Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 04:01:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338002 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 442126 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7185 on: February 22, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »

I'm not quite sure what you expect from a review then...

What do you mean?  I expect the reviewer's opinion on the game.

Oh, um.  I guess I'm just kind of lost with the intent of your response to Kevadu.

I'm lost as well.

Do you want the reviewer to acknowledge all the time that their opinion may differ from others and the things they don't like others will like? That's very tiresome and pretty bad writing. It's supposed to be a given.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7186 on: February 22, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »

Kevadu was talking about how some spectacular games can be severly flawed, using Nier as an example.  I'm saying that those flaws are not objective and differ from person to person.

In regards to what reviewers write, I don't care.  My main argument from before is that there isn't a need for "professional" game reviewers and the system has become corrupt.  I'm fine with the idea of reviews in general.  In fact, I prefer them so that people can have a wide variety of opinions to use when making purchases.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7187 on: February 22, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »

Reviews are worthless for the most part, unless you know what type of person the reviewer is and what kind of tastes they have so you can draw parallels with your own tastes. That kind of mindset will make you miss out on great experiences. If Nier is anything to go by(which I personally havent had the chance to play yet), mainstream reviews are worthless, for my tastes atleast.

OK, I'm very late to this discussion but I couldn't just overlook this.  Your example of why reviews are 'worthless' is a game that you haven't even played...yet somehow you're completely confident it was mistreated by 'mainstream' reviewers.

Let me tell you something: I've played Nier.  I loved Nier.  It was one of my favorite games whenit came out.  But I also recognize that it is an extremely flawed title and not everyone is going to like it.  For everything point it succeeds at I can list half a dozen points where it stumbles.  Honestly if I was going to review Nier I would probably give it about a 7/10, which coincidentally is pretty close to its Metacritic average.  This is despite the fact that I love the game, which I do.  I don't consider these statements to be contradictory.  Loving a game despite its flaws does not mean you have to ignore the flaws.

I think the real problem here isn't reviews as much as it's people acting like a 7/10 is a horrible score that means a game is unplayable or something.  There is an awful lot of whining out there whenever a game somebody like didn't get a 9+ or whatever.  At least from my perspective that seems to be the real origin of the whole "reviews are worthless" attitude.  How about you stop obsessing over scores and read the actual text of the reviews in question?  I generally find that to be far more enlightening (and in the few cases I've found when the criticisms had no weight it's generally self-evident).

Mainstream reviewers lack consistency, besides I dont just look at the scores, I read the actual text and I find many of their complaints to be inconsequential or not actual negative points or I simply disagree, many reviewers overlook gameplay elements and fail to grasp the most basic of mechanics or even storyline elements(ahem, Spoony's FF XIII review)(They are working under big time limits and some might not even be fan of the genre of the game they are playing, one big example is how Daemon Hatfield from IGN complained that Ghost Trick was too wordy and had that as one of the game's big flaws, Are you fucking kidding me?! IT'S A FUCKING VISUAL NOVEL). Im not trying to generalize here, all im saying is that for me personally reviews are mostly worthless, I didnt say reviews were fundamentally, objectively worthless, if you find value in them yourself more power to you. And like I said originally, if I know the reviewer's likes and dislikes I can more easily draw parallels with my own and find more value in their reviews.
And usually when one aspect of the game is so amazing, the other small design quirks are easily forgotten in the big scope of things for me.(case and point 999(a game I would easily say is 10/10 even if it has a few flaws) for instance).

Dont forget that we also live in the age of Hyperbole where ocasionally small flaws are blown out of proportion.
When I say reviews are worthless Im not talking about the score, Im talking about what is said obviously.
Oh also, I can give many examples of why reviews are mostly worthless(FOR ME) of games that I actually played(I used Nier as an example because it's more universally loved than any of my examples) - FF XIII, XIII-2, Any Xenosaga, Chrono Cross(not mainstream reviews but general internet opinion), etc... My point still stands, it's always better to judge things for yourself based on your own standards, likes and dislikes. You can use reviews and stuff if you want to determine if the game is worth playing but I am at the point where I can look at a game, see some gameplay videos and stuff and see if I will like it or not, it's not hard science but atleast it's better than maybe losing out on an amazing game just because the internet doesnt like it. Hence why I think the general consensus can go fuck itself, I would have missed out on great games if I blindly followed it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:43:11 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7188 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »

I was referring to this in Tomara's thread about things, but there was this one article in reference to Wonderful 101 that's talking about how mainstream reviewers are ill-equipped to handle specialized or skill-based genres a lot.

I also inelegantly spliced several sentences together there.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7189 on: February 22, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

I was referring to this in Tomara's thread about things, but there was this one article in reference to Wonderful 101 that's talking about how mainstream reviewers are ill-equipped to handle specialized or skill-based genres a lot.

I also inelegantly spliced several sentences together there.

Dude you are hilarious, your self awareness amuses me.(even if you are wrong, you actually formed a rather cohesive message.)

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7190 on: February 22, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »

Platinum games are a unique case because pretty much all of their games are significantly better if you get good at them.  Unless you're an action game guru, this requires time and practice (which "professional" reviewers don't have, but I won't get into that again).  The payoff is well worth it though.

My point still stands, it's always better to judge things for yourself based on your own standards, likes and dislikes. You can use reviews and stuff if you want to determine if the game is worth playing but I am at the point where I can look at a game, see some gameplay videos and stuff and see if I will like it or not, it's not hard science but atleast it's better than maybe losing out on an amazing game just because the internet doesnt like it.
Good message.  I've been trying to tell people this for years but sometimes I feel they just turn their brains off.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7191 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »

Platinum games are a unique case because pretty much all of their games are significantly better if you get good at them.  Unless you're an action game guru, this requires time and practice (which "professional" reviewers don't have, but I won't get into that again).  The payoff is well worth it though.

Metal Gear Rising was badass and that game got some really shitty reviews(as in, the actual written thing was shit), people complaining about the difficulty or people who didnt even understand how to parry(it was explained in the game how it worked and several initial fights were practice for that mechanic).. I mean really?(THough the game had it's flaws of course, like the run of the mill level design.) Is this the kind of professionalism we have in the big deal gaming journalism, such incompetence should not be tolerated in the supposedly professional reviewers(sucking at the game doesnt mean that the game is actually mechanically flawed, that's my point in a nutshell.)
Non big deal gaming opinions are not any better sometimes, basically I trust almost no one but myself(I trust RPGFan and the people here to a certain extent though) when it comes to judging a video game. Dont get me wrong though, I will still read what people have to say, I dont immediately write off other people's opinions if they disagree with me, if they can form a well constructed argument I might even change my own opinion if I think their points are legit and make mine obsolete.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:58:23 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7192 on: February 22, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »

Metal Gear Rising was badass and that game got some really shitty reviews(as in, the actual written thing was shit), people complaining about the difficulty or people who didnt even understand how to parry(it was explained in the game how it worked and several initial fights were practice for that mechanic).. I mean really?(THough the game had it's flaws of course, like the run of the mill level design.) Is this the kind of professionalism we have in the big deal gaming journalism, such incompetence should not be tolerated in the supposedly professional reviewers(sucking at the game doesnt mean that the game is actually mechanically flawed, that's my point in a nutshell.)
Non big deal gaming opinions are not any better sometimes, basically I trust almost no one but myself(I trust RPGFan and the people here to a certain extent though) when it comes to judging a video game. Dont get me wrong though, I will still read what people have to say, I dont immediately write off other people's opinions if they disagree with me, if they can form a well constructed argument I might even change my own opinion if I think their points are legit and make mine obsolete.

I haven't played Rising yet, but it was the same with TW101, so I know how you feel.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7193 on: February 22, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »

Rust. I'm obsessed with it even though there isn't any point to it. Minecraft all over again.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7194 on: February 23, 2014, 12:12:35 AM »

I have a confession to make:  It's been months, literally, since I played even a single free game I've gotten off of PS+.  Even though I've raved about the service before and think it's a genuinely good value (if you actually have time to play games from it), all it's been doing is adding a pile of digital games to my backlog on top of the physical game backlog I already had.  I don't know how people keep up with this stuff.  I'm seriously starting to wonder why I'm even subscribed...

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7195 on: February 23, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »

Rust. I'm obsessed with it even though there isn't any point to it. Minecraft all over again.

Has the Penis Brotherhood phase passed yet? Might pick up Rust if it has.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7196 on: February 23, 2014, 12:20:51 AM »

Pokemon Y is complete. Very fun. Next is La Mulana.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7197 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:49 AM »

Pokemon Y is complete. Very fun. Next is La Mulana.

Oh my fucking lord, that avatar is awesome.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7198 on: February 23, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »

I have a confession to make:  It's been months, literally, since I played even a single free game I've gotten off of PS+.  Even though I've raved about the service before and think it's a genuinely good value (if you actually have time to play games from it), all it's been doing is adding a pile of digital games to my backlog on top of the physical game backlog I already had.  I don't know how people keep up with this stuff.  I'm seriously starting to wonder why I'm even subscribed...
I know the feeling, and my PS3 hard drive is running out of space.  I said at the beginning of the year that I would start to stay on top of the free games every week...that stopped at February.

PS+ is great, but does anyone else think it discourages purchases?  Now I rarely buy major releases and PSN games expecting them to be on Plus at some point.  If it's part of a series I enjoy of course I'll get a physical copy, but if it's something I am likely to play once and be done with, then I'm fine with the Plus version.  I have been holding off on The Last of Us because I think it's pretty obvious it will go on Plus, maybe during E3.  Not that a game like that needs day one purchases, but still.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7199 on: February 23, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »

MGS3 - In the caves. Got the darch and the nuvvle-goos. Got to the second part of the cave. GEE, IT SURE IS SKELETONS IN HERE.

--- edit ---

I think basically all of LoM's AI issues aren't AI issues but actually /animation/ issues. If you were to flatly increase the speed at which all enemy animations are done, they'd, in general, *act* more frequently. Enemies either move or attack, and they only do this once the current action's animation finishes. The player's movement animations are a lot faster, and this basically makes it impossible for the enemy to adjust adequately to what you're doing. I think it's also what contributes to the infinite quick attack stunlocking, since that's contingent on the length of the stun animation.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:26:57 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: