Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319306 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 359317 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4095 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is fun, for whatever reason I am not enjoying it as much as II, still fun but I dunno, just can't seem to get as attached to the story.

I felt the same way. Wait until the final act. blurgh

yep

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4096 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:41 PM »

Played Eador a little bit more. Grinding will get you killed, because you're not really spreading your territory, while the AI is. Also you sort of level up from exploring anyway. I have no idea what to think of this yet but my opinion has shifted back towards positive. Still, most of the NPC quests just involve killing a certain number of monsters, and it's hard to /find/ those monsters.

Trying to build some neat, glass-covered structure in minecraft. I'm having a lot of fun with this though it can get kind of stressful, especially since I built my base on an existing, sizable underground complex. I have weaponry now and I'm working on clearing out the zombies and skeletons that are living next to me, sort of playing the game more like a dungeon crawl than anything. The minimap mod I installed makes things easier.

Geneforge - Started clearing out the tombs. Gonna go back and do some more of that. Anyway. Surprised that the lack of NPC schedules doesn't bug me. Probably because there's no day/night cycle. A lack of npc schedules only looks weird when you have a day/night cycle I guess.

Observation: Every time I start playing an open-ended RPG I want to play Morrowind. No idea why. I like morrowind but what it does is done better, considerably so, elsewhere. Gothic 1 and 2 are a better execution of the core idea, and have actually fun combat and NPC AI to boot. Mount and Blade applies the open-world game concept to military campaigns. Minecraft applies the concept to exploration and world interactivity.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4097 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »

Played through The Walking Dead Episode 1. Wow. This game is fantastic. The characters. The situations. The decisions! I love it. I need to DL Ep. 2 asap.

More progress in Witcher 2. Another incredible game. It's been nonstop mayhem since I decided to pair up with Iorveth. This is one hell of an example of how a great narrative paired up with easy to learn game mechanics, makes for a game you can't stand to turn off. I am wholey addicted.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4098 on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:20 AM »

Played through The Walking Dead Episode 1. Wow. This game is fantastic. The characters. The situations. The decisions! I love it. I need to DL Ep. 2 asap.

Grim, what kind of decisions did you make in Ep. 1?

Code:
I saved Carley and stood up to Larry to get him to back down, but didnt fight him. Also, I saved Duck when the Walkers attacked Hershel's farm.

Just beat Persona 4. It took me 4 years and 2 1/2 tries, but I have finally conquered it. There's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. In sum, I loved it, fantastic game, can't wait for the next entry. I was lvl 84 with 102 hours in.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4099 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »

Grim, what kind of decisions did you make in Ep. 1?

Code:
I saved Carley and stood up to Larry to get him to back down, but didnt fight him. Also, I saved Duck when the Walkers attacked Hershel's farm.

Exact same.
Code:
Carley is just way cooler than Doug was. Although she knows who Lee is, so that could come back to bite him.
That stupid old man punched Lee when we we're trying to leave the Pharmacy! I was so pissed.

I plan on alternating between the 2 games for awhile, since each Ep. in TWD can be played through in +/- 4 hours.
Good gaming times.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4100 on: December 10, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »

I've been hammering through Jak II over the past few days to complete it so that I can start Fallout 3 now that it's arrived.  Jak II is hard, brutally difficult at times, but I wouldn't mind if there were reasonably placed checkpoints.  Unfortunately they're often not there during missions which can mean playing ten + minute sequences, most of which you've already mastered, over and over and OVER again.  It definitely mars an otherwise great game.

Speaking of great games, I started working on Etrian Odyssey III again.  This game is extremely addictive.  There's always that temptation to see what's around the next corner or down the next path.  I beat my first F.O.E. today with my level 12 team and I am very proud.  He handed my ass to me the first time during our accidental clash, but the second time I came prepared with an alchemist with nearly full TP and nailed him to a wall.  Once again, I am extremely glad that I decided to add lightning to my alchemist's repertoire.  After that I thoroughly searched that area to map it out and find what goodies I could and then reluctantly dragged my tired team home for some well-deserved rest when I realized that my Monk was out of TP.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4101 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »

Started Homefront early this AM (I loved Red Dawn back in the day so I thought WTF). So far it's a nice little distraction between more serious (in depth)  stuff.

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4102 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:48 AM »

Minecraft - Got a dog :D

Anyway, Eador. The game revealed a lot more of its character in terms of how you lose. That got me thinking about Dwarf Fortresses motto -- losing s fun.

I kind of think it's true, of most games, that you learn about how they work through how you fail, or don't fail. And I wonder to what extent a game design methodology could be established based on providing meaningful, interesting, and fair /loss/ conditions to the player.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4103 on: December 11, 2012, 01:56:44 AM »

What do you need to break down breakable walls in Mega Man Legends?

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4104 on: December 11, 2012, 04:06:56 AM »

Got a WiiU after my Wii stopped reading discs.  Been playing Nintendoland.  DK crash course is fun, but hard.  Pikmin adventures is really fun.  I missed out on the Pikmin games, but I am definitely picking Pikmin 3 up when it comes out.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4105 on: December 11, 2012, 05:34:49 AM »

What do you need to break down breakable walls in Mega Man Legends?

The Drill Arm.

Although there are some destructible blocks that can also be destroyed by various grenades or explosive projectiles (including one ceiling panel in a late game dungeon).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4106 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

EX Troopers.

Have a tenuous grasp on the story, but the game is fun as hell and easy to navigate.
It really deserves a Western release.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4107 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »

Final Fantasy IX
Pretty much doing the Chocobo world tour to get items.  Hmm trying to determine:
Eiko vs Garnet?
Amarant vs Steiner vs Freya?
Quina vs???

The moogle side quest is annoying, I'm missing 2 letters and I don't know where the hell where.  I heard the reward kinda sucks though...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4108 on: December 11, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

Final Fantasy IX
Pretty much doing the Chocobo world tour to get items.  Hmm trying to determine:
Eiko vs Garnet?
Amarant vs Steiner vs Freya?
Quina vs???

The moogle side quest is annoying, I'm missing 2 letters and I don't know where the hell where.  I heard the reward kinda sucks though...

Eiko vs Garnet: A hard one, I always preferred Garnet (Is it weird I've always thought of her as Garnet and not Dagger, even though she is called Dagger for much longer? Though in most of my runthroughs I now call her Garnet. "Don't call me Garnet, my name is Garnet now!"). Eiko has better White Magic and has Holy butttt, summons look cool dammit.

Amarant vs Steiner vs Freya: Steiner. No question.

Quina vs ??? = BITCH BE UNRELIABLE AS FUCK WITH HER/HIS RANDOM DMG AUTO ATTACKS.

As for the Mognet sidequest: All you get is a fucking Protect Ring. Get that shit at the auction.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:59:16 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4109 on: December 11, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »

Eiko vs Garnet: A hard one, I always preferred Garnet (Is it weird I've always thought of her as Garnet and not Dagger, even though she is called Dagger for much longer? Though in most of my runthroughs I now call her Garnet. "Don't call me Garnet, my name is Garnet now!"). Eiko has better White Magic and has Holy butttt, summons look cool dammit.

I think I slightly prefer Eiko for the better magic... her summons are a bit weirder though aren't they?  I may bring Eiko because I'm a big wuss who doesn't wanna do item healing... :(

Amarant vs Steiner vs Freya: Steiner. No question.

Yeah, I think I'm starting to see that.  Which makes me sad, because Steiner seems to have less variety than Freya, but she really can't take the hits (though her jumping in the air is great when in a pinch).  Amarant....he feels like a character that shouldn't suck, but he's just not up to snuff.

One flaw with the game I find is making the lead character a thief.  So not only are Zidane's stats better than the lot (the way most game heroes are), but you're usually wasting his precious turns trying to steal shit. 

Anyways, oddly enough, I find Vivi too boring to tag along with the rest of the party...  He's token black...mage. (ok, bad joke).

Quina vs ??? = BITCH BE UNRELIABLE AS FUCK WITH HER/HIS RANDOM DMG AUTO ATTACKS.

S/he is handy (I'm levelling up against the grand dragon; Level 5 Death, insta-kill!!!), but I can't say I "get" him/her.  Like the Dag/Gar nuance, I usually just call Quina a girl.  Quina's apetite reminds me of mine: if I smell steak, I chase after it. Mm.  Also wondering if catching 100 frogs is worth my precious life the same way dodging lightning in FFX wasn't.

As for the Mognet sidequest: All you get is a fucking Protect Ring. Get that shit at the auction.

But they're so cute.  D:
But yeah... I'm not feeling it to go search.  I'm just kinda blue that this being my third run and I still haven't really done it.

Just as an aside: I could talk to the people in Conde Petie all day.  It's so fun to read their text out loud.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: