6501 on: December 13, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

Well I've done it now....

I screwed up and my ceaseless efforts for 108 stars in suikoden 2 caused me to trigger some sort of "glitch". I broke sequence and started something could not finish by apparently activating a quest I could not complete.

So I was forced to check a guide to see if the damage I did damned my chances at 108, forcing me to load from an earlier save..... and that is when IT happened.

Of all the terrible things my wandering eyes could have seen... I saw THIS!!!!

Code:
Nanami "dies"

That was all I saw. I did not read more. Someone please, for the love of God, tell me I didn't completely ruin this game on myself. That is, someone tell me there is more twists and turns and plot splendor to enjoy because I feel like I just TOTALLY ruined it.

On the bright side, I did need to re-load from an earlier save. If I had not looked that up I would have totally screwed my chances at 108.

But that is it, no more screwing around. Whether I do it or not (achieve 108), I'm playing through the rest of this thing without looking at ANYTHING save Aeolus lovely spoiler-free-spurts of wisdom.

EDIT: I feel like I've unwittingly done something on the scale of "spoiling christmas" or something like that.... someone fix my shattered existence and say it ain't so.... please

*tells myself over and over that ninjas don't cry... ninjas don't cry*.... *sob* *sob*

And this is why you don't go playing for all 108 stars on your first run.

For what its worth, my best advice is to remember what happens when you do collect all 108 SoDs in other Suikoden games.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6502 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

It isn't my first run. I played through each upon release. The first and second just happened to come out so long ago that I have vague recollections of them. I chose to aim for 108 for all the data import goodies from 1-3.

Reading that sure jogged my memory though...

So come on Aeolus.... tell me there is more major-plottage worth seeing aside from what I have just effectively spoiled...

Additionally...

For what its worth, my best advice is to remember what happens when you do collect all 108 SoDs in other Suikoden games.

I see where you are going with that.... I think... Say no more.

EDIT: Most importantly tell me I didn't ruin christmas!!!

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6503 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

It isn't my first run. I played through each upon release. The first and second just happened to come out so long ago that I have vague recollections of them. I chose to aim for 108 for all the data import goodies from 1-3.

Reading that sure jogged my memory though...

So come on Aeolus.... tell me there is more major-plottage worth seeing aside from what I have just effectively spoiled...

Additionally...

I see where you are going with that.... I think... Say no more.

EDIT: Most importantly tell me I didn't ruin christmas!!!

Wait. I think I remember what you're talking about now. As long as you didn't complete their quest, Futch and Humphrey will still be waiting for you at the foot of the mountain (this is of course, the reason why I told you to not worry about collecting the 108 SoD until after you hit N.Window). Although, if you did complete their quest before getting your headquarters then that's beyond what I did in my two runs of the game.

As for major plottage, oh hell yeah. This is a numbered Suikoden game after all, even with 108 recruitable characters there's still plenty of death and destruction to go around. The one big thing that you can change (aside from the description you gave) depends on whether you run from Tinto or not, and if you decide to, then how far you run to.

And if you're really worried about Christmas, don't be. If Fox News' War on Christmas can't ruin the season, I highly doubt you'll be able to do anything to it on your own (and if something does happen, just remember: There's always X-mas).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6504 on: December 14, 2013, 01:57:23 AM »

Wait. I think I remember what you're talking about now. As long as you didn't complete their quest, Futch and Humphrey will still be waiting for you at the foot of the mountain (this is of course, the reason why I told you to not worry about collecting the 108 SoD until after you hit N.Window). Although, if you did complete their quest before getting your headquarters then that's beyond what I did in my two runs of the game.

Yes sir you hit the nail on head. That was exactly what I was talking about. I really wasn't trying to not heed your advice... my tendency toward exploration just bested me really... the world Suikoden 2 is soooo vast in contrast to 1. I simply couldn't help myself. Next thing I knew I was indeed involved in the Humphrey/Futch quest and getting my ass handed to me. Enemy level aside, NPC dialogue lead me to believe I had screwed up the proper "order or operation".

And no sir. I did not complete their quest. In spite of all of Humphrey's import-data-might I failed.

When I checked to see if I could leave and return to the quest later when I was supposed to, or if I indeed needed to reload an earlier save (i always play it safe) was when the dreaded spoiler was glimpsed.

As for major plottage, oh hell yeah. This is a numbered Suikoden game after all, even with 108 recruitable characters there's still plenty of death and destruction to go around. The one big thing that you can change (aside from the description you gave) depends on whether you run from Tinto or not, and if you decide to, then how far you run to.

And if you're really worried about Christmas, don't be. If Fox News' War on Christmas can't ruin the season, I highly doubt you'll be able to do anything to it on your own (and if something does happen, just remember: There's always X-mas).

THANK YOU!! That was exactly what I needed to hear to keep me motivated and not feel as though I was embarking on a chore of a play-through for my "holiday game".

I'll never forget going to gamestop and having everything about Richard spoiled on me for Tales of Graces F.... It seems to have left me with PTSS (post traumatic spoiler syndrome)... unfortunately there was NOT any other major plottage in that game and that spoiler really did dull my enjoyment of the title considerably.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6505 on: December 14, 2013, 02:36:18 AM »

DD:DA - Got faked out by the credits.  Thought it was over but  obviously I was wrong.  Oh yeah the romance aspect of the game was poorly implemented.  I ended up with someone I didn't even remember talking to all that much. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6506 on: December 14, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »

Yes sir you hit the nail on head. That was exactly what I was talking about. I really wasn't trying to not heed your advice... my tendency toward exploration just bested me really... the world Suikoden 2 is soooo vast in contrast to 1. I simply couldn't help myself. Next thing I knew I was indeed involved in the Humphrey/Futch quest and getting my ass handed to me. Enemy level aside, NPC dialogue lead me to believe I had screwed up the proper "order or operation".

And no sir. I did not complete their quest. In spite of all of Humphrey's import-data-might I failed.

When I checked to see if I could leave and return to the quest later when I was supposed to, or if I indeed needed to reload an earlier save (i always play it safe) was when the dreaded spoiler was glimpsed.

Actually, that sequence break is well known as a notorious power leveling trick that makes the majority of the game a cakewalk (not that the game is that hard to begin with; tactical battles aside), and makes actually completing Clive's sidequest a hell of a lot easier since getting a gameover allows you to keep your levels and experience and nothing else (especially the time elapsed from the point you died at to your last save).

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6507 on: December 14, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

Actually, that sequence break is well known as a notorious power leveling trick that makes the majority of the game a cakewalk (not that the game is that hard to begin with; tactical battles aside), and makes actually completing Clive's sidequest a hell of a lot easier since getting a gameover allows you to keep your levels and experience and nothing else (especially the time elapsed from the point you died at to your last save).

Oh cool! Good to know for the future if I ever feel the need to re-play.

On the Clive note, I don't need to complete his time restricted sidequest to recruit him, correct? I just got to Muse (2nd trip) and made sure to see him both in the alley and then at the front gate with Elza and acquired the sound setting. I scoured the town to ensure there was no more events to trigger, talking to every NPC top to bottom. It IS safe to move on now right?

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6508 on: December 14, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »

Tearaway and 3D Land are big fun.

FF13... certain parts drag on but I love the story, music, cutscenes, and combat.

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6509 on: December 14, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »

Tearaway and 3D Land are big fun.

FF13... certain parts drag on but I love the story, music, cutscenes, and combat.

Ahh good to know I'm not the only one playing FF-Catch Up! LoL

I myself plan on trying to knock out FF13-2 before lighting returns comes out even though I am doing a Suikoden 2 playthrough before I get to that.

As for 13-1, my only advice is NOT to get lazy with the plot. This game demands your focus and a wee bit of study to really enjoy the narrative. To take it in as the game erroneously presents it to you will cost you a fair amount of understanding what has the potential of being a really decent story. Read the data logs and if dialogue starts to sound like a foreign language take the time to read up online on what you don't get until all the convoluted terminology makes sense.

I DID NOT do that and missed out on a ton. In all honesty I didn't grasp what the hell was going on by the end of the game and it really damaged the "fun factor" for me.

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: