Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327380 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 385969 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5145 on: June 09, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

Today I decided to try and pick up a backlog and tackle Wild Arms Alter Code F again. Gee golly folks... I hate picking up games I put down a year a ago. I remember the plot well enough but it took all afternoon to familiarize myself with the mechanics again. I shall not falter with this effort! I wanted to play-through Wild Arms since I was kid (when first it bested me). I don't even think I love all that much about the title aside from the soundtrack and setting to be honest, but at this point it is personal!!-LoL

Just play the original. Horrible combat graphics aside, it's generally a far better game, since most of the new stuff in ACF you either don't get to play with much/can entirely lock yourself out of until the post-game.

Also ACF's translation is inexplicable worse, and the music is entirely explicably worse.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Appears to be really short. Dungeons don't have much going on in them. Battle system is really simple. Heavy on the cutscenes. Think I'll pass.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5146 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

I finally took the demon city in Heroes 6.

Now I can work on the orcs.

It took me all day.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5147 on: June 09, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »

Thought the music was fan-tastic in ACF. Thought the combat was ruined. Oh good, 9 enemies at once who use OBSERVE and all move before me, each taking 2-3 hits to kill. I won't be here all day.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5148 on: June 09, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »

Just play the original. Horrible combat graphics aside, it's generally a far better game, since most of the new stuff in ACF you either don't get to play with much/can entirely lock yourself out of until the post-game.

No can do.... I am already 35 hours in. Just got past the the photosphere. In hinesight, I sort of wish I did opt to play the original but many moons ago I already played through 3/4 of that and wanted a fresh take on things.

In all honesty ACF is not without merit IMO. They did an excellent job of maintaining the "feeling" of playing the original (quite literally in terms of control and dungeons and whatnot...) whilst pulling off quite the "facelift", if you catch my meaning. The gameplay sacrifices they made baffle me though.
Thought the music was fan-tastic in ACF. Thought the combat was ruined. Oh good, 9 enemies at once who use OBSERVE and all move before me, each taking 2-3 hits to kill. I won't be here all day.

Yes sir, that classic whistle kick off to the intro has been a ringtone on my phone for quite awhile now. LUV IT!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5149 on: June 09, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

It was fantastic (I'm glad they added a few more tracks too), but for its time, the quality of music in the original was ahead of its time -- it was phenomenal.

The enemy quantity didn't bother me, at least it didn't in WA3 and it's basically a carbon clone of that game.
But yeah, what the hell happened to ACF graphically??  It's a fucking mess; especially after how beautifully WA4 and 5 came out.

It was a worthy attempt, but yeah, like Mesh I see no reason to get ACF when the original was perfectly fine. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5150 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »

Thought the music was fan-tastic in ACF...

Agreed! it's amusing, because the overworld theme took a serious turn from using Morricone's Ectasy of Gold theme to sounding as Spaghetti Western as possible.

Wild ARMs (PS) - Filgaia Overworld
The Good, the Bad, the Ugly - Ectasy of Gold (Ennio Morricone)

Then BAAAAM

Wild Arms Alter Code: F - Filgaia ~ Overworld Theme #1
You got your mariachi style trumpet playing a near exact melody, with an accompanying chorus singing "ahs" and "ohs." Also, don't forget that guitar strumming! Great stuff...

GAME WISE

Nearing the end of Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny...just need to craft my final weapons and accessories. I'd like to make a note that I Aden--your character--is amusing as he is a douchbag. Also, he randomly called a water fountain swanky. What's not to like?

Can't wait for Rune Factory 4...

EDIT: chorusl? Yeah, that's not a word
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:57:29 AM by Wild Armor » Logged

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5151 on: June 09, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »

I started up a new game of FFXII today and just made it back into Rabanastre after running that long ass dungeon after getting Basch. I never did finish this game but I'm going to try to stick with it this time. I forgot how stingy this game is with Gil:(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:38:15 AM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5152 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »

Yeah, my bad, ACF's music was good. I like how the overworld deviates from Morricone's original considerably more anyway.

PDS - Finished disc 1 (at like two hours). I love the style of this game. I don't think it's terribly fun to play.

Dungeon designs have yet to get away from being super simplistic. There's no real variety or strategy in how you deal with the battle (stay in the green area till you fully charge, move to the enemy's weakspot and combo attack), and random battles are too frequent for how long they can last -- also you can set them off by rotating apparently? Not much variety in the special attacks, either. Your special form gets on unique buff based on the form and you can swap stats mid battle, but all of the attacks are... just damage dealing attacks that get progressively strong.

I do like some of the neat optional stuff, like being able to save the baby sandworm in the desert, but... for the price it commands on eBay? For what it's worth, I like Zwei and Orta a lot more.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:25:48 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5153 on: June 10, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »

I started up a new game of FFXII today and just made it back into Rabanaste after running that long ass dungeon after getting Basch. I never did finish this game but I'm going to try to stick with it this time. I forgot how stingy this game is with Gil:(

I got FF12 on day one, and took a break from my intense WoW addiction to play it, and really loved it. I finished the main game and like 75% of the extra content and always wanted to go back and wrap it up. Great game.

Still working on some loose ends on FF6. The move into my home took a zillion times more effort than I though it would.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5154 on: June 10, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »

I started up a new game of FFXII today and just made it back into Rabanastre after running that long ass dungeon after getting Basch. I never did finish this game but I'm going to try to stick with it this time. I forgot how stingy this game is with Gil:(

This was one of the more annoying aspects of the game since you can't even compensate with treasure found in chests since they almost all suck or base their payout on random chance, but there's an accessory that can improve the contents of chests, except for the good ones which will screw you over 100% of the time while said accessory is equipped, and the game doesn't tell you which are which, and that's if they even spawn to begin with otherwise you'll have to march back out of whatever 100 floor dungeon you were crawling from, hit a save point, and then save and reload and hope for the best next time.

And then there are enemy drops.....:ugh:

Also you have the Bazaar. You just need to find a chart that tells you what ingredients are needed for which item you want and which ones are trying to get you to sink your super rare material that one boss drops early on and the next piece is a super rare drop from a stupidly powerful enemy that only rarely spawns in the middle of nowhere and will wreck your shit even at endgame levels.

At least you have marks. Pretty much your only source of character advancement beyond the license board and levels.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5155 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »

Still chugging along at Wizardry VI. Not sure where to go at the moment. I think I prefer the castle to this area although the mines do have a giant wizard head that blocks my path. A troll tried to make me pay a toll  but I decided to decline. He promptly destroyed my party. Lesson learned.

Been toying with the idea of reinstalling Divine Divinity. I never finished the game although I loved every moment of it. From what I remember it was similar to Diablo but full of humour and in a more fleshed out world. It was also buggy as hell.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5156 on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

Man, last night work ran rather late for me so I couldn't get to animal crossing or re-familiarizing myself with where the hell I was with Wilds Arms ACF... so last nights gaming session was a bit of Labrys' scenario in P4 arena. Labrys wins the award for most annoying voice over/eng dub ever for me... I'd take the horrible cheesy voice acting of any niche' gust title from yesteryear over hearing that freakin' android utter another word...

Today however I did get to Animal Crossing. Didn't really think I could enjoy this but I think I was wrong... I can easily see how this can becoming hella-addicting to tend to on a daily basis...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5157 on: June 10, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

Man, last night work ran rather late for me so I couldn't get to animal crossing or re-familiarizing myself with where the hell I was with Wilds Arms ACF... so last nights gaming session was a bit of Labrys' scenario in P4 arena. Labrys wins the award for most annoying voice over/eng dub ever for me... I'd take the horrible cheesy voice acting of any niche' gust title from yesteryear over hearing that freakin' android utter another word...

Today however I did get to Animal Crossing. Didn't really think I could enjoy this but I think I was wrong... I can easily see how this can becoming hella-addicting to tend to on a daily basis...

Hahaha! Now I don't feel so doofus-like for buying AC!

I think I'm gonna regret selling that Sunfish I caught my first day, but it did make my first down payment on my house.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5158 on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »

Hahaha! Now I don't feel so doofus-like for buying AC!

I think I'm gonna regret selling that Sunfish I caught my first day, but it did make my first down payment on my house.

There is a sort of stigma that comes along with playing AC isn't there? I don't care! I love this game and I'm a 28 year old male. It's the perfect, relaxing Summer game IMO.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5159 on: June 10, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »

I only played the original Animal Crossing and while I liked it, the non-robust NPC interactions made things really dull, and I don't have any goddamn attention span.

I re-installed Divine Divinity a little while ago but couldn't get into it. On my old laptop it was really crash prone. I... think it might've been on this one too, I don't know.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: