Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 06:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329994 Posts in 13523 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 403572 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4665 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

On my way to finishing God of War 3.

Is it just me, or did they seem to really amp up the violence in this one?

No. It made a lot of people (even some fans) feel sick with how violence was portrayed in the game, and it didn't help either that Kratos was a douchebag with his "I'm angry as fuck" shit throughout the entire game that made his character more unlikable than anything else.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4666 on: March 04, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »

No. It made a lot of people (even some fans) feel sick with how violence was portrayed in the game, and it didn't help either that Kratos was a douchebag with his "I'm angry as fuck" shit throughout the entire game that made his character more unlikable than anything else.

That makes me feel vindicated. I played the demo for 3 after I got my PS3. I never played a GoW before, and I walked away thinking, "I really don't want to play as this dude."
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4667 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

I absolutely hate the part where he sacrifices the chick into the cogs of the door so he can get by. Not a fan of that.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4668 on: March 04, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »

I kinda played it going "well, I'm the bad guy in this one." The gods were douches, but Kratos was like 'psh fuck all you I'm going to destroy the world to slake my thirst for revenge." He's not particularly likeable.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4669 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »

It's kind of weird, since Kratos used to have at least some character development.  Sure he was always out for revenge, but at least he had actual reasons.  Particularly in the first game, though even the second isn't too bad in that regard.  In the first PSP game he even displays emotions besides anger.  But as the series went on it just became violence for violence's sake.

Ascension is coming out soon, isn't it?  I don't even care at this point...

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4670 on: March 05, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »

I've enjoyed every GoW so far, although the third wasn't quite as good as 1 and 2. Never played the psp versions, as the scale of the series doesn't fit, in my mind, with a handheld.
This new one just feels like a money grab. Is it even made by the same team?
I'm actually more interested in the new Tomb Raider. It's getting pretty good reviews, too. I won't get it right now, but maybe in a month when it goes on sale.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4671 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »

April Cover Revealed: Thief

Oh. :O

Ooooooh~!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4672 on: March 05, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »

I liked God of War III quite a bit, but I'd agree that the violence is too much.  God of War III was good because: they finally figured out a balanced weapon/magic/skill system (4 cool main weapons similar enough to not be dominated by the Blades but different enough to be interesting, 4 neat magic attacks, an awesome "rage meter" weapon, and 3 serviceable sub-weapons); the massive scale and surprisingly contiguous nature of the environments was downright stunning; and even if the violence was a little over the top, it was satisfying and a little cathartic to murder the Greek pantheon that had been sticking it to Kratos since the beginning of God of War II.  The best death scene was definitely Poseidon right near the beginning. 

I think that God of War II is the best of the bunch, because it had the most interesting mid-game, the best boss fights, and a decent angle with the whole revenge of the Titans business.  The first God of War was good because it established the formula and got things rolling and the third God of War was good because of what I said in that first paragraph.  It's a great trilogy with one decent PSP game, one sub-par PSP game, and a totally unnecessary upcoming prequel. 

Oh yeah, this isn't the God of War topic.  Whoops.  I'm playing Psychonauts and Persona 4. 

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4673 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

Hmmm, somehow I just got my ass kicked in a boss battle in Glory of Heracles...perhaps I need to pay a little more attention to stuff in what I thought was a relatively simple game

Everything's Eventual
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4674 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »

Hmmm, somehow I just got my ass kicked in a boss battle in Glory of Heracles...perhaps I need to pay a little more attention to stuff in what I thought was a relatively simple game

Funny, I was just listening to the battle tracks from that game about 30 minutes ago. What boss? I remember that my sister had a rough time playing...only to find her strategy was a little off. I haven't played the game for a while, but im sure I can sketch out my strategy that saved me throughout.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4675 on: March 06, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

Feels like I'm getting closer to the end of DS3, so I was thinking about what to play next. Go back to Xenoblade or try something new? I checked my wish list on Amazon, and saw Darksiders 2 selling for only $25.95 w/ free shipping. Sold! I liked the first one, despite never finishing the final area.  The sequel sounds like a lot of fun.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4676 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »

Funny, I was just listening to the battle tracks from that game about 30 minutes ago. What boss? I remember that my sister had a rough time playing...only to find her strategy was a little off. I haven't played the game for a while, but im sure I can sketch out my strategy that saved me throughout.

I remember that the game can sometimes make you wish you had more elemental juice as higher end spells/skills tend to guzzle them by the bucket and sadly that not every area is Mount Olympus. Also there's like three different Heracles running around at the point I was at.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4677 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »

Speaking of Planescape: Torment (I know it was like last week, but I needed a segue)

There's a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4678 on: March 06, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

^By the guys who are working on Wasteland 2? Well, they're certainly ambitious, but I wish they had waited a little longer before posting that so we can at least get an idea of how good their output would be. Still interested, though.

Anyways, these past two weeks were spent playing the Etrian Odyssey IV Demo, Etrian Odyssey 1, Etrian Odyssey III, and Etrian Odyseey IV (full game). I'll admit, I'm starting to get Etrian'd out. But I'll try to at least get through the first "stratum" of Etrian Odyssey IV at least before I move onto something else.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4679 on: March 06, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »

Speaking of Planescape: Torment (I know it was like last week, but I needed a segue)

There's a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Some people have donated $10,000. Fuuuuuuck that lol
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: