Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329273 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 396815 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3360 on: July 15, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

high as a kite. rowing a boat around venice.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3361 on: July 15, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »

I'm sure allot of you have played through DAO2, I'm finding the missions are getting really out of sync and as much as i'm enjoying this title, I kind of want it to end. Basically, nothing is making much sense after 30 hours. Picked up FF13 Limited ed for the 360 for $15, it is complete with art book, stickers and cards. I've got it on PS3 already but thought i'd give the 360 version a shot, I think i'll actually play it through. Well thats after Dungeon Seige 3 and witcher 2
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3362 on: July 16, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »

Been playing Dragon Quest IV DS for the Past few days. Currently on Chapter 4. Capter 3 was great, and makes up for the last two chapters being mediocre. If it can stay this good, this might be the first Dragon Quest game I actually enjoyed.

Well, chapter 4 at least was still good. Not as good as 3, but still pretty good. We'll see if the next chapter still holds up.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3363 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

The fifth chapter is longer than the first four put together.  It's the real meat of the game.  I always liked DQ IV; I hope you enjoy the remainder.

Got my first Esper in FF XII, and I gave it to Balthier.  I kinda felt obligated to since Ashe tricked him into thinking that there was a real treasure in the tomb.  I'm delighted at the numerous similarities to FF Tactics I'm noticing. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3364 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:50 AM »

Things moving along quite well in Final Fantasy XII.  I'm ~10 hours in with six party members, I've done a bunch of marks, and I'm about to cross the desert into the tomb of an ancient king.  License Board isn't my favorite thing ever, but the combat is better than I expected and I like the guild framework they use for sidequests (it's totally ubiquitous now, but it still works).  I doubt I'll see this thing through to get every weapon and summon and bounty, but I'll get some decent mileage out of it before the credits roll.

One word of advice on the subject of getting everything in FFXII. DON'T.

Seriously. Its ridiculously easy to screw yourself over due to all the arbitrary bullshit the game pulls. The Zodiac Spear may be the most blatant act of easily missable loot but it's not the worst. During the game you'll come across an accessory called the Diamond Armlet that supposedly boosts the value of the treasure in a chest, but after a while it'll start doing the opposite, making it impossible to get the true reward in a chest. This is especially true in regards to rare, one-time only chests found in the penultimate dungeon. And then there's the loot that can be gotten during one-time only fights.

FFXII was way too literal in its borrowing from MMORPGs.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3365 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

Just got to the Sea thats above Rik'si village, and wow, its just an amazing landscape. Is this the most beautiful game ever?

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3366 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

One word of advice on the subject of getting everything in FFXII. DON'T.

Seriously. Its ridiculously easy to screw yourself over due to all the arbitrary bullshit the game pulls. The Zodiac Spear may be the most blatant act of easily missable loot but it's not the worst. During the game you'll come across an accessory called the Diamond Armlet that supposedly boosts the value of the treasure in a chest, but after a while it'll start doing the opposite, making it impossible to get the true reward in a chest. This is especially true in regards to rare, one-time only chests found in the penultimate dungeon. And then there's the loot that can be gotten during one-time only fights.

Here is a bit of perspective for the sake of anyone who didn't play it:

- In the Secret area of a dungeon resides the best summon and possibly the best gear in the game.
- The chests containing the best gear can only drop said gear upon their first opening (after that it's random crap)
- The odds of said chest to give you the item you want (and not something like... an elixir) is somewhere around 0.12%
- As Moonson said, the item to increase the odds of good items in chest makes the best items impossible to drop (and the game does not mention this anywhere)

Now, the chests themselves are usually quite far into the dungeon, which is pretty hard (as in can't rush there, gotta travel slowly killing monsters) and there are no save points at all. As such, loading and going back to the chest is about a 10-minute job.

FFXII really missed the mark with the ultimate gear.
Those % would be fine in an MMO if and only if the content could be attempted over and over; not a single-player game with only one attempt.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3367 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

The fifth chapter is longer than the first four put together.  It's the real meat of the game.  I always liked DQ IV; I hope you enjoy the remainder.

Aw, this is the last chapter? I was kinda hoping I'd do this chapter then save the last chapter for another time. I'm not ready to stop, though, so I guess I'll have to play through this chapter as far as I can go.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3368 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »

Re FF XII stuff: I had heard of the Zodiac Spear and similar stories, but wasn't aware it got that bad! I wasn't planning on doing any endgame or postgame loot hunts to begin with (mostly want to cross the game off my backlog list more than anything), but now I definitely won't.  Out of curiosity, what equipment are you referring to? I have a big license board poster and I'd like to know what I definitely won't be getting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:29:24 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3369 on: July 16, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »

Just don't play FFXII with a collect-100%-of-everything mentality and you'll be fine.  It's not like you actually need any of that crap.

It's worth doing hunts though, because not only are they fun but there's some story that goes along with the later ones.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3370 on: July 16, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.  I don't think I'm going to change my gameplan or expectations.  I'll just do what hunts and find what Espers I come across.  Won't be grinding for postgame superweapons or anything. 

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3371 on: July 16, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

Just don't play FFXII with a collect-100%-of-everything mentality and you'll be fine.  It's not like you actually need any of that crap.

It's worth doing hunts though, because not only are they fun but there's some story that goes along with the later ones.

I remember at some rank you get access to some sort of accessory you can buy from the guild hunt shop (or w/e) that can basically inflict every status ailment in the game at once (as long as they aren't immune to that ailment) on an enemy with a remedy.  It's crazy good.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3372 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

I kinda wanna grab the game.... conflicting feels arise.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3373 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

The only thing I actually liked about FFXII was the monster hunting. The rest was just pretty bad and grindy.

(The prior excludes Yazma. F you Yazma... you win the biggest damage sponge of all time award.)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3374 on: July 16, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »

Well now, Ys Origin certainly isn't what I was expecting it to be.  I feel like I'm climbing Tartarus again in Persona 3.  It's a good thing I enjoy dungeon crawlers.

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: