Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338728 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 446443 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4185 on: December 26, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

Spent the last 4 or 5 hours on Far Cry 3. This might be my GOTY. So much fun:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4186 on: December 27, 2012, 02:08:05 AM »

I've been playing Dead Space the last couple of days. I've had it on my Steam list forever, but haven't gotten past the 3rd chapter until recently. This game is really good, one of the better survival horror titles I've played in a while. While there are a lot of jump scares, the game has a lot more to offer than just those. The game makers did an excellent job with lighting and sound, with environments where you can't hear enemies coming, or places so loud that it always sounds like something is after you. The ruthlessness and viciousness of the necromorphs is unsettling as well, and while taking on one is not too challenging, having 3 or 4 after you can be terrifying. I just started Chapter 9, and I can't wait to see where the game goes from here. This franchise has definitely piqued my interest, and I will be keeping an eye on Dead Space 3 now.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4187 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:40 AM »

I'm a few hours into Bioshock, and I'm enjoying it more than I expected, since I'm not usually into FPSes unless they're hybrids with RPGs and/or stealth games. So far I haven't had to do a great deal of shooting, I've mostly been using plasmids. I do find it very annoying that they restrict you to only two slots at the start, I keep finding new plasmids before I've had much of a chance to try out the previous ones.

BioShock might the game that I most dislike in retrospective. I had a great time playing it and seeing the story unfold for the first time, but by the end of it everything felt so pretentious and a waste of potential that is never reached. Still, it is a fun game with an arguably decent sequel in my opinion.

Personally I would recommend System Shock 2 and/or the first Metroid Prime over BioShock.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4188 on: December 27, 2012, 04:33:01 AM »

I actually hated the RPG stuff in System Shock 2. A lot of the skills were useless, some were excessively essential (Didn't take repair? Have fun using nothing but the wrench), and they mostly felt like they locked you out of doing things, which isn't very fun. Compare to Deus Ex, where the skills granted bonii, but you could, for instance, but you could, for instance, still swim or use pistols WITHOUT having any skill in them (and Deus Ex was also generous with stuff like rebreathers and multitools, so you had other solutions to problems if your skills were low).

Also took issue with the level design in 2. And the hacking. And the general feel of the physics in the game.

Yes, System Shock 1's interface is terrible. I still prefer everything ELSE about that game to SS2.

(I've yet to play Bioshock. Got it from some Amazon sale. I know what the story's about though, and I'm just going to try to ignore it. How pretentious the story is really depends on how satirical you think it's being, and in which direction you THINK it's being satirical. Which probably also relies on your own point of view.

Personally I don't give a damn about the writing. I just want to blow shit up with plasmids).

Anyway, been playing Dark Souls a bit. I get a consistent 15 FPS on my laptop. Might be able to improve on that if my suspicions about some hardware conflicts are correct. It's actually quite playable at 15 FPS -- just slow (I grew up on King's Field soooo). The key here is that it's a consistent framerate, I'm not getting much input lag, and from what I've seen so far, it's not a game that rewards rushing anyway.

Also, up to Primm in New Vegas. This game feels... delightfully bereft of a lot of the Bethesdaisms that I assume plagued Fallout 3, and definitely plague the TES games. Narrative and setting wise, the game reminds me of the original fallout more than anything.

---edit---

Okay based on how the integrated graphics on my laptop work, installing a second ram stick should improve things a lot.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:51:42 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4189 on: December 27, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »

Finished Ep. 4 of The Walking Dead. It's crazy how this world draws you in and really makes you feel for the characters. I have anguished over some of these decisions I had to make. I don't look forward to what may happen in Ep. 5 and yet I HAVE to play it ASAP. So few games nowadays elicit such a reaction.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4190 on: December 27, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »

Anyway, been playing Dark Souls a bit. I get a consistent 15 FPS on my laptop. Might be able to improve on that if my suspicions about some hardware conflicts are correct. It's actually quite playable at 15 FPS -- just slow (I grew up on King's Field soooo). The key here is that it's a consistent framerate, I'm not getting much input lag, and from what I've seen so far, it's not a game that rewards rushing anyway.

My computer is starting to show its age, but if it's playable at 15fps I'll buy it. Are you playing with kb+mouse or a controller?

Edit: Forgot to ask, how horrible is Games for Windows Live?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:09:54 PM by Draak » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4191 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

Edit: Forgot to ask, how horrible is Games for Windows Live?

Most people seem to hate it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4192 on: December 27, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »

I'm just using the keyboard, and I have a layout roughly similar to what I use for ePSXe. Mouse is basically unusable.

For the keyboard layout, you, at the least, want the keys mapped so that you can move in all for direction and rotate the camera left and right at the same time, move in all for directions while blocking at the same time, and have the block, attack, and parry keys close enough that you can switch between them quickly.

Currently I have WASD for movement, IJKL for the camera, one of the shift keys for blocking, R and F for attacking (in retrosepct: l shift and l ctrl make more sense for this; r shift for shield), uh... E is use item -- you want that close to the movement keys but not close enough to the attack keys that you accidentally hit it... forgot what parry is. And Space is roll/sidestep.

wrt FPS, apparently my laptop only having on stick of RAM is cutting the memory bandwidth and bus width in half. I would EXPECT that putting in a second stick of RAM should get me some decent improvement.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4193 on: December 27, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

Yeah, I have yet to hear something good about gfwl :\

I'm just using the keyboard, and I have a layout roughly similar to what I use for ePSXe. Mouse is basically unusable.

Thanks for the keyboard settings, gonna try it out whenever I buy the game (hopefully soon). You may want to check this out to improve the fps. Won't be pretty, but might be smoother.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4194 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

Yeah, I have yet to hear something good about gfwl :\

Thanks for the keyboard settings, gonna try it out whenever I buy the game (hopefully soon). You may want to check this out to improve the fps. Won't be pretty, but might be smoother.

Oh huh. It looks like the resolution you set in DSFix is different from the in-game resolution. Weeeeird.

---edit---

Okay, update on that, since the new version of DSFix is different:

Set the two renderWidth/renderHeight values to 800 and 600. Set the presentWidth/renderHeight values to your NATIVE SCREEN RESOLUTION. Otherwise, the game will crash or you'll get weird FMVs.

THAT BEING SAID. Changing the render resolution to 800 x 600 improved things /massively/. Some of the big shader effects, like water, cause slowdown still, but it's a smooth slowdown and well within the realm of playable.

Thanks to whoever posted this.

---edit2---

That video indicates you should set some texture filtering option to 1. Leaving it set to 0 gets better performance.

---edit3---

New Vegas - Rescued the sheriff in the hotel.

I have to say, the thing I am liking most about this, immediately, compared to Oblivion is that /junk items are useful/. I do have a mod that adds more crafting recipes, but still -- that system being present in the game? It always drove me nuts that most of the stuff you found in Oblivion had no function whatsoever, and even worse, was completely value-less (even morrowind gave you money -- sometimes decent money -- for *stuff*). New Vegas has junk with decent values associated with it, AND you can use it to craft often-necessary ammo/healing kits/etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:07:20 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4195 on: December 27, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »

imported Super Robot Taisen OG 2 for ps3 and trying to finish Fallout New Vegas. The Old World Blues expansion was really fun.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4196 on: December 28, 2012, 12:26:07 AM »

56 turn boss battle in Enchanted Arms, yes I am a tad under leveled, but yes that was seriously still fun!!!! Damn I love a good turn based RPG! Finished the battle with 26 HP on one character, three allies dead and no heal potions left, lol. Now THAT is an RPG, lol!

Everything's Eventual
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4197 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »

The Walking Dead - Episode 5 is finished.
Damn.
Amazing game. I'm curious as to how the game plays with different decisions, but I really don't want to go through the roller coaster again. It was hard enough the first time. Emotionally, I mean.
Code:
Why did they show that last scene with Clem? That was just mean.
I didn't cut Lee's arm off. I wonder what would have happened if I did. Can he be alive at the end? Is it possible for a lot more people to survive, or is it part of the story?
Poor Clementine went through so much. What a memorable character.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4198 on: December 28, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »

Here are the answers to the questions that Grim put on spoilers:

1. As I understand The Walking Dead was at first suppose to be only one game but the reception was so positive that they decided to expand the story. In other words, 2nd season.

2. No.

3. Haven't checked out by myself but I wouldn't be surprised if more than one character that doesn't dies in one episode can die in the next one to keep things interesting.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4199 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »

Just finished Chapter 10 of Valkyria Chronicles.  Awesome stuff.  I leveled up two classes up to Elite and now I can use flamethrowers!?  This game just gets better and better! 

I'm leaving for a wedding in a few hours, and I won't be back until Sunday night.  That gives me two days (including one work day) to finish this game before the new year.  That's gonna be lots of videogames.  I can do this. 

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: