Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:48:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334534 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 424238 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5040 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »

I'm going to keep him around just for his voice clips, which are fantastically over-the-top.

Amazing. xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5041 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »

The Sea Will Claim Everything - I think I'm almost done with this ;_;
Chrono Trigger - Up to Tyrano Lair. My single biggest problem with 16-bit RPGs is that home isn't a place. Home is when it's mid-June, raining gently, leaves green and membranous and still-new. And I'm sitting on the floor with my dog and playing the PSX version of FFIV and just listening to the battle music on loop. And now all the dogs are dead and it doesn't rain anymore around here.

I need to get back into Euro Truck. That game was holy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5042 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »

Found a disc copy of Darkstalkers Resurrection on the weekend for less than $20 when I picked up Binary Domain, so I've been fooling around with that a bit. I am terrible at it. I'm too used to Tekken Tag 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5043 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

OFF - Up to Zone 2.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5044 on: May 23, 2013, 12:40:57 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tYwOgMJLuBU#t=358s
Why is the NPC named Hyman???  ...I am sorry in advance if someone knows or is named Hyman.  But being a lady, I can't help but giggle a bit.

Valkyrie Profile
Definitely did WAY better with Lezard's Tower this time than last.  The few staircase rooms are *reaally* mean.  Wise sorcerers can cause major damage, those fucking Fatal Glimmers can take you out in one hit if you don't kill them in one round, and the Zombie Dragons are everywhere and...similarly pull 1HKOs.  MEAN.  Funny when the boss is easy.  And I got the Gem of Creation...so, this game is basically beaten from here out.  ....why are so many B and C skills stupid???

Also. When I was young I didn't get this game AT ALL.  But um, in Yumei's lengthy recruitment, did the boy (Fuyuki? Ash Ketchum.) intent to kill her or was it just a part of the circumstance (the lapis would revive her family, not kill her to "be with them").  Never bothered thinking about it, but I can't see it any other way now since she had gone and given up living.

I plan on hitting up VP2 after this for a "good run".  Apparently (I was young and dumb at the time to experiment) basically every important PC on your time is garbage (except Rufus, who is literally a god-ly archer).  I did some GameFaqs reading on the game in general -- oh man, did I ever play that game WRONG.

Tales of Graces
Fodra dungeons suck ass.  And speaking most dungeons in this game suck ass, for me to go out of the way and type it here is meant to emphasize it.  Also, fuck that battery dungeon, I'd rather take on Arcadia than lose IQ points walking through you.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5045 on: May 23, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »

By Fodra dungeon do you mean the forest with all the warping and stuff?  I kind of liked that dungeon...

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5046 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:31 AM »

Recently I've been doing a fair amount of article-writing and proofreading for a Final Fantasy website where I'm a veteran.  That made me realize - I haven't beaten FF VI in something like ten years.  I played it so much in the middle and late 90s that I barely even touched the GBA version.  So I'm remedying that.  Currently around 4 hours in; just finished the Magitek Factory.  I've also done more than the usual amount of introspection on the game.  Two unrelated FF6 comments:

FF VI has a playable final cast of 14 characters.  There are 4 or 5 "knight" characters that can wear the heaviest armor and wield big-damage weapons. There are also 3 or 4 "mage" characters with naturally high Magic (significantly higher than the rest of the cast) and most of whom learn spells naturally.  Is it weird that FF VI has two characters in both categories?  Terra and Celes are beasts!  They have stats like mages and equipment like heavily armored knights!  Sure, they're basically FF VI's main characters, but that's still kinda crazy and different for a JRPG. 

Also, I hit the big return to Narshe (after the three groups of characters reunite) around the 2.5- or 3-hour mark.  At that point, you have seven characters in the party and probably have spent significant time with an eighth (Shadow in Sabin's scenario).  That's eight unique, non-throwaway, mostly interesting characters in just three hours!  This shit moves FAST!  The plot escalation feels natural and the pace is better than I remember.  Probably because I didn't really think about things like RPG plot pacing when I was 9 years old. 

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5047 on: May 23, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »

Played VP2 3 times

My normal game was whatever

First crystal run: an archer game (Sha-kon, Phyress, Millidia, Lwyn)
A rather complex game where I abused the elemental SS. Everyone in this team has the 2 best fire based shot and a wisp except Lwyn which is a light fighter but has all 3 throw moves.
- Elemental bows on the archer and elemental sword on Lwyn (Levantine end game)
- Double ranged damage SS + 120% elemental damage + usual other damage SS and -100% resist fire on the enemy SS
- Last SG boss is immune to fire... so that sucked majorly
- Overall, very hard game that was more gimmicky than anything else. Still ends up stronger than my whatever first game, but harsh on a crystal run.

Second crystal run: heavy fighter game (Dylan, Kraad, Zunde, Adonis)
Basically, anyone with Sweep Dive + Dylan. This game was so easy, it was ridiculous. Heavy fighters are retardedly strong and a team of 4 of them will massacre anything even on a 2 crystal game. Start with Dylan doing Full Swing to launch the enemy in the air, then just do Sweep Dive x3 to BOUNCE THE ENEMY FOR A GOLD GEM 3 TIMES. Use regained AP to sweep dive that shit some more and get even more gold gems until out of AP. No boss will survive more than one round, including the SG.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDZfvL1Li8&feature=player_detailpage#t=123s
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:23:12 AM by Annubis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5048 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tYwOgMJLuBU#t=358s
Why is the NPC named Hyman???  ...I am sorry in advance if someone knows or is named Hyman.  But being a lady, I can't help but giggle a bit.

Because he's from Hyrule. :v

Valkyrie Profile
Definitely did WAY better with Lezard's Tower this time than last.  The few staircase rooms are *reaally* mean.  Wise sorcerers can cause major damage, those fucking Fatal Glimmers can take you out in one hit if you don't kill them in one round, and the Zombie Dragons are everywhere and...similarly pull 1HKOs.  MEAN.  Funny when the boss is easy.  And I got the Gem of Creation...so, this game is basically beaten from here out.  ....why are so many B and C skills stupid???

Also. When I was young I didn't get this game AT ALL.  But um, in Yumei's lengthy recruitment, did the boy (Fuyuki? Ash Ketchum.) intent to kill her or was it just a part of the circumstance (the lapis would revive her family, not kill her to "be with them").  Never bothered thinking about it, but I can't see it any other way now since she had gone and given up living.

I plan on hitting up VP2 after this for a "good run".  Apparently (I was young and dumb at the time to experiment) basically every important PC on your time is garbage (except Rufus, who is literally a god-ly archer).  I did some GameFaqs reading on the game in general -- oh man, did I ever play that game WRONG.

That's the problem with VP2 (that and the grinding). The game is up to shenanigans and it doesn't tell you what they are at all. From which Einherjar you recruit, to what Einherjars give you when they split, to how those orbs work or why you should care, to what your plot important people leave behind when they split, to what are the best moves to breaking pieces off of enemies, to where you can find that one piece needed to learn X.

Recently I've been doing a fair amount of article-writing and proofreading for a Final Fantasy website where I'm a veteran.  That made me realize - I haven't beaten FF VI in something like ten years.  I played it so much in the middle and late 90s that I barely even touched the GBA version.  So I'm remedying that.  Currently around 4 hours in; just finished the Magitek Factory.  I've also done more than the usual amount of introspection on the game.  Two unrelated FF6 comments:

FF VI has a playable final cast of 14 characters.  There are 4 or 5 "knight" characters that can wear the heaviest armor and wield big-damage weapons. There are also 3 or 4 "mage" characters with naturally high Magic (significantly higher than the rest of the cast) and most of whom learn spells naturally.  Is it weird that FF VI has two characters in both categories?  Terra and Celes are beasts!  They have stats like mages and equipment like heavily armored knights!  Sure, they're basically FF VI's main characters, but that's still kinda crazy and different for a JRPG. 

Also, I hit the big return to Narshe (after the three groups of characters reunite) around the 2.5- or 3-hour mark.  At that point, you have seven characters in the party and probably have spent significant time with an eighth (Shadow in Sabin's scenario).  That's eight unique, non-throwaway, mostly interesting characters in just three hours!  This shit moves FAST!  The plot escalation feels natural and the pace is better than I remember.  Probably because I didn't really think about things like RPG plot pacing when I was 9 years old. 

Yeah, the first third of the game is pretty great for the 'getting to know the world' segment because you're recruiting people left and right and traveling to new locations, Sabin's exodus in particular is probably my favorite part of the game since you've probably seen what the other characters are up to and unlike the others who are mostly retreading old ground you're out in the middle of nowhere with only a quarter of the firepower you originally had and the road ahead of you is long and treacherous. The game goes easy on you by offering you a free rest stop, a shop, and a guest character to immediately double your chances for survival. But most importantly the journey isn't about Sabin as he's more of a one note character who already had some character development back at Mt. Kolts, but about the people he meets and some of the sights of the world. He bumps into the imperial siege camp outside of Doma and sees both General Leo and Kefka in action and how they differ despite being on the same side, he runs into Cyan as he's trying to solo the siege camp (and the player got to see Cyan from the Doma side of the conflict before Kefka poisons the waterin' hole) as well as inadvertently stumbling onto a few of his quirks, he boards the wrong train in the phantom forest getting a little world mythology tucked into the game and some quirks for Sabin on the side, the ride ends with Cyan demonstrating how much his recent loss is affecting him, there's some falls for flavor, and Gau's introduced and quested for, then its a quick scavenger hunt and a ride down the Serpent's Trench to the finish line of the exodus.

FFIX had something akin to that with Zidane, Vivi, and Freya running off towards Burcemia while Garnet and Steiner make their way back to Alexandria with some help from Zidane's rogue pals.

FFXIII tries to do the same with the first two thirds of the entire fucking game and failed miserably because all you're ever doing is running from point A to point B with no real context for what's happening or why. Hell, the game itself couldn't keep things straight with things like "Did Sazh commit suicide just now? Nope! Squeenix just had to shoehorn that one early cutscene they developed and showed to everybody for the last 3 years of development regardless as to how badly it fits within the events that bookend it.". And they wasted time on trying to pin character development to one note characters since they can only apply character development once and then they're developed and done for the rest of the game so instead they kept spinning their wheels and putting off the meaningful development til the very end when everybody's sick of their shenanigans. Plus there's stuff like introducing weather controlling mechanics for all of exactly one area and not touching it until the mechanic gets rehashed in the sudden sequel. And then the gang finally gets back together, you're given the last of the tutorials on the basics of controlling your party, and then you immediately fight the first fight against the game's big bad.

Outside of those two examples though, FFVIII was the only other numbered game to do concurrent parties doing their own thing but those things were more or less two concurrent dungeons with meaningless results on one end and Squall saving the day on the other (and also the Sorceress's Assassination attempt which was essentially 'everybody gets stupid and incompetent to make Squall look cool' day).

Honestly, I feel that CRPGs could do more with concurrent storytelling every once in a while instead of gluing themselves to random spiky haired silent teenage boy/secret descendant of legend/royalty with terrible fashion sense and an oversized sword of the day.

Anywho, back to FFVI, the silliest thing about Terra and Celes's equipment selection isn't the fact that they are mages with access to heavier equipment but that they have access to female only equipment which is fucking ridiculous in this game. Minerva in particular sport at least some kind of resistance to every major element type in the game with outright immunities to half of them plus they're solid endgame armor with generous stat boosts to boot. What makes them really ridiculous though, at least in the original and PSX versions, was how you could stack enough M.Evade% to become literally untouchable using a combination of Enhancer/Ragnarok/Illumina, Force/Aegis/Paladin Shield, Force Armor, Mystic Veil/Bard Hat, and two White/Zephyr Capes and even without stacking everything towards dodge tanking Terra and Celes and easily end the game on Enhancers, an elemental or magic shield of some kind or a second Enhancer via Genji Gloves, Minervas, Mystic Veils, and whatever for accessories for anywhere between a decent 50 MEvade% to a solid 80 or 90 MEvade% and +14 Magic (+21 if the double Enhancer choice is taken) without any preferential treatment.

FFVI :spergin: aside, right now I've completed chapter 15 of my Lunatic Awakening: The Ironpass Spotman run. Probably should recruit Leif next since I'm getting more deployment spots and I still don't have enough people to fill them all.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5049 on: May 24, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/374906-wizardry-8/66271587

Finished this thing I started two years ago. It's a mod for Wizardry 8. Doubles projectile speeds and cuts out a lot of the animation to try to speed the battles up some.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5050 on: May 24, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate's $245 Kasumi & Momoji Limited Edition -- Siliconera

I want this so bad.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5051 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »

Recently I've been doing a fair amount of article-writing and proofreading for a Final Fantasy website where I'm a veteran.  That made me realize - I haven't beaten FF VI in something like ten years.  I played it so much in the middle and late 90s that I barely even touched the GBA version.  So I'm remedying that.  Currently around 4 hours in; just finished the Magitek Factory.  I've also done more than the usual amount of introspection on the game. 

I am currently replaying FFVI as well. I am heading to the Magitek Factory now, and I am glad to see someone else got the FFVI fever. This game really is the total package: All killer and no filler. I even died a few times by being a little to brave. Celes as an end game character is indeed broken.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5052 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »

Recently I've been doing a fair amount of article-writing and proofreading for a Final Fantasy website where I'm a veteran.  That made me realize - I haven't beaten FF VI in something like ten years.  I played it so much in the middle and late 90s that I barely even touched the GBA version.  So I'm remedying that.  Currently around 4 hours in; just finished the Magitek Factory.  I've also done more than the usual amount of introspection on the game. 

I am currently replaying FFVI as well. I am heading to the Magitek Factory now, and I am glad to see someone else got the FFVI fever. This game really is the total package: All killer and no filler. I even died a few times by being a little to brave. Celes as an end game character is indeed broken.

While maybe not filler, I've never really liked how weirdly placed Crescent Island was in the WoB segment. Half of that scenario felt like it belonged inbetween Zozo and the Magitek Factory or alternatively in between the defense of Narshe and Zozo. Especially since you recruit two characters you otherwise barely have any time to use before you lose your party for the WoR transition and the three statues revelation feels like a Chekhov's Gun that got mounted too late.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5053 on: May 24, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »

"While maybe not filler, I've never really liked how weirdly placed Crescent Island was in the WoB segment. Half of that scenario felt like it belonged inbetween Zozo and the Magitek Factory or alternatively in between the defense of Narshe and Zozo. Especially since you recruit two characters you otherwise barely have any time to use before you lose your party for the WoR transition and the three statues revelation feels like a Chekhov's Gun that got mounted too late."

The whole WoB always felt like a giant lead in to the WoR. The game really starts there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:46:57 PM by Haven » Logged

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5054 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »

The Celestial Castle in Valkyrie Profile is a really crappy dungeon. I can't believe that anyone making this thought it would be a good idea to kick you back to the world map after falling off a platform, wasting 2 periods in the process, and there isn't even a save point before there. Most of the hard mode-exclusive dungeons have been really good (especially the Tombs of Amenti) but this is just incredibly cheap.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: