Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327289 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 385022 times)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6645 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »

That Weird Fingerbang Simulator By The Company That Made That Weird Deer MMO - Yes.

What?! Normally I goggle things I haven't heard of.  This time I am too scared.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6646 on: January 03, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »

Also, Ephemeral Phantasia is very entertaining...why hadn't I given this game a chance before?

My wonky PS2 launch RPG of choice is Eternal Ring :T

Speaking of which.

Dark Souls - Got uncursed. Also I think the new version of dsfix improves my framerate? If I set the target FPS to 60 I definitely drop through floors and stuff. Ghosts are still bullshit but at least I can upgrade my anti-ghost sword.

Race the Sun - I think I like this. I have reservations about liking it -- it does feel sort of cheap (as in cheaply made) in some ways -- but it really DOES feel like Noctis meets Outrun which is what I wanted?

That Weird Fingerbang Simulator By The Company That Made That Weird Deer MMO - Yes.

Kokuga - Able to beat level A. I think I might briefly play with the hard modes to see what happens.

Mesh, I've never told ya but I greatly admire your ability to juggle games buddy. Every day I come to this journal and am impressed with your list of updates.

Compliments aside, I know exactly how you feel about Race to the Sun (even though I'm not familiar with it). Your words describe PERFECTLY how I feel about FFXIII-2. Its just so clearly flash and pretty pictures over substance and meaning... and as an artist I can appreciate the beauty of it... but it is just way more "slick" stylistically than what I am used to. The result is the fact that I am literally unsure if I like it (yet) or can become comfortable with it.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6647 on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »

More to come later when I've fully cleared Hate Plus, but the best thing about the whole game is the credit song for the harem path.
http://isaacschankler.bandcamp.com/track/its-not-ero-feat-senah-kim
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6648 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »

Mesh, I've never told ya but I greatly admire your ability to juggle games buddy.

Most of these things are quite short, also I tend to like timebox my RPG playing -- I'll really only focus on one at a time, but switch every week or so.

Also I binge purchased a lot of stuff from various holiday sales and just made a point of playing most of these things for about 30 minutes each, just to make sure they work (Valdis Story, any of the console games I got, though I still need to make sure JSRF and some other things are okay, WUPZ). I'm not /really/ juggling that much :v

wrt Race to the Sun, I want to say it's still being actively developed. So even though it's out of beta and everything, I expect more features are being added -- and I know this is true for at least one thing which is dependent on pending Steam Workshop integration -- which I think is part of why it feels sort of hollow right now. I also feel like there's more potential to the world editor than is shown by the built-in levels, so I expect stuff to get really neat once all the player-made content integration is working.

@CluelessWonder:

Luxuria Superbia. It's... pretty much what I descrobe, only it's kind of like a Super Scaler Sega arcade game and sometimes the 'tunnel' you're flying through grows trees and magnifying glasses when it's happy.

So erotic Space Harrier with a gardening motif.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:44:17 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6649 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »

So I finished what little was left of Hate Plus this morning.

First of all: Analogue > Hate

The game is about as interesting as its predecessor (read about other people's lives in emails).
My biggest problem is that Analogue had a really strong impact with both stories while Hate Plus is about a more distant story in which none of the characters are directly involved. That distance just makes the experience more mellow as anything you gain from it serves very little purpose.
The story itself as pointed above is a lot less dramatic and much more of a political story.

Also, there's a weird unattainable achievement. People went through the game's code and it is impossible to unlock.
Semi spoilers:
Code:
Seems to be a reference to how you can't revive Aeris in FF7 but about a Hate Plus character who shares a similar fate.
A team of people hacked the game and made a mod to make the situation of the achievement possible though (which I can understand because it's a real bummer that you can't do anything about 'it' in the game)

EDIT: It's still a descent game and fully recommended to anyone who liked the first.

EDIT2: Also, the harem path is by far the most interesting. Don't overlook it because it's called 'harem'. It's the most impactful and interesting path due to the very serious situation within it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:43:46 PM by Annubis » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6650 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

Just finished Kirby's Return to Dreamland. I think that brings my Wii backlog to only 6 more games (but one of those is a Harvest Moon, so that's going to be slow going) Think I'll do the two Gamecube games that I'm including in that number first.

Double post edit:

I HAVE BEEN WASTING SO MUCH TIME ER MAH GERD

I just started playing around with the challenge multipliers in Project Diva F. WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN USING THESE!? I could be rolling in Diva Points at this point but noooooo~ "not up to the challenge" I said. Seriously was overthinking how difficult the challenges would make things not even putting two and two together that I already do the challenges just fine without buying them.

Only one I'm not too happy with is the Stealth one. Too much of a challenge for a x2 multiplier, though it would be nice if challenges could be combined.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:47:20 PM by Klutz64 » Logged

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6651 on: January 04, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »

I just found out about this Valdis Story game, which looks fantastic, but I missed the Steam sale by a day! Auugh! I really don't want to blow $15 on it. Guess I'll check back later when I'm done playing through what I've got.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6652 on: January 04, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »

Project Diva F. WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN USING THESE!? I could be rolling in Diva Points at this point but noooooo~ "not up to the challenge" I said.

Stop acting like such....a DIVA.

With respect to beating Kirby, congrats!  I hated that last form for the final boss; and I also applaud the Kirby team for thinking up such horrifying designs for their final bosses (especially for a game that is otherwise rainbows and stars and pretty colours).  I also found most of the other bosses easily killed by Jump or Tornado abilities.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6653 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:05 AM »

Dark Souls - Got to the bonfire in the depths. Fuck slimes. Fuck them a lot. Fuck the butcher. Fuck FROGS. Why can't I just go play something nice and upbeat like Shadow Tower.

Contra 4 - I REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE SAID HARD CORPS WAS HARD. WELP.

Outrun 2006 - Got some unlockable car, which should be beneficial cause it has a higher max speed, except I just end up fishtailing it a bunch. Need to get better at steering out of drifts. I am getting better at changing diretions mid drift, for taking, uh, those things where the road be all like S.

Quake - Beat Episode 1, got up to level 2 of Episode 2, started messing around with some texture packs... I don't think I likethem that much and they KILL my framerate. Just gonna stick to base darkmod and the uh, alternate lighting thing I downloaded that makes things faster and sometimes blue.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6654 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

With respect to beating Kirby, congrats!  I hated that last form for the final boss; and I also applaud the Kirby team for thinking up such horrifying designs for their final bosses (especially for a game that is otherwise rainbows and stars and pretty colours).  I also found most of the other bosses easily killed by Jump or Tornado abilities.

I usually just kick them in the head repeatedly with the Fighter Kirby mid-air down ability.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6655 on: January 04, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »

I never had any problem beating any Kirby games...

mostly because I always played them 2p with my friend who's a god at them.

Fun times
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6656 on: January 04, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

After finishing Tales of Vesperia my friend and I needed a new game to play for when he visits. Our original plan was Tales of Xillia, but we ended up with Final Fantasy XIII. This one doesn't have a new game+ or something like that, so unlike the game before this one, we'll have to play it properly.

Our original goal was to just make fun of it, but this first session (we got all the way to the crystal lake) was a blast. It was the first time he played Final Fantasy XIII and he actually dislikes the series and this type of RPG in general, but he had a ton of praise for the battle system, soundtrack and cinematics. Of course we still made fun of it (ever noticed that on the cover, Lighting is one shadow away from a gigantic pantyshot?), but at this rate we may make it to the end actually enjoying and appreciating the game for what it is.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6657 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »

After finishing Tales of Vesperia my friend and I needed a new game to play for when he visits. Our original plan was Tales of Xillia, but we ended up with Final Fantasy XIII. This one doesn't have a new game+ or something like that, so unlike the game before this one, we'll have to play it properly.

Our original goal was to just make fun of it, but this first session (we got all the way to the crystal lake) was a blast. It was the first time he played Final Fantasy XIII and he actually dislikes the series and this type of RPG in general, but he had a ton of praise for the battle system, soundtrack and cinematics. Of course we still made fun of it (ever noticed that on the cover, Lighting is one shadow away from a gigantic pantyshot?), but at this rate we may make it to the end actually enjoying and appreciating the game for what it is.

I loved XIII when I started it. By the end I hated it because I simply played it wrong. I evolved my characters so poorly fights lasted like 30-40 minutes by the end of the game. Aside from that I never really "got it" because I didn't read the datalog.

Now that I do get it, I fell really compelled to see the trilogy through which is why I totally want to get into/through XIII-2 in prep for 3 next month.

Oddly enough Vesperia has now been decided upon as my weekend game to help employ a strategy to keep FF fresh and not completely hurt my head with it.

On that note, I finally gave it a real shot and have confirmed my suspicions.... this is in fact a tales game and thus I will love it!! LoL

But what surprised me was how immediately drawn in to the title I was based on Yuri alone.

As dumb as this sounds, a physical resemblance to a character really helps immersion for me. Likewise, a personality similarity is an even greater help. Yuri has this in spades for me. I currently have long dark hair, and always wear dark clothes to evade ink and art "mess" being visible on my attire. As dumb and shallow as this all sounds it really is a major appeal for me.

At the very beginning in the inn an NPC mistakes Yuri for a girl. I got such a kick out of this, as the same exact thing happened earlier this week to me when I went to buy gloves at a medical supply place for work. LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6658 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »

As dumb as this sounds, a physical resemblance to a character really helps immersion for me.

I don't think that's dumb. I usually go for the characters with a similar personality. Which usually ends badly, because the aimless overachievers are rarely something to be proud of. In the case of recent Tales games, I often ended up controling the traitor... Which is fine by me, because they usually have a (partly) ranged fighting style and I'm an archer myself (or used to be anyway, haven't picked up a bow in years...), so... Yay, similarities!

And now that I think about it, a physical resemblance was the reason we almost didn't play Tales of Vesperia together. Yuri is like a carbon copy of an old mutual friend, both in looks and personality. Hell, even his name is a pretty close match. Things went sour ten years ago (mostly my fault) and my friend didn't really want to be reminded of that while playing a videogame (he's the type who holds grudges). Everything worked out fine though, partly thanks to a pink haired girl.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6659 on: January 04, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »

As dumb as this sounds, a physical resemblance to a character really helps immersion for me.

Did anyone else used to watch videos in like preschool/kindergarten and associate yourself with characters in the show? Like I distinctly remember being at this, uh, daycare in the basement of a church and we were watching power rangers and everyone was sitting on the floor, calling out which character they were. And the caretaker person got annoyed and was all like, "No, you're /yourself/, not some show character."

Anyway.

Xenoblade - I DUN KILL MOUNTAIN STUFF.

RefleX - I DUN SUCK AT THIS.

Alltynex Second - The recharge mechanic is basically the same as in Radiant Silvergun but I suck at this too.

... Also is it bad if I can't really tell much of a difference between 30 and 60 FPS?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: