Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337927 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 441150 times)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6615 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »

I've attempted to play all of the games you listed Klyde.  Of those, I never finished Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.  I just couldn't get into them. I finished Infinite Undiscovery but the game is mediocre at best.  The other games I finished and enjoyed.  I am a Tales fan so I typically enjoy all that I play.  (The only one I hated was Legendia since I wanted to murder Shirley.) Magna Carta 2 was a vast improvement over the torturous gameplay of 1. Before playing The Last Remnant I read a bunch of horrible reviews.  I went into it with low expectations so I found it surprisingly enjoyable.  IMO, it didn't deserve all the bad reviews.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6616 on: December 31, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »

Oh boy lots to say... here goes

@ Aeolus, Mesh, Clueless and Klutz/  I genuinely thank you for your advice. I am resolved on Vesperia as far as the X Box titles are concerned.  You guys cinched that one for me!

I am however still torn on whether or not I should move onto Tales or muddle my way through XIII-2..... I feel like if I don't get through XIII-2 first, I'm going to feel as though I am making an ill decision that can distract me from Tales. Although I gotta say, playing XIII-2 will feel as though I'm getting it out of the way just to move on to Tales.

So with the aforementioned conflict, I guess the answer is blitz through XIII-2 to clear my mind of any doubt or distraction.

I'm sorry to be such a weirdo about this. XIII REALLY felt like the biggest "chore of a game" I played through this past gen. I didn't really particularly like any aspect of it aside from the character of lightning. In particular, the setting, cast, and generally "sci-fi" of it all was really a turn off for me. So I suppose my desire and curiosity to move onto XIII-2, strictly because I may want to play XIII-3 is sort of illogical in a sense.

In all honestly even though I am fan of lighting, love costume changes and am really excited to experience the gameplay of XIII-3, I have a real problem with constant changing of the attire during battles whilst switching between classes.

Taking all these "negatives" into account, with the ultimate fact that I always enjoy fantasy settings a great deal more than sci-fi, maybe I really should abandon the XIII franchise all together for Tales.

Ugh.... still torn.... at least I've narrowed it Tales vs. XIII-2 & XIII-3. That is some sort of progress I guess.

Moving on...

Suikoden 2 and Aeolus (a spoiler-free report and message)

First I must say upon completing Suikoden 2 I see it now as a most beautiful and broken masterpiece. Beautiful in its story telling. Amazingly intriguing atmosphere created by a marvelous plot and soundtrack with a cast that kept me emotionally evolved. These aspects form the foundation of a great game. Suikoden 2 has a STRONG foundation indeed.

Now to the broken.... The biggest problem I had with Suikoden 2 was the complete lack of challenge via gameplay. Not one single battle, be it boss, war or duel presented ANY challenge. I did not grind. Half the time I didn't even sharpen my weapons.... Yet the challenge of this game was solely tied to the grand (and game-long) puzzle of finding 108 stars, and NOT the combat.

To keep it brief, this game makes it into my top 10 ever for narrative alone. BUT, it would have made it higher on my list if the game required some sort of strategy (even if it were superficial to just keep me interested).

And finally... My gratitude to Aeolus.... a message to the bearer of the true rune of great gaming insight and advice.

Sir, I am happy to report that due to your fine advice and tips I completed with 108 stars and lovely save file to move into Suiko 3 when the time comes. I COULD NOT have done this without you (or at least not without tearing my hair out). Your select but key advice was crucial to me and the operation was a success. To these ends I honestly thank you.

I am shamed to report however that despite my efforts I did need to use a faq to get the best ending. I knew I screwed something up due to various hints you (aeolus) dropped to me in previous posts. And thank goodness I checked because I would have NEVER figured out exactly what need to be done to get the "best" ending (I tried, beat it 3 times last night before become exceedingly frustrated that my efforts continued yielding the erroneous ending).

And finally, I would like to say something about the ending itself. I wish more games would take a cue from Suikoden 2. Even the "bad endings" are conclusive without being longwinded. Very seldom do I EVER feel endings are suitable or conclusive and yet Suikoden 2 accomplished it not once but twice for me (both endings "work" IMO).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:59:09 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6617 on: December 31, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

Xenoblade!

Up to the "wham episode" at the Mechonis Core now
Code:
= How do Mechons make kids?  They obviously do... do they make one in a factory?  IS IT KINKY!??!  I also like their almost "everyday lives" despite their age.

= I'm kind of annoyed with the really 'boob-a-licious' Fiora.  She keeps saying the words "my body" in about 40 different ways while the camera pans up and down her new and voluptuous bust and body.  I've seen this garbage too much in those sort-of "soft core" anime titles...it's just kinda perverted and annoying to me.

= I also hate when games are too obvious about spoilers.  A shot of Dickson looking at Fiora saying "so THAT"s where you've been hiding" in parentheses makes it SO obvious that he's got more up his sleeve than just helping you.  But a lot of JRPGs like to pull these kinds of moments.  I think what would have been better (for example) is Dickson explicitly *just* staring at Fiora; we don't need the extra commentary.  I do like him, and it's a unique way to explain his rather "resourcefulness" and renown over the worlds.  

=  Given how Telethia are made from High Entia.... it's kinda sad that Melia was first seen hunting one. :(  *le sad*

= I've loved how the idea of good/evil characters get tossed around in this game.  Enemies to friends, friends to enemies, etc.

= Despite the somewhat depressing look of Mechonis, the grey-tones, the all-metal interiors, the bright reds and oranges... Mechonis is *still* great to look at.  

= I can't stop loving the graphics.  It's amazing what the Wii is capable of.  It's just the little things too:  When the Mechnonis became active again, I transported to the Bionis' knee and the game (being aware of this new plot point) shows the giant Mechonis moving!  
Or even just smaller things like changing the menu image to match the setting, or the stupid Gem Guy loading icon, or how the game remembers what ridiculous armor you wore during past cutscenes

= Seriously, if the Bionis and Mechonis became active and fought each other again as they did when you're at the Mechonis Core, the beings living on them should have been almost eradicated completely with those kinds of movements...  Ah well, it does mean we see some really awesome cutscenes.  I'd actually love to see how they did some of them.  I loved seeing the Mechonis hit Bionis' arm only to see some snow fall off (from Valek peak I assume).  

= Jiggle physics are fucking stupid.  I HATE when a SUBTLE movement even causes them to shake like a person just jumped on the spot.  I'd care less if they were even vaguely realistic looking.  Sharla, Vinea, I'm looking at you two as the worst offenders.

= I can't take Riki off my party.  I've never used him, but his skills are really helpful.
Otherwise, I love playing Melia the most.  The Buffs are awesome, her magic works well, and the fact she can inflict Topple on her own is a big plus

= I keep thinking of how BIG the Bionis and Mechonis is in relation to real-life.

= This game is almost perfect though...
  • Graphics?  Amazing (especially and even despite the hardware)
  • Battle system?  Pretty good!  It's deep enough and the characters are well balanced and different!  Also thank FUCK for how "boss loses" are handled.  No need to revisit cutscenes, just access your menu if you need and walk forward to simply re-initiate the boss battle.  FUCKING BRILLIAAANNNNTTTTT x(
  • Music?  Beautiful
  • Quests?  Many types and they're actually pretty interesting (the affinity tree connects things so much better than just taking quests from random villagers)
  • World Map?  GORGEOUS, filled with both high and low-level monsters, secrets, ruins, and a stark difference between "collectable" items (that serve several functions) and monster items

A big round of applause goes to the cutscenes as well.  They're beautifully done (especially the shots that combine the "macro" level shots between the full-views of the Bionis and Mechonis and the "micro-level" ones with the characters.  I turn up the volume during cutscenes *expecting* something great to happen.  It's well done, it's dramatic, it's action packed...etc.  There generally isn't a cutscene that's too long, pointless, or boring.

Monalith Soft just did a damn good job of making the "whole package" very impressive, and this game is definitely worth all the hub-bub it's got.  I can't wait for whatever Wii U's "X" is.  But like I said, after this and "X", I don't think I can handle more "epic-sized" RPGs like this.

...um, thanks for reading...if you did
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:07:27 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6618 on: December 31, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

Dice, how many hours have you spent on it so far? I enjoyed what I played of Xeno, but just can't stomach spending 100 hrs on a single game nowadays. Maybe if someone could take all of that positive stuff you listed and squeeze it into a 30-40 hr game, I'd be back in.

More Beyond. I feel like I'm moving through this game pretty quickly. I played through a LOT of chapters already. It can't be a whole lot longer. Still enjoying it.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6619 on: December 31, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

Dice, how many hours have you spent on it so far? I enjoyed what I played of Xeno, but just can't stomach spending 100 hrs on a single game nowadays. Maybe if someone could take all of that positive stuff you listed and squeeze it into a 30-40 hr game, I'd be back in.

Yeah...I'm over 100 hours, but I'm a slow player, and I'm doing a lot of quests.  Main game isn't *terribly* long, it's when you derail yourself with these quests and upgrades that you can spend a lot of time with the game.  From what I've heard though, a lot of the main game isn't the problem with respect to difficulty (I usually never lose to enemies or bosses because I do a large proportion of quests).

I didn't have the time to play this game until my Winter Holidays hit (or didn't really want to sit down with it over the course of so many small sessions).  So I know the predicament you're in.

I don't know what to say.  It's a damn fine game and if you enjoyed it, it really only gets better and better (I made a Top 10 games list topic early 2013, I think I'd update it to slap this game in there somewhere).  If you don't have the time though, that's a tough reason to fight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:10:07 PM by Dice » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6620 on: December 31, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »

Sooooo....SteamWorld Dig is quickly becoming my newest addiction. It's a metroidvania game I got on the 3DS eShop where you mine underground and collect various ore and gems, as well as weird orb things, which you trade in for upgrades, such as ones for your pickaxe so you can go deeper into the mine and get better ore for more upgrades. Or more pouch space so you can stay in the mine longer. You also find items in designated parts of the mine, which makes the game become more complex as you go. I'm really surprised by it. It's not the best Metroidvania out there (I prefer finding upgrades rather than buying them, but I guess that's the whole point of the game. Having very limited pouch space, while balancing the game a bit, is really only there to artificially lengthen the game), but it does remind me that Metroidvanias are my favorite genre. I've been playing it for about 5 hours now, and I don't think I'm even a third of the way through the game. That's pretty good for an eShop game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6621 on: December 31, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »

My son already beat Pokemon Y. It only took 20 hrs. That seems awful short. He loved it and immediately started a new game.
I'm bummed that the only way to do internet with the 3DS is through wifi. What about all of us people who don't have wifi? I don't get it. Is there a way to connect it to a computer? I recall doing that with my PSP.
My son got a Nintendo Eshop card for Christmas, and I now wonder if he won't be able to use it.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6622 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »

I am shamed to report however that despite my efforts I did need to use a faq to get the best ending. I knew I screwed something up due to various hints you (aeolus) dropped to me in previous posts. And thank goodness I checked because I would have NEVER figured out exactly what need to be done to get the "best" ending (I tried, beat it 3 times last night before become exceedingly frustrated that my efforts continued yielding the erroneous ending).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but collecting all 108 SoD isn't enough to secure the game's good end. To get it you also must perform a QTE at the end of Rockax Castle. The important thing to note is that it doesn't matter which choice you choose but that you make one in the short timeframe you have available.

Also also, there's also a third ending to Suki 2 that you can get before either of the other two. And if you want a challenge out of Suki 2, try finishing Clive's sidequest while getting the good end.

Xenoblade!

Up to the "wham episode" at the Mechonis Core now

Now when you mention the "wham episode", you mean the fallout from trashing Egil. Right?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6623 on: December 31, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

Mickey, is there any reason to get the 3DS STeamworld Dig over the PC version..?

wrt Xenoblade, I feel like I should get back to it but a couple of things started getting on my nerves:

- Putting Sharla in my party felt like an instant-lose option against bosses.
- Shulk was the only character I really enjoyed controlling.
- It's too easy to get overleveled.
- Battle system didn't really feel that deep to me -- a lot of spamming fairly limited sequences of skills repeatedly. I never encountered a need to vary my tactics much. Trying to do so tended to result in failure.
- From what I saw up through Alcamoth and to the snow region, I feel like the area designed peaked with, uh, the Bionis Leg?
- I think as Dice mentioned, getting friendliness between party members up is kind of a pain, especially since I didn't feel compelled to control anyone besides Shulk, and the boosts you got from doing quests are, apparently, based on the party leader.

I guess I started feeling like I was just going through the motion after awhile. I don't know.

Light Crusader - I'm surprisingly enjoying this a lot. Having a shadow makes jumping a LOT easier compared to Landstalker. Also the aesthetics really appeal to me.

Burnout Paradise - I got two of the wild cars and... completed some quantity of events? I still haven't won a race yet. also the cinematic cam when you get a takedown is disorienting.

Ecco - Up to level 3. Being able to save fixes every issue I may have had with the game's difficulty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:12:30 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6624 on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »

Mickey, is there any reason to get the 3DS STeamworld Dig over the PC version..?

It's a tad cheaper, especially right now with the sale, where it's $7.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6625 on: January 01, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »

Well I decided to check out Beyond Two Souls and ending up beating it in almost one sitting.  It was a good game and I liked it.  I just didn't care for the jumps in the timeline.  I'm not sure what David Cage was going for there.  Didn't care for Ryan.  (I struggle with forgiveness.)   I still like Heavy Rain better.  I think it appealed to the mystery lover in me more than Beyond did.  The controls are improved though.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6626 on: January 01, 2014, 04:35:27 AM »

My son already beat Pokemon Y. It only took 20 hrs. That seems awful short. He loved it and immediately started a new game.
I'm bummed that the only way to do internet with the 3DS is through wifi. What about all of us people who don't have wifi? I don't get it. Is there a way to connect it to a computer? I recall doing that with my PSP.
My son got a Nintendo Eshop card for Christmas, and I now wonder if he won't be able to use it.

I don't think the 3DS has a neat little cable for that like the PSP, but how about turning your PC into a WiFi router? You might need some extra hardware, but it won't be as expensive as a new router (wireless USB adapters are like $15). Plus, if you'd rather not have your son have access to the internet all the time (I know I wouldn't), you can easily kill the connection when he is done downloading his new games.

If that's not an option, most games in the eStore are fairly small and can easily be downloaded at some place with a free WiFi connection (library, maybe?).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:41:01 AM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6627 on: January 01, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »

Outrun 2006 - Need to remember I'm not good at things and I should probably quit playing games you have to be good at and go back to playing RPGs.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6628 on: January 01, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

wrt Xenoblade, I feel like I should get back to it but a couple of things started getting on my nerves:

- Putting Sharla in my party felt like an instant-lose option against bosses.
- Shulk was the only character I really enjoyed controlling.
- It's too easy to get overleveled.
- Battle system didn't really feel that deep to me -- a lot of spamming fairly limited sequences of skills repeatedly. I never encountered a need to vary my tactics much. Trying to do so tended to result in failure.
- From what I saw up through Alcamoth and to the snow region, I feel like the area designed peaked with, uh, the Bionis Leg?
- I think as Dice mentioned, getting friendliness between party members up is kind of a pain, especially since I didn't feel compelled to control anyone besides Shulk, and the boosts you got from doing quests are, apparently, based on the party leader.

Hm, gotta call out on a few of these.
- Sharla sucks early game, IMO.  She can heal, but not much, she's also slow and she's weak.  By end game quarter, she's basically healing more than enemies can dish... she's also quite "durable" too.  She's in my party for the super-enemy bosses sometimes, but if she's not being used, I loaded her up with gems that make you run on the field faster.

- Bleh.  Shulk is ok, but he's very, very average (whereas many RPG heroes are usually 'better-than-average').  I got *exhausted* of him by Makna Forest (then he got useful again on Mechonis...y'know because his blade is used to fight Mechon).  His lack of skills kinda takes the fun out of him. 
Melia is fun to play as because you get to screw around with stacking buffs and attaking; Dunban is fun because he can deal Bleed damage that adds up a lot, and Riki is good for support, multi-targetting, and raising stats... Oh, and Seven becomes a killer with the right set up to get their double-attack up.  I won't say the battle system in this game is AMAZE-BALLS, but it's better when you play with others and diversify.  One thing I did say in my giant post was that a lot of the characters play very differently, so it's fun to experiment.

- Yes and no to under-levelling.  Doing a few quests (some are simply worth absurd amounts of EXP) help.  Finding new locations and travelling the land also boosts EXP.  Every area has the super-bosses that are tough even at your own level but provide that challenge... In other words, if that wasn't there, people would complain about that then.  FOr the most part, I was usually 2 levels higher than most bosses and I didn't really go "quest crazy".

- I'd give some of the other locations credit.  Valak Mountain has them pretty crystals at night, Makna forest has all sorts of environmental elements, Eryth Sea has surprisingly a lot happening (if not on the islands, then on the surrounding coasts) and it /also/ looks pretty at night (but I think Satorl March takes the cake from looking like your typical grey-ass swamp in the day time, to some pretty fluorescent shit at night where trees get "magic leaves").

http://youtu.be/l86GCaqZuxY
A dummied out place in Xeno....  It looks like Bionis' leg, but it looks bigger and has a weird-ass looking village.  It's apparently  Bionis' left shoulder.  Complete, but inactive and inaccessible.  Still pretty.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:07:01 PM by Dice » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6629 on: January 01, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »

I mean I thought Shulk was fun to play as because he had attacks that required you to be on the side of or behind the enemy for them to work, so you had to move around in combat. Dunban's useful but his skills all need to be used in sequence so playing as him felt like... just waiting for stuff to charge up, amd spamming whatever three attack you need to do in a row while standing in place.

Anyway. Got Valdis Story from Steam. Seems fun, but the controls and physics feel off/non-responsive to me. Guess I'll try remapping them. Also the writing does... not seem good, which could be a problem because I feel like there's going to be a lot of it.

Outrun 2006 - DRIFTING ISN'T REALLY THAT HARD IF I DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO I MEAN HOW COULD I GO FROM HAVING A HARD TIME DRIFTING AT ALL TO JUST WINNING THAT DRIFTING RACE SUDDENLY IDK MAN !!!! DOIN' ALL THE BEACH LEVEL SIDEWAYS LIKE A PROOOOOO.

Also I swear I saw a picture of an underwater level in this and I can't find it now*.

Kokuga - I like this. The Radiant influence is /very/ apparent. It's an interesting counterpoint to Velocity Ultra -- they both have the issue of all of the levels LOOKING very similar, but in Kokuga, they actually play differently.

* Okay that's a bonus stage for Outrun2 on the XBox.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:55:23 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: