Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327891 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 390417 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2685 on: March 14, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »

I bought Journey.
I played it.
Beat it.

This game is seriously way too short, and I'll actually call that a hamper to how I recommend it.
It IS unique, it has NEVER been done, and it is GORGEOUS.  No doubt about it, I guess that's why the asking price doesn't make me feel bad -- and I pretty much missed every achievement other than "meet X amount of players" and "beat the game".  The ending was *amazingly* done, and makes you "o"-face for sure, but I thought the wrap up (during credits) was... meh.

Some players are cocks, they'll leave you and just come and go.  But some you can...bond with and without saying a goddamn thing other than that weird in-game "tone-language".  It's amazing how they really make you benefit from working together, and since everyone looks the same, there's this weird point where two people just start working together.

I'll play it again, get the achievements that I can.  Some of the ones you're supposed to do with a buddy are going to be realllly tricky since you cannot actually communicate.

8/10.

But the BEST 8/10 ever, if that makes sense.
+ Gorgeous
+ Never been done
+ Less is MUCH more

- Too fucking short
- Travelling by foot is lengthy and annoying.
- Replaying the last level (too long, you essentially walk through it)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:54:26 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2686 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

I wish my femshep would sit down like a lady when she has her cocktail dress on.

Since I'm spoiling myself rotten these days I got ANOTHER headset this one for the 360. That's right... I got another one b/c I can't be bothered to unhook all the wires from the ps3 and bring them  a room over for the 360. That being said... ME3 sounds fucking fabulous coming from something besides weak tv speakers.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2687 on: March 14, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »

That's not lazy, that's utilization of available technology...well, maybe a little lazy but who am I to talk, I have a PS2 in the bedroom and another in the living room, lol

Everything's Eventual
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2688 on: March 14, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

Ok, so i'm enjoying infinite undiscovery way more then I thought I would. So whats with the "easy" female characters? idk
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2689 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:09 AM »

I got the BAD END and Finnel normal ends in Ar Tonelico 3. Time to continue onto act 4 and have fun with the 3rd reyvateil.

I guess I found my own little controversial game to love because I adored every single minute of AT3 up to now.
I mean, the only problem I have with the game is that it saves twice when you save... that's like the most minor problem ever.
Ok, and sometimes the controls are a bit irresponsive, but nothing deadly.

---

No sense in double posting so I'll just update this.

I've finished the game completely and still loved the hell out of it. Personally, I'd say if you're able to ignore or even enjoy the glaring fanservice in the game, you're looking at like a 86%. Then again, I can understand how some people can really take offense from the game.
Also, I'm unsure why people bashed the story. It was an interesting tale. The last hour even feels pretty epic.
Most weaker points of the story I found were better explained in the Glossary, Character Profiles and Monster Catalog.

Final tidbit? It's hilarious how many women wear high heels in this game.

---

Now I get to start Tales of Graces F. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:20:38 PM by Annubis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2690 on: March 17, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »

Journey is fucking awful :(

Oh wait you meant the game.

Anyway, still messing with fighting games. I played KoF99 a bit last night. I don't really have a good handle on how to approach weaponless fighting games. It's like, with weapons, you have a clear striking area and a clear blocking area. This is sort of more nebulous in weaponless games which I guess really adds complexity but I am a dumb.

---edit---

Watched a video of how to play KoF99 properly. It pretty much lost me.

Also goddammit this would be a great night for cracking open a window and playing Legend of Mana in the cool breeze except my copy isn't on me. Also a great night for playing my DS outside except that's also not goddamn on me :<

---edit2---

Finished Kilia Shrine in Granstream Saga.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:40:23 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2691 on: March 18, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »

Journey is fucking awful :(

Oh wait you meant the game.

Anyway, still messing with fighting games. I played KoF99 a bit last night. I don't really have a good handle on how to approach weaponless fighting games. It's like, with weapons, you have a clear striking area and a clear blocking area. This is sort of more nebulous in weaponless games which I guess really adds complexity but I am a dumb.

You have the basic idea of footsies and zoning.  It's basically the same thing for weaponless games except you replace weapons with limbs.  There's more to know and react to though since you have many different normals (A, B, C, cr.A, etc) also have jumping abilities to take into consideration too.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2692 on: March 18, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »

God of War II - I had an itch to play something short and actiony. I think I'm over RPGs. :(

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2693 on: March 18, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

Weird coincidence: I'm in the midst of three space RPGs.  Mass Effect 3 on PS3, Star Ocean: Second Evolution on PSP, and Anachronox on PC (gog.com version). 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2694 on: March 19, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

@Dice: Thanks for the review Dice! Just bought a $50 PSN card and is going to get wasted for DLC along with Journey and maybe Limbo.

Currently playing Vanquish again with the DLC weapons. The Anti-Armor Pistol is amazing, shooting robots never felt this good. <3
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2695 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »

@Dice: Thanks for the review Dice! Just bought a $50 PSN card and is going to get wasted for DLC along with Journey and maybe Limbo.

Currently playing Vanquish again with the DLC weapons. The Anti-Armor Pistol is amazing, shooting robots never felt this good. <3

I recommend Limbo as well if not for sheer shock value.  The sub-text in it's "plot" is also quite deep (you'll stfu when the "ending sequence" starts).
It's achievements are stupid though, and it's difficulty can make a second-run of it less appealing, unlike Journey which is quick, simple, and beautiful time and time again...

minor spoiler
getting the "white-robe", for collecting all symbols and glyphs, gives you a longer flying time and it recharges on its own, definitely makes the replay for the sake of replay quite high.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2696 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »

Just finished Journey and those were $15 well spent there. Is pretty similiar to Flower in a way but is hard to say which is better, I love both games a lot.

And I hope they put the soundtrack on sale on the store like they did with Flower. Buying that soundtrack on day 1.

About Limbo, I should buy it as well since I enjoyed the demo. So what the hell... I'm buying it now. I can wait a little longer to get another PSN card to get all the silly DLC for The King of Fighters XIII.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2697 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »

I haven't downloaded Journey yet, because I still haven't beaten Skyward Sword! This game is too damn long. 72 hours and counting.
I
Code:
I finished the Triforce dungeon, then got up to the fight with Ghirahim(sp?) He gets crazy hard once he pulls out his sword. I did zero damage, and died pathetically. I kep trying to stab that hole in his chest, but it wasn't registering for some reason. Fucking waggle! I am SO sick of it.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2698 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

Been watching a walkthrough of Silent Hill Downpour on YouTube. Is decent, but the fact that it has the Silent Hill name slapped in the box is something that Konami has to stop doing.

What's annoying is that not many people even know about how Silent Hill has been literally dead since 2003. Not that they should care anyway, but sometimes is nice to know in what you are wasting you money on. Either way, if anyone is intrigued with the "new Silent Hill" just go with no expectations whatsoever. Trust me you'll enjoy it more that way and besides if you ignore the fact that it's called Sillent Hill you might even like it.

Though, is bothersome to me how mediocre the dialog is. It does have a few (and I mean just a few) nice moments but overall everything comes in the form of a character cursing or trying to sound mysterious and creepy when they really are just achieving to make me roll my eyes at best.

So yeah, is a mixed bag but is not entirely horrible. Also just wanted to mention this real quick; Ninja Gaiden 3 is horrible.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2699 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

Just got :

Dragon Age Origins : Ultimate Edition
Rage
Arkham City
GTA4

All new from Amazon. Not sure which to play first, prolly DA:Origins is first on the list. After I play those and maybe Dragons Dogma, I think its time to sell my ps3 and all remaining games for a gaming PC.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: