Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 09:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337990 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 441858 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7050 on: February 15, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »

Started some new toons in GW2 (mesmer) and Path of Exile (ranger) and enjoying immensely. Plus I just received aTitanfall beta code in my inbox. Check that out tonight.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7051 on: February 15, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
HR3 and 7 star village quests. Currently upgrading equipment as enemies are hitting a lot harder now.

Dead Space
Really liking it so far. I am horrible at conserving ammo but it seems to be plentiful so far.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7052 on: February 15, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »

The Driver - Bought a copy for like 2 dollars and the disc looks fine but I'm checking it with my CD burner and it's getting a disc read error at sector 271469 and I'm not sure why because the readable side of the disc isn't that scratched and the label side is like fine.

The files it's complaining about are all in the NFMV and XA folders. So, just music files and FMVs. Meaning if there really is anything wrong with them I'll be able to tell pretty quickly. CDCheck was throwing errors that make me think it MIGHT just be the files in question being stored in a format that's not really readable by PC CD drives.

Oh welp, let's see if the PS2 freaks out at it. It probably will because my PS2 hates CDs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7053 on: February 15, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »

OK, right around chapter 3 (out of 5, I think) Dust: An Elysian Tail got really good.  Stages get bigger, more interesting, less obviously linear.  Get a slide in chapter 2, wall jump in chapter 3, and double jump in chapter 4.  Those three abilities open up the other stages in a major way, and the game starts feeling like a proper metro-vania-action-platforming-adventure.  Very good times.  Gonna try and finish it later tonight. 

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7054 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:32 PM »

Okay, I finished Ryusei route in SRW OG. Pretty cool stuff overall. I decided to upgrade and use the SRX just for the theme song, although it wasn't really worth sacrificing three units for. But hey, sometimes you got to go for what is cool. Hopefully I can beat Kyosuke too before I get my hands on Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, which I just pre-ordered today. I'm somewhat stoked to play it for whatever reason, although I've only ever played on Tales game (phantasia SNES). Not expecting a masterpiece, but just a fun RPG with lots of stuff to do. I have greatly enjoyed all Star Ocean games I've played, so I hope it gives at least a somewhat similar experience in terms of fun factor.

I also got invited to play Diablo III after god knows how long time I last played it. Played with a barbarian in co-op all the way up to beating it on Inferno and now I'm trying to finish a solo run with my Wizard for a story run (don't judge me, I'm just not satisfied if I don't play it properly at least once). It's not going to take long as I have pretty good dps for a normal solo run and I don't really need to do anymore exploration after going through the campaign like 5 times. Actually I think I'll be able to finish it tomorrow in just a few hours. After that I guess I'll just let it rot as I have no interest in the neverending quest for ultimate gear.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7055 on: February 15, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »

OK, right around chapter 3 (out of 5, I think) Dust: An Elysian Tail got really good.  Stages get bigger, more interesting, less obviously linear.  Get a slide in chapter 2, wall jump in chapter 3, and double jump in chapter 4.  Those three abilities open up the other stages in a major way, and the game starts feeling like a proper metro-vania-action-platforming-adventure.  Very good times.  Gonna try and finish it later tonight.  

I think Dust is supposed to be more of a beat-em-up than a Metroidvania really. Also apparently 100% completion is not actually max completion in the game, sooooo.

Anyway The Driver works fine in my PS2. If anyone has a copy of the original, would you mind running http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/ against it and see what it says?

--- edit ---

Also got Metal Slug Collection for Wii. Emulation seems fine -- I'm not seeing any input lag -- but it does seem kind of slow. Then again looking at videos on Youtube, maybe Metal Slug was just slower than I remember.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:27:46 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7056 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »

So I picked up Sega's Utakimi 575 in Japan.  Didn't have a ton of time to play it there but I've been messing around with it a bit since I got back so here are some early impressions.

Comparisons to Project Diva are pretty much inevitable considering that they're both rhythm games using Vocaloids and they're both made by Sega.  Of course with Utakimi Sega decided to make their own Vocaloids for the two main characters rather than tapping into the existing community.  Ultimately I think that's the game's biggest downfall.  With Project Diva they had a huge number of existing popular songs to pick and choose from while all of Utakimi's songs were written specifically for the game.  There's much less variety, though I feel that's largely intentional.  They had a particular image for these characters in mind.  But more than that I just don't feel like the songs are nearly as good.  Even though they did commission works from a number of popular Vocaloid producers you just don't feel the same enthusiasm from them...

Now unlike Project Diva there is a bit of a story to go along with the songs.  Nothing earth shattering here but they're trying to push specific personalities for the characters.  It's an interesting but kind of inevitable approach to differentiate them from Miku and co. who are pretty much blank slates for producers.  The game also introduce some interesting mechanics with the whole song building thing where the name comes from.  See, instead of just pushing buttons in time with the song (or tapping the screen in this case, it's all touch based) there are parts where you're giving a blank space and you have to select the words to fill it.  In the beginning you only have two choices and it's just a question of putting them in the right order but in some of the later songs you're given several choices, some of which you won't use at all.  You don't have a lot of time to make these selections and it's definitely going to make the game less accessible for somebody who doesn't know Japanese.  But the neat thing is that even if you select the 'wrong' words so long as they fit into the appropriate space they'll still actually sing them.

Which brings up an interesting technology point, because I believe the game is actually running the Vocaloid engine in real time, rather than using pre-recorded songs that were originally constructed using the Vocaloid engine like the Project Diva games do.  This does let you do interesting dynamic things with the character voices, but there's a pretty big drawback to it.  See, many popular Vocaloid songs may start with the Vocaloid engine but they also get a lot of tweaking, fine-tuning, and effects in other programs.  Unfortunately the technology just isn't there yet to make something like Mitchie M's songs directly in Vocaloid (though Vocaloid 3 has gotten better about it at least...).  Since everything in Utakimi is straight out of the Vocaloid engine's output (even the non-dynamic parts for consistency) it has a pretty noticeable, much 'rawer' sound to it than what you might be used to in many popular Vocaloid songs on NND or Youtube.

So yeah, the game has some interesting ideas but in the end the song list just doesn't excite me.  And that's about the worst mistake you can make with a rhythm game...

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7057 on: February 16, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »

I've been playing Astonishia Story. I love the visuals, but the game is mediocre. 
And because I can only bring myself to stick with it a little at a time, I've started Hexen 2. I played it back in high school but never finished it. Really brings back memories.
...and makes me realize how goddamn old I am. :[

it also incorporates much of the story/dialogue naturally into the gameplay and exploration.
That's what I meant by interactive movie; the story blends seamlessly with the gameplay, making for an immersive narrative.
But yes, for the sake of semantic pedantry, QTE based games are more like movies. :P
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7058 on: February 16, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »

The Driver - I'm bad at turning. Ffff.

Metal Slug - I think I like this series more than Contra. It's a lot more forgiving in some ways and doesn't seem to really require the same degree of precision, I guess? Also the anthology lets you credit feed if you want to which is nice when you're learning the game. Contra 4 gets kind of fuck-you.

Also I think the Wii versions are framerate locked to offset slowdown in the originals? It doesn't really bug me but it is noticeable. NOT feeling the input lag Game Grumps was talking about though. Maybe that's multiplayer only?

Anyway, was Parasite Eve 2 any good? I liked PE1 but I heard PE2 was very different, and people seemed less fond of it in general. Then again, I have terrible taste in everything so that's not saying much.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7059 on: February 16, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »

Some cheap deaths in Last of Us but overall I love the look and feel of the story, and I am getting much better at stealth, just wish I had a bit more time to look around sometimes when I face humans, no issues with infected but human battles are a bit of a pain sometimes.

Everything's Eventual
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7060 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »

Finally!

Yamato acquired.  Been trying to get her ever since they made her buildable in an update towards the end of 2013...

No, I'm not addicted to this stupid game...

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7061 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »

Last of Us
Left Behind

And the gamers will blow up!!!
Code:
ELIE AND RILEY SHARE A KISS!  Awwwwwwww.  It's been fun reading the internet about it and whether she's gay now or not.

But seriously, I quickly forgot just how good Last of Us's cutscenes are.  The DLC is wonderful, taking place both in the past (between Riley and Elie) and during the game (between the Fall-Winter hullabaloo).  It explains Elie's arsenal basically (her pendant, walk-man, and weapons).  It's hard and a bit creepy with the more modern segment, but plays at nice and innocent with the Riley/Elie bit.  It's nice to get more depth from one of the game's main character too.  Also I loved the strange additions, the parts where the girls are just having fun.  But it's clear at the end that it's the segments in the past the make Elie the tough young girl she is in the game.  And that's just well done on the developers part; and it's great with a medium like gaming you can take your time with these things.

I'm actually kinda disappointed that we didn't see Riley turn though.  That'd have been a shocking/awesome revelation to see only one of them turn.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:08:22 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7062 on: February 16, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »

Bravely Default - 7 hours in now and I'm starting to get addicted to just battling and leveling up my jobs and buying new gear at every town. This is SO the kind of JRPG I have been wanting to play for awhile now. Loving it.

Assassin's Creed 4 - About 14 hours in and on memory sequence 5. I honestly could be so much farther in the story if I did not get caught up in collecting everything possible and plundering every ship I come across... it is just too much fun. I am really loving this game too. Haven't had a good handheld and console game combo going on like this for awhile.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7063 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

Ugh. Between Bravely Default and Lightning Returns, I really need to find a game to add to my rotation that won't completely stress me out. It's terrible too, because I was really looking forward to both these games and while I'm enjoying them both the nature of the games and the general difficulty is just giving me a massive headache.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7064 on: February 16, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »

I finished Dust: An Elysian Tail yesterday and Assassin's Creed 2 four or five nights ago, so I'm moving on.  Somewhere near the end of Episode of Tell-Tale's The Walking Dead (obvious twist in episode 2, but pulled off really well) and messing around in a third (!?) playthrough of Persona 3.  P3P, female MC, mid-September.  Shinjiro's quite the charmer in his Social Link. 

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: