Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327209 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 384440 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4305 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »

My bad.  I posited it was a Tim Rogers article because I know he posted a big Skyward Sword thing around a year ago that sounded like what MGF described. 

And here's my final "list of games beaten in 2012" ->

1. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
2. Radiant Historia
3. Mass Effect
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (Hard mode)
6. Grandia II
7. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 2
8. Mass Effect 3
9. Journey
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
11. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
12. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
13. Red Dead Redemption
14. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
15. Persona 3 FES
16. Final Fantasy XII
17. DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
18. Super Mario Galaxy
19. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
20. Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi
21. Torchlight II
22. Rogue Galaxy
23. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
24. Okami
25. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
26. Valkyria Chronicles

Good year.  Didn't beat as many games as 2011 (total was 46-50 depending on how you feel about replays and fighting games), but I got a couple of big titles crossed off the ol' backlog. 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4306 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »

Not really sure where to go next. Either the graveyard or darkroot gardens.

Darkroot Garden.

Thank you, that's actually where I left off in Dark Souls...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4307 on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »

However, you also see it in the room directly above it. So in the one room it's in front of the statue's mouth. In the other room, it's... just in the middle of the wall. Which is kind of confusing as fuck. It's also not clear if it's in the statue's mouth or just obscuring it. Or if the faded nature of the elevator sprite when it's deactivated is supposed to mean it's recessed or what.

YES, I had the same problem with that elevator! There are times where I solve a puzzle and have no clue as to what it does. I remember putting a weight on a pedestal that activated a pushable block in some other room. This game is confusing...but thankfully I only play this game to explore and get lost, because that's what happens half the time.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4308 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

Well the ridiculous perils of the femme fatale of prismatic hearts was no much for the wondrous strategies employed by commander Chroma! What the hell do I mean by that??? I BEAT HYPERDIMENSION MK2 and for the FIRST time in a compile hearts title I actually got the true end!! Ohhhhhh sweet victory....

The verdict?? Highly addicting freakin' title for no discernable or measurable reason... the game sucked... and I enjoyed every moment of it-LoL.... Vast improvement over the first as far as the gameplay goes, but I must side with the masses when I report the humor just wasn't nearly as "humorous" this time around...

My biggest gripe with MK2 lies within the last few chapters......... if you are at all concerned with doing side missions and colliseum battles, the challenge of the actual story is non-existent... Even in the final chapter, unlockable only if you pursue the true end route, I trumped most the bosses without even needing to heal any member of my party.... The problem is, as far as I can tell, this scenario is completely unavoidable due to the fact that a fair amount of leveling up occurs while pursuing the true end route! If you set up a game mechanic to require a certain performance/level from the player, would it not stand to reason to make that which follows require the same level of performance or greater?.... But what do I know... most jrpgs seem pretty broken by the end to me....

In other news, I re-examined the backlog I am determined to burn through and realized I erroneously omit a key title I have wanted to finish since I was like 10 years old.... Seiken Densetsu 3!! On three seperate occasions I tried to play through the title multiplayer.... multiplayer partner petered out on my each time and I never finished one playthrough.... So with passion and haste, post MK2's credits I resumed my quest to slay the God Beasts! Ironically every time I played this is where (for one reason or another) I lost my couch co-op compadre'... So I resumed my last save file I was playing with a lovely lass but a year or so ago...

I was into playing games.... she was into doing a little bit more then playing games.... things didn't work too swell.... Before the cookie crumbled however we did make it to the mana holyland! Only problem is she didn't take the amazon girl down the healer path, leaving me with a healer-less party.... Luckily there seems to be no shortage of Luc or healing item availability, so maybe this move on her part was unwittingly a good decision...

Lastly I started playing Zone of the Enders HD collection..... too early to report anything other then this soundtrack is absolutely stellar!!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4309 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

I finished Metro 2033 (came with the THQ humble bundle) and somehow I still have no idea what I was doing.
Just pretty much moving forward gunning stuff until a cutscene appeared.

I feel like I didn't understand anything in the game.
Didn't mod weapons.
Didn't buy anything neat (I'm a greedy SOB)
Didn't use the uber bullets (they are the money... GREEDY!!!)
Didn't understand what was up with the bad guys.

At least the sentence "If it's hostile, you kill it." really does describe the game.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4310 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »

It's more about the atmosphere in Metro than anything else. I really wish the 360 version would go down in price so I could finish it already. My PC can't run it, and I only got to rent it years ago. :(

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4311 on: January 12, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »

Mickey, try stalker? It has much lower system requirements, but is similarly atmospheric, apocalyptic, and Slavic.

Played the original La Mulana for a few hours. Everything about it is better than the remake. Everything about how it looks and feels and sounds very deliberate and that definitely doesn't translate to the updated version at all, to the extent, as I said, that some things just get completely obscured or lost in translation. Speaking of translations, Aeon Genesis' is a lot better than the new one too, not just in terms of clarity, but in terms of... being well written.

Anyway, I think I'll play some The Last Remnant tonight although I feel like it probably gets depressing at some point. I need a happyish JRPG. Really should've stuck Legend of Mana on my laptop, bleh.

--- edit ---

Also holy shit, wrt Gravity's Rainbow and Chrono Cross, William Slothrop's treatise On Preterition is thematically /almost identical/ to Schala's closing monologue in the game's ending.

Code:
I got up to the part about the lemming, last night, which is where the On Preterition stuff is. The book has some kid searching for his pet lemming that ran away, and Slothrop starts wondering if the kid isn't sick in the head and if there even IS a lemming. Throughout the book, Slothrop's searching for the 0000 rocket, and it's not really clear if THAT even exists. So the lemming stuff serves as an internal metaphor for what Slothrop's doing.

Then it goes off on a tangent about the lemming trying to walk on water, which is given as a parallel to Christ walking on water and it talks about how, in doing so, Christ validated all the other people who tried to walk on water and drowned. If I'm reading it right, what it's talking about is how all the people who are 'passed over' as the chosen ones are validated by the one who actually IS chosen and succeeds; and at the same time, their failure gives meaning to the one success.

Which I guess is a recurring theme throughout the book, looking back. I'll be re-reading this some day. Some day soon, preferably.

Anyway, take Serge as the chosen, and the other party members -- or even humanity as a whole in the game, really -- as the preterite, and you get a damn interesting context to look at the game in.

--- edit 2 ---

http://kotaku.com/5885595/zelda-just-keeps-getting-worse-but-it-isnt-beyond-saving

Zelda article I was talking about. Few points:

1. Zelda was never hardcore. Jesus. It's harder than modern Zeldas, but it wasn't really as hard as Metroid, or a lot of other NES games, really. It was also really forgiving. You die, you get sent back to the start, but you don't really lose that much progress, and getting back to the dungeons is quick.

1b. Also the intent of Zelda was different. As the author said, Zelda 1 wasn't about puzzles. In my mind Zelda 1's more of a strategic action game with an early survival horror bent to it. The emphasis is very different.

2. I actually like Zelda 1's combat a lot. You were limited in how you could move and attack, so you really had to strategize about HOW you'd hit things while not getting hit yourself. The level design in the dungeons was also built around this, in terms of what provided cover and what provided and obstacle to navigating the enemy, and there was a lot of thought put into the movement mechanics as well. Zelda 1's really good and I think it's aged just fine.

3. Showing the players which walls are bombable is not hand holding, it's conveying how the game world worked. The Lost Woods in Zelda 1 was stupid, because you pretty much had to brute force it. That's not interesting. On the other hand, while it wasn't as obvious about it as LttP, things that HAD to be bombed/burned were usually hinted at in some way.

Not indicating what's bombable at all and forcing the player to bomb everything, especially when bombs are a limited resource, just to find the needle in the haystack isn't difficulty. It's tedium, and it's bad design.

4. Zelda 2 was 'difficult' because the controls were loose and the physics were bad, and the half-assed RPG elements never really worked right (experience didn't save, so grinding was sort of mandatory). Zelda 2's dungeon designs were also a lot more carelessly constructed. I LIKE Zelda 2, but it's nowhere near as well designed as the first.

5. The 3D zeldas are handholdy on the map in terms of telling you where to go although they're not really handholdy in the dungeons or with regards to actual puzzles, unless they're some sort of 'tutorial' puzzle for right after you get an item. Midna and Navi mostly worked as in-game logs. You're also free to fuck off and do whatever in all of the 3D Zeldas pretty much whenever you want.

6. Guy mostly seems like he wants Zelda games to be harder to... validate his time playing them. I see a lot of people with this mindset -- gaming as validation -- and I find it alarmingly depressing. Even if you beat the hardest game in the world, you haven't accomplished anything of merit, and if you're seriously looking for gamer cred or something, Jesus, get a life.

7. His points on item creep are good. So are his points about Zelda games having a repetitive gameplay progression, mostly because that goes back to the items too.

8. I didn't really like OoT's collect-everything sidequests. TP wasn't too bad about those. WW really went overboard with the junk collecting though (ZAMG BUTTERFLY MEDALLIONS).

9. With regards to one of the earlier paragraphs, all games feel like a case of... it's a matter of when you get through it, not if. If a game feels genuinely insurmountable, nobody will play it. Games can be hard, but if they're well designed, you're going to feel like you can beat any obstacle eventually, once you learn enough or get good enough. That's what creates the 'just one more try' mindset for a boss. That's how you hook a player -- NOT by convincing them they either have it in them to beat the game or don't.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:51:16 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4312 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »

Walking Dead ep3
Is there any way to stop carley from getting shot? The game messed up my save so I had to start ep3 over and I tried different choices but she still died.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4313 on: January 12, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »

Beat KotOR. I liked it a lot, and there was some really fun gameplay in there. Owning everything with a lightsaber and Jedi powers is just cool. One minor compaint: sometimes it felt like the story was trying to emulate the movies a little too much. Not saying it is a carbon copy by any means, but some parts were very familiar. A friend told me that 2 isn't like that, so I'm really interested to see where that story goes, although I've known the twist for that game for years.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4314 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »

What did you play it on? I feel that's a game I need to play.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4315 on: January 13, 2013, 12:21:19 AM »

Draak, the most immediately surprising thing about New Vegas to me is that you can play as a gay male character. Considering that Fallout 2 let you be a lesbian but not a gay male, and all. Which is fairly common in games and something that really bugs me.

But uh, yeah. I reeeeally like New Vegas. Also, if you're playing KOTOR2 on the PC, I think I heard that there were some patches to restore cut content.

I'll get NV as soon as I see a decent sale on Steam (damn you winter sale). Not a fan of the engine or Bethesda, but Obsidian is worth the trouble. Btw, you're right about the Kotor 2 patch, it restores and fixes a lot of stuff.

Beat KotOR. I liked it a lot, and there was some really fun gameplay in there. Owning everything with a lightsaber and Jedi powers is just cool. One minor compaint: sometimes it felt like the story was trying to emulate the movies a little too much. Not saying it is a carbon copy by any means, but some parts were very familiar. A friend told me that 2 isn't like that, so I'm really interested to see where that story goes, although I've known the twist for that game for years.

If you're playing the series on PC, make sure to get the Restored Content Mod before starting Kotor 2. There's the M4-78EP mod too (same link), which adds a whole new planet. I don't remember where I read it, but someone compared Kotor1 to a Saturday morning cartoon and I kind of agree, as much as I enjoyed the game.

@Ontopic

Kotor 2 - Got my lightsaber. I don't know if the color is random, but I really wanted a blue one... Hope I'll find the necessary crystal soon. Loving the game to bits.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4316 on: January 13, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »

Uncharted 3 multiplayer:

I'm pretty tired of this game always throwing me in shitty teams and lose most matches because of that. I really try to do my best to win a match but one person can't do much for a team of 5 people.

...that said, UC2 multiplayer is better. Less bullshit and is more oriented to skill instead of firing your weapon like Rambo.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4317 on: January 13, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »

Not a fan of the engine or Bethesda, but Obsidian is worth the trouble. Btw, you're right about the Kotor 2 patch, it restores and fixes a lot of stuff.

Oh, it runs like shit because HRRDRR GAMEBRYO, but it doesn't really feel like a Bethesda game.

La Mulana Classic -

Code:
1. Got a bunch of notes for the Mausoleum of Giants but I'm not really sure what I want to be doing there.
2. Beat the whirligig lion thing in the sun temple.
3. Got the dagger. Clue for getting that WAS clear in the remake.
4. Figure out some other puzzle hang on....

---edit---

Got the Gate of Guidance and Sun Temple Ankh Jewels.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:14:04 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4318 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

Finished Witcher 2. I was kind of surprised when everything came to a head, and the game just ended. I kind of felt like there needed to be another chapter or 2.
There is SO much I didn't do in this game. I feel like I barely scratched it. For one, I'd like to play the other path in Chapter 2. Then there's all the side stuff I didn't get done. I could go on and on.
Overall, I loved the game. The combat could use a bit more variety, but the alchemy and crafting was fun. The story was a bit convoluted, but the characters made up for it. Geralt alone makes the game worth playing.
I'll be all over Witcher 3 when it eventually shows up.

Now I will go back and play Xenoblade for awhile. Basically, until Dead Space 3 comes out. Feb. 5th!

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4319 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »

La Mulana Classic -

Code:
1. Beat the Gate of Guidance boss.
2. I can go and take on the Giant Mausoleum boss too.
3. Bought the fireproof case.

I have no idea which items I can get otherwise right now.  I THINK getting through the Endless Corridor is kind of a Lost Woods thing but I'm not interested in brute forcing that. Also I have access to Inferno.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: