Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:19:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341091 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 454654 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5310 on: July 02, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Played like 5 or 6 LoL games with Starmongoose last night (thanks for the lessons btw) and had a blast.  After watching some LoL MLG this weekend I'd like to start playing it more often. Also, Star might be the most nocturnal person I've ever met o_O.  Fun times.

And Saints Row 3. There's just something about parachuting into a penthouse pool party with Kanye West's 'Power' playing. Holy alliteration.

I love that part.  Didn't know it was Kanye though.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5311 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »

It's 2am and you're not online Akanbe. You are not taking this training seriously, how will you get that esports money with this attitude?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5312 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5313 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »

My highschool history teacher told me that Irish people were allergic to the sun!

Street Fighter 4 - I SUCK AT THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

Baroque - I shot the basement angel then went back to the tower and a bunch of ghost cherubs ran out saying "HELP ME!" and then I got attacked by a bunch of fish and was having a hard time punching them to death cause roaches kept jumping at me, and then the ghost of my past self asked if I remembered the scar.

Do wish it had the same creepy non-music that the Saturn version had though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5314 on: July 03, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

^ I suck at Street Fighter as well

Finished Okami today.

50 hours and 51 minutes. Good lord that game was way longer than I expected.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5315 on: July 03, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »

So was playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 last night and they had a cutscene talking about how cheating in games is bad.....my immediate first thought? You know that sounds like a good idea in this game for a combination of irony and getting this stupid thing over already. So yeah, hacked levels like crazy. Yay. >.>
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5316 on: July 03, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

I have to chime in with the "I am bad at Street Fighter" crew; so am I. I used to play Mortal Kombat 2 in the arcades when I was in middle school. I learned to abuse Scorpion's teleport and trap people in corners. Very cheap.  I just kinda dabbled with other games over the years and nothing has ever really clicked (read: I get my ass kicked) for me.

My lady wanted to start up a fresh Borderlands 2 run. Giving the Commando the ol' college try.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5317 on: July 03, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

Beat Tomb Raider last night. I stayed impressed all the way up to the end. It really is an Uncharted game, but is better in a few ways. The weapon system. The collectibles. The ability to go back and find things that you missed to 100% each area. It's pretty much what I would have wanted Uncharted 3 to evolve into.
Like an Uncharted game, it's full of some pretty bombastic set pieces. And gorgeous graphics. And no lock on, which drove me insane in the last few battles.
I would give it an 8.7-9.0 or so. I hope they make a sequel.

I was going to start up The Last of Us, but I just found out 400 Days was just released so I'll play through that first.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5318 on: July 03, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

Also going to note that, based on training mode, SFIV doesn't seem to handle keyboard input ENTIRELY correctly if you're hitting buttons fast. And I'm not just saying this because I suck at the game. I'm saying this because I got C. Viper to launch a kick-based special move by hitting punch.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5319 on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »

Eternal Sonata:
- Falsetto is a fucking beast, especially with the Pocket Watch (hits add more time) and Beast Collar (1 hit = 2 counted, BUILDS THOSE FUCKING ECHOES)
- Retto with the thing that puts him in constant Fury, so he gets hurt a lot more but gave him the recovery orb so he's usually in tip top shape
- Whoever else

The game has such amazing environments; I'm considering doing the encore, but I hear it's a giant pain in the butt with questionable returns.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5320 on: July 03, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »

Also going to note that, based on training mode, SFIV doesn't seem to handle keyboard input ENTIRELY correctly if you're hitting buttons fast. And I'm not just saying this because I suck at the game. I'm saying this because I got C. Viper to launch a kick-based special move by hitting punch.

Were you mashing?  If so, that would explain it as certain attacks have priority over other attacks.  That's how plinking exists.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5321 on: July 03, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

Were you mashing?  If so, that would explain it as certain attacks have priority over other attacks.  That's how plinking exists.

So with keyboards, fighting games in general seem to get confused by how keypress/keyreleases are sent. Half-circles generally don't work right unless you're really deliberate about the keypresses, although SF4 also parses db, fb as a half circle so no issue there.

What I was physically pressing on the keyboard was, in sequence,

down
light kick
db
back
heavy punch

Which for c. viper should just be a crouching kick followed by some shoryuken thing.

Except it was taking the heavy punch as another kick and doing a different combo.

I THINK what was happening is that I released the first light kick button too late, and in doing so it... somehow sent another kick input to the game instead of what I was actually pressing. So it either ignored the punch entirely, or the punch and a second kick were both sent and the plinking thing you described happened.

This also might be, strictly, and issue with my laptop's keyboard.

--- edit ---

Oh wait just saw a video on plinking. It does that with almost any simultaneous button press for me :(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:56:26 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5322 on: July 03, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »

I THINK what was happening is that I released the first light kick button too late, and in doing so it... somehow sent another kick input to the game instead of what I was actually pressing. So it either ignored the punch entirely

Yeah, that's definitely what happened.  It's called negative edge.  It's useful in certain situations if you get used to it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5323 on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

PXZ: Finished chapter 7. Game's getting a bit less ridiculous about the amount of breakable kibble everywhere (plus I'm starting to get enough people to deal with it all). Anyways, I've since recruited the Reiji/Xiaomu (the NxC originals), Soma/Alisa (God Eater clowns), Gemini/Erica (various Sakura Taisen female leads), Zephyr/Leanne (the other John Woo/Gun Fu Resonance of Fate characters), and Kite/Blackrose (from dotHack for the uninitiated) with Vashyron (the best character) and Lindow (another GE clown) for support.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5324 on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »

SF4 - I don't think I have the manual dexterity for this. Conceptually, I get what I'm supposed to do in certain situations -- that, say, if Vega's jumping at me or doing some highish flying attack, I want to try to do something like a shoryuken and launch into him, for instance. Except most of the time I fuck up the button presses and just... punch at nothing. Maybe this would be a lot easier with something other than a keyboard.

Doy - Beat some other boss. It was a dragon. It didn't squirt anything but it had lasers. Also my GOD that DESERT MUSIC I want to MARRY IT.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:35:07 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: