Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 359484 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2415 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »

All the ME2 talk just pisses me off because after beating the game and downloading some DLC(don't remember which one) the whole thing locked up, then corrupted my save file. I'm stuck playing ME3 without anything carrying over from the past games. Still pisses me off over a year later. Ugh.

Skyward Sword - I have a harp to play with. The boss at the end of the mining facility was too easy. Even for me. Now That's saying something.
There was some story stuff, I fought a giant monster, then had to go find a lost propeller for a windmill. I did all that then made my way into the big storm cloud. The puzzle there is a total bitch and will require gamefaqs assistance.

Seriously? You didn't just try to line up the platform markers? You have a choice of three different obstacle configurations that you use to hold the ones in advance of the others in place until you can line them all up then switch to the obstacle configuration that only raises a barricade past the location where the complete bridge is needed. For reference the obstacle configuration switch is that thing that looks like a shoe rack but with three crystals in three of the containers with slots in the containers to allow your sword to swing through; you just need to lock on and swing.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2416 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

All the ME2 talk just pisses me off because after beating the game and downloading some DLC(don't remember which one) the whole thing locked up, then corrupted my save file. I'm stuck playing ME3 without anything carrying over from the past games. Still pisses me off over a year later. Ugh.

Skyward Sword - I have a harp to play with. The boss at the end of the mining facility was too easy. Even for me. Now That's saying something.
There was some story stuff, I fought a giant monster, then had to go find a lost propeller for a windmill. I did all that then made my way into the big storm cloud. The puzzle there is a total bitch and will require gamefaqs assistance.

Seriously? You didn't just try to line up the platform markers? You have a choice of three different obstacle configurations that you use to hold the ones in advance of the others in place until you can line them all up then switch to the obstacle configuration that only raises a barricade past the location where the complete bridge is needed. For reference the obstacle configuration switch is that thing that looks like a shoe rack but with three crystals in three of the containers with slots in the containers to allow your sword to swing through; you just need to lock on and swing.

I am aware of this. I worked on it for a good 20 minutes before turning it off in exasperation. This puzzle is harder than typical Zelda game puzzles. I kept whacking the crystals and adjusting the stones, but just couldn't figure it out. My gaming time is precious, and if I can't figure out a puzzle after a reasonable amount of time/tries I call in Gamefaqs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:00:12 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2417 on: January 25, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »

This puzzle is harder than typical Zelda game puzzles.

Not much of a comparison to be honest, since typical Zelda puzzles borderline solve themselves the as soon as you approach.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2418 on: January 25, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »

This puzzle is harder than typical Zelda game puzzles.

Not much of a comparison to be honest, since typical Zelda puzzles borderline solve themselves the as soon as you approach.
Thank you for being an ass. Have a nice day.

Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2419 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »

Not really meant to be an ass, just joking about how huge a gap your comparison has. Lets be honest, even if the puzzle isn't obvious when you get to it, Zelda games will literally have someone pop out and repeatedly scream the answer at you. Mass Effect on the other hand has its rare Layton moments, and as I recall doesn't make it nearly as easy.

Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2420 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »

It depends.  For some reason I could get stumped by an easy puzzle, and whizz through a complex one.  When you figure out the pirate ship, it's simple, but I do remember running around a few times because I missed something (sort of like the Water Temple in OOT, you get that "OOOH, i get it" moment when you took the time to think outside the box).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2421 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

Max, I called you an ass because you implied that I was stupid for not being able to solve the puzzle instantly like you do. If that is not what you meant, then I recant.
In general, I suck at anything puzzle-like. I'm more of a "beat the shit out of things" kind of player. Zelda games generally do not stump me. It may take a few moments to figure it out, but I normally get by just fine. This is why this puzzle last night bothered me. I just couldn't figure it out! Maybe I was too tired. Maybe my mind was too distracted. I don't know. I just hate getting stuck in games because that is valuable game time lost.
I was stumped for awhile in Farron Woods because I didn't know I could cut the vine in order to swing over to the elder dude. Sounds stupid, but it just didn't occur to me. Like Dice said, sometimes I'm proud of myself for cranking out what I would consider a tougher puzzle, but get stumped by the simple stuff.

Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2422 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »

Nah, I remember Mass Effect having Layton like puzzles at times. On the flip side, as an example of what I meant about Zelda, Skyward Sword actually has a stone outside of the Knight Academy that will give you a frame by frame solution to every puzzle. Just in case Fi popping out and saying stuff like "That door is locked, but there's a huge lever right behind that spider web, just in case yo don't see it Ill allow you do dowse for the lever, on a completely unrelated issue here is the tutorial for cutting through spider webs...again".

Long story short, I was taking a stab at Zelda puzzles not you, so don't worry about it.

I was stumped for awhile in Farron Woods because I didn't know I could cut the vine in order to swing over to the elder dude.

That's not really a puzzle though, more of a game mechanic you wasn't necessarily aware of. Either way, the difference is that in Zelda, sooner or later someone would point a huge flashing arrow at that thing while Mass effect would keep you in the dark until you figure it out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:05:45 PM by Maxximum » Logged

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »

Layton like puzzles in Mass Effect? My memory is failing me.

Unless by this you mean 'how NOT to flirt with Jacob' because Christ that was a goddamn puzzle all on its own.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2424 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »

I remember there being one in the first ME that involved rotating some blocks to get a computer online.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2425 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »

Nah, I remember Mass Effect having Layton like puzzles at times. On the flip side, as an example of what I meant about Zelda, Skyward Sword actually has a stone outside of the Knight Academy that will give you a frame by frame solution to every puzzle. Just in case Fi popping out and saying stuff like "That door is locked, but there's a huge lever right behind that spider web, just in case yo don't see it Ill allow you do dowse for the lever, on a completely unrelated issue here is the tutorial for cutting through spider webs...again".

Long story short, I was taking a stab at Zelda puzzles not you, so don't worry about it.
hehe. I looked to Fi for advice and she didn't offer anything but info about where I was. Normally she's annoying as hell.
I forgot about that thing by the Knight Academy. I talked to it once at the beginning of the game, and that's it. Out of sight, out of mind. Plus, it would be a pain to go back to that stone dude every time I needed help, wouldn't it? Easier and faster to check the computer.
Hmm. I don't recall any tough puzzles in ME. It has been awhile, though.

Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2426 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

They aren't common, but I do recall at least one being present in the original game.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2427 on: January 25, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »

Max, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of Zelda puzzles. Sure, a large percentage of the puzzles are fairly simple, but here and there, there's a number that are REALLY going to trip you up. What I find to be the case is that Zelda's are full of smaller lateral puzzles that 90% of the time you are going to get right off the bat, but if you don't, you're going to be wondering around for half an hour trying to figure it out while the answer is right there in front of you. They're not insane like Myst puzzles (good grief, later in the series they get to be practically impossible) where you're inclined to grab a notepad and jot down every tree marking you come across, but they're setup so that everyone will have trouble with one here and there.

I had some difficulty with a few of the desert temple time switching puzzles. One where I walked around for like half an hour before I figured out what I was supposed to do. I doubt I'm alone in this experience. Zelda's deffinitely have their moments of frusteration. Sure, once you solve them they're like "doh! I should have thought of that!" but you didn't, and that's how lateral puzzles work.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2428 on: January 25, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

Yeah, but that actually looks like a side effect of Zeldas easy puzzles. If you don't immediately see the answer, you assume you missed something and waste time wandering about looking for it, instead of trying to figure the room out.
I don't know, maybe its a matter of experience, I've played so many of these damn games that I usually know what I'm supposed to look for.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:33:03 PM by Maxximum » Logged

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: January 25, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »

Re: Mass Effect: Right. That was Noveria. Completely slipped my mind. That wasn't a bad puzzle, I got the gist of it pretty fast though. I love puzzles in games.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: