Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332936 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 418799 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3990 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »

Restarted Final Fantasy VI again and I plan on actually finishing it this time. Beginning went by really fast, but I had forgotten how obnoxious this game could be. Way too many random encounters! The world map doesn't work well with Mode 7, especially when on a chocobo. And when you play this right after Ogre Battle, those real time strategy segments look (and play) pathetic.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3991 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »

http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3992 on: November 26, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »

So I just bought Analogue: A Hate Story at -75% on Steam.
I've heard so many conflicting opinions on that visual novel I might as well try it and see... especially if it's 2.50$.

EDIT #1: That is one awesome interface o_O *drools*

EDIT #2: So this game is a sci-fi about the bad treatment of women in Korea? The shit did I just buy???

EDIT #3: Well, I got the boring ending already. Seems you can finish whenever you want a la Chrono Trigger. Just that it's a boring ending if you do it right at the start.

EDIT #4: I just debugged a nuclear reactor in DOS. I can see why some people would hate doing that, but for me it's a blast from the past to the old DOS days.

EDIT #5: Holy hell! I just got one of the real endings and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn... this thing is extreme o_O I'm glad I'm not a North Korean woman...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:32:51 AM by Annubis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3993 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »

Geneforge: Found Pixley, explored a bit of the Hill of Jars, got some new canisters, and did the Pentil Plains Gate blockade quest.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3994 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

The Radiant Historia playthrough goes smoothly now.  I do find the combat system a bit tedious in certain battles, but I suppose that applies to most turn-based RPGs.  With much reluctance I gave up on the Assassin's Creed series (for now) after I finished 2 and popped the Jak and Daxter collection into the PS3.  The game started a bit slowly and I was tempted to skip straight to 2 or 3, but I persevered and pretty quickly found myself having a lot of fun between the fascinating world designs and the way that the game is structured to benefit a compulsive item collector such as myself but not drive me insane with too much crap to collect.  I'm impressed with the seamless worlds, too, given the time the game out, and the way the game avoids too much repetitive game play.  Based on the percentage number on screen they decided to take a 'short and sweet' approach with this game, perhaps to help avoid repetition.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:55:47 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3995 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

The Radiant Historia playthrough goes smoothly now.  I do find the combat system a bit tedious in certain battles, but I suppose that applies to most turn-based RPGs.

I find turn based *extermely* tedious; I respect Radiant and stuff like the Persona series that try to add a spin to it.

I beat Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask.  *VERY* clean ending, everything wrapped up without a single problem and all too perfectly; the story wasn't very crafty this time around, but I liked their little "preview" about what the next game will be about.  This game reminds me a bit of Kingdom Hearts too; story-wise, you're in it for the "grand finale" that tells the most story with the smallest amount of beating-round-the-bush.  Essentially, everything leads to that moment since the revelations during the mid-game segments add up to nothing grand.
I knew Randall was alive after like the first or second time you meet him... His "death scene" was really tragic, certainly brought back the emotional punch that The Unwound Future did.  Randall falls to his supposed death, Layton figures out the final door and see mountains of treasure but feels nothing since he just lost his friend for it... No riches in the world can bring back a lost friend. ;__; .   
I liked the bits with the ancient civilizations though, loved the top-down perspective "puzzle dungeon" and the puzzles in general were grand.  Some of the repeats were tedious though, and I don't really like the puzzles that rely on a drawn picture (some being nothing short of ambiguous with what's being depicted).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:39:31 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3996 on: November 27, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

The Radiant Historia playthrough goes smoothly now.  I do find the combat system a bit tedious in certain battles, but I suppose that applies to most turn-based RPGs.

I find turn based *extermely* tedious; I respect Radiant and stuff like the Persona series that try to add a spin to it.

One thing I greatly appreciate is when a turn-based RPG includes an auto-battle option so you can plough through the average goons more easily.  I'm very glad that Radiant Historia adds that option (in addition to the more obviously nice grid system).
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3997 on: November 27, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »

RC also let's you just whack guys to unconscious if you don't wants to be fight at them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3998 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

EX Troopers is like Okami's visuals with Vanquish's gameplay. (Well similar anyway)

I cannot believe Capcom is not bringing this outside of Japan.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3999 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »

EX Troopers is like Okami's visuals with Vanquish's gameplay. (Well similar anyway)

I cannot believe Capcom is not bringing this outside of Japan.

Capcom are idiots most of the time. What do you expect?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4000 on: November 27, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »

Started Assassination's Creed Brotherhood today, yes I know I am behind, hence deciding to finally play it, so far pretty much like II although I feel Desmond plays a bigger role, at least in the beginning.

Everything's Eventual
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4001 on: November 27, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

Made my way most of the way through Jak and Daxter and then felt the very strong call of Arkham Asylum.  I don't feel too guilty about popping that disc in, J&D seems like an easy pick-up-and-play game for when I get back to it and finish the series.  I can't say much about Arkham Asylum yet but the opening is promising with the fluid combat and interesting atmosphere.  Also reminded me that The Joker is one hell of a villain.

RC also let's you just whack guys to unconscious if you don't wants to be fight at them.

that's another great feature.  Unfortunately they sometimes tend to move faster than my sword. :(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:51:21 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4002 on: November 27, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »

The Radiant Historia playthrough goes smoothly now.  I do find the combat system a bit tedious in certain battles, but I suppose that applies to most turn-based RPGs.

One thing I greatly appreciate is when a turn-based RPG includes an auto-battle option so you can plough through the average goons more easily.  I'm very glad that Radiant Historia adds that option (in addition to the more obviously nice grid system).

It also gets much easier once you get access to traps as they are "I Win" buttons for pretty much every non 3x3 sized enemy in the game (and even then Aht can still deal with those rear ends in top hats thanks to a skill that hits like a dozen times physically and single non-elemental attack spell on top of being one of the best healers in the game).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4003 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »

I felt more safer with Marco than Aht.  Neither were damage sponges, but I can't stand characters who can barely take 2 hits.  Oddly enough, my end party was Raynie, Marco, and Stocke.  But I thought the game did a good hob of making everyone "useful" in some way.  I love when developers can pull that off (what the fuck happened, Chrono Cross!?)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4004 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »

(what the fuck happened, Chrono Cross!?)

Obligatory 'steal' skill + Twin Einlanzers and Mastermune, that's what.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: