Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341138 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 454965 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7110 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »

I feel strange looking forward to not one but two first-person shooters...

The new Wolfenstein actually looks promising and Doom 4 (now just called Doom) having a beta planned is bizarre given with what I've read about the development of that game before. Either way, Bethesda definitely will have my attention the rest of the year between Wolfenstein and The Evil Within.

Also I really enjoyed that long CG trailer for TESO last month now that I remember.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:50:09 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7111 on: February 20, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »

Bravely Default:

Just about to start Chapter 3 and I'm sort of nervous since a lot of folks on here talked about almost missing various side quests in this chapter, so I'm going to be extra careful. Kind of sad to be leaving Florem, as that has been my favorite music in the game so far. I'm not a fan of the town's  themselves though, they feel more like small set pieces rather than towns. Nice to look at, but not very interesting. I will also say that the difference just two or three levels makes in this game is astounding.

Lightning Returns:

Finished Day 3 and the Yusnaan main quest. It's going to take a lot for any of the other main quests to top that one. The music during the "performance" was amazing, as was the music that played after the main boss.
Code:
That and I finally found Snow to be a likeable character.
I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get into this game, but it's really growing on me fast, and could very well become my favorite entry into the series. I opted not to use the guide, so I'm also proud that my progress is going so smoothly.

Anyone else feel like the combat system is acting as a stealthy link between that of XIII/XIII-2 and XV?
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7112 on: February 20, 2014, 03:07:55 AM »

Downloaded Hearthstone after trying to avoid it since in my mind it killed the actual card game. I am having a lot of fun with it. If you are playing add me. I am Daggs.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7113 on: February 20, 2014, 03:46:06 AM »

--- edit ---

MGS3 - This is fun as hell. The prospect of a lot of cutscenes if offputting, but...

How's the gameplay to movie ratio in MGS1? 2 seems very uh-uh to me.

About 60/40 respectfully. But most of that either comes from Codec calls or overly longwinded death speeches. Of course this is going off of what I remember of the original PSX version (which I played all of once, for only one day), they probably padded it out for the GCN version.

FE Sacred Stones: Finally realized what an idiot I was being for trying to nab the game's sole Berserk Staff when it occurred to me that I'd be better off trying to do so in a run that isn't a no-grinding run. Was well rewarded for my decision with fairly good levels across the board (Ephraim and Colm did get the short end of the stick but they were pretty screwed to begin with; you're almost ready to promote Ephraim, why in Naga's name are your stats outside of Skill, HP, and Luck 11 or less? I think Roy would generally have better stats than those at level 16).

TLoH:TitS:FC: Round one of the game's tournament arc is complete (this game just wouldn't be complete without a tournament arc to go with the beach episode, the school festival arc, the hotsprings episode, and whatever the hell you're supposed to call the 'visiting the farm' episode). Now to spend some quality time in the game's second sewer dungeon to training montage in preparation for round two.

Braev Lee Dee Falt: Took down Eternia's Central Command with the ridiculous Kairai/Know Thine Enemy combo. Now to collect seven Dragon Balls six Golden Coins key stones (or failing that, shleping over to the Earth Crystal to get this show boat back on the road).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7114 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:43 AM »

Bravely Default:

Just about to start Chapter 3 and I'm sort of nervous since a lot of folks on here talked about almost missing various side quests in this chapter, so I'm going to be extra careful. Kind of sad to be leaving Florem, as that has been my favorite music in the game so far. I'm not a fan of the town's  themselves though, they feel more like small set pieces rather than towns. Nice to look at, but not very interesting. I will also say that the difference just two or three levels makes in this game is astounding.
If you follow the blue markers, the only one you can miss is the pirate one as there is no blue marker for the end of it. So once you have triggered the conversation about the ghost ship, go north of Grandship and night and enter fog.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7115 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

@Mesh: MGS1 was pretty much build over cutscenes and codec calls. There's plenty of stuff to see/do though.

MGS2 is a trap is you really liked MGS1, but more importantly the game is committed to a story that works at a thematic level with the gameplay being an improvement in all the areas that it needed at the time.

If you just wanna fun with Metal Gear I would recommend Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and/or MGS: Peace Walker.

Anyone else feel like the combat system is acting as a stealthy link between that of XIII/XIII-2 and XV?

If anything I would say that XV shares more similarities with Type-0 and 3rd-person action games. Though, I don't doubt that some of the elements of the battle system of XIII or its sequels might appear in XV.

Right now the only link between those two is the mythos, but that's kinda of a vague connection with how XIII, Type-0 and XV use their own interpretation of that mythos.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:33:41 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7116 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »

If you just wanna fun with Metal Gear I would recommend Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and/or MGS: Peace Walker.

Honestly though, MGF would be better off with MGS1 since it's effectively a remake of MG2. Sure, some of the plot elements in MGS1 reference stuffs that go down in MG2, but the game will tell you enough about it anyways that you don't even need to burn the five minutes on the gameplay they're referencing.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7117 on: February 20, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

^I just mentioned MG2 and PW because they don't have the weight other games in the series have, and in all the years I've been with the series I end up having a bunch of fun with those two (and Revengeance, but that's an entirely different kind of game).

MGS1 is cool either way, yeah.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7118 on: February 20, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »

The MSX versions of MG1 and 2 look p. fun to me though. Might pick up subsistence if I see it cheap enough and with bonus disc intact.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7119 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

Considering giving up on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 after my 25th attempt to defeat Ursula with absolutely no luck. The battle is 10x harder than I remember it being. The movement is completely illogical; you try to swim one direction and go a completely different direction, and the gazillion lightning bolts can pretty much stun-lock you into oblivion. Oh yeah, you're warned about a tenth of a second before they strike so at least the game gives you a leg up there.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7120 on: February 21, 2014, 06:45:04 AM »

Considering giving up on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 after my 25th attempt to defeat Ursula with absolutely no luck. The battle is 10x harder than I remember it being. The movement is completely illogical; you try to swim one direction and go a completely different direction, and the gazillion lightning bolts can pretty much stun-lock you into oblivion. Oh yeah, you're warned about a tenth of a second before they strike so at least the game gives you a leg up there.
Don't give up! As I recall the cheesy way to beat her is to get behind her head, stay there as long as possible, and just wail on her as she can't hit you there. Speaking of which.....and yeah she was harder than I remembered her being. You could also try gaining a few levels.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7121 on: February 21, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »

I beat Kingdom Hearts 1.5 last year and I don't remember that battle being difficult at all. Is that a spot people typically struggle?

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7122 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

Attack of the Friday Monsters

I was actually a bit let down by this game. It had been hyped up and the game didn't really seem to live up to it for me. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and well worth the few euro it cost me but it also seemed to drag at parts. I think it would have made a much better movie than game.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7123 on: February 21, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »

Took me a bunch more tries, but finally took her down. The last bar of health took FOREVER because there would be times where she would use her "THIS WON'T BE PRETTY!" attack 4 or 5 times in a row. So I would swim away, swim back, get in maybe one hit before I had to swim away again.

Atlantica as a whole is just a massive stain on an otherwise solid game.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7124 on: February 21, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »

The worst though is Mega Man. Every time I play one I vow to never touch the series again, and then a year later I start another and it makes me just as frustrated. I actually LIKE the games, but why the hell nobody has made a "normal mode" hack for them I have no idea.

I've somehow managed to play through most megaman games, some with less glory than others. It might be worth trying the Mega Man X series, which might be difficult too, but I've always thought it just feels a lot more organic than classic blue bomber.
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: