Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 03:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338121 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 443148 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6600 on: December 28, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »

Rune Factory 4.

Way too much fun. I feel like I have so much to do, and it doesn't feel monotonous. Also, XSEED's localization team is my favorite ever.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6601 on: December 28, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

Finished Picross E.  Got a $100 eshop credit for Xmas.  Bought the other 2 Picross games, Attack of the Friday Monsters, The Starship Damrey, and AA:DD.  Unfortunately I have to temporarily give up my 3ds so my bf can play the new Zelda game.  He never finishes a game so I hoping he will be a bit more motivated since I will be waiting for him to finish.  I should be okay since he bought me a psp.  I downloaded Sweet Fuse but have yet to play.

Just finished AotFM.  Thought it was super cute and recommend it at the sales price.  I finished all episodes but 4.  I didn't really care for the card battles but I like everything else.  It had fun sense of adventure.

Finished The Starship Damrey.  Some of the jump scares got me, especially the first one.  The ending wasn't shocking since I kinda expected something like that  after the first few minutes of the game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:52:14 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6602 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »

I'm pretty far into Beyond: Two Souls, and I'm really loving the game. I don't get all the gripes about it. The only issue I've had is with knowing which way to hit during a fight. I need arrows or something, as It's not always obvious.
Production values are astounding on this.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6603 on: December 29, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

I don't get all the gripes about it.

As far as I can tell a lot of the gripes come down to whether or not its your kind of game. It's in a weird spot where it has too much gameplay to be a visual novel, but maybe not enough to be enjoyable as a game. I know I can't stand games that don't have a lot of gameplay, for instance, so I'm not going near it, especially after Heavy Rain. (granted, I do like games like Gone Home and To the Moon, where gameplay is minimized for the sake of the story, and the gameplay is meant to help with the atmosphere, but I kind of enjoyed those games despite what they were rather than because of it)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6604 on: December 29, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

Viva Pinata - I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a Preztail. I have moths. I'm growing corn for money. I'm forcing worms to fuck so I can feed their children to birds.

Escape Goat - I have no idea how this has universal acclaim. Music's great. Visuals work well. Gameplay's a mess. Jumping physics are way too floaty and imprecise which mostly isn't a problem except for the few levels that need precise control. Only two of the worlds have had difficult puzzles but the puzzle solutions feel really arbitrary.

Basically it's like you get a few kind of switches, and pressing a switch does something but they can potentially do ANYTHING so on one hand it's just trial and error till you figure out which switch does what, so even the mechanics feel arbitrary.

Also there seems to be some hamfisted political commentary in it.

Outrun 2006 - Made some progress in Coast to Coast mode. Trying to figure which missions Outrun 2 had on the XBox and how they're different from C2C's. I think they're all present, just baked into Girlfriend Mode now.

IREM Stuff - Okay, played this more since I got the legal Dotemu ROMs I bought working in MAME. Blade Masters is pretty cool -- really simple but in an interesting way that really puts the focus on moving around and keeping space instead of just flying kicking everywhere. Also the second level of Air Duel gets nuts.

Superior Soldier seems to be the only genuinely /bad/ game in the set. US version of Undercover Cops is still pretty fun, even if it's missing things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6605 on: December 29, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »

Ys V - Just barely made it through the marsh cave, and the crystal was stolen from me by some comic reliefs...

Not sure what else to play for the next week until I get Super Mario 3D World...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6606 on: December 29, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

The quality of the Deadly Premonition port is pretty shoddy, but hopefully I can finish the game without hitting that game breaking bug like I did on the 360.

It's at least better than Remember Me, which I picked up cheap on the weekend and crashed (and hardlocked) my PS3 so that I had to turn it off and reboot the whole machine.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6607 on: December 30, 2013, 01:02:08 AM »

Lard I heard the PC version of DP is even more broken than any of the other versions. Also apparently the Japanese version did NOT have all these gamebreaking issues.

Anyway.

Burnout Paradise - Seems fun enough but it's not really evocative in the way that SCS's games/Outrun/Super Hang On are, despite being kind of similar to all of those. It does have this very /male power fantasy/ vibe to it that I'm not fond of.

Mighty Switch Force - It's fun but it's seriously lack in substance. I played through about half of the game in thirty minutes, and 6 of those levels felt like tutorials. It's built for speedrunning I guess but the actual gameplay isn't really fast enough for that to work out?

Viva Pinata - I like how the DS version didn't interrupt you with cutscenes constantly :T

Eldrith - It's fun but it feels kind f shallow and there are only four weapons in the base game (plus dynamite which is more of a tool).

--- edit ---

RE: Burnout Paradise - This game is visually confusing. I think it's the whole "realism is gary"* aesthetic coupled with way too much detail. This is the same impression I get from looking at most modernish AAA-videogames though.

* Legit misspelling of gray. I thought t was funny so I'm not fixing it. CANDACE OUT, PEACE.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:00:10 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6608 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »

Finished Pandora's Tower with 100% yesterday. Enjoyable game. Liked the story, battle system was nice, disliked the chain controls, also disliked the complete lack of camera controls. Endings were nice, although I wish that the scene I needed to make the backstory make sense hadn't been hidden in the credits of the S ending. Well whatever.

I need to decide on my next game. My backlog currently has Skyward Sword, Disgaea D2, The Guided Fate Paradox, and Persona 2. Well actually has a few more games for Vita and 3DS, but I am holding off on those for the moment. I think I am going to go with Disgaea D2, but I will have to see if that is what I am in the mood for in a few hours.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6609 on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »

Lard I heard the PC version of DP is even more broken than any of the other versions. Also apparently the Japanese version did NOT have all these gamebreaking issues.

I have a copy of Red Seeds Profile back in Canada, but I wanted to play the game in English and see what the extra content was.
The game hasn't actually crashed on me, so I can't complain too much.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6610 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »

Ohhh boy I am about to finish Suikoden 2.... I'll be back when I'm through with it for the full report!!!

ADVICE DESIRED, PLEASE READ
This leaves me at a cross-roads of sorts... I know I have enough time to play FFXIII-2 and be all ready and set for XIII-3. This was my initial plan.

However...

I have had an Xbox 360, sitting idly, for over a year now. I own all the exclusive JRPG's for it I want. This includes Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

I always move onto the next thing I think I "should" play. Often times neglecting what I want to play or think will provide the most enjoyment (I hope that makes sense...). The result is I have yet to touch even one of those X-Box games. And while I feel I should play XIII-2 so I can move on to XIII-3 upon release because I am terribly curious about it, part of me is very tempted to move on to an X-Box titles. More then likely Vesperia.

Now I tried XIII-2 briefly, and while it didn't seem bad I just can't decide.

I also know within myself that if I don't play XIII-2 now I doubt I ever will. Admittingly, it is the hype of XIII-3 and prospect of playing as lighting with a new combat system that has me tempted.

I think I'm pretty set on XIII-2 but taking that road will pretty much decide the next two months of my gaming agenda, so before I make that move I would love to hear any opinions that may get me to re-think things.
ADVICE DESIRED: END: THANK YOU FOR READING

NOTE: I apologize to anyone who gets pissed off by the redundant "help me decide" what to play questions. In truth, I really trust your guys advice ever since my "Rorona" incident a few years back (for those who remember). Secondly, let me just state that yes I do indeed have mental problems and these decisions weigh far more heavily on my brain than they should, I am indeed aware of this (in case anyone was speculating).

EDIT: my alternative plan is to play XIII-2 on the weekdays and X-box on the weekends as a "best of both worlds" agenda but I don't know if that would prove to much narrative to focus on at once... Maybe XIII-2 as a main and bastion and some XBLA titles as weekend alternates? I have been dying to get to bastion ever since I tried it out like 14 months ago....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:31:56 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6611 on: December 30, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

I can say that Vesperia is a wild ride and certainly worth playing while XIII-2 is good, but not great. I'll also add that I recommend leaving Infinite Undiscovery on the back burner. A lot of people like it, but I couldn't stand the exploration. I love exploring everything in a game, and the way IU's map works you uncover a VERY tiny circle of it around your party as you're running through an area. This means covering every inch of a map means literally covering every inch of a map. This is made worse by the fact that areas are massive but completely devoid of anything interesting (Making the title ironically perfect).

I guess that was more of a rant about why I couldn't stand Infinite Undiscovery than genuine advice.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6612 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

I have had an Xbox 360, sitting idly, for over a year now. I own all the exclusive JRPG's for it I want. This includes Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

I love TLR but I'd recommend pawning the 360 version and getting the PC version cause the 360 version's fucked. If you can't run the PC version, then skip it.

Shining in the Darkness - Got this from some Steam pack. Played for about 20 minutes. Looks like yet another crappy 16-bit JRPG. Did Camelot just eat a fuckload of brain pills between this an SF1?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:29:13 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6613 on: December 30, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

Woohoo!  I cleared the Christmas event in KanColle.  My first time completing an event. (I started playing halfway through the fall event but I was a total newbie, didn't know what I was doing, and didn't really stand a chance...)  It's amazing how tense this game can get, there were a few nail-biters there.  I think the fact that the game has permadeath (that really can't be cheated since it's a browser game, there's no reloading here) is a big part of it.

One of these days I want to write up a more complete analysis of what exactly it is that makes this game so addictive...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6614 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:46 AM »

I'd recommend starting with Tales of Vesperia, followed by either Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey then the other one, and finally ignoring the rest as they are trash (I don't remember Magna Carta 2 having anything going for it; Infinite Undiscovery was another Tri-ace attempt at making an 360 exclusive JRPG and still isn't worth a damn; and you got screwed on getting the 360 version of Teh Last Remnant, seriously, the PC version is vastly superior in every way, and even then its still not a particularly good game unless you're a big fan of SaGa games and wanted to see them mixed with a little Ogre Battle).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: