Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:41:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334683 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 425840 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4590 on: February 20, 2013, 04:36:14 AM »

How many people go through the same experience, of not realizing how very real and very serious mortality can be?

And then you do get that sudden realization and it's terrifying and hard to keep down, and you're staying up till four or five in the morning every night because you can't stand losing consciousness, especially not when it's dark out, and then everything makes you jumpy and you're sleep deprived to the point of being incoherent and inexplicably /cold/ all the time. And it goes on for months.

Or maybe that's just me.

I can relate to that. But you know what Quina says...

Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4591 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »

hahaha.  This game had some pretty funny lines.  I'm not sure exactly what I meant by lighthearted.  I mean, on the one hand you enter these towns and it is a very laid back environment.  I absolutely see the broader dark themes, I don't know....I think they did a pretty good job of mixing it up.  I wish they had done more character development for Eiko and Freya(Sir Fratley anyone?).

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4592 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »

How many people go through the same experience, of not realizing how very real and very serious mortality can be?

And then you do get that sudden realization and it's terrifying and hard to keep down, and you're staying up till four or five in the morning every night because you can't stand losing consciousness, especially not when it's dark out, and then everything makes you jumpy and you're sleep deprived to the point of being incoherent and inexplicably /cold/ all the time. And it goes on for months.

Or maybe that's just me.
Trust me, dude, your not alone. When you actually stop everything you are doing and start truly thinking about it, it is a terrifying thing. At least for me. I've gotten almost to the point of a nervous breakdown on several occasions. As I get older I find it creeping into my mind more often. I have to force myself NOT to think about my mortality. Vicious circle.
aaaanyway...

Dead Space 3 - Tau Volantis is much more interesting than the overused derelict spaceships. The environment is beautiful, and just oozes cold and alone.
I love the ability to construct my own weapons from all sorts of parts. I've spent far too much time on the work bench playing around with my creations.
I've played about 12 hours, and am 40% complete. I'm not sure if this # counts extra stuff, or is just for the main story.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4593 on: February 20, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

Or maybe that's just me.

I can relate to that. But you know what Quina says...

I'm absolutely adoring all this FF9 talk, I definitely do think it is one of the better FFs and really, for lack of better words, hit its stride.

Mesh:  I'm not the best for figuring out themes and nuances in games or other media, and I never really looked at FF9 as a dark game till you pointed it out and got me thinking about it.  What I was talking about with FF8 was when you went into several paragraphs of detail about the plot but also the infamous "icicle impaling" scene that goes completely forgotten.

Aeo:  I love the occasional long paragraph rants you do.  They're incredibly truthful and perfectly funny.  Keep posting here!

Taelus:  You actually said it best in the actual FF9 thread and you said something important to being a fan in general -- you love it despite its flaws.  Beautifully said!  And on topic of Game Journal --- fuck y'all, I like Golden Sun Dark Dawn!!  Haha.  There's a lot of shitty games I love actually.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4594 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »

@Daedalus: For how late Eiko was presented I think they did a goob job with her.

Sir Fratley character did needed more exposure I agree, but since part of the his reason to be is for Freya's story I don't think there's much to complain personally.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4595 on: February 20, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »

I am playing Letterpress with someone named MeshGearFox

Coincidence?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4596 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »

So. . . I am playing Letterpress with a guy named MeshGearFox

Vanguard I got the nick from a song title. There's a bunch of MeshGearFoxen on the internet.

What I was talking about with FF8 was when you went into several paragraphs of detail about the plot but also the infamous "icicle impaling" scene that goes completely forgotten.

Ffffffff I was vaguely thinking I was supposed to remember SOMETHING I'd said lately, and THAT was it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4597 on: February 20, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »

Hahaha

I saw the name and figured it was a long shot.

I won, for the record.

/disappears

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4598 on: February 21, 2013, 03:22:02 AM »

What I was talking about with FF8 was when you went into several paragraphs of detail about the plot but also the infamous "icicle impaling" scene that goes completely forgotten.

Ffffffff I was vaguely thinking I was supposed to remember SOMETHING I'd said lately, and THAT was it.

To be fair though, FFVIII forgets about that shortly after Squall's fake out death (aside from making it Edea's Limit Break instead of her tentacle hair (which wasn't even properly animated and made the scene where Riona trying to tag her with the Sorcerers' Collar somewhat less creepy and far less threatening (since it wasn't telekinesis) than it could've been and was respectfully)).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4599 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »

System Shock 2 - Got the elevator back online. Trying to figure out what I should upgrade next. I could take a level in modify, or I could mess around with Psi stuff. I also have an energy saber I could start upgrading towards.

I did find a broken assault rifle, although I don't want to put the levels into repair I need to unjam it.

I need to play something cute and soothing now.

Also discovered that I tend to misread magma as smegma so I really, really need to stop reading Dwarf Fortress LPs.

ETS2 - Took out a bank loan and bought a truck. It's a Renault. I fucking hate Renaults but it was the only thing in my price range. Anyway, hauled a load of toys to Prague. Hit like three cars. Somehow wasn't fined. I think THEY ran into ME.

I don't usually go for DLC unless it's bundled but I kind of want the Eastern Europe DLC when it comes out. Also considering getting some of SCS's OTHER games since they're all really cheap on Amazon right now.

---edit---

Looks like the DLC is mostly Poland. Given that ETS2 is a Czech game, I expect it to include lots of zombies and fire.

---edit2---

Also played Tunnel B1 briefly after seeing some youtube videos describing it as excessively difficult and confusing. It's pretty straightforward and like a more linear Machinehead. Youtube LPers aren't very bright pumpkins :( Then again maybe I'm finding it fairly easy since the vehicle physics are pretty similar to the ones in ETS2, and nowhere near as slidey as they are in Machinehead.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:58:56 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4600 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

Well, 60 hours later and I have finished up Fire Emblem: Awakening on hard classic mode. I had not played a game that long in probably at least 3-4 years. Games these days usually wear on me quickly, but especially RPG's since they are usually incredibly time consuming and I don't have as much time to play games anymore. That said, this game was truly one of the best RPG's I've played in forever (especially among SRPG's). It's the new pinnacle for the series and I already can't wait for the next installment. It never got old and I did a ton of extra stuff (which I simply don't do in games anymore unless I love them). With Final Fantasy taking a dip in quality the past couple of years, Fire Emblem has kind of taken the mantle as my favorite series. I bought a 3DS for this game and it was totally worth it! If you haven't played it and like SRPG's, Awakening is a must play. The new options and gameplay additions are absolutely fantastic. The core gameplay stays the same, but they always add in new nuggets to improve the experience. It's not a revolution, but an evolution (and an incredibly addictive one). If it wasn't for the fact that I have Metal Gear Rising to play, I would probably replay this game with stuff carried over into a new record right now.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4601 on: February 22, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »

sYSTEM Shock 2 - Up to hydroponics. Got the first canister.

Thinking of dropping some points into modify and cyber affinity so that I can hack my laser pistol to have extra charge. The laser pistol in overcharge mode is pretty useful against the nurses, but it runs out fast. Got nurses researched, which is useful. Still can't find sodium anywhere. Also have access to another OS upgrade but I'm not toooo sure which to take.

May wanna drop some points into END for the extra health.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4602 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »

To be fair though, FFVIII forgets about that shortly after Squall's fake out death (aside from making it Edea's Limit Break instead of her tentacle hair (which wasn't even properly animated and made the scene where Riona trying to tag her with the Sorcerers' Collar somewhat less creepy and far less threatening (since it wasn't telekinesis) than it could've been and was respectfully)).

It was probably one of few instances where an FF hero is fatally wounded, and the game does NOTHING with it.  They missed their change for serious dramz.  I actually think the staff as on shrooms through half of the development process.

...but it DOES have hockey player enemies... My Canadian Blood warms up to the thought of it!!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: February 23, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

At the end of Act 4 (or file R-004) in MGRR. (Sundowner fight) Fun stuff. It's hard at times but I do love this game. Platinum was a good choice.

And farming credits in ME3MP so I can unlock the new stuff when the last MP DLC is out next week. Which means a lot of gold matches...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4604 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

SS2 - I think I'm about to give up on this game. This time it's because FUCKING MIDWIVES

I need hugs :(

Also the noise that plays when you stick the canisters in the environmental control things is a fucking jolly lovely noise.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:21:31 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: