Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341083 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 454492 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7320 on: February 27, 2014, 02:04:52 PM »

Feminists have the inherent ability to suck the joy out of everything. People believing they are on a some kind of crusade are just not fun. I do search for things with female leads myself, though. However I don't have any kind of warped criteria of the ultimate gender neutral super woman (The Boss?). I just find them slightly more fun and lively than most of their male counterparts. I play games in order to enjoy myself, not in order to feel justified. And as much I like characters like Kenshiro, it is more about half parodical cheesefest and certainly doesn't make me feel like I'm somehow empowered as a male. Empowering stories are stories about success and effort, a sense of personal growth, which doesn't necessarily mean eliminating your enemies in 700 ways.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about this subject that is discussed at least a million times over. Now waiting for my Tales of Symphonia Chronicles copy to arrive, hopefully by friday or I'll have a boring weekend.

*backs away slowly*
Thanks. I was feeling lonely on my island, touting equality like a crazy person.
Not all feminists are bad--I've been called one myself ;D--but as with any group, those who bark the loudest are overcompensating for feelings of inadequacy they erroniously attribute to physiology. As Nietzsche pointed out, those who feel inferior want to take from those they consider strong.

My friend, who has a PhD in sociology and a utuerus, and minored in feminist studies, has said this about it (verbatim quote ripped from message)

"The problem is the modern women's movement is dominated by angry spiteful women who hate men either because they are 1) lesbians 2) Bad experiences 3) extremely unattractive. What this means is that the issues they are fighting for have nothing to do with the ones that really matter to getting women ahead in the workplace or in societal hierarchy. Their goal is payback and retribution and punishment. Its not about increasing womens access or power in the workplace , its about making mens share smaller. The goal should be in uplifting women and not tearing everyone else down to their level. Ofcourse this is also what goes on in minority rights groups too."

before it was "hard to find" images of her without her gear
Exactly. Her 8-bit uterus was never displayed in game either. She could have been a gender neutral cyborg (like Motoko Kusanagi). The extent of the importance of her gender was limited to -after the game- seeing that she had long hair and maybe breasts.
If that's enough to identify with a character, okay. Personally, I'm more discerning, and obviously don't stress gender any more than I stress skin color.

*sigh* Great I missed the feminism debate for the most part? Dang it, I got a minor in sociology because I took so many classes to learn more about the various nuances of gender.
I envy you for missing it.
It boils down to:
"sexism is bad"
"sexism is important"
"an (imaginary) uterus doesn't make bad writing worse any more than it makes humans worse."
"You're a misogynist."
[/size]

This is the most absurd thing I've read.  You've packed more stupid into one post then this site has seen in years.  You're a fool.

What's more funny is your PhD friend is so misguided and likely falling into "the pot calling the kettle black" of her own bad experiences to derail what feminism is about and -- even worse -- puts words in other [real] feminists mouths.  Moreover, I'm not a lesbian (wtf criteria), I'm hit on plenty enough (so I'm not unattractive; but again, wtf criteria) and by "bad experience" has been *within* this forum ironically a lot of it from you who purports himself a "feminist".  But hey, PhD's are just people too, and people are prone to mistakes, even ones who feel so infallible within their doctorate and a gullible audience who'd believe anything they said.

These attitudes are why feminists exist in the first place.  

And please, don't ever call a woman as a "uterus".  
Code:
Then again, I'm having trouble seeing you beyond any more than just a dick.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7321 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »

I liked the bit where his friend claimed that minorities were just bitter and wanted the more privileged to suffer.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7322 on: February 27, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »

I liked the part where people disregarded reading comprehension and repeatedly applied hyperbole to exaggerate and project things that weren't implied.

Stoners are fun. Thanks for the interesting conversation, guys. :)

also: having a uterus is one of the traits of being female. I thought this was common knowledge.
 Sorry I don't typify people by their anatomy. 
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7323 on: February 27, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »

This is the second place I know of that you've called RPGFan community members "stoners" for no reason whatsoever. Also, "Sorry I don't typify people by their anatomy" is your response to criticism about you typifying people by their anatomy?

You greatly confound me, sir.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:29:46 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7324 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »

This is the second place I know of that you've called RPGFan community members "stoners" for no reason whatsoever. Also, "Sorry I don't typify people by their anatomy" is your response to criticism about you typifying people by their anatomy?

Well said.

I'm very much over this whole exchange now.

I'm playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and I'm 99% sure I am just playing for the cute, as everything else is just grind.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7325 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »

You're going to have to provide a quote. I've been saying repeatedly that anatomy is the only difference between male and female, and that people read too much into gender that is irrelevant.
I know people aren't actually reading my posts though. Just making assumptions.

Oh, and I was referring to somebody who has admitted to getting high--it affects mental acumen. But that's just me spreading propaganda. (the first time I said it was an obvious joke relating to the fact Adult Swim has even said in their commercials they aim at a stoner audience).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:36:17 PM by Ikusagami » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7326 on: February 27, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »

So much hate in here :(

Taking a break from Toukiden. I think I've seen enough for the review and I might start to unjustly hate it if I force myself to play more right now. The game is fun but repetitive, so you'll quickly burn out if you play it hours on end. One thing I'll never get tired of are the armours. I don't think there are as many options as in MonHun, but I can't think of many I didn't like. There are some difference between the male and female versions, but unlike many other games Toukiden keeps the female versions very sensible most of the time. My female character always looked well protected (and awesome!) when going into battle :D

Started up Danranronpa. It's crazy and I love it.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7327 on: February 27, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »

Dude. When did it get all King of the Nerds in here (and I mean the current season's KotNs)?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7328 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »

*four pages of gender debates*

My god. What have I done.

I just rewound to two nites ago when I posted about a Zelda, Metroid crossover and had the same feeling... You may have helped light the fuse Aeolus but I made the bomb, so I can't let you shoulder the blame all by your lonesome.

I will now contribute my great and grand wisdom and feelings on all that was discussed.

Samus is still cool to me ( I have never played Other M) as are feminists and I am NOT a stoner!! LoL

Truth be told, even many moons ago, whilst heavily drug addled and knee deep in addiction I didn't like Marijuana. Always made everything feel a lot more difficult then it really was for me.

*Phew* Now that we got that out of the way.....

I completeted Ceodores chapter in FF4 TAY and STILL have the "Tales" itch despite having enjoyed TAY quite a bit. The chapter division of TAY however makes it easy for me to entertain the idea of putting it down and picking it back up and as such, I'm amusing the idea of playing yet another Tales game intsead.

After consulting the official authority on the subject last night (Dice) I'm feeling really compelled to play Eternia or Symphonia. I'm leaning toward eternia but also have the beat on a Symphonia collectors edition that I could possibly have a chance at grabbing. If I get the CE I know I won't be able to contain my excitement and will have to tear into it-LoL

I'm getting sick of paying attention to new releases. They confuse the S**T out of me in  terms of what I really want to play.

In other news. I beat Flame Mammoth in megaman x.... I actually did so about a week ago and can't remember if I announced my joy. Beating mega man bosses is BIG for me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7329 on: February 27, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

^ Congrats! I get the same feeling. I picked up the Megaman X collection about two years ago, struggled my way through X and then just could not do anything in X2. I keep thinking of throwing it back in, but it's not top priority by any means.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7330 on: February 27, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »

Beating Megaman bosses doesn't do much for me. Beating Ys bosses though...
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7331 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »

Samus is still cool to me ( I have never played Other M) as are feminists and I am NOT a stoner!! LoL

Truth be told, even many moons ago, whilst heavily drug addled and knee deep in addiction I didn't like Marijuana. Always made everything feel a lot more difficult then it really was for me.

I wasn't judging. :P I've had stoner friends; they're laid back enough to tolerate the fact I'm an 80s principal at heart, calling everybody slackers and pointing at them with my pinky and index finger like bullhorns. :D

Anyway, I was just annoyed at having people debate logic with emotion, and calling me an idiot after repeatedly twisting my words into convoluted interpretations for the sake of scape-goating societal issues onto me. Sorry if I upset anybody... well, anybody who isn't obnoxious anyway. My own tone was civil the entire time, despite what emotion might project onto it. Let's move past it shall we?  :)

Beating Megaman bosses doesn't do much for me. Beating Ys bosses though...
Ys bosses are much more varied and give a much greater sense of accomplishment, I feel, than trial and error. Even if Galbalan was as frustrating as a Megaman boss.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7332 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »

I liked the part where people disregarded reading comprehension and repeatedly applied hyperbole to exaggerate and project things that weren't implied.

What, you mean like this?

It boils down to:
"sexism is bad"
"sexism is important"
"an (imaginary) uterus doesn't make bad writing worse any more than it makes humans worse."
"You're a misogynist."

No, wait, that was you who wrote that...

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7333 on: February 27, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »

Atelier Ayesha

I have no idea what I am doing.

I really like how some of the characters are dressed in this game. You wouldn't really be surprised to see someone wearing them in real life.
Ernie is probably my favourite although the "flamboyantly dressed" Harry is also wearing pretty realistic clothing.

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7334 on: February 27, 2014, 04:41:47 PM »

What, you mean like this?

It boils down to:
"sexism is bad"
"sexism is important"
"You're a misogynist."

No, wait, that was you who wrote that...

Yes it was. My entire point was that sexism is bad and that bad writing of a female character is no worse than bad writing of a male character.  You're free to disagree though. :)
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: