Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 08:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329969 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 402945 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4035 on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

Grandia 1 has a brief jungle area right after the wall but nothing substantial there and Grandia 2 only has Mareg's village. Haven't played Grandia 3 or Extreme but I can't imagine them having anything more than one room stuffed with trees for their 'jungle'.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4036 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »

Batman: Arkham Asylum has been pretty impressive.  I've completed the story mode and will probably do a few challenges before moving onto other things.  I'm looking forward to Arkham City when I pick it up.  Meanwhile, I've been plowing through Radiant Historia and I'm nearly done.  Fuck that final dungeon, though.  I hate massive difficulty spikes that require you to grind for several levels to get through the average goons haunting a dungeon when boss battles didn't give you any trouble prior to that.  (Exceptions will be made for post-game stuff once the story is over, of course.)  I'm giving up tonight and will hopefully finish tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:14:54 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4037 on: December 02, 2012, 03:39:51 AM »

Went over to a friend's place to play some Wii U. Mario and Nintendoland are both fun. It's great to see Mario in hd finally and that game is a lot of fun. It doesn't hold a candle to Rayman Origins visually, though.

A fun system but I'd rather hold out for sony/microsoft.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4038 on: December 02, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »

Went over to a friend's place to play some Wii U. Mario and Nintendoland are both fun. It's great to see Mario in hd finally and that game is a lot of fun. It doesn't hold a candle to Rayman Origins visually, though.

A fun system but I'd rather hold out for sony/microsoft.

I was considering buying myself a Wii U for christmas but I never play multi-player and I hate motion-control-oriented games... the Wii had enough classic-controller stuff going for it to satiate it me but I'm torn on the Wii U.... the guys at the gamestop actually talked me out of my purchase of one the other day because of how much I bitched about not being able to play newer Zelda because of how much I can't stand the motion controls..... But gee-golly, does it look like a bright, happy and cheery system....

Is it strange that I buy, wrap and gift presents to myself that I unwrap christmas morning?... LOL

Anyhow.... Klydes strange christmas traditions aside....

I finally beat Alice: Madness Returns!! My token non-RPG of 2012 has been completed! Great freakin' game up until the end.... I feel like the game really takes a nose dive in the dollhouse chapter and then the infernal train and ending felt rushed to point of merely offering conclusion and closure where necessary.... Which is a bummer because the first 3 quarters of the game seemed superb to me....

In the world of Breath of Fire 3 things seem to be becoming grim as well.... I have somehow managed to make this game horribly unbalanced to the point where it seems I must use a party of Ryu, Nina, and Rei or I get decimated..... in contrast, with that party in the "attack" formation (with Ryu at the lead) there isn't much that can stand up to a double attack from Ryu for more then a round or two.... I don't know if this is because of how I played or a flaw in design that makes the attack formation coupled with a high agility party damn near game-breaking..... In either case Garr, Momo and even my super leveled spud  companion (I actually like Peco) are getting really neglected at this point... Making my way through Cear Xhan (yea, I spelled that way wrong.....) ATM.... Maybe its just me, but did this game get a little stale for anyone else around this point?....... 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:54:19 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4039 on: December 02, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

In the world of Breath of Fire 3 things seem to be becoming grim as well.... I have somehow managed to make this game horribly unbalanced to the point where it seems I must use a party of Ryu, Nina, and Rei or I get decimated..... in contrast, with that party in the "attack" formation (with Ryu at the lead) there isn't much that can stand up to a double attack from Ryu for more then a round or two.... I don't know if this is because of how I played or a flaw in design that makes the attack formation coupled with a high agility party damn near game-breaking..... In either case Garr, Momo and even my super leveled spud  companion (I actually like Peco) are getting really neglected at this point... Making my way through Cear Xhan (yea, I spelled that way wrong.....) ATM.... Maybe its just me, but did this game get a little stale for anyone else around this point?....... 

Just keep playing and you'll see.

I was considering buying myself a Wii U for christmas but I never play multi-player and I hate motion-control-oriented games... the Wii had enough classic-controller stuff going for it to satiate it me but I'm torn on the Wii U.... the guys at the gamestop actually talked me out of my purchase of one the other day because of how much I bitched about not being able to play newer Zelda because of how much I can't stand the motion controls..... But gee-golly, does it look like a bright, happy and cheery system....

Is it strange that I buy, wrap and gift presents to myself that I unwrap christmas morning?... LOL

Do you just like wrapping presents?  I'm surprised no one has ever set up a secret santa for the board yet.  I figured Yoda would have set that up awhile ago.  Someone else may be able to correct me, but it seems like the WiiU has less  motion controls somewhat - at least for the person using the giant gamepad during solo play wouldn't be moving all that much.  Might use the gyroscope here and there on the big pad, but otherwise I think you'll be using the Stick/Pad and buttons most of the time.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4040 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »

Oh, and out of curiosity, what is the better Mario 3DS game - NEW SMB2 or Super Mario 3D Land and why do you feel that way?   I can't really decide.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4041 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »

In all honesty both are kinda 'ehh'. You're better off either getting NSMBWii, NSMBU, or one of the Galaxy games.

Unfortunately, at this point you're better off sticking with your party now than trying to change things but know that Nina sucks in this game. You'd been better off with Momo or either of the other two in a Speed Formation with Rei in the lead, but then again no BoF game had a particularly well balanced character selection (save Dragon Quarter by virtue of only having 3 party members).

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4042 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »

Beat borderlands two and jumped into a new game + with a friend that's much higher level than me. ROUGH!

Very fun game. I'll keep playing to max out my lady

Games felled this year:
rage
ico
alan wake
resident evil 5
journey
dragon age 2

amlur
me3
uncharted 2
batsy: arkham asylum
infamous
ass 2
Deus Ex: HR
Darksiders 1
Assassin's Creed: Brothers in the Hood
Blands2
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4043 on: December 02, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »

In all honesty both are kinda 'ehh'. You're better off either getting NSMBWii, NSMBU, or one of the Galaxy games.

Unfortunately, at this point you're better off sticking with your party now than trying to change things but know that Nina sucks in this game. You'd been better off with Momo or either of the other two in a Speed Formation with Rei in the lead, but then again no BoF game had a particularly well balanced character selection (save Dragon Quarter by virtue of only having 3 party members).

Nina *can* be good, but you have to start and get her with a Master RIGHT away. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4044 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »

I guess I should update my games beaten list as well:

1. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
2. Radiant Historia
3. Mass Effect
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (Hard mode)
6. Grandia II
7. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 2
8. Mass Effect 3
9. Journey
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
11. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
12. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
13. Red Dead Redemption
14. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
15. Persona 3 FES
16. Final Fantasy XII
17. DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
18. Super Mario Galaxy
19. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
20. Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi
21. Torchlight II
22. Rogue Galaxy
23. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
24. Okami

All of those are first-time plays except for SML2, BoD7, and FE6.  Right now I'm very, very early in a playthrough of Valkyria Chronicles and messing around with Tales of Graces F with a group of friends.  We only play Tales when all four of us are hanging out, so that one won't wrap until well into 2013. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4045 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »

Been a while since I posted in here. Just started Record of Agaraest War 2. Game seems decent so far. Not a whole lot to comment on so far though.

Just beat Tales of Graces F before this. Nice game generally speaking. I want to get the platinum for it and I have a bunch of 60 second boss trophies left, but I'm tired of the game and don't want to replay through the story again at this moment. I'll hopefully get around to it sometime in the future.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4046 on: December 03, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »

I tried that actually but it made battles too longwinded not having Ryu in the lead of the attack formation... I really can't believe how much stronger that makes him as the point character in battle... his attack is literally triple that of what it is in the speed form.... given I typically need someone doing something other than attacking, I can't make up the power difference with the upped strength of the other characters in the speed form.... Nina works for me with this strategy because I have spent the whole game upping her intelligence and spell-strength does not seem to be reduced in the attack form....

The long and the short of it is I can't even come close to dishing out damage like I can with Ryu on point in attack and Nina casting, whilst Rei is either healing, stealing or supporting... Rei works better than anyone else for me because he always will get his turn before the enemy, thus he can heal before anyone gets whacked again.

I guess I should update my games beaten list as well:

1. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
2. Radiant Historia
3. Mass Effect
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (Hard mode)
6. Grandia II
7. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 2
8. Mass Effect 3
9. Journey
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
11. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
12. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
13. Red Dead Redemption
14. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
15. Persona 3 FES
16. Final Fantasy XII
17. DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
18. Super Mario Galaxy
19. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
20. Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi
21. Torchlight II
22. Rogue Galaxy
23. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
24. Okami

All of those are first-time plays except for SML2, BoD7, and FE6.  Right now I'm very, very early in a playthrough of Valkyria Chronicles and messing around with Tales of Graces F with a group of friends.  We only play Tales when all four of us are hanging out, so that one won't wrap until well into 2013. 

that is a hell of a list.... kudos to you

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4047 on: December 03, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »

I have NSMB Wii and Galaxy 1.  I asked for a 3DS for Christmas so was looking for a game to play on it.  If anyone has any suggestions for 3DS games that are already out, feel free.

Nina isn't too bad if you level her correctly.  Ger her an +int master asap and keep her on it until you can master with Emitai.  Then keep with Emitai until you learn his spells and get your Int and MP pumped up, then pass her off to Deis to learn badass magic.  If you give her the Mind Sword ability, for 2MP she can do great damage pretty easily.  Of course, at this point she's a glass cannon so boosting her up with +Defense seeds helps a ton.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4048 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

I have NSMB Wii and Galaxy 1.  I asked for a 3DS for Christmas so was looking for a game to play on it.  If anyone has any suggestions for 3DS games that are already out, feel free.

Nina isn't too bad if you level her correctly.  Ger her an +int master asap and keep her on it until you can master with Emitai.  Then keep with Emitai until you learn his spells and get your Int and MP pumped up, then pass her off to Deis to learn badass magic.  If you give her the Mind Sword ability, for 2MP she can do great damage pretty easily.  Of course, at this point she's a glass cannon so boosting her up with +Defense seeds helps a ton.

If you enjoyed the Paper Mario games and the writing but don't care about having a major overarching plot then there's Sticker Star.

And you're absolutely right in regards to Nina, unless you're focused and determined to bring her into the endgame it's just not worth using her over Momo or even Peco. I guess I'd take her over Garr but that's not saying much.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4049 on: December 04, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

Peco, again, I hear is a tank... I just don't know if it's ever really worth going through the effort (my general theory being: if you can beat Mikba, you can beat anyone -- even the last boss with ease).
Most seem to boil down to Ryu, Rei, Garr, and Momo.  Momo, as cute and wonderful as she is, made it painful to just *hope* her attack connects sometimes. >_o

Played some Radiant Historia.  I left the DS in my purse and then at some point I guess I reached for something inside and accidentally popped the cartridge out of the system...lost some progress. :(

I wonder what I should play over Winter holiday. :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: