Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 10:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340906 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 452714 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5355 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

BTW, real reason why PSX-era games aren't retro: The indie scene isn't intentionally mimicking the art style of that era yet.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2013/062813b.html

Too late.

(Although granted, this isn't so much of 'mimicking PSX era games' so much as 'blatantly ripping off assets from FFTA while claiming that they're just mimicking PSX era games' but its the thought that counts.)

Kinda like Black Sigil looking a lot like Chrono Trigger?  Still, Aivi Tran's doing the music so that interests me. 

As for gaming, I've just been playing Guitar Hero with my bandmates lately.  My guitarist and I are terrible at it, but we play it because it really helps us tighten up our rhythm and timing, which can only benefit us as a unit. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5356 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »

Should not have said anything about Life Bottles. Ended up using about 5 of them in the second battle with Bryce. s

Small update so I'm just editing this post:

Think I got really lucky. After hearing all the horror stories of how frustrating it is to steal the Daily Medicine at Riot Peak, I was surprised that I was successful the third time.

Played as Sophie for the first time in order to do it, and wow. Her B-Artes may not be much to write home about, but DEM A-ARTES! Felt so badass stun-locking an enemy for a 30+ hit combo.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:09:54 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5357 on: July 07, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »

Since it was on sale and there was a buy one get one half-off deal I finally picked up two games that I've wanted forever. I got Valkyria Chronicles and Soul Calibur V for $22. Valkyria Chronicles is extremely good, I love the art and gameplay. This game is as good as I thought it would be when it was released, but there was always other stuff in the way. I'm 9 chapters in and it has been tough, but fair. I've only lost one mission (the one with the huge tank with a million guns) and I thought Selvaria as backup was pretty bullshit and unfair, but the rest of it has been great.
That first mission with Selvaria is a bit of a breakpoint.  One of the hardest missions in the game.  When you're in similar situations later you either have an abundance of cover or an equalizer technique of sorts. 

And Darilon, man, hearing you talk about those makes me want to replay DAO again.  I beat that game twice back to back in 2011 (plus Awakening once and DA2 once), but more doesn't sound half-bad. 

So right now I think I'm in the home stretch of Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis and I will soon be looking for the next thing to play.  Right now leaning towards XenoBlade Chronicles. 

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5358 on: July 07, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

So, I just finished The Last of Us which i played on hard from start to finish.
I'm not sure if 234 death is bad or terrible ^^;
Considering I've never played an FPS on a console before, I played it stealth/melee because I can't aim worth shit with a controller.

Great game though.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5359 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »

Currently playing through the Last of Us, I think I am at around 13-14 hours in, so  I figure the end is near pretty soon. Will likely beat it either today or tomorrow.

I haven't had a game take up this much of my time in a long long while, that is, in terms of concentrated gameplay. Each session is like...an average of 4-5 hours haha! Anyways, playing through on Hard Mode...I like the lack of ammunition. Gives a sense of urgency, and forces you to think through different situations. Great game so far.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5360 on: July 07, 2013, 09:49:08 PM »

Currently playing through the Last of Us [...] I figure the end is near pretty soon.

Dude that's kind of the entire point of the game :|

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5361 on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »

Ugh. I have tried for about 4 hours to get into FF9. It just looks like shit to me on the Vita screen. I think its time to give Persona 4 Golden a real shot.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5362 on: July 08, 2013, 03:25:21 AM »

Currently playing through the Last of Us, I think I am at around 13-14 hours in, so  I figure the end is near pretty soon. Will likely beat it either today or tomorrow.

I haven't had a game take up this much of my time in a long long while, that is, in terms of concentrated gameplay. Each session is like...an average of 4-5 hours haha! Anyways, playing through on Hard Mode...I like the lack of ammunition. Gives a sense of urgency, and forces you to think through different situations. Great game so far.

This game has been a helluva lot longer than I thought -- which is great.  I'm a slow player, but I've grabbed a lot of the collectables and I've barely run out of supplies (they're, literally, everywhere when you look hard enough...'cept ammo, but the game throws you a lot of guns so you can switch up what bullet they're getting hit with at least).

Fuck the cinematics are short but perfect.

I don't know what this games does to get the grade it does, cinematics for sure, visuals yeah, music is right.  I think it's like the Shawshank Redemption of games; sure other titles have had better action, or more engaging or triumphant music, or fancy stylized settings, or deep and complicated characters.... but it's a mix of things that tell the story right all arranged with the perfect elements of a strong ass title.  So yeah, it gets the 10/10 from me, I can't wait for DLC (and I pray we get a story about Ish's adventures!!!)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5363 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

I like the fact that it takes place in Boston and uses real locations around the city, even if their geography is dead wrong (The statehouse is about 3 blocks from Park Street station for instance) creative liberties and all. Frankly I prefer the stealth in this game to stealth in other games. Mostly because if you fuck up, you don't feel like you might as well just reload the last checkpoint.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5364 on: July 08, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »

I finally got around to playing some X-COM:EU and I'm having a great time with it. I decided to name all soldiers after characters from The Simpsons. So far Marge is leading the way with 18 kills:). Bart died:(

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5365 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »

Still playing Mass Effect. Just doing some side quests before I continue with the main quest. Damn Keepers though, I am one short and can't find it anywhere.

Out of the five team mates I have at the moment, I am really enjoying Tali, Wrex and Garrus. Krogans and Quarians are quite interesting and I like finding out more about them. Garrus as well as all Turians with the exception of Saren seem very "Human" so far. It is not that bad a thing though as Ashley seems pretty boring so far. Kaiden does not seem much better although there is a three second pause before he starts talking to me at the beginning of a conversation. I don't know if this is a bug but it gives the impression he wants to shoot me in the face. There is a sixth character greyed out so I assume I will be getting her soon. My two favourite races are probably the Elcor and the Hanar.

Loading times are pretty bad at the moment. I am hoping this is only for the first game though. I love how you can get through certain missions without resorting to violence.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5366 on: July 08, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

I like the fact that it takes place in Boston and uses real locations around the city, even if their geography is dead wrong (The statehouse is about 3 blocks from Park Street station for instance) creative liberties and all.
I felt the same way about Fallout 3, since it takes place in the DC area right where I live.  Seeing certain locations, especially the Metro, was practically surreal.  My hometown was appropriated into a suburb of cannibals.  Love it. 

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5367 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »

Well animating my retro-gaming weekend routine went well. Last week I stated I was torn between Dragon Quest VI and Mother 3, though leaning toward Dragon Quest..... I sampled both and quickly changed my mind. The weirdness of Mother totally sucked me in. Made my way through chapter 1. While I love it thus far I'm having a really rough time with the multi-hit mechanic in battle.

Returned to Atelier Ayesha last night/this morning. I just won the second treasure trove contest! Yipee!! I was REAL bothered that I lost the first.... I didn't notice the little meter in the corner that predicts the outcome while selecting items for the contest damnit...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5368 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »

Hatsune Miku Project Diva f demo for PS3 is flippin' fun!  I think I'll be picking this one up in August.  I've been getting more into rhythm games lately (and getting better at them) and this one is addicting and I like the music.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5369 on: July 08, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »

Trying to get that esports money, but Star is nowhere to be found =(

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: