Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327296 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 385064 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5175 on: June 12, 2013, 01:59:56 PM »

I have a question! I'm considering getting my son a 3DS for all the help he's giving me with my garden while I'm crutching around. Is the only difference between the regular and XL models the bigger screen? Do the games look stretched, or not as good? I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $50.

From what I've heard is that there are enough improvements with the XL to be worth getting over the vanilla.

Specifics include things like a better nub, better battery life, actual start and select buttons instead of a touch pad that you need to press down on, a clamshell design that prevents contact between the two screens when closed, and yes, a larger screen.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5176 on: June 12, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »

It's funny, I like everything about the 3DS XL except the buttons. They just look and feel cheaper than the original 3DS. No matter how many times I tell myself that they're easier to press and more comfortable than the original's, I just can't find them aesthetically pleasing.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5177 on: June 12, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »

I have a question! I'm considering getting my son a 3DS for all the help he's giving me with my garden while I'm crutching around. Is the only difference between the regular and XL models the bigger screen? Do the games look stretched, or not as good? I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $50.

I enjoy my 3DSXl (bought it from my coworker for $140--what a steal!) and probably would agree that the angle of view for the 3ds is a little bit more forgiving. I noticed then when playing Liberation Maiden, which literally requires me to hold it with my left hand--the weaker hand that can't hold stuff straight for too long. Just promise that if you do get your son the 3DSXL, make sure he doesn't play for extended periods, because I don't care what anyone says, the 3dsxl feels really heavy to me (hence poor holding/angel-ing with my left hand) compared to what I used to use before (DS Lite).

Eh, maybe because it's just my hands and dealing with heavy stuff and playing piano.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO PERFORMING PIANISTS! ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5178 on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

I enjoy my 3DSXl (bought it from my coworker for $140--what a steal!) and probably would agree that the angle of view for the 3ds is a little bit more forgiving. I noticed then when playing Liberation Maiden, which literally requires me to hold it with my left hand--the weaker hand that can't hold stuff straight for too long. Just promise that if you do get your son the 3DSXL, make sure he doesn't play for extended periods, because I don't care what anyone says, the 3dsxl feels really heavy to me (hence poor holding/angel-ing with my left hand) compared to what I used to use before (DS Lite).

Eh, maybe because it's just my hands and dealing with heavy stuff and playing piano.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO PERFORMING PIANISTS! ;)

Alternatively, get the stand that comes with Kid Icarus.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5179 on: June 12, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

XL:
+Better 3D angle
+Bigger screen
+Better battery life
+3D games, as in 3 dimensional games and not 3D oh lookie it's like it's coming right at me, tend to look better  (or so i've heard)
+The design changes that Aeolus mentioned

-More expensive
-2D side-scrolling games like Mario look worse (or so i've heard)
-less comfortable to hold for smaller hands

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5180 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »

I'm not sure if I like God Hand. Hmmmm.

Think I might consider moving on to Sakura Wars or Xenosaga... idk.

Anyway, wrist is jacked up for some reason, so I'm gonna lay off the console games for a bit. ... Also Dust, because that's also a bit RSIy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5181 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »

Anyway, wrist is jacked up for some reason, so I'm gonna lay off the console games for a bit. ... Also Dust, because that's also a bit RSIy.

Damn I missed the chance for Sakura Wars and regret it a bit because it was so weird looking.

I played some Eternal Sonata.  The bosses in this game are usually a tough challenge, defending REALLY means life and death.  Stuck at Fugue, might level up one and try again.  This game is also pretty unforgiving with merchants -- I've stocked up, but yikes.

Oh, last bitter complaint.  Camera angles in battles suck terrible butt.  I wish there was an anchor for how far or close you want it, because the "far view" is just insanely far and makes it hard to know if you're en route to the enemy.

I love the heck out of the battle system, music, and graphics.  The story is just....nonsense, but it's pleasurable drama anyways I guess.  Polka isn't very lovable though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5182 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »

Damn I missed the chance for Sakura Wars and regret it a bit because it was so weird looking.

I played some Eternal Sonata.  The bosses in this game are usually a tough challenge, defending REALLY means life and death.  Stuck at Fugue, might level up one and try again.  This game is also pretty unforgiving with merchants -- I've stocked up, but yikes.

Oh, last bitter complaint.  Camera angles in battles suck terrible butt.  I wish there was an anchor for how far or close you want it, because the "far view" is just insanely far and makes it hard to know if you're en route to the enemy.

I love the heck out of the battle system, music, and graphics.  The story is just....nonsense, but it's pleasurable drama anyways I guess.  Polka isn't very lovable though.

It's funny, because I stopped caring about everyone except Jazz, Falsetto, and Viola--probably why they were on my final team. In regards to battle, yes, you better be careful with later fights--I'm already thinking of a few boss fights that you might have trouble with. Endure the journey! :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5183 on: June 13, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »

Thanks for the 3DS info, guys. Of course, I'm sure I'd be playing certain games on it as well. It would mostly be for him, though, as I simply prefer consoles over handhelds. Hard on the neck, too.

More Tomb Raider. Poor Lara continues to be punished. It's really quite ridiculous what they put her through, let alone the fact that she even survives through it all. Must be Wonder Woman in disguise or something. Still really liking the game, though.
Last of Us is out now, and I'm super anxious to play it. The reviews are off the charts! I'll pick it up when I'm done with Tomb, unless my wife gets it for me for Father's Day. She's done odder things.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5184 on: June 13, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

Guys I am a FULL 4%(!!) into Arkham City. I am attacking this game HARDCORE!

No, seriously though I was kind of put off by it when I first started playing it b/c it didn't feel as cozy as Arkham Asylum, but I'm starting to warm up to it. Don't know what all the complaining about catwoman was about (other than the pay gate crap) as she's so far my favorite part of the game. Then again, give a Castlevania fan a whip in a video game and you've made an instant friend.

Do wish the thug chatter/banter wasn't so frequent, though. Sometimes it interrupts important plot dialogue.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5185 on: June 13, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »

Beat Gravity Rush the other day, now intent on completing Tales of Graces f. I think I've got 47 hours to date, so I think the end is in sight, though I remember Vesperia clocking in around 60 hours or so.

I think after Vesperia, I'll tackle FF XII-2. I've had it since launch, but just haven't found the time to play.
Lately I've been hankering for an RPG, and just sort of want to go on a binge.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5186 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

God Hand - Starting to get a handle on how to actually play this (guard canceling???)

Shenmue - Old lady looking for the Yamamotos didn't show back up. Explore Dobuito a bit. Played Space HaPLAYED ACTUAL FUCKING SPACE HARRIER ON MY ACTUAL FUCKING TELEVISION SET.

PDS - Beat the first boss on disc 2. Might be joining the ranks of Legend of Mana as being one of those games where I'll completely forgive the gameplay mechanics because the story and worldbuilding are so dang dandy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5187 on: June 14, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »

GodDAMN Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is fun.  Smart move buying that on a whim.  I need to revisit the entire Ogre saga. 

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5188 on: June 14, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

Still in the mines in Wizardry 6. The enemies have become easy enough to beat so I guess I have to move on elsewhere soon. Found a broken catapult thing which I guess I am supposed to repair somehow.

Finished a lot of DS games I had lately. Namely, the last boss in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings. I always seem to just give up right at the last dungeon. Not because the area is hard but rather, the effort to beat it just is not there.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5189 on: June 14, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »

I think after Vesperia, I'll tackle FF XII-2. I've had it since launch, but just haven't found the time to play.
Lately I've been hankering for an RPG, and just sort of want to go on a binge.

I still need to tackle XIII-2 as well (i presume that is what you meant and not revenant wings). Want to get that out of the way before lightning returns at the end of this year.

In other news, animal crossing is totally losing me. The problem is not the game... it is me and my unnervingly narrow taste in games. I think I've really developed a strong affinity for what I like and this just isn't it in spite of its charm.

Now Wild Arms Alter Code F..... Totally hooked on this again! Thank you "lets play" for catching me up, verbatim, on the plot thus far! I'll tell ya what, that site is a godsend for picking up backlogs. After re-reading up to where I am at, I hardly feel like I put the title down for but a week or two.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: