Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 427496 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4335 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

Zone of the End is boring me a bit....

Are we talking ZoE or ZoE2 ?
If ZoE... yeah the game wasn't hot stuff. It pretty much exists as the prequel the great game that came after.

Zone of the Enders 1 of hd collection.... I apologize if I wasn't clear on that... I seem to have a problem where I feel like I've communicated accurately when in fact I have not...

Zone of the End is boring me a bit.... but I really think that is just in contrast to playing Seiken densetsu right now.... truth be told, this is the most appealing mecha-material I have indulged since Xenosaga and the Evangelion movie/remakes. Good stuff, and I am still on the first game! I can't wait to get to the second as it seems the general consensus is the sequel is far superior.

And then in came Dice luring me back to hyrule! LoL

Twilight Princess

Easily, most stressful part in the game is racing the Wall Masters in the Palace.  I went into it blind, it's really tricky to figure it out that way, some of the enemy surprises aren't too nice either.  Worst part is probably that horrific noise that plays when it gets close.... SHWEEE SHWEEE SHWEEE SHWEE~!!  *SMACK*

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4336 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »

Wall Masters are the worst part of any Zelda games.

It's like, you grew up in the 90s, you got wall masters and the fucking yeti from ski free. THIS IS HOW YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY KIDS. THIS IS THE HANDFUL OF DUST YOU'RE STARING INTO.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4337 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »

Started up Guild Wars 2. Made a Norn Warrior, and I've only visited the starter zone and the Norn capital, but so far I'm quite impressed. The developers have put a nice amount of detail into the game, and the community seems pretty vibrant and active, especially the roleplayers. If anyone is interested, I'm Gwulf.1724 on Tarnished Coast.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4338 on: January 15, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

La Mulana:

Code:
1. Got the gloves.
2. Opened the flood gates.
3. Flooded the Sun Temple.
4. Got the boots.
5. Got another Life Orb.
6. Got the Detector.
7. Got the Birth Seal.
8. Opened the conception seal in the Gate of Guidance but no idea how to get to the area it opened up.

Things of interest:
1. There's a shop in the sun temple I can't get to yet, and one in the endless corridor I can't get to yet either.
2. I need to go back and try to kill every enemy in various rooms to see if that opens anything. It does, someimes.
3. I think I know where the boss room in the water temple is, but I don't know how to get it open. Apparently it involves putting something in front of the blue flying thing. Also know where the red gem is but no idea how to get to it.
4. Still can't get to the room filled with tablets in the sun temple.
5. Opened a hidden door in the Inferno by using the birth seal, but I can't figure out how to get into it yet, though I should be able to.
6. I can explore the Inferno and... some other area more.
7. Need to go back and explore the upper portion of the Giant's Mausoleum more. You can't get there from the warp point so I may have missed stuff.
8. Can probably take out the giant mausoleum boss, and maybe the sun temple boss.

WHY DO I LIKE THIS SO MUCH MORE THAN THE REMAKE.

I need to get back to Vagrant Story and Outcast sometimes. Dark Souls is reminding me of them.

Buuut I think I'm gonna actually devote some time to The Last Remnant and New Vegas tonight, considering those I've actually bee playing already :P

---edit---

TLR - Up to the Catacombs. The comments about how some of the captured monsters can be used as food is creepy because some of them are sapient.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:28:09 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4339 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »

Growlanser III is on hold until I do some cleaning up with Last Story. I've already beaten the required chapters that allows me the pleasure of the ending credits, but there are some extra chapters/scenes for me to go through before I shelf this game for a very long time.

Also, picked up Ys book 1 & 2 on the Virtual Console. Love, love the music, but I'm more impressed by the quality of some of the tracks...it's just mind blowing.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4340 on: January 16, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »

I'm really liking Xenoblade so far. The scope is amazing. I do have a few quibbles, though.
Why am I not able to use any type of healing item during combat? That's lame.
Then there's no "block" or "defend" option. Odd.
Is there a way to turn off the annoying repetitive chatter after each battle? It's a bit obnoxious.
I've already knocked out a bunch of sidequests, but am only in the Tephra cave, otherwise.
The game has good music, too. I'll have to seek out the soundtrack.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4341 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »

Is there a way to turn off the annoying repetitive chatter after each battle? It's a bit obnoxious.

IT'S REYN TIME all the time!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4342 on: January 16, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

Whatta bunch of Jokers

Just beat Shadow of the Colossus.

Code:
I didn't really see Dormin as evil. The guy seemed to keep up his part of the deal and he had warned Wander that it was dangerous. Great game overall.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4343 on: January 16, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »

Whatta bunch of Jokers

Just beat Shadow of the Colossus.

Code:
I didn't really see Dormin as evil. The guy seemed to keep up his part of the deal and he had warned Wander that it was dangerous. Great game overall.

WILD DOWN! *time to follow up with a Daze attack then a chain combo for maximum shit wrecking*

With that said, I've been playing some fighting games recently to get back into the swing of things (also what else am I going to get for a 360). Soul Caliber 4 was mildly entertaining, especially with the tower and character creation mechanics. Dead or Alive 5 was pretty much hands down the best of the games I got for the 360, the practice mode alone is rock solid and the in-story missions make for a nice tutorial, great for somebody as out of practice as myself. Tekken 6 is a piece of crap. Full stop. Its mostly built around an incredibly dumb brawler quest mode and the final boss is SNK-levels bullshit.

Though admittedly my opinions might be skewed a bit given how my 360 controller is a piece of shit. Left stick is wonky and has serious trouble registering clean inputs while the D-pad has a barely functioning right directional input and I don't think the left one's anything to write home about either. I probably should invest into an arcade stick if I'm going to dick around with these games anymore.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4344 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »

I'm really liking Xenoblade so far. The scope is amazing. I do have a few quibbles, though.
I've already knocked out a bunch of sidequests, but am only in the Tephra cave, otherwise.

There are no healing items.  Some characters will get a healing spell which acts as a minor band-aid that needs to be used proactively when the cooldowns are up and there are healing characters you eventually get in your party.  Are you playing as Reyn?  There are no hard block/defend abilities.  Instead, they abilities that ARE there are going to be kind of MMO-esque like, "Increases chance to block and parry by 25% for 10 seconds" with a 45 second cooldown (abilities and timers are made-up, I don't remember times and can't remember any of Reyn's abilities since I didn't play as him).

Aeolus, I didn't care for Tekken 6's quest mode either.  It was somewhat entertaining, but the controls were annoying.  Those kinds of modes take a backseat to the actual versus fighting which is quite good but with a steep learning curve to be really good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:30:04 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4345 on: January 16, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

There are no healing items.  Some characters will get a healing spell which acts as a minor band-aid that needs to be used proactively when the cooldowns are up and there are healing characters you eventually get in your party.  Are you playing as Reyn?  There are no hard block/defend abilities.  Instead, they abilities that ARE there are going to be kind of MMO-esque like, "Increases chance to block and parry by 25% for 10 seconds" with a 45 second cooldown (abilities and timers are made-up, I don't remember times and can't remember any of Reyn's abilities since I didn't play as him).

I'm playing as whoever the default main characters is. I thought his name was Shulk or something. Didn't occur to me to switch up.
I also don't like that you can't customize the other party members actions. No gambit-like setup like in pretty much every other rpg I've played. They just do whatever they feel like. I find that odd.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4346 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »

For the most part, they actually do a pretty good job of using their character decently.  Shulk wrecks everything with backslash anyway.  Once you get enough abilities, you can switch out the ones you don't like in favor of better ones that suit your play style.  This goes for the other party members too.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4347 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »

Aeolus, I didn't care for Tekken 6's quest mode either.  It was somewhat entertaining, but the controls were annoying.  Those kinds of modes take a backseat to the actual versus fighting which is quite good but with a steep learning curve to be really good.

You also get something called the party gauge that acts as a sudo healing reserve, by which I mean, that you'll be able to revive a fallen character or be revived yourself to partial health with one segment, be able to instantly use an ally's art to interrupt an incoming attack for one segment, or unleash a chain attack for the full three segmented bar. Also Reyn does get an art that lets him guard against all incoming attacks for a short while (of course this puts him into full stop mode and he can't do anything else until the effect wears off so its not exactly a good idea to use during a chain attack).

As for Tekken 6's quest mode, the problem lies entirely with the fact that the developers used a 2D fighting game engine for a 3D third person beat'em up. You literally cannot use half of your moveset due to the fact that you can no longer duck, jump, or block because you're now moving right, left, or turning around respectfully (you can still use the more complicated moves but its a clumsy endeavor at best). I just wish you didn't have to play it just to unlock the regular story mode or that the loot had any sort of effect on story mode instead of nothing.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4348 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »

Sorry AgentD....

I got Ni No Kuni early from my local indie game store (lawl, suckit Gamestop :P ).
Love it.  Except, while the demo had NO explanations on *anything*, this game has TOO much for everything.  I hate when a game tells me how to "walk". :P

Nevertheless, lovely game, well done cutscenes, great music, and feels like a Ghibli film.
Also.  Prettiest.  Worldmap.  EVER.
I *think* the "map" of the world map is hand drawn too.  As a wannabe artist, that's a pretty cool thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:28:23 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4349 on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »

Also.  Prettiest.  Worldmap.  EVER.

More than the one in Dragon Quest VIII?
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: