Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 02:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 446918 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4140 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

My team for Pokemon Black two thus far:

Serperior
Gothitelle
Arcanine
Krookodile

(Yes, they still have their nicknames)

my HM slaves are Psyduck still and Volcarona.

6 badges, caught some lion pokemon thing outside a town. My Serperior really is superior when it comes to endurance. Useful speed and defense, especially with the "growth" move.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4141 on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

I've started Mass Effect (1) and I'm about six hours in.  I'm really enjoying it.  There are some really annoying elements (occasional frame rate hitches on PS3 version and CUT SCENES PRIOR TO A BATTLE THAT YOU CAN'T SKIP THROUGH IF YOU DIE) but they tend to be pretty rare.  The classes and party members are interesting and so are the conversation options (good voice acting, too).  I'm really liking the world, too, which is important in this kind of game.  I've seen some critiques of the level design in the game by members here but I'm not far enough in yet to make any judgments.  In any case, it seems like a pretty solid start to what is supposed to be a great series.

EOIII goes well, the second stratum did indeed have its own warp gate (thankfully, having to go down 20 + levels each time you wanted to hit a certain area near the end of the game would drive me nuts.) and I'm finding the pacing to be just about perfect.  I hope EO IV maintains a similar difficulty level, but I'll get used to it if a bit more grinding is involved.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4142 on: December 19, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »

Klyde, have you played Rayman Origins? It'll probably be on sale on Steam soon if you haven't.

If you like platformers, you should play Rayman Origins.

http://www.robitstudios.com/treasure-adventure-game/ <- This is also a good choice, and free.

On sale on PSN right now, actually.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4143 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »

Lost the shard I was playing on in Eador. FUCK. It was going well too. In the end my heroes were underlevelled. And grinding at that point would have been totally impossible. It's really hard to balance out the development of your heroes with the expansion of your territory. Playing on Beginning difficulty now.

The Real Texas - Beat Xartan and got the wand. Some of the puzzles in the game are... really oblique. Also it's buggy. I still like it though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4144 on: December 20, 2012, 01:52:58 AM »

Finishing up Tien's Landing. Now I just need to dispense with an instrument and its strings. It's silly how many followers the game throws at you by this point. Silk Fox continues to elude me though.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4145 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »

Klyde, have you played Rayman Origins? It'll probably be on sale on Steam soon if you haven't.

If you like platformers, you should play Rayman Origins.

Advice heeded! Game is on the shelf and just begging to get its turn..... it does unfortunately have to wait in line until A Crack in Time and Nights HD is complete though.....

Speaking of Nights.... I just downloaded and played it for awhile last night.... I don't know what to make of it.... I loved it when I was a kid.... It proves addicting now... but these controls and courses leave a bit to be desired..... that, and if I play it too long I think I may vomit from motion sickness.... cool in a nostalgic way though

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4146 on: December 20, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »

Played some Star Ocean: The Last Hope recently, and got to the second Medieval-ish world, the one with the lush mountain valleys and a nearby desert. This really is a very good game in most areas, with much better combat, pacing, and variation (enemy, environment, player character combat types, etc.) than its predecessor. I also don't think the story and characters are quite that bad - the story has its moments, and the characters are starting to grow on me a little. With that said, Edge's new emo phase is almost comical in its excecution. I can sort of understand why he's depressed, but they keep taking it too far, and really just makes him look like a jerk or a fool. Oh well, I can't imagine it'll last that long.

Their plastic-like bodies keep creeping me out, though...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4147 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »

Mickey have you gotten to the scene with the chair yet !! (My RPGfan avatar if you like take of Macha's face btw).

Played Imperialism a bit, haven gotten it from GOG. The immediate things I would compare it to are Victoria and Pride of Nations (I think. PoN doesn't run right for me (or anyone)). Maybe Colonialism though I never really played that. It's very much a trade sim -- so it doesn't have Vicky's internal politics or nation building -- but it has a resource/trade model that makes sense, and trade appears to be the driving force behind wars.

What it actually reminds me a lot of is the first Railroad Tycoon.

Eador - Started another shard. It's going well. No idea how long that'll last. my stronghold is underdeveloped. I should PROBABLY start bringing the fight to the enemy, and soon. Their province guards are... tough, though. Tougher than their heroes. Hrk.

The Real Texas - Got a radish. Also the amazingly dildonic wand.

-- edit---

Oh hey beat a shard on eador.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:19:10 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4148 on: December 20, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

So I got Defender's Quest off a Steam daily deal and it's really good.

The story up to now is descent.
Some levels are pretty challenging.
The game is funny.

I initially named my main barbarian guy Chestickle... and it fits so well it's scary.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4149 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:01 AM »

Cleaned house on the Black Panther school after doofing around a bit at the Arena during my stay at the Jade Empire. You'd think dumping all my level points into Body would bite me in the ass at some point but between the various perks and gems I've managed to keep myself semi-balanced buildwise (but I'm more willing to blame the massive Spirit boost on the one construction I've made thus far). Helps that I've been dumping all of my style points into White Fang and have maxed it out.

Still no Silk Fox but I'm getting close. I can feel it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4150 on: December 21, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

Is Ys Origins worth five?

o/` I do not dream o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4151 on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »

Yes, definitely. Get Oath in Felghana too if you haven't got it already. Despite sharing the same engine and playing very similarly to VI, I thought both of them were a big improvement.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:02:38 PM by DPB » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4152 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

I also finished 999 yesterday. It took me until my sixth attempt to figure out what I needed to do to get the best ending. I should have seen it coming, since considering that the guy behind Ever 17 was behind this game. You can certainly see some of the same themes from E17 in 999, and that is a huge compliment, since Ever 17 has one of the best stories I've ever read. So yeah, I really enjoyed 999 and thought it had a compelling story with compelling characters.

My one problem with the story was

Code:
Ace's heel-face-turn. I'm okay with him being the bad guy, but he was totally maniacal after that was revealed. I just felt like they made him a crazy d-bag just for the sake of making the player dislike the villain. If they would have toned down his personality just a bit more, I wouldn't have minded as much.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4153 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Yes, definitely. Get Oath in Felghana too if you haven't got it already. Despite sharing the same engine and playing very similarly to VI, I thought both of them were a big improvement.

I just got Felghana. It was cheaper and everyone I talked to liked it more anyway.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4154 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »

I also finished 999 yesterday. It took me until my sixth attempt to figure out what I needed to do to get the best ending. I should have seen it coming, since considering that the guy behind Ever 17 was behind this game. You can certainly see some of the same themes from E17 in 999, and that is a huge compliment, since Ever 17 has one of the best stories I've ever read. So yeah, I really enjoyed 999 and thought it had a compelling story with compelling characters.

My one problem with the story was

Code:
Ace's heel-face-turn. I'm okay with him being the bad guy, but he was totally maniacal after that was revealed. I just felt like they made him a crazy d-bag just for the sake of making the player dislike the villain. If they would have toned down his personality just a bit more, I wouldn't have minded as much.

Ace is a complete sociopath, brought on probably by his prospagnosia. He had no empathy whatsoever, he thinks other humans are just mere monkeys - animals. It's this sociopathy that makes him such a mellow and calm character at the start, he is extreamly intelligent and excellent at hiding whatever emotions he is having. When the cat is out of the bag so to speak, we see the monster underneath the calm facade.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: