Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 359146 times)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4560 on: February 17, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »

I'm starting a final KotOR2 playthrough with the restoration mod.
Help me out here people... Jedi Knight or Sith Lord?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4561 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »

I'm starting a final KotOR2 playthrough with the restoration mod.
Help me out here people... Jedi Knight or Sith Lord?

Whichever one gets you the lesbian romantic option. :v

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4562 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »

Picked up P4G at last, today. Looking forward to starting it this week.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4563 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »

Bought Golden Sun Dark Dawn for $10 brand new.  Woo!!

Makes me wonder why Camelot has been damned to making shitty Mario spin offs and not Golden Sun 4 and finish the story.

Burned out on Fire Emblem, hooking people up takes a lot of work.  Henry is awesome for chats.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4564 on: February 18, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »

So, against all odds, I managed to complete Yarne's paralogue on my first go.

First turn involved me picking a fight with both teams for a shitload enemies to tackle (no reinforcements thankfully), and splitting my team in two to handle both teams simultaneously, while sending Panne up to recruit her son and future Mr. Avatar. Frederick and Lissa got iced on the enemy phase (thank god for casual) due to a shitty dodge fail (nailed on a 10% to hit). Avatar rallied spectrum.

Second turn involved me being an idiot and sending Gregor (who is rather behind in levels) paired with my Avatar (who's still fragile as all hell) into the western fray alongside Panne, Olivia, Yarne, and Severa. Que enemy phase that saw Gregor eat it on a bullshit dodge failure early on. Leaving my Avatar all alone to get absolutely swarmed by almost a dozen enemies (including at least one forged Rexcalibur user). Que my Avatar's finest moment as she dodgetanks almost every hit aimed at her (out of the 9+ enemies that took a potshot at her, each with 50~60% odds, only three hit, leaving my Avatar alive at only 2 HP).

Third turn involved my Avatar absolutely surrounded by enemies (out of the 12 available spots surrounding my Avatar, 9 of them were occupied by enemies, 2 by allies, and one by an impassible wall (can't even fly over it)) with only 2 HP to spare. Severa can clear two enemies on the north left side of the clusterfuck, but can't get to the right where a forged Rexcalibur toting Valkyrie is laying in wait, nor can my Avatar move far enough to escape from even the Generals through the northwest. Panne or Olivia can gib one additional enemy on the left side of the clusterfuck but Olivia is too weak to handle anybody but a Sage or the Valkyrie, and Panne can handle anybody but the Valkyrie is too much of a crap shoot to rely upon (needs 2 hits to KO, either Olivia support attacks or the Valk gets a shot off and potentially oneshots my Wyvern Lord); either way they're not enough to punch through the right side of the clusterfuck let alone deal with anybody coming over from the eastern front. My one remaining healer is Cherche who only has a Mend staff at best and is mired in the eastern front along with Virion, Donnel, Chrom, and Gaius. The good news is that she's right next to Chrom and can hit up the convoy for a Physic staff. The bad news is that her magic stat sucks so much she can't even reach my Avatar with the staff let alone heal enough HP to survive anything more than a stray spear. The south is all but blocked by a wall and there are forests everywhere south and to the east of that wall and eat way too much move for anybody to move through....

....save for my Warrior Gaius with his Acrobat skill. He proceeds to charge all the way from the east and directly behind the clusterfuck surrounding my Avatar and proceeds to punch a hole into it, allowing my Avatar an avenue of escape over the forests to the south where none of the Generals, Sages, Paladins, or Valkyries can reach her. Severa and Panne get to work on dismantling the clusterfuck and the match is mostly uneventful thereafter.

By turn four almost everybody is dead save for the bosses who finally start coming after me. The next five turns involve me leading the General boss around in circles while Panne visits every village for loot.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4565 on: February 18, 2013, 06:38:42 AM »

Currently switching between Fire Emblem and Kingdom Hearts 3D. So far I like Fire Emblem more, but I am holding off on the inevitable major grind fest for all supports until some more of the DLC comes out so that I can grind for an unnecessary unstoppable force of destruction at the same time.

I'm findign Kingdom Heart's controls a little bit less inuitive than in the other games in the series because it is a little harder for me to between the "control" stick and the D-pad on the 3DS than on a PS2 controller or heck even a PSP. Oh well I'll manage somehow or another.

Makes me wonder why Camelot has been damned to making shitty Mario spin offs and not Golden Sun 4 and finish the story.

Burned out on Fire Emblem, hooking people up takes a lot of work.  Henry is awesome for chats.
I have to say....you overpaid for Dark Dawn. Maybe I am just being harsh, but I really did not like that game. I found it to be incredibly boring and was not interested in the plot(which I have already completely forgotten other than you control children) in the slightest. I now dread the possibility of ever replaying Golden Sun 1 or 2 in fear that they may have been just as bad and my high school self was just unable to properly judge quality. >.>
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4566 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »

I'm replaying Persona 3 FES, intending to get 100% compendium and to beat the secret boss.  Right now in early October and on pace to... do at least okay on those fronts.  After I finish this if I'm still hungry I'll play The Answer.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4567 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »

I have to say....you overpaid for Dark Dawn. Maybe I am just being harsh, but I really did not like that game. I found it to be incredibly boring and was not interested in the plot(which I have already completely forgotten other than you control children) in the slightest. I now dread the possibility of ever replaying Golden Sun 1 or 2 in fear that they may have been just as bad and my high school self was just unable to properly judge quality. >.>

You'll get used to KH3Ds controls, I actually thought that by the end, it was one of the stronger titles in the series... but I think I'm alone there.

I'm pretty cool with Dark Dawn though, I find it a pretty good successor in that it's really nothing more than a 3D version of the GBA games (really, little has changed).  The Lost Age is still the tits of the series.

If anything, I hate the emotional response things... You can't talk, but you can "be" happy/ecstatic/gloomy/angry.  The responses are as vague and ambiguous as the reaction are to them, so I'm just responding *really* happy to everything people say -- I'm a real go-getter.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4568 on: February 18, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »

Other than the stupid dream demons (give me party members!), I thought KH3DS had great combat. The world design and plot were god awful though, among the worst in the series: worlds were basically skinned boxes for you to jump around on with really half-ass Disney 'stories.' It was like 20 hours of filler and then a two hour cutscene that only further obfuscated things. I miss Donald and Goofy as party members, too.

Agee with Dark Dawn basically being a retread; I hope it gets a sequel, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:21:04 PM by Taelus » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4569 on: February 18, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

The tl;dr of Golden Sun. Do you want to read? Y/N

>Y

Okay then.*wobble wobble*

*wobble wobble* Golden Sun is like Final Fantasy IV where when you first play it you think its this great game with an involved story and interesting characters.*bounce bounce* And then after a few years of playing around with other JRPGs you go back to them and find them to be anemic and boring slogs that don't even look that nice and then you wonder what happened to the fun challenging gameplay or the interesting characters and deep meaningful dialog and you realize what every other JRPG player has. *wobble wobble* The fun challenging gameplay was hiding in better games than these,*bounce bounce* and the interesting characters are just the exact same characters everybody else uses, and the deep meaningful dialog were just cheap emotional shots and endless prattling as nothing from what you remembered is really there, all the details you took away from your first play through aren't apparent at all due to the muddy definitions being tossed about along with a cascade of other details that you have no clue about nor will you since the game forgets them faster than you do, and the same with the characters and locations that you also don't recall *wobble wobble* since they were just introduced at one point to facilitate the plot then disappear immediately afterwards while characters you thought had real significance turn out to be sitting on the sidelines contributing absolutely nothing, and you come across dungeons and towns that literally exist to be a stopping point for your characters to get them up to the level for the next forgettable town/dungeon combo which introduces an item *bounce bounce* that you need all of once to get past that one specific obstacle that could be cleared in any number of ways but wont be because the older items have already been collected *wobble wobble* and thus aren't allowed to be useful now that you've cleared that one specific obstacle aside, from that one obstacle thrown into every other dungeon to encourage you to waste precious item space on them instead of treating it like the disposable one use item that it is.*bounce bounce*

Sorry. What was I talking about again?

>N

Alright then.*bounce bounce*

*wobble wobble* Golden Sun is like Final Fantasy IV where when you first play it you think its this great game with an involved story and interesting characters.*bounce bounce* And then after a few years of playing around with other JRPGs you go back to them and find them to be anemic and boring slogs that don't even look that nice and then you wonder what happened to the fun challenging gameplay or the interesting characters and deep meaningful dialog and you realize what every other JRPG player has. *wobble wobble* The fun challenging gameplay was hiding in better games than these,*bounce bounce* and the interesting characters are just the exact same characters everybody else uses, and the deep meaningful dialog were just cheap emotional shots and endless prattling as nothing from what you remembered is really there, all the details you took away from your first play through aren't apparent at all due to the muddy definitions being tossed about along with a cascade of other details that you have no clue about nor will you since the game forgets them faster than you do, and the same with the characters and locations that you also don't recall *wobble wobble* since they were just introduced at one point to facilitate the plot then disappear immediately afterwards while characters you thought had real significance turn out to be sitting on the sidelines contributing absolutely nothing, and you come across dungeons and towns that literally exist to be a stopping point for your characters to get them up to the level for the next forgettable town/dungeon combo which introduces an item *bounce bounce* that you need all of once to get past that one specific obstacle that could be cleared in any number of ways but wont be because the older items have already been collected *wobble wobble* and thus aren't allowed to be useful now that you've cleared that one specific obstacle aside, from that one obstacle thrown into every other dungeon to encourage you to waste precious item space on them instead of treating it like the disposable one use item that it is.*bounce bounce*

Sorry. What was I talking about again?

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4570 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »

Other than the stupid dream demons (give me party members!), I thought KH3DS had great combat. The world design and plot were god awful though, among the worst in the series: worlds were basically skinned boxes for you to jump around on with really half-ass Disney 'stories.' It was like 20 hours of filler and then a two hour cutscene that only further obfuscated things. I miss Donald and Goofy as party members, too.

Wait... there was a KH game with non-shallow-Disney-replica worlds?  I loved KH BBS, but their idea of Neverland ruined Neverland for me.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4571 on: February 19, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »

Wait... there was a KH game with non-shallow-Disney-replica worlds?  I loved KH BBS, but their idea of Neverland ruined Neverland for me.

KH1 and 2; BbS at least didn't make them feel like such an afterthought-- there was actual interaction with the Disney characters. It's been on a downward spiral. DDD's levels are literally just giant boxes for using the flowmotion. CREATIVE BANKRUPTCY MEI GOD SQUARE MAKE KH3

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »

Beat MGS4. That's a lot of cutscenes.

Last fight was easy, I don't know WTF people were talking about.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4573 on: February 19, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »

Beat MGS4. That's a lot of cutscenes.

Last fight was easy, I don't know WTF people were talking about.

Was a tedious and way too long pain in the ass for me on Big Boss or whatever the mode was called. Also they used the shitty EDIT: music from MG: Twin Snakes instead of the awesome music from the original game, which pretty much killed it for me.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4574 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:33 AM »

Twin Snakes is not even canon, so you can make like it never happened.

I don't know WTF people were talking about.

...you mean the ending?
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: