Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 428713 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5235 on: June 22, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »

Very close to wrapping up my FF6 run. I am not sure where to go next: I kinda wanna buy Rainbow Moon and Final Fantasy 5 is one of the Final Fantasy games I have not played for more than two hours. I am also on the fence about buying Ni No Kuni. Life is full of the tough decisions.

I'd say go with FFV. Even if it is the predecessor to FFT's and FFX-2 job systems, it got so much right on that particular attempt that its still worth playing just for that. Plus, its like the only FF game that really doesn't take itself seriously half the time which makes it a hell of a lot more palatable than most of the later FF games where its nothing but a constant JRPG soap opera.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5236 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »

Started a new game of Chrono Trigger a few nights ago to take a break from Knight of Lodis.  Gotta get ready for trivia next week :)

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5237 on: June 22, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »

Wild Arms Alter Code F- De La Metalica (or whatever the god forsaken place was called....) included, what is my estimate to be, the single most unfair puzzle in the history of my JRPG career.... anyone who played has to know what I'm talking about.... the end...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5238 on: June 22, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »

Tales of Graces F

Training characters isn't too bad.
Doing the inn request to fight Gentleman though... ugh... I'd rather spam Ataraxia 100 times than just do a single inn request.
An Isleburg with Poignant quality? F-you, just take the one I have in my inventory!
Don't have any shards capable of making Poignant... so random shard hunting hoping I get one...
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5239 on: June 22, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »

FE:Awakening. Made it through both Harvest Scramble and Lost Bloodlines 3. I now have Seliph (free Galeforce :woot:) and Chrom's sporting a new paradigm Paragon skill (which is great since he hit Paladin 15 during LB3 so I reclassed him into a Bow Knight). Meanwhile Florina has also finally hit 15 in her class of Dark Flier (more Galeforce :woot:) so now she's a Wyvern Lord working on her defense and strength for hit and run purposes. The extra levels accumulated between the two stages also have been bumping my team's stats up to or over numbers divisible by 10 which provides an extra point bonus in a stat upon pairing up. Probably going to have to hit up Golden Gaffe yet again to afford enough temporary stat boosters for the team for the next two chapters (the next bullion wont show up until a chest in chapter 20 and I may need three sets if I attempt Smash Brethren 1 between now and then; here and there).

Otherwise the crew is still the same as last time, Chrom and Est have nearly maxed out stats and are massive shit wreckers, Quan and Altena are slow but beefy mounted units, Florina can now perform hit and runs as well as continue being a ferry, Leif is still capable of jumping in when I need extra fire power or to eat a weakened kill, Athena is still there as well but is mostly a speed booster for one of the others, I'm getting more confident in Micaiah's nosfertanking abilities but I'm still not planing on fielding her yet, Alm is still training as a Tactician before he reclasses/promotes into a class that can fight, Raquesis and Moulder are still my healers, Mycen's slowed down to the point where he can do little more than chip or support attack (at least he still makes for a decent armored pack), and Mia and Amelia are still there to be a speed booster/armored pack respectfully.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5240 on: June 22, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »

Briefly played Dark Savior to make sure it works, and was confused as hell by the controls until I remembered it played like Landstalker ie hold everything diagonally to do anything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5241 on: June 23, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »

I'd say go with FFV. Even if it is the predecessor to FFT's and FFX-2 job systems, it got so much right on that particular attempt that its still worth playing just for that. Plus, its like the only FF game that really doesn't take itself seriously half the time which makes it a hell of a lot more palatable than most of the later FF games where its nothing but a constant JRPG soap opera.

Sounds like a plan. I just realized that I cannot play FF5 on my Vita, which really sucks. I have it on disc, but I am loving being able to just come and go as I please on the Vita.  I did really want to play it before I started 6 and I guess that is why I went with it. Too many games is a good problem me thinks.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5242 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »

The Last of Us:

Alright. So ah, I anticipated The Last of Us for a long time with not much of an idea in what I was getting into, and while is a great piece of work I couldn't help but feel bothered by the violence... I ended up feeling pretty bummed out when it was all over to be honest. And aside from the violence itself is the tone of the entire narrative that really has an emotional effect on me.

I wouldn't say that The Last of Us is "enjoyable" or a "fun experience" but it can keep your attention until the end and is memorable enough to make the whole thing worth it. TLOU definitely wasn't for me but I appreciate what Naughty Dog did.

That said, I wouldn't recommend this to anybody.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5243 on: June 23, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

That said, I wouldn't recommend this to anybody.

Is it just the violence or has the gameplay something to do with it? I have not gotten it yet but everyone else seems to be singing its praises. Just interested on hearing the other side of the coin before I buy it. The wouldn't reccomend this to anyone really surprised me.

I have a kind of "The Road" image in my head whenever I think of the game.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5244 on: June 23, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »

Is it just the violence or has the gameplay something to do with it? I have not gotten it yet but everyone else seems to be singing its praises. Just interested on hearing the other side of the coin before I buy it. The wouldn't reccomend this to anyone really surprised me.

Adam Sessler said it better in his review so I'll let that do the talking for me:

"The violence is intimate and unsettling, amplified by the astonishing sound design throughout the game.

Its also completely consistent with the tone established throughout.

The effect of the violence on the player, at least with myself, is something I haven't experienced in a game before. The dire, noxious, tension that, at times, evokes Dark Souls is only relieved by dispatching these living obstacles to the goal of making it through one more moment.

There is something momentarily relieving, and visually satisfying, that then gives way to the nauseating implications of the act. Naughty Dog's awareness of the violence, and its unflinching intrusion on the player's psyche is a necessary re-calibration of the role of violence in games, and will, undoubtedly, be apart of the ongoing debate in the media."

For all intent and purposes TLOU is good, very good but the experience that it offers is not commendable for everybody given how it can turn people off by it's dark nature.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5245 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

SF3 - Up to Balsamo.

Dawn of Ys - Up to some town.

Shenmue - Fed the kitten. Looking for tattoo parlors.

Anyway I disassembled my DC's GDROM unit completely, washed all of the moly off of the worm gear and worm gear teeth thing... um... left the guide rail alone. It's barely touching that anyway. It's make a different noise now.

Taking apart the DC WILL get it to read games so I think the laser is fine, still. It's a mechanical issue and I can't figure it out.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Imperial Airbase. Dungeon is just... completely featureless, full of chests, you have to blow up everything, REALLY long and... this game kind of sucks, honestly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:41:28 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5246 on: June 23, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »

FF6 - Going to teach my characters Shell, Haste 2, Safe, and Osmose before heading to Kefka's tower.

Next: Finish up Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5247 on: June 24, 2013, 05:06:30 AM »

New Vegas - I got an anti-material rifle and the thing sure can pack a punch. I think it's the first weapon I've bought since the beginning... or was it the sniper rifle? Anyway, finished the Honest Hearts DLC, which was pretty good. I'm going to explore the Mojave a bit before hitting up Dead Money next.

And what about the nightkin wearing a wig? The wackiness won't stop!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5248 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »

FTL:

People say asteroid fields are awful... yet they are a very easy way to level up your shield guy. Every asteroid hit counts as 1 xp =)
Suns are another thing though...
_Vandalier_

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5249 on: June 24, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Adam Sessler said it better in his review so I'll let that do the talking for me:

"The violence is intimate and unsettling, amplified by the astonishing sound design throughout the game.

Its also completely consistent with the tone established throughout.

The effect of the violence on the player, at least with myself, is something I haven't experienced in a game before. The dire, noxious, tension that, at times, evokes Dark Souls is only relieved by dispatching these living obstacles to the goal of making it through one more moment.

There is something momentarily relieving, and visually satisfying, that then gives way to the nauseating implications of the act. Naughty Dog's awareness of the violence, and its unflinching intrusion on the player's psyche is a necessary re-calibration of the role of violence in games, and will, undoubtedly, be apart of the ongoing debate in the media."

For all intent and purposes TLOU is good, very good but the experience that it offers is not commendable for everybody given how it can turn people off by it's dark nature.

TLOU manages, in my opinion anyway, to craft that violence into the game pretty well though. I should probably be worried about myself that violence in video games doesn't bother me at all lol....I can definitely see how the violence would bother some though.

~My name is... Odd Creature... No, that's not it! It's Roger Bacon! Master philosopher, alchemist, and eternal love child.~
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: