Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 09:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337937 Posts in 13835 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 441367 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6930 on: January 29, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »

3 hours into FF XIII, Im enjoying it so far.
The world seems very interesting, been enjoying the datalog as the story unfolds. The battle system is typical Final Fantasy fare so far, select attacks from a menu and attack. I just wish it dropped the training wheels already and started giving me more options. I selected Abilities as default and Im currently fully ignoring auto battle.
The linearity is certainly there but it doesnt bother me at all, it's not as aggravating as people make it out to be. If anything it's like FF X in that regard.

Yeah when people complained about how linear it XIII was, the first thing that came to mind was, what about X ?? Anyways, the training wheels won't come off until...well, a ways into the game, but I had the most fun with XIII's battle system, perhaps only next to Graces f in recent memory.

Yeah, I'd argue that besides a few bosses and special enemies, it takes a while before the game picks up.  Which kinda bugs me, it's like the dev's thought the battle system was complicated or something.

It's not DanganRonpa, that's Starmongoose's territory.

I'm gonna be silly and OT for a second.  But when I worked at EBGames, I admired the few customers who rolled their "R"s for Japanese titles... and the other bunch who completely dropped the "R"-sound when pronouncing "Atelier".

Ocarina of Time
Beat the Fire Temple.  I loved helping Gorons, what an awesome race of friendly rock-people.  I feel like this dungeon often gets forgotten, but it's pretty cool.
Bah, now the Ice mini-dungeon.  I get super sad that Zora's fountain never really gets fixed and Jabu Jabu gets missing/eaten.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6931 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

6 hours in FF XIII
Finally I have been given more options, the paradigms finally came into play and they also introduced the crystarium system which is completely pointless, you might aswell just have traditional leveling up and call it a day. With that said, I will interpret it as an overglorified traditional leveling up system with a few options because of the different paradigms you can evolve, I dont see it as a negative.

The battle system is fast paced and I love that, it's basically a streamlined turn based combat system that requires constant micromanaging during the battle. It's not strategic in the traditional sense but you do need to pay attention to what's happening in the battles. It's different but familiar at the same time, I enjoy it. It's certainly very engaging, if you are one of those idiots who complains about the Auto Battle feature, guess what genius IT'S OPTIONAL.

One thing im finding weird is that in the datalog they are constantly repeating stuff, it's like they are afraid the player won't get the story. I don't understand how people were confused with the terms Fal'cie L'cie and Cieth, they made it pretty clear what each one was.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:33:48 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6932 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »

6 hours in FF XIII
Finally I have been given more options, the paradigms finally came into play and they also introduced the crystarium system which is completely pointless, you might aswell just have traditional leveling up and call it a day. With that said, I will interpret it as an overglorified traditional leveling up system with a few options because of the different paradigms you can evolve, I dont see it as a negative.

The battle system is fast paced and I love that, it's basically a streamlined turn based combat system that requires constant micromanaging during the battle. It's not strategic in the traditional sense but you do need to pay attention to what's happening in the battles. It's different but familiar at the same time, I enjoy it.

One thing im finding weird is that in the datalog they are constantly repeating stuff, it's like they are afraid the player won't get the story. I don't understand how people were confused with the terms Fal'cie L'cie and Cieth, they made it pretty clear what each one was.

Yeah I think games like Mass Effect kind of need a datalog to remind people of past events and whatnot because all of their races are from scratch. In Final Fantasy XIII, they just repeat what you just witnessed. It is entirely pointless in that regard...BUT it is very useful if you take long breaks in between your playtime and need a refresher and since that storyline is all kinds of wacky I understand why they did it.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6933 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »

Oh, I wanted to trust me - but I'm not reviewing Danganronpa. That plan fell through. I'm just a big Monokuma/Monobear fan now.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6934 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

6 hours in FF XIII

The Crystarium does eventually have little branches that allow you to decide how to level your character, but it's more like "Do I want this ability now, or in six more levels?" Plus it's really pretty, so there's that.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6935 on: January 29, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

I also forgot to mention.. I am completely in disbelief that Shiva is now a motorcycle. I will roll with it.. for now. It's actually pretty funny I dont mind it.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6936 on: January 29, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »

I'm gonna be silly and OT for a second.  But when I worked at EBGames, I admired the few customers who rolled their "R"s for Japanese titles... and the other bunch who completely dropped the "R"-sound when pronouncing "Atelier".

Going to be honest, I still don't have the slightest idea how to properly pronounce "Atelier".  I mean, it's a French word...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6937 on: January 29, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »

At-eel-ee-ay? That's how I say it. I may be horribly wrong.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6938 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »

I also forgot to mention.. I am completely in disbelief that Shiva is now a motorcycle. I will roll with it.. for now. It's actually pretty funny I dont mind it.

Eugh.  I feel like it fits the ideas of some male sex fantasy.  
Motorcycle?  Check.
Two women on each other?  Check.
Hot?  Check.
Testosterone-driven Male putting his junk on their seat?  Bingo.

It's not bad, and a nice switch, I guess, from the usual Shiva formula.... but it's just kinda groan worthy. x)

Going to be honest, I still don't have the slightest idea how to properly pronounce "Atelier".  I mean, it's a French word...

Yeah it's French, half that language is made up almost of silent letters (jk). :P
Mongoosey was basically right.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6939 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »

I am not turned on by motorcycles nor by thinking about testosterone-driven  Male putting his junk on their seat xD.. If anything it's quite silly. The traditional Shiva is much more appealing sexually(even if barely) than this parody(Im not implying im sexually attracted to Shiva, that's ridiculous.).

Edit: I regret having gone this rabbit hole but now it's too late to turn back..Why did I do this again.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:11:26 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6940 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

It's the biggest gay dream to place ones crotch on a pair of incestuous transforming ice deities.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6941 on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »

It's the biggest gay dream to place ones crotch on a pair of incestuous transforming ice deities.

When you put it that way..It's quite silly I even said that in retrospect but I was looking at it from another angle.
It might be that demon princess person biggest dream though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:35:33 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6942 on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »

When you put it that way..It's quite silly I asked but I was looking at it from another angle.
It might be that demon princess person biggest dream though.

Nah, Kay would probably have preferred Serah or Vanille added to the mix rather than Snow.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6943 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:13 PM »

Good news bad news...got lost in Heracles (in Tales of Vesperia) finally found the boss battle and after two hours of random battles and leveling up I totally freaking destroyed his ass lol

Everything's Eventual
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6944 on: January 29, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »

The second to last area* in Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded is brutal. There are enemies called Danger Bugs, and where all types of "Bug" enemies are walking versions of the blocks in the game the Danger Bugs are walking versions of these yellow blocks that hurt you and knock you back every time you touch them. So it is almost impossible to kill them without using abilities, which takes time. What's worse is like every other enemy in this particular area, they don't stop respawning. Absolute torture.

* - I'm only assuming this based on the story's completion percentage in the journal and the context of the story itself.
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: