Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 04:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338067 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 442657 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3630 on: September 08, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »

I liked Mega Man ZX Advent, though I remember it being rediculously difficult, even when I was still good at action games. I guess it was no harder than the Zero games, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3631 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »

I think the ZX games are considered Zero games? IDK. Sort of want the first one too but everything indicates Advent is better.

World 2 of Starfy introduces block 'puzzles'. Levels are large and explorable but you only ever find useless treasure chests and money, which buys you costumes, which have no gameplay purpose. This DID get good reviews so maybe it picks up, but... bah.

---

Oh god neglected to get the Colonel's weakness in MMX4 Ffffffffffff.

Also I somehow got a fifth heart tank?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:56:42 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3632 on: September 09, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »

I've only played the first ZX.  If you play it without trying to get the boss rewards undamaged, it's easy.  If you do the "avoid the weak point" bit for the best rewards, then holy Shinto those boss fights get frustrating. 

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3633 on: September 09, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »

I still have the first ZX sitting on the shelf un-started. I wanted to get to it bad but the Zero collection kicked my ass something fierce and I got discouraged-lol.... I really wanted to move into ZX after finishing the Zero titles, but i just suck waaaay to much at platformers to stand a shot with those titles..... Would I be completely lost in ZX without having finished the Zero's?

And yes, I am aware there is an "easy" mode... however they erroneously made easy mode so freakin easy it plays itself practically.... your Zero comes pre-upgraded and all... talk about boring....

On a completely different note I finally finished earthbound about a month ago (gee golly its been awhile since I posted in here....) WHAT A FREAKIN' CREEPY END GAME DUNGEON/BOSS/SOUNDTRACK!!!! And after losing to the final baddy some odd dozen times or so, I almost decided to make myself a trophy in photoshop to put up on facebook when I finally figured out that
Code:
using the prayer command of paula's was the only way to win
.... What a maserpiece of a game though.... completing this one really brought some closure....

In other news I tried dot hack infection and totally fell in love.... backlogged Growlanser 4, the last leg of Hyperdimension Neptunia and Agarest 2 to give some time to .hack..... totally loving it....

Lastly, I got myself a DS XL and couldnt resist trying out FF Theatrerythym (yea, I spelled that wrong... I'm sorry).. you guys who were going on about how addictive this title was (a few weeks ago) were totally on the money... I hate rythym games, but this is a FF fans nostalgic wet dream.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3634 on: September 10, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »

The big problem with the ZX series was that it wanted to be another Metroidvania clone which was a genre transition too far. Namely because one of the biggest tenets for the genre is having something to find for your exploration, even if it's just 5 extra missiles to add to the pile, and there really wasn't anything like that introduced into ZX. In either game there's a grand total of 4 Health ups, 4 Subtanks, 8 ability chips, 6 random miscellaneous items ranging from things like bread and cake to a classic series E & W-Tank to collect, and a bunch of useless data files and key items related to sidequests which would likely net you one of those ability chips, in-game currency, or more useless data files/key items.

ZXA was a bit better than that by making you go out and find 4 Biometal ups instead of making you play 'guess the second hitbox that contains your prize from beating the boss that gets worse when you hit said hitbox' (at least one of the Models shows you where to not strike but all the non ZX related models suck in this game) as well as a few extra equipables (but they were regulated to a monthly rotation thingy instead of having to go out and find them).

Beyond that though there's little else in regards to extras. ZX1 had a single secret area that hosts a boss rush and an extra Biometal (that's even more ridiculous than Model ZX) for a reward for clearing it (but this requires making use of your GBA slot and MMZeroes 3 & 4) and a NG+ option to refuse Model Z and keep Model X as your default Biometal. ZXA only had Model a (not to be confused with Model A which is the default model) as a NG+ extra but is a royal pain in the ass to get as you need to clear every medal challenge against every boss (including, among other things, fighting a boss with nothing but your Giga Crush attack which either sucks or sucks harder, based on your character's gender, and takes forever to refill or longer if you've collected any of the Biometal ups by that point).

As for difficulty ZX1 is the easier of the two due to the fact that your default Biometals are based upon X and Zero respectfully and are both quite powerful in their own rights and are not hamstrung by Biometal (re:weapon) energy, whereas the other Models, while decently powerful, are largely overshadowed by the aforementioned two in everything but their gimmick. Plus you can ignore the Boss weakpoint gimmick and have your Biometals repaired later. Meanwhile ZXA is the harder of the two because Model A sucks and you don't really get a better Biometal than it outside of Model ZX which comes later. Also Albert is an ass and is stupidly difficult no matter which form you take.

Also for those wondering if you're missing anything by not playing through the X/Zero/Legends series, you kinda are. The ZX games were pretty much setting themselves up to be the bridge that connects the rest of the time line to the Legends series (at this point in the franchise the line distinguishing between human and reploid no longer exists which fits with Legends 2 revelation that pure humans no longer existed and that all the people you meet are artificial lifeforms). Moreover there's a ton of callbacks to what went down during the X/Zero series (spoilers obviously)
Code:
Eurasia which gets colony dropped in X5 (and was supposedly the end of the Maverick Wars) was kept quarantined throughout the Elf Wars (which was supposed to be a nebulous series of events but ended up getting twisted around to make room for a later X game that'll never happen) winds up recuperating to the point where both human and reploid life was sustainable which is really handy for everyone after Neo Arcadia (which was the place where humans gathered up during the Elf Wars) got nuked in Zero 3 except for a rear end in a top hat from the Elf Wars (and quite possibly further back) named Dr. Weil who decides to take the scorched earth approach to Eurasia with an orbital laser during Zero 4 but Zero puts a stop to that by taking down the laser (but doesn't get off in time and dies for the third time). The ZX games takes place a ways into the future where a bunch of Mavericks are showing up again and people are using Biometals to become Megamen (in a retardedly anime sort of way) based upon the major Reploids of the past (namely the four guardians) except for Models A, X, and Z which are all copies based upon Model W which was likely created by Dr. Weil or one of his progenitors and everyone who's using them is all his progeny.

For those who don't want to see me :goonsay: all you need to know is that ZX1 is basically MMX1 but preceded by the events of the Zero series, succeeded by the Legends series, and containing a lot more stupid anime bullshit than either combined. All I remember of ZXA's plot was an obsession with booty, "NO! You are the Model Ws! And then they were the Model Ws.", and Albert being an asshole while Thomas was secretly an even bigger asshole and Model Z being up to something.

Also admittedly, this guy was right in regards to this series since it was trying to be both 'kiddy merchandise shilling anime bullshit' and 'chapter in long running video game franchise trying to appeal to fans who are in their 20s more or less'. Had the third game came out it probably would've straightened itself out (or at least figured out whether it wanted to be a true Metroidvania or not), but like I said many time in this overly long post 'that's all irrelevant now'.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3635 on: September 10, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »

Playing Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
There is nothing that feels better than kicking ass in the game when hordes of enemies are trying to fuck you. And unlike Dream Drop, it doesn't take an hour to level up a single skill....

I got The Last Story (trades!).  The controls... are kinda poopy, is attacking automatic or controlled??  Everything else is pretty nice and some of the boss battle are quite the event. 

Also... Do I force myself to trade in items to Gamestop so I can get a replica of the Assassin's Creed hidden blade gauntlet??? :(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3636 on: September 10, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »

Also admittedly, this guy was right in regards to this series since it was trying to be both 'kiddy merchandise shilling anime bullshit' and 'chapter in long running video game franchise trying to appeal to fans who are in their 20s more or less'.

That was never the problem. The thing here is that Capcom has made perfectly clear in the last few years that they want their games to sell an obscene amount of copies and Mega Man nowadays doesn't fill that role anymore. Not to mention that they don't seem to know what to do with the franchise now that it has been put aside for Street Fighter and Resident Evil, games that reach the amount of copies that they want to sell.

I also understand that your average Mega Man fan is older... though, that varies by generation really.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3637 on: September 10, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »

I got The Last Story (trades!).  The controls... are kinda poopy, is attacking automatic or controlled??  Everything else is pretty nice and some of the boss battle are quite the event. 

I think I read somewhere that you have to go into options to turn off auto, I think.  Or something along those lines.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3638 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

Trying to get the 3000 balls pachinko trophy in Yakuza 4. I spent 2 hours being totally unlucky. I think I'm getting luckier though because I'm at 4800 and in a bonus mode.
Stupid patchinko minigame.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3639 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »

49% of the demon compendium in Strange Journey, just entered Fornax region. Interested to see how high I can get it by the end.

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3640 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »

Got the Falcon Armor in MMX5. Also I have the heart tanks from Dark Dizzy and The Skiver's stages and no other heart tanks. Just noting that for my own future reference.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3641 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »

I't's kinda funny how it too me 2 years to actually give Infinite Space another try. I'm loving the game this time, it's a great space opera, there's a likable cast (points for Yuri actually using his head and being a sober MC) and the characters portraits have a nice style to them. Too bad the anime cutscenes aren't done in the same way.

I'm exploring the Magellanic Stream. The Flux was incredible creepy, even with the poor graphics.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3642 on: September 11, 2012, 07:03:50 AM »

Just got to the City in the Sky in Zelda: Twilight Princess. Best three dungeons over the weekend after a long hiatus. Gonna try and finish the game this week - I'm almost done, right?

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3643 on: September 11, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »

Dust - This thing is pretty long for an Arcade game. I'm hovering around 15 hours in.
Story revelations last night. Sure didn't see that coming. Seems I'm actually getting close to the end. I'll do a bit of treasure hunting, then move on. The fighting HAS gotten a bit repetitive over all this time, but it remains entertaining.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3644 on: September 11, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »

My, my, Cloud. You're so forward.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: