Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:12:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319583 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 360274 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2400 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »

It was more to be taken that most JRPGs have SciFi elements to them like that dungeon in FFI that houses the fourth fiend but are not classified as SyFy.

Please stop, that has nothing to do with awful channel renames or syphilis.

Aww. But without that, how can I derisively refer to SO attempts at writing science fiction? That's like being told to cut out referring to Square Enix as Squeenix in reference to their otherwise totally lackluster catalog of games and the fact that the Squaresoft of old was reduced to nothing but a memory nearly a decade ago.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »

Aww. But without that, how can I derisively refer to SO attempts at writing science fiction?

Actually, that is why we have the term sci-fi to begin with, along with skiffy. You're far from the first that needed to figure out how to distinguish serious science fiction from the fluff.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:07:21 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2402 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »

Picked up Arc the Lad on PSN. It had a nice little USA flag slapped on the thumb, giving me hope that if this made it over then maybe the rest of the good stuff will make it too.

I've really been meaning to play this, I got my hands on 1,2 and 3 from a pawn shop a while back. Maybe let us know how it plays out? Reviews are quite positive.

Me? playing King Of Fighters Orochi, can you say camp? yes i love the kof series

Arc 1 is pretty simple. Short, linear, and not PARTICULARLY deep, but I liked it a lot. Your mileage may definitely vary.

Arc 2 is an open-ended epic which everyone should play. It tends to be a little on the easy side, but it skirts around a lot of the annoying things that tactical RPGs usually have so this isn't an issue (and really, it plays more like a regular RPG with tactical battles).

Arc 3 I never played. I don't think it was as well regarded because it was supposed to be a lot more light-hearted and less story driven than Arc 2 -- which I can understand because Arc 2 had a damn good story and was probably one of the WD's better translations because they didn't rampantly fuck with shit -- but it sounds like it still plays good.

I also heard the first PS2 AtL game was really good but the second one's supposed to be a crappy PSO clone or something. Never played either. Considered picking up the first one sometime. The graphics aren't really as good as the rather sexy spritework in the first two AtL's though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2403 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »

Arc Twilight of the Spirits pissed me off because of our main hero's crush on some avante-garde looking bitch, and ignoring the foxy and sweet one with a beauty mark on her breast.
Ah well.... then Bebedora came along, and I got happy. :)

Will have to give Arc 2 a go-go.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2404 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:54 AM »

For all the faults of DA2 I think at the very least it should be played for the conversation choices. On the fringe the conversation seem simple, but the more side quests you involve yourself in, and having certain party members present, open up some pretty unique options.

Plus, some of the "renegade" choices eclipse ME2 in some ways.

I'm playing a real scoundrel type character who just gleefully stabbed a dwarf in the neck with his back turned.

The main plot, conversations, and character interactions make this quite a solid game to play the fuck out of.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2405 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »

Mass Effect 2 has been beaten...the right way, this time. :P  No deaths.

Of course, I completely forgot to do any of the DLC.  I guess that's what post-game is for.  I should definitely do Arrival, since that apparently matters in ME3.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: January 24, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

Arrival probably makes more sense AFTER the ending anyway, given it's meant to help set up ME3. I really oughta play through that too, I got it on sale but have yet to touch it.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »

I'm about to play Arrival again. :D

Well, after I beat ME2 anyway. I got it on sale too. I wish the others went on sale, but I couldn't resist grabbing them anyway.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2408 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:13 PM »

Arc Twilight of the Spirits pissed me off because of our main hero's crush on some avante-garde looking bitch, and ignoring the foxy and sweet one with a beauty mark on her breast.
Ah well.... then Bebedora came along, and I got happy. :)

Will have to give Arc 2 a go-go.

Bebedora had to be one of the most awesome figures in any video game ever. period.

Everything's Eventual
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2409 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:26 PM »

Trying to do all the stuns in inFamous is haaaarrrd. I'm pretty close to get the Platinum trophy, better get this thing done once and for all!
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2410 on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »

Mesh, thanks for the quick run-down on arc. 

I found I really like the sound track for Legend of Mana, another oldie I haven't given a go. I'll probably have a PSX marathon after Dark Souls, need to complete FF9, tactics and both parasite eve's.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2411 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

All the ME2 talk just pisses me off because after beating the game and downloading some DLC(don't remember which one) the whole thing locked up, then corrupted my save file. I'm stuck playing ME3 without anything carrying over from the past games. Still pisses me off over a year later. Ugh.

Skyward Sword - I have a harp to play with. The boss at the end of the mining facility was too easy. Even for me. Now That's saying something.
There was some story stuff, I fought a giant monster, then had to go find a lost propeller for a windmill. I did all that then made my way into the big storm cloud. The puzzle there is a total bitch and will require gamefaqs assistance.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »

Ugh, Grim, that sucks.

What if you played just ME2? We've still got a month and a bit until ME3 anyway. And even if not, I believ BioWare is letting you 'recap' ME 1 & 2 if you start up 3 without an imported save. Kinda like how the PS3 version of 2 had that comic.

Anyway, last night I finished the Kasumi and Overlord DLCs. I love them both. Overlord gets so creepy though. Time for Lair of the Shadow Broker!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2413 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

I've really been meaning to play this, I got my hands on 1,2 and 3 from a pawn shop a while back. Maybe let us know how it plays out? Reviews are quite positive.

Its OK, nothing spectacular so far. Not really much strategy involved as the AI is pretty stupid. The monsters either run about aimlessly or just move towards you. Its pretty much a matter of being the right level which you can grind for if you feel like you need it, rather than requiring an actual strategy. But its still a fun little romp.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2414 on: January 25, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »

Picked up Bioshock. Loved the first few hours, the atmospher, the horror aspects. I think I'm about 60% through now, and frankly I'm bored. The intensity level has dropped quite a bit and I'm just ready for this game to end.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: