Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:55:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 360795 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4275 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »

Also, I never once said I hated the dungeons or the bosses of TP (except for the first one since that was a very basic forest temple dungeon and nothing really thrilling to write home about). I just wish the rest of the game didn't fall so short on the other fronts (dat Dominion Rod would've been awesome if there was any reason to use it outside of its dungeon beyond opening the occasional doorway; Gale Boomerang was OP'd and either needed a later upgrade to make it into it or make the bow more than slightly better at the range department compared to it, even with bomb arrows; teh Spinner wtf; wolf form moar liek puppy form; Light Sword, I can't tell if its doing more damage to anything other than those sudo wizrobe enemies from the dungeon you get it in).

Yea, that was another aspect that I didn't like. All the new items that were ridiculously cool (like the ball and chain) were pretty much useless outside of their respective dungeons.

Well, finished OoT. I have a desire to play Majora's Mask, but that game is a major commitment that I don't think I'm willing to make right at this moment. I guess I'll get back to Xenoblade Chronicles. Maybe I can get it finished before Sly 4 and the new Fire Emblem game are out in February.

I hate that argument about the tools.  People say Zelda games are linear, so when they let you pick the last three in whatever order you wanted (Snowpeak, Temple of Time, and the City in the Sky), so it would be hard to apply those tools in another dungeon if you don't have the tool from another one (there's always side content and the final 2 [small] dungeons to use them in. 

Dincrest pretty much hit the nail on the hammer.  At least for most things.  There's a lot of games or song I feel less than warm about at first, but are then the ones I grow to love more than the songs that I adore by the first time I listen to it.  FF9 was certainly one I didn't appreciate right away, took over a full 10 years before I gave it a serious go.  I didn't think much of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs either, but now I watch it *at least* once a year. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:51:15 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4276 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »

Also, I never once said I hated the dungeons or the bosses of TP (except for the first one since that was a very basic forest temple dungeon and nothing really thrilling to write home about). I just wish the rest of the game didn't fall so short on the other fronts (dat Dominion Rod would've been awesome if there was any reason to use it outside of its dungeon beyond opening the occasional doorway; Gale Boomerang was OP'd and either needed a later upgrade to make it into it or make the bow more than slightly better at the range department compared to it, even with bomb arrows; teh Spinner wtf; wolf form moar liek puppy form; Light Sword, I can't tell if its doing more damage to anything other than those sudo wizrobe enemies from the dungeon you get it in).

Yea, that was another aspect that I didn't like. All the new items that were ridiculously cool (like the ball and chain) were pretty much useless outside of their respective dungeons.

Well, finished OoT. I have a desire to play Majora's Mask, but that game is a major commitment that I don't think I'm willing to make right at this moment. I guess I'll get back to Xenoblade Chronicles. Maybe I can get it finished before Sly 4 and the new Fire Emblem game are out in February.
I hate that argument about the tools.  People say Zelda games are linear, so when they let you pick the last three in whatever order you wanted (Snowpeak, Temple of Time, and the City in the Sky), so it would be hard to apply those tools in another dungeon if you don't have the tool from another one (there's always side content and the final 2 [small] dungeons to use them in.

I can understand your reasoning, but I have to disagree. Admittedly, this is partially because I've never cared whether a game is linear or non-linear. My problem is that nearly all of the items in previous Zelda games, with a few exceptions such as the Book of Mudora, had practical use fighting enemies or helping the player to navigate further into the game world. The Hookshot in its various iterations being a perfect example. The Ball and Chain and the Spinner have very little practical use outside of their dungeons. The Ball and Chain is a powerful weapon that can really hurt enemies, but it's too unwieldy to be of much use in most combat situations. The Spinner has tracks in the canyon just North of Lake Hylia that lead to a heart piece, and then there are only sparse uses of it in the Sky Temple and Hyrule Castle (I don't remember there being any Spinner rails or gears in the Twilight world, but I could be wrong). And because it requires rails to be effective, it is nearly useless against enemies.  The Dominion Rod has already been discussed above. Those are the three culprits to me.

The rest I just chalk up to different play styles. I very rarely used the Hawkeye item, but I did use bomb arrows pretty frequently, especially to kill Redead Knights or if I just wanted my arrows to have extra firepower. Another example is I never used Deku Nuts in OoT, but they were a core part of my friend's combat tactics. But it seems that most players agree that the usefulness of the Ball and Chain, the Spinner, and Dominion Rod is primarily in their respective dungeons, and that these items only have extremely limited use outside of those dungeons.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4277 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:23 AM »

I think the La Mulana remake is the first time I felt screwed over by buying a game. The game's awful on its own right, but the new art added in the remake is just kind of stylistically empty and poorly done. The new translation also renders some of the hints even less useful. So, great, I paid for an updated version of a freeware game and the updates make it worse.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4278 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »

@Mesh - I still can't believe how many gamers considered La Mulana one of the best games ever. I never liked the freeware version at all, and the remake didn't look a whole lot better to me.

Also, how did they make the hints less helpful???

EDIT:

Beat the 5th Dungeon. Had to use restore points on those freakin' darknuts. They pretty much drove me insane.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:33:47 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4279 on: January 07, 2013, 10:47:17 AM »

OK, I like Persona 4 a lot.  It's Persona 3 with less bullshit (re: Tartarus) and heavier character arcs.  I am 100% okay with this.  I'm right in front of the boss of the Steamy Bathhouse dungeon, but I need to level grind a little bit for it since I kinda rushed through it all. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4280 on: January 07, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

Witcher 2. Frustration abounds, and it has nothing to do with the game itself. I made it to disc 2. Because I have a puny 20gb Hd I only had disc 1 installed. I tried to install disc 2, but it keeps getting stuck around 80%. Then a message pops up saying the disc is dirty, which it is not. I try to play without it installed, but it runs miserably and/or locks up.
I really just think my 360 itself is on it's last legs. Considering this is the only game I care to play on it, buying a new one would be a waste of money. I'll see how it works tonight.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4281 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

I think the La Mulana remake is the first time I felt screwed over by buying a game. The game's awful on its own right, but the new art added in the remake is just kind of stylistically empty and poorly done. The new translation also renders some of the hints even less useful. So, great, I paid for an updated version of a freeware game and the updates make it worse.

Is that the one cobbled together by those flakes at Nicalis and then picked up by some other group when it became painfully apparent that Nicalis couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag? If so, then yeah, you got boned.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4282 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

Re: the Zelda conversation.  It's like with some albums.  You dislike them when they first come out because they're not like the precursor, but years later you realize that it's brilliant.  A lot of people weren't really feeling the Tool album Lateralus when it first came out because it wasn't as good as Aenima, but years later people realize that the album is absolutely fantastic.  It had to grow on me, but grow on me it did and I think it's an even better album than Aenima.

As for my gaming, I'm playing Code of Princess.  Stylish, mindless fun, and it has Zozo- the cutest anime zombie girl since Rottytops in Shantae.  

I just started Code of Princess two night ago! First thing that managed to make me find time for my 3ds is awhile now.... Not exactly the meatiest title but damn is it fun in short spurts between drawings and tattoos at work.... art style is so tailored to my personal taste its damn near impossible for me not to like this... I'm really digging the soundtrack too.

on the Zozo note, I wish she was a little faster and more fluid to play as... I instantly wanted to play as her as soon I saw her!!... however i gotta say, the gameplay feels a lot more rewarding with other characters, which is a bummer...

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4283 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

I played The Walking Dead yesterday and I just thought one scene was hilarious.
Without spoiling anything

1 !
2 !
3 !
4 !
*KERSPLAT*
5 ?

I think it's my weird timing that did it... right? Shouldn't do that last one usually I'm guessing.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4284 on: January 07, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »

Is that the one cobbled together by those flakes at Nicalis and then picked up by some other group when it became painfully apparent that Nicalis couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag? If so, then yeah, you got boned.

The La-Mulana remake was made by the original team, Nicalis were only supposed to publish the English Wii version.

Weird to see so many negative sentiments towards the game, I thought it was great (the remake, I haven't played the original). It's true that some of the solutions to progress are needlessly obscure, but otherwise it was really fun to explore and I loved the music and art style, it looks like an early Saturn/Playstation game to me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:36:54 PM by DPB » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4285 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »

I think the art's way too busy, I don't like how the player sprite, enemy sprites, backgrounds, and bosses all tend to be in different styles, there's weird.. artifacts all over everything. I don't know, I saw someone suggest dropping the resolution to 640 x 480 to stop it from blurring.

I don't know. Are the hints supposed to make sense? Am I just intuitively supposed to figure I can walk through that wall? I mean, that's like, the first puzzle in the game, and barely even a puzzle. Everyone else figured it out. Everyone else seems to love the game. I'm obviously just defective.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4286 on: January 07, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

I suppose you're like that mummy in the lower left hand corner of that screenshot.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4287 on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »

Witcher 2 - Rough boss fight took about 20 tries.  Long absence from game probably made it more difficult than it really was.

Stella Deus - Sometimes I think I like breaking games more than I like playing them.  Got the main characters rank 6 weapons way ahead of schedule (you can buy rank 3 right now).  I should probably focus on moving ahead in the story, and I probably will at least until i can find a way to get even stronger weapons.  These rank 6 should last for awhile.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4288 on: January 08, 2013, 12:12:23 AM »

I think the art's way too busy, I don't like how the player sprite, enemy sprites, backgrounds, and bosses all tend to be in different styles, there's weird.. artifacts all over everything. I don't know, I saw someone suggest dropping the resolution to 640 x 480 to stop it from blurring.

I don't know. Are the hints supposed to make sense? Am I just intuitively supposed to figure I can walk through that wall? I mean, that's like, the first puzzle in the game, and barely even a puzzle. Everyone else figured it out. Everyone else seems to love the game. I'm obviously just defective.

Whoa, spoilers! My only weakness! Seriously though, I just started this game last week for the wii and I have no clue what I'm doing. I didn't even know you could go through the wall there. I'm running around with a small shield hitting things with my whip 'n' stuff. Music is catchy though.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4289 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:09 AM »

I saw that the new Fire Emblem on the 3DS will be available on the 3DS store. I imported an American 3DS but it doesn't look like I can set up an account cause I need a US billing address. Blehhh, guess i'll just need to wait for import delivery. ;_;

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: