Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334670 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 425590 times)
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6840 on: January 18, 2014, 09:05:35 PM »

I absolutely love the Xenosaga trilogy, I dont think the narrative is that loose(at all in fact). If you play them all back to back, it's a pretty solid and consistent story(some gaps are filled in the database inside the games but blame Namco from interfering in their original plan.).

Well, yeah. I just meant as in how it compares to other JRPGs. Sure Xenosaga makes sense (eventually), unlike something like um... Resonance of Fate. It's not either good or bad, but on a personal level it does require a fair amount of investment, which when playing a game might turn into one of those "not fun" parts of the experience. In other words, I wasn't feeling like I was enjoying the games when I was spending time reading in game datalogs instead of doing more traditional RPG things with that time.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6841 on: January 18, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

I was going to use Enchant instead of the anti-mechon stuff except Shulk doesn't like using it when he's on AI. Anyway, did stuff in Ft. Galahad. Everyone's around level 49.

--- edit ---

Anyway, I need to get a new memory card so I can dump whatever, uh, booter thingy on it I need to play Shadow Tower Abyss. Except it's cold out so maybe I'll just lie here on the floor.

The good news is that you should be getting Seven soon which means that you'll have a walking blender who is always set to anti-mechon, the better news is that you'll be coming across a new town shortly thereafter with shops that carry new weapons and mid-tier art manuals, the best news is that the next town is really fucking small compared to even Colony 9 (even if it is a pain in the ass to get around in) so you don't have to worry about spending months running 1000 sidequests and such.

And yeah, I get the need for additional PSX memory cards. SaGa Frontier 1 practically demands its own card for each of its quest lines, which has been my biggest hold up in terms of playing that.

For whoever is playing Xenogears, stick with it. It's completely worth it for the story. I personally loved the gameplay but Ive been hearing some people say it sucks lately, so I guess in that aspect it's a love it or hate it thing.

Starting FF XIII soon now that I got myself a ps3, I HAVE TO SEE IT WITH MY OWN EYES. I have my expectations in check. And for whoever says that having important lore on databases is bad storytelling,  I completely disagree. It would be awkward to have some of that information being told to your character even though the character is part of that world and should be familiar with it's rules. It cuts on the so called poor storytelling through over exposition(which again doesnt really hinder my enjoyment of the story but I do appreciate good executions narrative wise aswell).

The thing about Xenogears is that a lot of the game's humor comes from observations like how much of a dick would it take to become a tiny village's doctor only to set up shop on top of a mountain with wild animals patrolling the pass thus prefacing any medical emergency that the village may encounter with a treacherous climb, or the fact that not more than 15 minutes into the game you've gotten into a fist fight with a dinosaur followed by a fist fight with a dinosaur while riding in a giant robot. But yeah, crazy is this game's middle name. It just takes a while to get there.

As for FFXIII's story telling issues. The problem isn't in the fact that they couldn't shoehorn the world building information from the database into the game, but that the developers REALLY want you to care about their game's setting and characters despite said game having the depth of an NES era side-scrolling brawler. And for the complaint with the gameplay, it really isn't that so much that it is or isn't difficult as it is that there are almost no real options for players to choose. You can't level grind, you for the most part have three different roles to raise, all three of which you should be using to begin with, fights either taking forever or having your shit getting pushed in if you don't use the correct option during a given fight, and you can't even choose your party composition or leader until the end of the area one stage before the training montage that is Planet Namek.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6842 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »

I will see it for myself but I can almost never relate to those hyperbolic opinions. People saying FF X is a terrible game, people saying Xenosaga 2 is a terrible game because fuck you that's why.. Just ugh no... (or jumping on tired recycled bullshit internet bandwagon opinions, I mean not well constructed opinions)
And  like I can understand some of the criticisms that people give certain games but they always blow shit out of proportion(atleast when I get to see it for myself and think the complete opposite many times), I rarely see actual well argumented and analytical criticism.(Not saying it is the case with you Aeolus just speaking in general in terms of the gaming community and if that was your experience with the game then that's fine. I would have liked to see the justification of why you didnt care for the world/characters instead of just stating it. (Unless you have to get into spoilers)).
Im hoping the same will apply to FF XIII, I am really hoping I will enjoy the characters and story.

In conclusion, I find myself having very different perspectives about games and I dont really care for the unfiltered dumb hate you see on the internet these days. I just wish people would debate instead of argue and embrace the  subjectivity that comes with the medium, respect each other and all that... A man can dream.(This has nothing to do with your response now.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:38:02 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6843 on: January 19, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

Doom 2 - Beat whatever level I was on after getting stuck because I forgot I could open a wall. Current level is a more openish arena thing that's immediately reminiscent of serious sam.

Ikaruga - Level 2 is hard. I can get past the block but not the part with the different color wave bullet circles which is weird because those are slow moving.

In the Hunt - Played the first three levels of this before deciding to maybe not credit fee through it.

Dark Souls - Gave up on getting Gapedragon's tail.

@ Whoever posted last:

I liked FFX a lot. I thought the story -- and I think that's what a lot of people go after -- was prone to being a lot goofier than it should've been.

But the actual game? Thought it was fun as hell, and that's what matters.

Also I drew this because I have emotional issues:

(IN MY MIND, SHULK IS ACTUALLY COBRA).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6844 on: January 19, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »

I liked FFX a lot. I thought the story -- and I think that's what a lot of people go after -- was prone to being a lot goofier than it should've been.

But the actual game? Thought it was fun as hell, and that's what matters.

Also I drew this because I have emotional issues:

(IN MY MIND, SHULK IS ACTUALLY COBRA).

A good FFX review and an awesome piece of art all in one post x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6845 on: January 19, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »

I will see it for myself but I can almost never relate to those hyperbolic opinions. People saying FF X is a terrible game, people saying Xenosaga 2 is a terrible game because fuck you that's why.. Just ugh no... (or jumping on tired recycled bullshit internet bandwagon opinions, I mean not well constructed opinions)

Xenosaga 2 is by no means a terrible game. The first disc is actually quite good.

The second disc is kind of tedious though. That's where it gets bogged down.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6846 on: January 19, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »

Finished Guided Fate Paradox. Ending was crap. I really don't know what they could have done which wouldn't have made me say that, but it was just uninspired and boring. Kind of sad as I had enjoyed the majority of the rest of the game.
Xenosaga 2 is horrible though. :p Well to be more precise, the battle system is horrible. The story is enjoyable as it has a pace increase from 1 which was a little slower than it ideally could have been. The battle system though was a miserable experience from what I can recall. I hated it while I was playing it, and I have no desire to ever replay it.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6847 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »

Rayman Origins can go fuck a duck.  The bonus areas are WAY TOO DAMN HARD.  There is no way in holy hell I'll ever unlock the hidden area, which is probably even harder than those aforementioned bonus stages.  I... I think I need to work out some anger issues.  Maybe play something warm/fuzzy/easy like Kirby.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6848 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »

Finished Guided Fate Paradox. Ending was crap. I really don't know what they could have done which wouldn't have made me say that, but it was just uninspired and boring. Kind of sad as I had enjoyed the majority of the rest of the game.
Xenosaga 2 is horrible though. :p Well to be more precise, the battle system is horrible. The story is enjoyable as it has a pace increase from 1 which was a little slower than it ideally could have been. The battle system though was a miserable experience from what I can recall. I hated it while I was playing it, and I have no desire to ever replay it.

I absolutely loved it even though battles dragged on for far too long near the end of the game. It was really easy to figure out the enemy break points through experimentation in the first few turns and then stock up and deliver killer chain attacks. I thought it was really fast paced and tactical but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Something I never understood was how some people complain about the difficulty and/or complexity of the junctioning system of FF8, that game is a joke and very easy if you know what you are doing, "Ugh I cant understand the junctioning system bla bla, they dont explain it(lies, maybe if you didnt skip the text on the initial tutorial)" and all I think is stfu I was 10 years old and didnt even know english and was able to figure it out through experimentation and logical deduction.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6849 on: January 19, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

Doesn't make the Magic system in FF8 any less terrible. "Here, have the best magic in the game... DON'T USE IT THOUGH, you'll need it for your stats!"
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6850 on: January 19, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »

Doesn't make the Magic system in FF8 any less terrible. "Here, have the best magic in the game... DON'T USE IT THOUGH, you'll need it for your stats!"

Yeah that's a perfectly valid complaint on the surface only, atleast for me, it's certainly unconventional but I think that was their intention, the GF's are supposed to be a substitute to the magic. And the magic isnt really all that powerful, the key is in exploiting the limit breaks and for example for spells like Aura, it's worth it to use instead of equipping. I like to think of it as a sort of Save/Sacrifice system where you have to carefully use your resources(well not really since the game is pathetically easy but whatever). And there are items that do things magic was supposed to do.. And since you can draw like 4-7 magic spells at a time, it's not really that unforgiving if you choose to use the magic. Not to mention you can actually draw cast the magic itself without wasting a single charge.. The system was designed around that handicap I feel.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:38:20 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6851 on: January 19, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »

Something I never understood was how some people complain about the difficulty and/or complexity of the junctioning system of FF8, that game is a joke and very easy if you know what you are doing,

Even if you don't know what you're doing, auto-junction + GF spamming + limit break spamming is adequate for almost the entire game. Also when I was like 13 and playing the game for the first time and rellying solely on GF spamming I didn't even know you could *boost* summons by doing that red light/green light button mashing thing. And that got me through every fight exceeeept the Fujin/Raijin fight where you need to use ground, Adel fused with Quinoa, and Ultimecia.

I like to think of it as a sort of Save/Sacrifice system where you have to carefully use your resources(well not really since the game is pathetically easy but whatever).

That could've been extremely cool if it had worked out like that :(

Rayman Origins can go fuck a duck.  The bonus areas are WAY TOO DAMN HARD.  There is no way in holy hell I'll ever unlock the hidden area, which is probably even harder than those aforementioned bonus stages.  I... I think I need to work out some anger issues.  Maybe play something warm/fuzzy/easy like Kirby.

Monsoon, how far are you in the game? Do you have all of the powerups? Some of the bonus stages you're supposed to go back to later after you get a new ability.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6852 on: January 19, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »

This is what I like about debating,  certain aspects of a game can be seen as flaws but maybe if you approach it in a different perspective it might actually bring to light some positive aspects that are subtle consequences on what is apparently a flaw.
Not to mention that what might be a flaw to some might be a positive aspect to others.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:30:19 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6853 on: January 19, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »

Monsoon, how far are you in the game? Do you have all of the powerups? Some of the bonus stages you're supposed to go back to later after you get a new ability.
I beat the main story, but I'm playing a few of the treasure chest stages and doing some Lums / Eletoons cleanup.  I'm at around 180-190 Eletoons and four teeth.  When I said "bonus stages" I was talking about the treasures.  Those are murder. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6854 on: January 19, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »

I never made it past disc 3 of FF8. It got way too hard, and I was playing it all wrong. I suck.

I'm at the end of my second playthrough of 999, and it just keeps going! I figured it would just end quickly, but last night I went through an hour of text, and I had to save and stop. WTF? I was told the TRUE ending was long, but I wasn't expecting the safe ending to be long as well. Axe was rather quick. I'll knock it out later. Hopefully.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: