Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 01:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334761 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 427788 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4365 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

Resident Evil 6:

Man I am happy with RE6. For some of the weird design decisions it has in some parts, RE6 was from start to finish enjoyable.

This was also the first RE in years where the soundtrack really caught my attention. The theme that plays in the menu and the one for Jake's ending are my favorites.

RE7 now... don't fuck that one up Capcom.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4366 on: January 19, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »

Xenoblade - I got to the point where the Mechon attack the city. I'm now busting shit up with the Monado. But then I encountered this big face mask boss that requires a chain attack to "break" it. Well, for the life of me, I couldn't do one! Yes, I saw the ultra=brief tutorial on it, but I blanked during the battle. Something about matching colors or some other nonsense. I go to check in the manual, and there's no Chain Attack section! Ugh. Ended up just turning the game off because I couldn't hurt the guy, and couldn't flee the battle.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4367 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »

I believe you can look that up in the menu, but I doubt you could reference it during the battle.

Anyways, I finally got myself to play a game again. It's been a while. I started up Mother 3 from the beginning since I found out I had only played for 30 minutes years ago.I'm not far in yet, only to the end of the part with the forest fire. I really like how this game starts out. Like, seriously, I used to be one of those people that needed to be impressed by a game within the first hour in order to bother with it. While I don't know why I didn't continue with it before, I was definitely impressed by it now. These days I usually dislike playing games on emulators, but I think I'll make an exception for this game. I guess this'll hold me over until my PS3 gets fixed and I can play Ni no Kuni.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4368 on: January 19, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »

Mother 3 has timing issues on emulators that make doing the button-presses-timed-with-the-music thing in the battle system not work right.

Opinion of Dark Souls is kind of deteriorating. What I'm noticing is this: in the actual levels, there's going to be a fairly fixed order which you need to take enemies out in to minimize risk to yourself.

And it's interesting up until you figure out HOW to take them out and in which order. The execution itself, however, isn't that difficult -- you just need to be careful. And it's slow, and it takes forever.

Figure out how to get past one set of enemies, get to a new obstacle, die, repeat till you learn how to get past the new obstacle, repeat, repeat, repeat...

And my tolerance for repetition is... low. It's not a problem in Super Meat Boy, where the levels are incredibly short and very fast to play through. Dark Souls is a really slow-paced game though. And I can only blow through the same pattern of enemies so many times before I never want to do it again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:27:25 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4369 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »

Mother 3 has timing issues on emulators that make doing the button-presses-timed-with-the-music thing in the battle system not work right.
I'm weirdly glad to hear this.  I always thought I sucked at the Mother 3 attack commands.

Beat Persona 4.  Great finale.  The events surrounding the month of December and the game's final two dungeons (True Ending route) are outstanding.  I still think the dungeons themselves are a major weakness of Persona 3 and 4, but I have nothing but good things to say about most of the Persona 4 mechanics.  I'll be wanting to do a New Game Plus of this very soon. 

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4370 on: January 20, 2013, 01:24:14 AM »

Beat Persona 4.  Great finale.  The events surrounding the month of December and the game's final two dungeons (True Ending route) are outstanding.  I still think the dungeons themselves are a major weakness of Persona 3 and 4, but I have nothing but good things to say about most of the Persona 4 mechanics.  I'll be wanting to do a New Game Plus of this very soon. 

For a game with so many "good ideas" they really went a step back with dungeon design...  But I guess you pick your battles, and the game itself is so battle-oriented game... *shrug*
Man.  That new bonus ending, the "Accomplice" ending, is seriously creepy. :(

Ni No Kuni - Loving the battle system the more I get into it.  Something tells me it may grow tiresome or burdensome later on, but all is good new.  I'm also glad familiars aren't "caught" (a la Pokemon).   I got the chick in my party, so yay.  I like how the third dude to join you looks like some rockstar alcoholic. 

Anyways... The game encourages some grinding, a few levels will easily make the difference between suffering a pain in the ass or skipping along through the dungeons.  I also love the fact you don't abandon the home world, the game plays the idea of "two worlds" very well and makes sure your transportation isn't a one-way ticket... which is refreshing from how these plots otherwise tend to play out.  I also like the interactions with NPCs.

A surprising nitpick is the lack of inspiring monster designs.  Boss and character design is fantastic, but the monsters otherwise are kind of lackluster and are usually large, cartooney animals.  Normally I don't care, but this is Ghibli!  If there was anything they could do, you'd think... 

A definite problem I have is the text.  Being a Level-5 game the dialogue isn't exactly very clever, fetching and immersing.  This becomes annoying when NPCs and minor plot points tend to run on, and when Oliver can't make sense of anything half the time.  However, I have a bigger issue with Drippy being really annoying to read given that they type his lines with an accent in mind ("What are ou douin?" as a bad example of this).  The font is somewhat small and spaced as well, so constantly reading it can be tiresome and straining.

Typical Ghibli style, the game almost starts with a scene of the main character finishing breakfast by swallowing his food within five minutes and eating it like a duck (no chewing).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4371 on: January 20, 2013, 05:30:11 AM »

Xenoblade - I got to the point where the Mechon attack the city. I'm now busting shit up with the Monado. But then I encountered this big face mask boss that requires a chain attack to "break" it. Well, for the life of me, I couldn't do one! Yes, I saw the ultra=brief tutorial on it, but I blanked during the battle. Something about matching colors or some other nonsense. I go to check in the manual, and there's no Chain Attack section! Ugh. Ended up just turning the game off because I couldn't hurt the guy, and couldn't flee the battle.

All you need to know is that Pink Arts inflict Break and Green Arts are the ones that inflict Topple. With a full party gauge (blue bar on the top left corner of the screen) press up on the D-Pad at any point on the arts' pallet (doesn't matter where) until the center circle is replaced by a blue circle with a white triangle symbol in the middle then press that. Then have Shulk hit the boss with one of his Pink arts and it should switch to Reyn where you use his Green art to topple the boss (then have Dunban do whatever; Monado Buster, Gale Strike, whatever).

Or to summarize: If you're playing as Shulk: Chain Attack, Pink, Green, Profit. If you're playing as Reyn: Wait for Shulk/Dunban to inflict Break, Chain Attack, Green, Profit.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4372 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »

All you need to know is that Pink Arts inflict Break and Green Arts are the ones that inflict Topple. With a full party gauge (blue bar on the top left corner of the screen) press up on the D-Pad at any point on the arts' pallet (doesn't matter where) until the center circle is replaced by a blue circle with a white triangle symbol in the middle then press that. Then have Shulk hit the boss with one of his Pink arts and it should switch to Reyn where you use his Green art to topple the boss (then have Dunban do whatever; Monado Buster, Gale Strike, whatever).

Or to summarize: If you're playing as Shulk: Chain Attack, Pink, Green, Profit. If you're playing as Reyn: Wait for Shulk/Dunban to inflict Break, Chain Attack, Green, Profit.

Thanks for this. I'm so stupid I didn't realize that there was a command for it on the battle meter/palette thingy. I saw the blue lines connecting the three characters and just hoped something would happen after I used a break art.. The freakin' manual doesn't even tell you what you just told me! How stupid. I'm sure the in-game tutorial explains it, but I was obviously spacing when that was being shown.
Thanks!

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4373 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »

i just finished Remember 11. I think.

I'm confused.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4374 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »

I'm weirdly glad to hear this.  I always thought I sucked at the Mother 3 attack commands.

Same here. I was wondering why I'm only getting one extra attack every other time when I'm pretty good at rhythm stuff. :/

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4375 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »

Same here. I was wondering why I'm only getting one extra attack every other time when I'm pretty good at rhythm stuff. :/

Also going out on a limb and suggesting that the timing issues were probably why you quit the game the first time because that happens to a lot of people :|

o/` I do not dream o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4376 on: January 20, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »

Also going out on a limb and suggesting that the timing issues were probably why you quit the game the first time because that happens to a lot of people :|

I quit when I got stymied at a boss fight a ways into the game (I think I had removed 4 pins?) and the lack of success with timed attacks didn't help.  I had intended to finish, but my laptop bricked a few months later and I lost almost everything, including a lot of school papers, saved games, etc. that I would have preferred keeping :(.  That was at least four years ago. 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4377 on: January 20, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »

Speaking of computer troubles, I was on a very important story scene in Mother 3, and a character, who had been beating around the bush, was finally gonna make what I assume is a stunning and horrific revelation...but then my computer froze. Literally seconds before he was about to say it.
Neither Words nor youtube videos could not express my rage.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4378 on: January 20, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »

talking emulation makes me nervous as I don't know what is kosher and what is not.... but if anyone wants to know how I've gotten around A TON of emulator/rom-related bugginess (and increased the joy of playing via such methods....) just pm' me..... don't get your hopes up too much though. my method does require some elbow work as well as hardware and is limited to genesis, super famicom, GBC and GBA games but has proven totally worth it in the end as far as I am concerned.

In other news, (and speaking of stuff that never saw the light of day outside of japan) I finally polished off Seiken Densetsu 3 two days ago! Woo- hoo!!! That one has plagued me since I was like 10 years old and tried to play it couch co-op with a buddy of mine..... we both decided deciphering the game via hard copy translation was more trouble than it was worth.... It was the first import title I ever bought.... I'll never forget how excited I was ordering that, Dragon Ball Z hyper dimension and Star Ocean with a super famicom converter for christmas.... good times... good times.....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:36:31 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4379 on: January 20, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

My first import was Romancing SaGa 3~~~

Anyway.

Dark Souls - Got the Wolf Ring, a repairbox, and levelled up.

La Mulana - Got the Chain Whip (it was incredibly easy to do this time, wtf?), Diviner Sensation, Game Collection 1, uh... got another life orb and the water temple gem. Beyond that kind of stuck again unless there's more going on in the twin dungeon than I realize.

SimCity 4, The Last Remnant, and Distant Worlds are on the agenda for tonight.

--- edit ---

Beat Ellmac in La Mulana.
Code:
Opened up the moon temple and another part of the twin dungeon. Shit just got REAL interesting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:00:43 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: