Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334830 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 429670 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4470 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »

Don't do acid.

Stick with shit that grows.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4471 on: February 06, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »

Finished the Walking Dead.
That is one unhappy game.

Nier left me like " D: " for like 80% of story segments.  Maybe next time I'm feeling sad I'll have a proper fix.

I don't know how I completely forgot about Nier after playing it so recently. Yeah, two unhappiest games this gen are two of the best.

Also, Yoda is right. Dead Space 1 is great.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4472 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

Dead Space 3 apparently has... in-game microtransactions for speeding up being able to make new weapons. Yeeeeeeah wtf?

I'm really curious, by the way, at which point gaming hardware is going to plateau. I mean at some point it's going to get too expensive to develop games that really USE it to the full extent that it can be used, at which point why develop the hardware further? Dev time and dev costs are way up, and games cost more as a result of that, and you also get crappy DLC and microtransactions to try to recoup development costs, I guess.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4473 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »

I picked up Hakuouki again so I can romance the shit out of some 1800's Shinsengumi samurai. Finished up the Okita path, which was okay, and now I'm doing the Harada path, which already is shaping up to be the better of the two. Let's see if it has staying power.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4474 on: February 06, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »

I picked up Hakuouki again so I can romance the shit out of some 1800's Shinsengumi samurai. Finished up the Okita path, which was okay, and now I'm doing the Harada path, which already is shaping up to be the better of the two. Let's see if it has staying power.

Is it worth the purchase?  Thinking of gettin' mah samurai luvin on and maybe grabbing Corpse Party too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4475 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:17 PM »

Is it worth the purchase?  Thinking of gettin' mah samurai luvin on and maybe grabbing Corpse Party too.

I like to think so, but I'm a Visual Novel fanboy so I'm like crazy biased. It does have some nice features for going through the game, such as being able to skip already read text and rewinding to a previous point in the text (which is really nice for when you make a wrong decision, haha). The heroine leaves a lot to be desired, but the dudes are fun and varied enough that each stands out in some way. The romance aspect has been pretty low-key so far, and nothing romantic really begins to occur until you get into the various dudes' routes. The music is okay but the visuals are pretty.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4476 on: February 07, 2013, 07:27:50 AM »

Played some Persona 4 Arena at my buddy's Super Bowl party, and had such a good time that I picked up the game for myself two days ago.  HOLY CRAP story mode has a lot of dialog.  Combat is excellent, and I particularly like using Kanji, Mitsuru, and the MC. 

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »

Three years after buying it, I finally got started on Metal Gear Solid 4. I don't want to be completely lost when Revengeance comes out and, come on, Old Snake.

As easy as it is, I'm just so not used to MGS or PS3 controls these days so the first several minutes were confusing. I already tell its going to be a clusterfuck story wise. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4478 on: February 07, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »

^If I remember right in the main menu there's a 'Briefing' option there that plays the prologue of Mission 1 and gives more context to the story.
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4479 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »

Final Fantasy IX Journal: About 17 hours In

Note:  This game is over a decade old but it should be noted that SPOILERS will be in this log.

Story/Characters:  I just got to Lindblum for the second time.  I like the story and characters, I don't LOVE them but they are good.  Garnet and Zidane interact well and Vivi seems kind of awesome.  I'm really interested in seeing the part he has to play in the endgame.  Steiner is good for a few laughs but for the most part he is whatever.  I did laugh when Zidane was in a shop and saw a suit of armor and said something like "Who would ever buy that rusty thing?", then a few minutes later you are in the shop with Steiner and he looks at it and wants to buy it.  Things like that add quite a bit to the game  world in my opinion.  I also enjoyed when Zidane asked a girl out to go flying or whatever, then forgot who he had asked and hit Garnet up about it.  Those are just little things, but to me it's things like that that really make me enjoy the world within and rpg.  At this point the story on a grand scale isn't really good or bad.  It isn't anything new, but maybe it doesn't have to be.  It's engaging enough to draw me back to the game. 

Battle System:  At first it didn't seem like much, but now I'm addicted to leveling equipment up and gaining the abilities.  We'll see what happens, I have done very little grinding so far.  I think that the way the leveling is set up it might make grinding a little more enjoyable.  I was pretty excited when I got AUTO POTION for Zidane.  I just got Garnets first Eidolon but I haven't used him yet.  I sure hope the cinematic for his spell isn't like the ones in Final Fantasy VIII.  Those were soooo long, about the 5000 time I summoned Ifrit I wanted him to die.

Card Game: I've only played a couple games, meh.  It doesn't seem like anything exciting.  I'll try to play more before the next game journal.

Dislikes:  Meeting new characters and not being able to tell what they look like because of the dated graphics.  Random Encounters.  When I get pushed out to the World Map I tend to want to get right to where the story is leading me.  It's very frustrating when I take two steps, encounter a random battle, take two steps and encounter another one.  Then after a few minutes of making my way across the map I realize that I am at a dead end and have to turn around.  To me, this is where the game shows its age.  I think that that type of design is rare these days and I think it's a good thing.

Random Thoughts:  I like the cut scenes without voice actors, it really makes the developer use the characters expressions to convey what is happening.  The other thing I realized is that I would never want to play this game if it was "voiced".  Some of the things that are said would just sound ridiculous coming out of my tv.  It works when I have to read it.  If Steiner was voiced.....I would want to kill him.

So far:  I'm having a great time.  It's such a fun silly world, I hope I am only 1/3 of the way through this experience.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4480 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

@daedalus

A tip let Freya win, you will get it later.

The True Growlanser
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4481 on: February 08, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »

@daedalus

A tip let Freya win, you will get it later.

Too late...

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4482 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »

A-Train's 9 underlying simulator stuff really seems to be lacking in complexity in a lot of ways. I'll expand on this further, but the big things that are annoy me are the lack of any traffic model, snow/rain having no impact on how buses/trains runs, and a really simplified maintenance/payment model (trains never break down, you don't have to worry about driver wages, etc). And there's no metric for gauging population happiness as a whole, which kind of hurts it as a pure city builder a lot because you can't get any feedback on how your city, as a city, is doing. You have money. Money is your only metrid for anything.

Still the game is quite lovely to LOOK at, so I mean I'll probably use it for designing cities, in the editor. Just... not playing it so much. Which is what I almost feel like it was designed for anyway.

For comparison I briefly played Cities of Motion. While that doesn't have any real city builder aspect, the transport company stuff is a LOT more functional. Then again I've heard traffic is prone to gridlocking, although I think that may be a function of the maps.

Crysis - Progressing through Relic. Accidentally blew up a truck. Not sure how to get to the KPA base I'm supposed to get to. Also want to fiddle with the settings some more -- the suit's invisibility mode is really taxing for some reason and I SHOULD be able to turn that down independently. I think I might go out to Clintonville tomorrow and see if I can find any copies of Farcry :3 (Additional standard gaming wanderlust is making me want to play OFP and Outcast).

Dead Space - I was going to play Amnesia at some point but I have come to realize that I am a total wimp :( Got the circuit board for the tram.

I don't recall finding FFIX's encounter rate particularly high.

Anyway, not sure my laptop can run it, but Human Revolution is on sale somewhere so I might get that. Looks sort of neatish. Any recommends/disrecommends?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:55:22 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4483 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »

Card Game: I've only played a couple games, meh.  It doesn't seem like anything exciting.  I'll try to play more before the next game journal.

Dislikes:  Meeting new characters and not being able to tell what they look like because of the dated graphics.  Random Encounters.  When I get pushed out to the World Map I tend to want to get right to where the story is leading me.  It's very frustrating when I take two steps, encounter a random battle, take two steps and encounter another one.  Then after a few minutes of making my way across the map I realize that I am at a dead end and have to turn around.  To me, this is where the game shows its age.  I think that that type of design is rare these days and I think it's a good thing.

Don't worry about the card game. It sucks.

Also don't worry about the not being able to tell what new people look like. You'll know who the important ones are due to either cutscenes or prominent character designs. And don't worry too much about the random encounter rate on the world map, you'll rarely have more than a minutes worth of travel time in any direction on foot without those encounters.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4484 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »

Lots of SWTOR, The Secret World, FTL, and StarCraft II this weekend.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: