Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341234 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 455904 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3180 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

I can't remember if FF8 was good anymore.  I downloaded it, but battles take soo long that exploiting and making it easy may be the only way I plan to beat it.

After the first two hours or so, basically any non-boss battle can be finished in the space of one turn. You don't HAVE to exploit FFVIII to make it easy.

But I spend 50 turns drawing his new shiny spell -_-
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3181 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »

I seriously do not understand the hate Dragon Age II received. 30 hours in and I love this game!

Everything's Eventual
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3182 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »

I can't remember if FF8 was good anymore.  I downloaded it, but battles take soo long that exploiting and making it easy may be the only way I plan to beat it.

After the first two hours or so, basically any non-boss battle can be finished in the space of one turn. You don't HAVE to exploit FFVIII to make it easy.
I never beat it because it got too hard. Apparently, I wasn't "playing it right". Relied too much on Guardians, and my characters ended up way too weak somehow. I imagine I could coast through it today, but back then I was confused because it was so different than all the other FFs before it.
I seriously do not understand the hate Dragon Age II received. 30 hours in and I love this game!
Dude, don't do that! I already scratched it off my list of "games to play". Sometimes I'm relieved when a game I'm anticipating turns out to be bunk. I prefer having only a couple games on the list at a time. I really DID want to play this early on, even despite the mediocre reviews. Then a bunch of people here convinced me otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:30:07 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3183 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »

Hey, I've been defending Dragon Age 2 from the start, though sometimes it feels like I'm the only one.  There are definitely some aspects of it that are rushed (like the constant reuse of the same couple of dungeons maps, that's just inexcusable), but for the most part I really like what it was trying to do.  It's a very political story, which is a good point in my book.  I actually like political stories.  And I like how they focused on showing how a given area and characters changed over time, which is a nice change of pace from most RPGs.

Unfortunately it did start to piss me off a bit in the endgame because
Code:
Basically you're forced to make a choice between the two factions, but by they [i]both[/i] pull stupid bullshit at the end that made me not want to support either...where was the "let them kill each other, I'm outta here" option.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3184 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »

I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3185 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

I never beat it because it got too hard. Apparently, I wasn't "playing it right". Relied too much on Guardians, and my characters ended up way too weak somehow. I imagine I could coast through it today, but back then I was confused because it was so different than all the other FFs before it.

The exact same thing happened to me. I got to the part where a boss sucks in one of your characters and she becomes part of it or something (its been a really long time) and you cant use your Summons because it hurts your character to. I relied way to much on my GFs.

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3186 on: June 22, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »

Two Worlds II after rage quitting 3 times because I couldn't win some stupid horse race (terrible ...TERRIBLE controls) I started playing Batman Arkham Asylum. Fun as hell
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3187 on: June 22, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »

The exact same thing happened to me. I got to the part where a boss sucks in one of your characters and she becomes part of it or something (its been a really long time) and you cant use your Summons because it hurts your character to. I relied way to much on my GFs.

Yeah, it's amazing just how far the game is willing to let you go despite your playing it wrong. Incidentally that's the last fight of disk 3. But you were probably not that off in terms of being able to deal with Adel if you work on respecing your Junctions and stick to limit breaks. Plus I believe you're in a good place to card some high end fools which you can refine for high end loot if you need it and if you've been doing all the sidequests up until that point you can easily just buy your way out with the shop command and refine tents for maximum Curagas or something. And if you've been using Zell or Ivrene you can easily wreck Adel with their limit breaks (hopefully you spent most of Sefier's last stand drawing the hell out of his Aura spells and for Ivrene at least had built up a solid supply of Pulse Ammo).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3188 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »

Sadly I have not played the game since it came out all those years ago, So I would have to start all over again. I had a strange habit of getting really far in all the FF but never finishing them, something I have only recently started to rectify. I would like to re-play 8 though. I think being older I could understand the system better and use it to my advantage, instead of just using GFs all the time because I thought they looked totally bad ass.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3189 on: June 22, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »

I think one of the worse aspects of FFVIII is how the tutorials were handle.

Back then when Square Enix were doing remakes like crazy for the DS and PSP I thought if they could make a remake of FFVIII and make it "better". Because the game itself is not really bad, it just has a lot problems.

Then again, FFVIII was an experiment after the big success of FFVII. Squaresoft felt that if they wanted to make another game as big as FFVII they had to change everything and play around with some ideas, and for that FFVIII is one of the most alienating games in the series.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3190 on: June 22, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

I actually really admire square for taking such an experimental approach to FF8. They could have easily repeated the formula and made a ton, but they chose to really tinker with things. Its kind of like The Beach Boys releasing Smiley smile after Pet sounds. Sure it did not all work, and it was pretty strange, but It sure is interesting, and has some real high points. (I actually think Smiley Smile is great, Smile even better).

You would never see todays Square do such a thing if they hit on a winning formula, FF 13-2 was different simply because the first was in the eyes of many, a failure.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3191 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

Yeah, it's amazing just how far the game is willing to let you go despite your playing it wrong. Incidentally that's the last fight of disk 3. But you were probably not that off in terms of being able to deal with Adel if you work on respecing your Junctions and stick to limit breaks. Plus I believe you're in a good place to card some high end fools which you can refine for high end loot if you need it and if you've been doing all the sidequests up until that point you can easily just buy your way out with the shop command and refine tents for maximum Curagas or something. And if you've been using Zell or Ivrene you can easily wreck Adel with their limit breaks (hopefully you spent most of Sefier's last stand drawing the hell out of his Aura spells and for Ivrene at least had built up a solid supply of Pulse Ammo).

I was in the same situation as Grim and Pmayo when I originally played it when it first came out.  I got stuck on Adel and couldn't really beat her as I didn't have enough stuff to junction my characters I guess.  As for Seif, if their save was anything like mine was, their characters weren't strong enough to draw for too long before they would get killed.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3192 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »

I was in the same situation as Grim and Pmayo when I originally played it when it first came out.  I got stuck on Adel and couldn't really beat her as I didn't have enough stuff to junction my characters I guess.  As for Seif, if their save was anything like mine was, their characters weren't strong enough to draw for too long before they would get killed.

Strength is mostly a non factor in FFVIII. All you really need is to properly junction your GFs so that all the major stats are covered on your main three party members. HP, Strength, Vitality, Magic, and Spirit. Cover those with the highest value spells available and you should be solid. Remember you can pass around spells between characters so put all your best spells onto your three man team along with every GF you have (GFs and spells do you no good on the bench).

Next you need to check your junctionable abilities and passives. You'll want things like Str +50 or 70%, Spd +30 or 50% Auto Haste, Auto Protect, Auto Potion, Auto Shell, Auto Reflect (because honestly you're never going to be casting a spell on your people unless it's Aura or Curaga), Mag +50%, Vit +50%, Spr +50%, HP +50% ect.... These are honestly more important than what junctioning spells to your stats does for you. Junction your GFs so that as many of your 3 man team gets at least Ability x3.

Elemental Defense, Status Defense, and Status Attack are your next concern. Almost every offensive spell in the game has an element to it. Every percent placed on your Elemental Defense is a percent of the total incoming damage from magic made either null or to serve you. Your top spells should be distributed to either Strength or your Elemental Defense (DPS wants Str while Vending Machines want Elem Def x4). Aim to distribute Elem Defs as evenly as possible. Status Defense should be treated with emphasis on major nuisances such as Stone, Sleep, Silence, Death, Confuse, Berserk, Stop, and Zombie. Shit like Poison and Blind are ignorable and Slow can be countered with Haste at least. Status Attack is a fun thing though. Unlike Elemental Attack, Status Attack isn't nearly as prone to blowing up in your face as Elemental Attack (and with a hard and easily reached damage cap of 9999 there's little reason to go for elemental damage after disk 2). Pick something fun like Pain, Death, Break, Zombie, or Drain to stick on your weapons and watch your enemies randomly go bye bye.

And finally, getting magics in the first place. First thing to note is that Magic determines how successful you are at drawing from enemies as well as it influences how much you gain from enemies and draw points. This is, however, a moot point since most of your magic should be coming from *** Refine where *** equals whatever magic you're currently looking for. These should've been your highest priority when you were going through the game and acquiring APs. Boost, GF Max HP^%, and Summon Mag^% are mostly worthless on later GFs (unless your GF's name is Doom Train) and are probably safely overwritten with abilities taught to your GFs. And getting back to getting magic, Card Mod is the best place for anything, magic or otherwise. See, what Card Mod does is it allows you to make items out of cards. Most of these items can then be further refined into magic or ingredients for upgrading weapons and making ammo. Additionally cards can easily be won from card playing chumps if you understand how to play Triple Triad and aren't playing with Plus and Difference rules which suck (granted playing with All is the best but it sucks in trying to keep it in regions). Furthermore the game is inundated with card playing chumps so you really shouldn't have had too much trouble in keeping a healthy supply of cards flowing into your Card Mod.

However from the sounds of the previous posts, I suspect that you haven't done this. Fortunately you still have options if you don't give a shit about 100% completion. I'm going to highlight a list of suggestions that should get you past Adel and the Sorceress Rush afterwords.

- If you have Tonberry and have Call Shop learned, use it to buy potions, magazines, and Refine fodder. If you don't have him, don't sweat it.
- If you have Doom Train, stick it on the party member with the highest affinity and lead off the fight with it. If not, use Meltdown. These inflict a status effect that drops enemy defense to 0 and little resists this (though given the fight you're fighting you'd probably be better off junctioning Meltdown to somebody's Stat Att instead).
- Look at your GF cards and your inventory and use Card Mod to get the items that you think will best suit your needs. High level cards can net you some very swank Refine fodder.
- Remember, at this point, whomever isn't on your active team should be considered for all intents and purposes to be permabenched. Anything still on them is either in storage or is a wasted resource.
- The caveat to the above is if you were using Zell before you put the game down for the long long goodbye since you'll probably want to swap him out for somebody with an easier to use limit break (although if you got stuck here you probably weren't using him to begin with).
- Have somebody with high DPS/Str stick as many Drains on their Stat Att slot if they have it. With high Spd and good Stat Def you'll have somebody who's effectively immortal.
- Cerberus is a good GF to use if you want to burn magic in a hurry. And don't be afraid of burning junctioned magic either, there's always more where that came from and there's nothing like Triple casting Curaga, Flare, and Hastaga for a quick turn around.

With the bullet list above you shouldn't have any trouble taking out Adel in one or two attempts. This game is incredibly easy to bend over your knee thanks to the developers' short sighted desire to rewrite the rules of JRPGs without actually changing anything meaningful, and then implementing a minigame that basically handed you the keys to the gameplay system on a silver platter.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3193 on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »

In FFVIII, most magic should be refined from monster parts. Incidentally, if you feel like grinding fish on the beach outside of Balamb Gardens for the space of ten minutes, you can basically have all of your strength junctions taken care of for the rest of the game. Also Quistis has some limit break you get early on that instant deaths any enemy, including a lot of bosses apparently.

Also the main reason GF spamming is useful isn't because they do a ton of damage but because they're basically free meatshields that are impossible to actually kill until like, the last two major boss battles in the game.

I didn't really think FFVIII was that experimental, tbh. It's just FFVI's espers with aspects of Materia and FFV's jobs mushed into them.

I am surprised at how useful a lot of the options in FFV are though, by the way. I just did the flying Earth Crystal ship, and Bard and Mediator skills ended up being INCREDIBLY helpful. Bards not being quite like, Wizardry 7 levels of dangerous, but mass charming is still really useful. Especially for getting your blue mages spells.

Also signed a mercenary contract in Mount and Blade.

idk i Slept early last night because sinus headache + too goddamn hot in my apartment. I REALLY need to do laundry.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3194 on: June 23, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »

arkham asylum is tons of fun, despite batman being reduced to (in the first act anyway) a guy that does nothing more but say "i'll get you Joker!"

Despite that... probably one of the best portrayals of The Joker ever. And that's saying a lot. Whomever did the VA for The Riddler nailed the fuck out of that too.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: