Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 03:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329219 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 396462 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: October 31, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »

Well, I figured it was obvious I was talking about the story mode. If you are grinding to play other people competitively, that's the point. if it was easy to get top rate Pokemon, then there would be no competitive scene.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »

Recently I've been playing a PSP game I imported called Gachitora.  This little game is actually super fun.  It's from the makers of the Kenka Banchou series and has a lot of similarities in terms of mechanics, but the premise is quite different.  You play as a yakuza named Kaji Torao (or 'Tora' or short...that means 'tiger') who--through a series of highly improbably events--ends up becoming a high school teacher.  The story bears no small resemblence to a certain Great Teacher, which I freely admit is part of what caught my interest since that's once of my all-time favorite animes.

It plays a lot like a Kenka Banchou or Yakuza game, with lot's of shops and minigames to explore.  But unlike Yakuza the game is very tongue-in-cheek and is loaded with slapstick humour and highly exaggerated cartoonish facial expressions.  I appreciate that unlike a lot of Japanese games it's all done in-engine without ever resorting to characater portraits.  It flows better and let's people actually interact their environments while talking.

Much of the gameplay consists of helping people overcome their problems by 'breaking down the walls in their hearts', or something.  This is accomplished by metaphorically beating them up.  Yeah, that's right, you switch to a battle mode in which Tora is exchanging words with whomever you're talking to while your avatar beats up their avatar to represent the progress of the argument.  It's completely silly, but somehow it totally works.  Since the 'battles' aren't actually real there can be some ridiculous special attacks in an otherwise mundane setting.  Tora can also learn 'words' (that are actually phrases...but they call them 'words', in English...) that are basically like magic spells that can be attacks, stat boosts, healing, etc.

The game has a few real-world brawls as well as dictated by the story, but they are few in number.  Which is good, both because it wouldn't really make sense for a teacher to be wandering around randomly beating people up and because the real fights aren't as interesting.  They basically play the same only without all the special attacks and since Tora is supposed to be something of a badass they're also kind of easy.  The metaphorical battles, on the other hand, can sometimes be quite challenging since they don't actually depend on the person you're talking to's real fighting ability.  And it's always amusing to see a thin little high school girl suplex Tora...

Basically, it's a light-hearted humorous game with surprisingly deep fighting mechanics, a world with lots of minigames and stuff to do in it, and it's probably the closest thing we're ever going to see to GTO: the video game.  The game is even presented as if it was a series of TV episodes or something, with a little credit roll and everything everytime you reach a new 'episode'.  But yeah, it's probably never going to get localized since it's a PSP game so brush up on your Japanese skills...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »

Found my old copy of Zeus - Master of Olympus in a big pile of cds. Man, I was addicted to this game.

Although I have no idea how armies work. I just like building the city.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »

Currently trying to beat Uncharted 2 with 3 coming out today. Don't really like Chloe, (although the whole scene where he and Chloe run into Elena and Jeff was just funny) but the mechanics and melee are improved over 1. It still has its repetitive moments, but not as much. The train sequence was hella long and I'm still mad I didn't have enough RPG ammo to take out that fucking copter. Oh and that boss at the end was a bitch.

In Tibet now...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:17:20 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: November 01, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

Currently trying to beat Uncharted 2 with 3 coming out today. Don't really like Chloe, (although the whole scene where he and Chloe run into Elena and Jeff was just funny) but the mechanics and melee are improved over 1. It still has its repetitive moments, but not as much. The train sequence was hella long and I'm still mad I didn't have enough RPG ammo to take out that fucking copter. Oh and that boss at the end was a bitch.

In Tibet now...

What difficulty did you pick? I decided to go for hard on my play through, and without giving too much away, it got really frustrating near the end (you'll know why when you get there). The game is so well put together that it was hard to put down despite the frustration though.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 01, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

I did Hard, just like in UC1. I'm hearing there'll be something like the... 'different' enemies you experience late in UC1, so not looking forward to that. Much better game overall though. Can't wait for UC3.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: November 01, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »

Yeah, something along those lines.
I'm actually doing it the other way around, picked up a copy of UC1 a little while ago, and am planing to start on it as soon as I'm done with Dead Space.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »

The last chapter on UC2 is the weakest part of the whole game for me. It feels rushed, but the ending makes it worth the trouble.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

How the hell do you people play the Uncharted games on hard? When I initially started the first game I tried it on normal and got my ass kicked. I've since played them on easy, and still find them to be a challenge. Yeah, I know. I suck at games. But hard just has to be torture. Wow.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: November 01, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »

How the hell do you people play the Uncharted games on hard? When I initially started the first game I tried it on normal and got my ass kicked. I've since played them on easy, and still find them to be a challenge. Yeah, I know. I suck at games. But hard just has to be torture. Wow.

I don't even know how it would be FUN, man.  I bet that fucking train sequence would suck ten times as much as it did on normal. :P

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »

I agree, hard mode has pretty much always struck me as entirely too sadomasochistic.

Everything's Eventual
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »

...I get bored of normal modes I suppose. Even on Hard, Uncharted 2 was actually kinda fucking easy (for the most part) until the train. The first Uncharted on Hard was just tedious more than anything.

I don't think I'll delve into Crushing mode though. :P

I don't even know how it would be FUN, man.  I bet that fucking train sequence would suck ten times as much as it did on normal. :P

Trust me. It sucked. Mostly beefy dude at the end, though. I was forced to melee his ass at times and just guess as to which button sequence would save me from having that fucker break my back.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:32:21 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »

sadomasochistic

Sadomasochism and masochism are very, very different.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: November 02, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »

I played "Bully" Scholarship edition on the 360 for a few hours last night. Fun game with interesting achievements. Thought i'd try to install some small games on external HDD, runs really well though I think MS should up the useable size from 16gb to something more realistic
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: November 02, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »

i frequently start shooter games on hard then realize that playing tricky parts over kills the fun I'd have on normal. The only games I've beaten on hardest settings are co-op affairs like the halo games. Even then that's because I had the time and the patience, as did a friend or 2

I tried Dead Space on the hardest setting... got pretty far too but there was one point where you had to survive in a room until a door unlocked. Fucking thing sucks!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:15:09 AM by Yoda » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: