Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 359444 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4635 on: February 27, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »

ok Planescape is awesome. Finally playing it after all these years.

Yoda the first part of planescape is kind of the worst btw.

Also keep a lot of backup saves for experimenting.

Also make sure you're playing with the fanmod that re-adds all the cut content. I think gog.com refers to it on the store page.

Worst as in not a great representation of the game? Because I loved the beginning of Planescape as well.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4636 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »

The beginning of Torment is perfectly fine.  Unless you mean like the very beginning (mortuary), which is a little dull, but that part doesn't really last very long.  Things pick up as soon as you're out and wandering around the city.

But Mesh complains about everything...

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4637 on: February 27, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »

Well, I thought the Mortuary and the first little bit outside of it kind of sucked, but that's partially context (and partially the Mortuary just not really being in sync with the rest of the game in its own way). But more, I mean like... my initial impression of PST was that it was kind of needlessly verbose, over-written, and pretentious -- but the more I played it it... effectively turned everything I thought the game was doing upside down. Good example of this. The stated theme of the game is "What can change the nature of a man?" Which sounds incredibly navel-gazey at first, but the way the game handles it it isn't, at all.

I think it's more the case that I just didn't/don't really trust vidyagame writers that much, although in a world where SHE IMPALED HIM WITH A FUCKING ICICLE HOW DO YOU JUST IGNORE THAT... well, once bitten, twice shy, and all that jazz.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4638 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »

And with Dead or Alive 5's story mode, I've got my Four in February. Now nobody can say I don't participate in that retarded monthly goals fad.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4639 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:14 PM »

ok Planescape is awesome. Finally playing it after all these years.

Yoda the first part of planescape is kind of the worst btw.

Also keep a lot of backup saves for experimenting.

Also make sure you're playing with the fanmod that re-adds all the cut content. I think gog.com refers to it on the store page.

I installed all the mods that fit the game for widescreen and high-res monitors. I didn't install that one you suggested, is that something I can do after starting a game?

I also broke tradition and looked up what stats were most useful in putting points in. As such I plopped tons into wisdom and intelligence

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4640 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:44 PM »

You may have to start a new mod for the content-re-adding mod. I think they're discussed here: http://www.shsforums.net/forum/551-planescape-torment-mods/

Up to Recreation in System Shock 2. Maxed out Energy Weapons. Gonna max out Standard next.

I am getting pretty good at parking in Euro Truck.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:12:36 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4641 on: March 01, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »

Finished KotOR2 with the restoration mod.
Overall, there isn't that much new stuff, but there is a tiny bit after the last boss now.
HK-47 is the one with the most restored content and it really makes him more active in the story as opposed to before where he did nothing.
There's also some closure on the other characters now; which is pretty nice.

And like always... KotOR2 is a game begging to broken

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4642 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »

I'm up to the final bosses in Kingdom Hearts 3D.....and oh wow do I hate the battle system in this game. I'm constantly finding myself dying because the game is not responding as quickly as I want it to. I really just need to grind to an obscene level so I can just obliterate these jerks. >.>
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4643 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

I'm up to the final bosses in Kingdom Hearts 3D.....and oh wow do I hate the battle system in this game. I'm constantly finding myself dying because the game is not responding as quickly as I want it to. I really just need to grind to an obscene level so I can just obliterate these jerks. >.>

I didn't mind the core of the battle system, but I hate the focus on 'absurd action' and monster raising in place of a legitimate party and the slightly more grounded combat in KH2/BbS. I wouldn't be unhappy if flowmotion got the boot in the next game. I definitely felt like the game wasn't as responsive as it should have been, especially in Riku's case.

Also a plot that makes sense pls

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4644 on: March 01, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »

Also a plot that makes sense pls

I thought the worlds in 3D were way better than any others in the previous series (Sora's route especially; Prankster's Paradise goes from a Carnival to under the sea).  But I think they hit a new stride with the battle system in BBS, I loved how there was *always* something to do (magic roulette, shotlock, attacking, summons, super meter to go into your fancy armor -- which stalled gameplay if you didn't install it).  I hate saying I'm not excited for the HD game coming up -- I only want KH 2.5. =/  But it's great we're getting the Director's Cut....10 years later.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4645 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »

Really? I have to say, I agree with your thoughts other than the worlds in 3DS-- I actually thought they were the worst in the series-- just big huge open rooms devoid of anything other than stuff to bounce around on. They sure looked nice, though, especially Tron. I'd really love a combination of the complexity (to the point of being obtuse sometimes) of KH1's worlds with the combat of BbS.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4646 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »

BBS ruined Neverland for me.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4647 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »

BBS ruined Neverland for me.

To this day I'm not entirely sure where anything in Neverland BbS is. I don't think they've EVER gotten Neverland right, except maybe in KH1, and that was just because of the flying boss fight against Cap'n Crunch.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4648 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

KH1's Pirate Ship was a inside the brig, and flying around Big Ben.  The latter was cool, but the former barely made sense within the context of the Disney film.

I've always seen KH words as hollow and sad shadows of the source material.  But I did think KH3D did some cool things:
-- Expanded Traverse Town... alright, that's met with ambivalence becuase who knows why the series keeps coming back to this empty city
-- Made a replica of Notre Dame and shows almost EVERY place from the movie (the Gypsy Sanctuary too)
-- Prankster's Paradise shows Monstro, a Circus tent, the theme park, and even goes underwater
-- Tron I'll give you.  I bareellyy figured out this place, and it wasn't till I did the secret battles I "got" its layout.  But it looked cool.  And I am fond when Squeenix makes models of real people
-- Country of Mouseketeers made a whole opera house and showed other strange parts of the land to even their training ground..the music was lovely too.
-- No Hercules! :D
-- They actually tried their hand at Fantasia.  While the bosses were silly (I did like seeing the Devil/Gargoyle back though), the decision to keep the original music was appreciated.
-- I did like that they gave two versions to the "End of the World" (or whatever dark/sad name the final world got).  Sora got the infamous City from KH2, and Riku got a sort of strange, techy, santuary.

While I didn't dig micromanaging the monsters, I did find something fun in improving (granted, BBS made a simpler, more effective, if not easier to abuse version of this). One thing I admired was having two leads whose unique skill set made it hard for me to pick a favorite between Riku and Sora (this happened to me with BBS' leads too).  I honestly think the game gets more flack than it deserves, only major issue is the skill tying with monsters can be somewhat tiresome.  But kudos to them for trying something new; I thought it was a great for a handheld title, but I get the faults... I just think they're blown up too much.

I can only wonder and get excited about what's in store for KH3 and hope it's effectively a cumulation of what the devs have learned over the years.

PS.  Notice how my post didn't even TOUCH on plot??  =S
ha..ha....haha....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Trails in the Sky:  Playing through Rolent.  A boring city and part of the game with lovely NPCs.  I wonder if that forest with the fancy but untouched giant ass tree comes back as a relevent location for SC...  Similar, I know one of those giant towers gets no love at all in FC (Saphirl? I think?).

Tales of Eternia:  Beat Undine.  Fuck she's touch -- the game's first "big tough boss".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:37:52 PM by Dice » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4649 on: March 01, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

Actually, good points. The art design in the worlds was all top-notch (and to be honest, I actually remember liking the Fantasia world). I think more what I miss was the multilevel, platforming and kind of "you have to find the exits out of here and explore" deal that KH1 had going on, whereas with BbS, they were definitely great looking, but they felt like big boxes. And actually, I like Traverse Town, even though it is pretty empty. I think it's because it was the first 'world' in a KH1 game and it was full of awesome music and Final Fantays characters running around with Disney characters and it was pretty much the essence of KH.

And I really hope KH3 just decides to act like 3DS didn't happen and go back to the 'save everyone from BbS and fight Xehanort' awesomeness they were brewing with BbS.

I CAN DREAM DAMMIT

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: