Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327805 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 389654 times)
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7125 on: February 21, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »

The worst though is Mega Man. Every time I play one I vow to never touch the series again, and then a year later I start another and it makes me just as frustrated. I actually LIKE the games, but why the hell nobody has made a "normal mode" hack for them I have no idea.

I've somehow managed to play through most megaman games, some with less glory than others. It might be worth trying the Mega Man X series, which might be difficult too, but I've always thought it just feels a lot more organic than classic blue bomber.

The X series is mostly what I had in mind. I tried the old NES ones but couldn't even scratch the surface. :[
I have played X through X4, Rockman and Forte, and the first Zero all the way through (though I exploited savestates with Rockman and Forte I was so frustrated and impatient).

I did finally pick up the trick to saving my sanity (and controller) is to only do a stage at a time, that way I can stop while I'm ahead after beating a boss, and not take in too much stress all at once. And to cheat with google to find where all the upgrades live.
But the old school formula of doing something over and over again to perfection feels like work to me; tedious and masochistic work.
Same with Shemps; I enjoy them, but unless they dole out credits generously, I just get bored of doing the same stages over and over again.

Ironically, I loved Demon's Souls, because the addition of levels and the ability to regain souls meant I was always advancing, even when I wasn't getting farther.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7126 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »

Just finished FF XIII-2. Overall it's an improvement over FF XIII-2 from a gameplay standpoint. The story  and characters are on par, Caius is one of the best villains in the series. Im hoping LR wont be a disaster.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7127 on: February 21, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »

Just finished FF XIII-2. Overall it's an improvement over FF XIII-2 from a gameplay standpoint. The story  and characters are on par, Caius is one of the best villains in the series. Im hoping LR wont be a disaster.

I just wish Yeul was a better "girl worth saving" because her flat emotions and dead delivery did little to convince me.

You gonna get all the fragment thingies?  I can say it's not terribly difficult (but, IMO the rare weapons from the special boss in Archlytte Steppes).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7128 on: February 21, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »

I just wish Yeul was a better "girl worth saving" because her flat emotions and dead delivery did little to convince me.

You gonna get all the fragment thingies?  I can say it's not terribly difficult (but, IMO the rare weapons from the special boss in Archlytte Steppes).

Nah, I dont feel like going through so much trouble for some non canonical endings(Im watching them on youtube as we speak.). Im done with the game and I will also youtube Requiem of the Goddess because I refuse to pay for an ending. The major complaint I have with the game is the lack of closure.. It's what's holding it back from being a superior experience to XIII imo. The part where we visit Noel's time is unmatched though, that was top notch and it also had the only cool Yeul anyway. The OST is fantastic too! The ending just left me with an empty feeling though...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:59:37 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7129 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »

One thing that confused me about XIII-2 and its ending was

Code:
why did Etro die when Caius was killed and not when any previous Guardian was slain. I guess it could be something like Noel's heart rejected it or how it happened in Valhalla but that doesn't seem right. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7130 on: February 21, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »

Code:
[quote author=Darilon link=topic=9193.msg322978#msg322978 date=1393005381]
[quote author=Holykael1 link=topic=9193.msg322970#msg322970 date=1393003125]
[/quote]

One thing that confused me about XIII-2 and its ending was

[code]why did Etro die when Caius was killed and not when any previous Guardian was slain. I guess it could be something like Noel's heart rejected it or how it happened in Valhalla but that doesn't seem right. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Code:
That's a good question actually, I think it's because Noel didnt actually become the guardian and Caius was the first guardian to have Etro's heart
[/code]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:17:02 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7131 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

FFXIII-2 spoilers

Code:
That's a good question actually, I think it's because Noel didnt actually become the guardian and Caius was the first guardian to have Etro's heart

Code:
I suppose it must be that Noel doesn't become Guardian. Maybe it was seen as suicide rather than being defeated. Have you beaten Caius in the dream world and got that Paradox ending?

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7132 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Congrats on beating the game! I think I'm on the tail end of episode 3 part 2. Got a little lost on which portal to go to advance the plot while resisting looking up a FAQ/walkthrough on gamefaqs. I'm torn between wanting to find more fragments or power though as much as possible to beat the game so I can tap into Lightning Returns which is still sitting on the shelf shrinkwraped and all. When I'm not consumed by FF XIII-2, I'm playing Bravely Default. What a fun game for the 3DS. I added a few peeps on here to rebuild my village.

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7133 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »

FFXIII-2 spoilers

Code:

Code:
I suppose it must be that Noel doesn't become Guardian. Maybe it was seen as suicide rather than being defeated. Have you beaten Caius in the dream world and got that Paradox ending?
Yeah, I did just a few seconds ago and it confirms our speculation.
Code:
It says Caius was the first guardian to be given eternal life and that Noel only became an actual guardian in that one paradox ending

Edit: Thanks Orson, enjoy it aswell :)

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7134 on: February 21, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »

In regards to the FFXIII-2 discussion:

Code:
According to a bit in the Datalog of Lightning Returns, if a Guardian is defeated by another guardian that has the strength of will to resist the chaos of Etro, then the heart is destroyed for good, or something along those lines.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7135 on: February 21, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »

The Last of Us: Left Behind:

2nd playthrough. Got all the trophies.

R.I.P. Pogo and Trumpet. :(

I will also youtube Requiem of the Goddess because I refuse to pay for an ending.

RotG is not really an ending though. Its just an extra episode that works like a prologue to LR as far as I remember.

I got it a while ago when SQEX was selling XIII-2's DLC at half-price.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7136 on: February 21, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »

Got to the DS ending in Ni No Kuni and I'm done.  I watched the rest on YouTube because I heard the White Witch arc wasn't that good and I simply can't take any more of this horrid battle system (and I'm not just talking about the AI).  I haven't felt this conflicted about a game in a long time.  It's outstanding in nearly all other aspects and just oozes with charm, especially the phenomenal art direction and score.  The familiar system and battle system really bogged down the game for me.  Now I know why people wish we got the DS version, but I see why they chose the PS3 one.

On another note, I'm really enjoying Bravely Default and Sly 4.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7137 on: February 21, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

Holy shit, just finished the demo of LR:FF XIII and it was amazing.. If the game is as good as the demo, then fuck the negative reviews.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7138 on: February 21, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

Finished Last of Us.....serious roller coaster ride there. Honestly I felt some of the crazy battles, especially against humans were too much and took waaay to much away from the ebb and flow of the story. I would have much preferred the entire game be much more stealth, still, overall a great romp. Started Thousand Arms on a whim and after an hour I certainly am amused, we'll see if I stay amused. Borrowed (stole) Bravely Default from my son and promptly played for three hours straight, lol. don't think he's getting this one back soon.

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7139 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »

Got to the DS ending in Ni No Kuni and I'm done.  I watched the rest on YouTube because I heard the White Witch arc wasn't that good and I simply can't take any more of this horrid battle system (and I'm not just talking about the AI).  I haven't felt this conflicted about a game in a long time.  It's outstanding in nearly all other aspects and just oozes with charm, especially the phenomenal art direction and score.  The familiar system and battle system really bogged down the game for me.  Now I know why people wish we got the DS version, but I see why they chose the PS3 one.

I remember Ni no Kuni (I always want to say the game is about an Italian boy named "Nino"...stupid joke) was the JRPG for people who don't play/know JRPGs.  It's so divided: People either want to spit on it or call it their GOTY of 2013.

....I hated it.  The battle system drove me up a goddamn wall.
Can someone explain why the 'White Witch arc' seems to (unanimously) "cheapen" the game's story??

Either way I still felt the game was a waste of, otherwise, beautiful resources.  The graphics and music were wonderful....and that's it.  It's also a part of this "wave" of JRPGs that treat their players like they might be idiots.

Finished Last of Us.....serious roller coaster ride there. Honestly I felt some of the crazy battles, especially against humans were too much and took waaay to much away from the ebb and flow of the story. I would have much preferred the entire game be much more stealth, still, overall a great romp. Started Thousand Arms on a whim and after an hour I certainly am amused, we'll see if I stay amused. Borrowed (stole) Bravely Default from my son and promptly played for three hours straight, lol. don't think he's getting this one back soon.

Hope you liked TLoU anyways.  I think to finish the games with "human enemies" works well for Joel's final decision, personally.  WHO ARE THE ANIMALS NOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?  *ahem*...

Holy shit, just finished the demo of LR:FF XIII and it was amazing.. If the game is as good as the demo, then fuck the negative reviews.

If you're in it for the gameplay, most seem impressed in that department.  It's just the story that reviewers really got down about.

ME: Playing ToS
I fucking hate Misono, her monotone yell is terrible and I miss the orchestrated opening.  Anyways, still happy to replay one of my favorite older RPGs. :)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: